[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

I was going through everything to make sure all the applications and such work. I I noticed that I can only choose 2 of the screensavers they other ones say they are not compatible or something like that also when I try to take screenshots I can hear the noise in the speakers like it's taking a screenshot but it dosent save it nowhere. I was just wondering if anyone has a fix for these. I could not find a thread on either problem.

I have a G41M-ESL2 I've been trying for awhile to get it to boot into SL. I tried the G31M-ESL2 process of restoring my SL Retail Disk to my 8GB USB stick and ran the routines, edited the plist file, etc. I put the thumbstick in my gigabyte machine but the BIOS only has a USB HD option. Since the thumbstick is sort of one of those, I tried it. It did not boot from it. I then burned the 8gig thumbstick to an 8G DVD, thinking that might be a good way to get it to boot: no luck (does not boot computer). I compared the two (disk and thumbdrive) and they look the same to me in my Wind PC Hackintosh... any suggestoins?

I have a G41M-ESL2 I've been trying for awhile to get it to boot into SL. I tried the G31M-ESL2 process of restoring my SL Retail Disk to my 8GB USB stick and ran the routines, edited the plist file, etc. I put the thumbstick in my gigabyte machine but the BIOS only has a USB HD option. Since the thumbstick is sort of one of those, I tried it. It did not boot from it. I then burned the 8gig thumbstick to an 8G DVD, thinking that might be a good way to get it to boot: no luck (does not boot computer). I compared the two (disk and thumbdrive) and they look the same to me in my Wind PC Hackintosh... any suggestoins?

This being my first Gigabyte board, I ran into that same problem. Either press F12 to pull up the boot menu while it's POSTing, or go into the bios with the USB thumb drive plugged in, and go to the hard drive boot order, make sure the USB stick is first on that list, it doesn't come up as a USB HD, it comes up as a Hard Drive.. Very strange compared to other machines I've dealt with, but once you know that, it's easy to work with. I find the F12 option works best unless you intend to leave the EFI on the thumb drive (a la psystar) permanently.

I was going through everything to make sure all the applications and such work. I I noticed that I can only choose 2 of the screensavers they other ones say they are not compatible or something like that also when I try to take screenshots I can hear the noise in the speakers like it's taking a screenshot but it dosent save it nowhere. I was just wondering if anyone has a fix for these. I could not find a thread on either problem.

Sounds like a video card issue. What video card are you using, and have you followed instructions for getting that card to work? The built on card doesn't work well, you'll need an extra card.

This being my first Gigabyte board, I ran into that same problem. Either press F12 to pull up the boot menu while it's POSTing, or go into the bios with the USB thumb drive plugged in, and go to the hard drive boot order, make sure the USB stick is first on that list, it doesn't come up as a USB HD, it comes up as a Hard Drive.. Very strange compared to other machines I've dealt with, but once you know that, it's easy to work with. I find the F12 option works best unless you intend to leave the EFI on the thumb drive (a la psystar) permanently.

Thanks for the response to you and all that have suggested I use F12 or the Boot Option in the BIOS. However: it does not come up as "USB Thumbdrive" or any other such. All there is is USB HD, FD, and CD ROM, nothing like the stick... frustrating.

Thanks

Thanks for the response to you and all that have suggested I use F12 or the Boot Option in the BIOS. However: it does not come up as "USB Thumbdrive" or any other such. All there is is USB HD, FD, and CD ROM, nothing like the stick... frustrating.

Thanks

This motherboard treats USB drives as another internal hard drive plugged into your MB. The USB drive is in the "hard drive" options. So, use F12. Press "Hard drive" and NOT the USB drive. Then it'll ask which drive you want - choose your USB drive there.

This is also a great way to multi-boot with Win7 without needing to partition your hard drive. Simply install Win7 on another drive - I unplugged my Snow Leopard drive first. Then plug Snow Leopard back in after Win7 is installed. Use F12 whenever you want to boot to the Win7 drive - again, select "Hard Drive" on the first screen, then select your other drive. Oh, Chameleon updates have fixed the reason I used F12 for Win7, so that's not needed anymore. But it's still really easy to do!

This motherboard treats USB drives as another internal hard drive plugged into your MB. The USB drive is in the "hard drive" options. So, use F12. Press "Hard drive" and NOT the USB drive. Then it'll ask which drive you want - choose your USB drive there.

I could have sworn that was what I said.. But I guess your description is utterly clear. You must know how to use a computer if you want to be a HACKintoshER... :)

I could have sworn that was what I said.. But I guess your description is utterly clear. You must know how to use a computer if you want to be a HACKintoshER... :)

I 100% apologize: I completely did not get it that a USB Drive would show up as a "Drive" and not a "USB" anything... I went in, re-enabled a CMOS setting for USB Mass Storage and it booted up! Now I'll do a couple of things to the current configured operating system before I go at it in earnest.. Thank you both! Oh... btw: I have a few successful Hacks laying around here: A Dell Mini 10v, a Dell Mini 9, a Dell 1505 Laptop, and an MSI Wind PC... but I really want a big processor dual boot machine to call my own, so this one is the one I hope I'm finally satisfied with!

Thanks again!

Sounds like a video card issue. What video card are you using, and have you followed instructions for getting that card to work? The built on card doesn't work well, you'll need an extra card.

Thanks, It was a video card issue I got it all working now. except for sleep wont wake up after i got card working lol.

.....And we go round in circles.....lol

Like I posted earlier, I was having issues with ethernet not showing as built-in, and also I didn't have "Restart automatically after a power failure" showing up in Energy Saver. I searched for solutions for days, and finally fixed both issues by adding Device (LAN0) with "built-in", and changing the device id for my PX40 in my dsdt to 27b9. My G41-ES2L works just about perfectly now.

Ok: I used the G31M guide and got this G41M working like a top! I don't know if there are any features that aren't working: the Video Card is doing great (9500GT), the CPU is being read correctly and running with both cores, the on-board audio is cranking, lan, etc: can't find any feature that isn't working (at least not yet!). Thanks to you and all of you for your help, assistance, and mostly patience for us "noobs"!

One question I have: what about upgrading software, especially the operating system (10.6.2). What issues or what concerns/procedures to bring this up to the .2 level? I read that there is an issue with Sleep Enable, so I'm ready for that, but anything else, or is there a preferred process?

Thanks again!

Dennis

Just use software update to get to 10.6.2, no big deal, for the most part. Delete the sleepenabler.kext file from the E/E dir before the update (and update the kext cache) then replace it with the 10.6.2 one after the update.

Did you patch the DSDT for the audio, or does the G31 guide have a better trick? I'd REALLY like to have my onboard audio working, without learning how to hack my DSDT.

Just use software update to get to 10.6.2, no big deal, for the most part. Delete the sleepenabler.kext file from the E/E dir before the update (and update the kext cache) then replace it with the 10.6.2 one after the update.

Did you patch the DSDT for the audio, or does the G31 guide have a better trick? I'd REALLY like to have my onboard audio working, without learning how to hack my DSDT.

Thanks: I hacked the DSDT but it was a breeze. The G3 guide lays it out okay, but I had to do some trial and error before I fully understood and had success. Let me know if I can help explain any of it if you like, and thanks again!

Dencraig: Do you have your video string in your DSDT? Does your video card have a DVI and a VGA port on it? Maybe your DSDT will work for me, could I have a copy of it? The DSDT I'm using right now is one I got from this thread, it works better than the one I tried to generate automatically for myself.

Dencraig: Do you have your video string in your DSDT? Does your video card have a DVI and a VGA port on it? Maybe your DSDT will work for me, could I have a copy of it? The DSDT I'm using right now is one I got from this thread, it works better than the one I tried to generate automatically for myself.

Ok: I deleted the sleep kext and ran the kext utility. I rebooted once to make sure it still seemed to work okay before upgrading to 10.6.2, and it did. Now I have run the upgrade to 10.6.2, restarted, but have a black screen, no icons or anything else, but a mouse cursor... I don't get it? There is no pretty background, only blackness but a working mouse cursor. I restarted it a couple of time, and at least once or twice using a graphicsmode command (graphicsmode=1024x768x32) but it still has the black screen... how or what did I do?

Thanks in advance! ;)

I got almost everything working. My internet is not working. I tried everything. Installed Realtek1000.kext aswell as the installer but the files are all from 2007 (where do I get R1000SL?) and yeah what can i do?

Dave

i used the RealtekR1000sl.kext updated for snow (hence the "sl") from stellarola

http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/23732914...xt-post-updated.

also use the step "6 to activate bonjour networking" from the Install Guide Support Files from, blackosx: Vanilla Retail 10.6 with Chameleon v2 RC1 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L ?

http://www.mediafire.com/?qodenegmymq

this combo worked fine for me

hope that helps.

Read the thread, and you'd have figured it out by now.

Okay good afternoon everyone...... I would like to say thanks for this thread and of course the multiple guides that are out there. I have a dual boot setup with SL and XP. I am waiting on my graphics card to show that I ordered but I have everything working great. I would like to add how I managed to get my setup working.

Step 1. I downloaded Empire EFI.

Step 2. burn Empire EFI on a disc and boot from it.

Step 3. remove the disc as prompted and insert Retail SL disc.

Step 4. Partition HDD GUID with 2 partitions 1. Mac Journaled 2. Fat 32.

Step 5. Install SL to first Partition you will get an error at the end of install stating the disc could not be mounted for restart or something of that nature.

Step 6. Reinsert the Empire EFI disc it will boot except this time just select you Mac Partition.

Step 7. Either go into post installation on the Empire EFI disc or download the ES2L tool kit mentioned before run the myHack installer. Selecting which options apply to you.

Step 8. Go To Kexts.com your built it ethernet should be working at this point. DL the Azalia Audio and the RTL1000SL from this site as well as Kext Utilty. Drag the RTL kext onto the kext utility. and run the Azalia audio package.

Step 9. Remove the Empire EFI disc and reboot.

(note you should have a fully functioning system at this point I recommend following the dsdt guide from the link on the first page of this thread.) (Audio note. I had the same issue with voodooHDA on my system which is why I chose the azalia audio package. This gives great audio but no mic inputs)(with Azalia Audio package no need to dsdt hack onboard audio)

Now if you want to dualboot XP follow these steps.

1. Insert Windows XP disc and press any key

2. select the fat32 partition in my case I named it windows under disk utility to eliminate any confusion.)

3. quick format to NTFS and install everything is standard at this point.

4. Download and install what ever drivers and such you need.

5. your system will only boot to windows at this point so dont panic.

6. once your done with the windows install siimply go to run under the start menu and type cmd

7. This will open a dos type window. type diskpart.

8. At the DISKPART prompt, type:list partition

Make note of the number of the partition that you want to mark as active.

At the DISKPART prompt, type:

select partitionn

Select the partition, n, you want to mark as active.

active.

Upon reboot you should go back to the chameleon boot loader and be able to select an OS at boot.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Okay good afternoon everyone...... I would like to say thanks for this thread and of course the multiple guides that are out there. I have a dual boot setup with SL and XP. I am waiting on my graphics card to show that I ordered but I have everything working great. I would like to add how I managed to get my setup working.

Step 1. I downloaded Empire EFI.

Step 2. burn Empire EFI on a disc and boot from it.

Step 3. remove the disc as prompted and insert Retail SL disc.

Step 4. Partition HDD GUID with 2 partitions 1. Mac Journaled 2. Fat 32.

Step 5. Install SL to first Partition you will get an error at the end of install stating the disc could not be mounted for restart or something of that nature.

Step 6. Reinsert the Empire EFI disc it will boot except this time just select you Mac Partition.

Step 7. Either go into post installation on the Empire EFI disc or download the ES2L tool kit mentioned before run the myHack installer. Selecting which options apply to you.

Step 8. Go To Kexts.com your built it ethernet should be working at this point. DL the Azalia Audio and the RTL1000SL from this site as well as Kext Utilty. Drag the RTL kext onto the kext utility. and run the Azalia audio package.

Step 9. Remove the Empire EFI disc and reboot.

(note you should have a fully functioning system at this point I recommend following the dsdt guide from the link on the first page of this thread.) (Audio note. I had the same issue with voodooHDA on my system which is why I chose the azalia audio package. This gives great audio but no mic inputs)(with Azalia Audio package no need to dsdt hack onboard audio)

Now if you want to dualboot XP follow these steps.

1. Insert Windows XP disc and press any key

2. select the fat32 partition in my case I named it windows under disk utility to eliminate any confusion.)

3. quick format to NTFS and install everything is standard at this point.

4. Download and install what ever drivers and such you need.

5. your system will only boot to windows at this point so dont panic.

6. once your done with the windows install siimply go to run under the start menu and type cmd

7. This will open a dos type window. type diskpart.

8. At the DISKPART prompt, type:list partition

Make note of the number of the partition that you want to mark as active.

select partitionn

Select the partition, n, you want to mark as active.

active.

Upon reboot you should go back to the chameleon boot loader and be able to select an OS at boot.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for the information. What partition do you recommend to mark active? I think there will be two: one that will be NTFS (with Windows on it) and another that will be an Apple partition. I don't think you are saying to mark the Apple partition active, right? So you are marking the Windows partition as active? I'm a little confused: or is there a partition I'm unaware of?

Thanks.

quick side note. I am currently running in 64bit and man is it fast however my azalia audio package only seems to work under 32bit. I guess I will play around with a few things and see what I can do but wanted to make it known that the audio only works under 32 bit everything else seems to be great.

Yeah, I run in 64bit as well. The azalia audio package is seriously deprecated, I'm not surprised it's 32bit only, the only machine that Apple made that needed that was the first Intel generation of Mac Mini, and because of it's EFI, it can't run 64bit, so no reason to update that. It's too bad this audio chipset is so stubborn. My USB audio adapter works ok in 64bit, but I have no control of the volume level, it's always at one constant level.