EVGA x58 Installation Guide

JaE-V

136 posts in this topic

Alright, i followed your tutorial again on a fresh hard drive, and it worked only thing thats not working right now is my audio... Any suggestions for that by chance I added the voodoo audio kext to S/L/E folder and i still got nothing.

edited ok nevermind, i just reinstalled the voodoo audio file using kext helper and it worked.. I have Snow Leopard working 100% thanks

Hi

Somehow, I made it thru. Thanks a lot. Your DSDT.aml file was incredible. I'm happy as hell.

But because of my VGA card 3870 using ATY_Init.kext, I can seem to get into 32 bit mode. Only safe mode, -v -f -x is working. I think I will ask this thing to DD since he has the same VGA as mine.

Thanks for your efforts.

JP

Hey JaE-V, great effort, as always :)

I got everything running by using DD's 4.0 rc script from UD5 thread in tutorials section.

* Installed 10.6 from 10.5.8, on a separate drive, however it gave me a nice error thingy window in the end.

* Updated DD's script (removed jmicron, ati driver, added voodooHDA + fakesmc).

* Installed DSDT.

* Added my old gfx strings, busratio=20 flag to boot.plist (in /Extra).

* Updated caches.

* Booted separate drive using updated chameleon (if you try to boot 10.6 using old chameleon = KP).

* Hanged on AppleTyMCEDriver, rebooted back to 10.5, nuked AppleTyMCEDriver :(

* Booted again, took a while. Luckily, gfx strings worked :) Entered console, disabled mdworker (spotlight indexing).

* Rebuilt caches using DD's script, updated cpu/machine info.

* Rebooted, enabled mdwoker (spotlight indexing), done.

So far seems stable. Will try to update my P6T machine tomorrow.

Going to test this system, if it seems stable 'll probably change 10.5.8 to 10.6 on my ssd.

dam radov i want an SSD so bad lol but no cash haha. makes everything faster...great you have snow running too. thanks for the tut Jae-v. If you guys have issues you could also check my tutorial at INFINITEMAC

A_RocC, great, will do :whistle:

If you go for SSD, go for OCZ Vertex, they are relatively cheap (yeah, I know, relatively for ssd) and are pretty damn fast. You can get 60gb ~200 right now I think, maybe less. I use it to boot/host os, all my {censored} (music, etc) are on usual wd drive ;)

lol ill wait till cheap ssd's comeout lol. maybe 60 GB for 100 dollars lol i wish...i need to get one it can be my OS drive. all my files are in 1 hard drive which is bad. Once its dead, its dead all my files are gone lol. need to buy one too for backup

Anyone know how to make network work in x86_64 mode? Everything seems to work, except the network :wacko:

Your ethernet isnt working in x64? Mine works perfectly, i can upload all my networking files if need be. I threw -x64 in my boot.plist so it goes by default.

same here. i have the kext from leopard but it only works in 32 bit mode and i get a kp when i try to boot in to that.

assuming you have the x58? all the kext's in the files i posted are x64 compatible and should work. An ati card with non compatible x64 drivers would cause a panic, i doubt an ethernet driver would.

lol ill wait till cheap ssd's comeout lol. maybe 60 GB for 100 dollars lol i wish...i need to get one it can be my OS drive. all my files are in 1 hard drive which is bad. Once its dead, its dead all my files are gone lol. need to buy one too for backup

lol i know, SSD is wayyyyyy outta my price range, i'm gonna pick up 6 gigs of more ddr3

dam radov i want an SSD so bad lol but no cash haha. makes everything faster...great you have snow running too. thanks for the tut Jae-v. If you guys have issues you could also check my tutorial at INFINITEMAC

awesome guide man, i also have the coolermaster v8 but i'm way too scared to push my proc that far

Your ethernet isnt working in x64? Mine works perfectly, i can upload all my networking files if need be. I threw -x64 in my boot.plist so it goes by default.

Can you upload your networking files?

Yeah my network does not work in 64 mode. I am guessing I have a different RealtekR1000.kext from you? Yeah I want to boot into 64 mode by default, except I need working network.

Here's the link to my RealtekR1000

http://rapidshare.com/files/274085476/Real...0.kext.zip.html

Yeah if you uploaded yours that would be great.

Btw, do you have yours installed in /S/L/E or in /Extra ?

Thanks guys. So far (after one day) and some extensive testing my system seems to be pretty rock-solid stable. I guess 'll attempt to upgrade my main hdd tonight (oh the joy of endless back ups).

Does anyone know if this works with the x58 SLI?

Tempest

Arent all the x58's sli/crossfire compatible?

Yeah my network does not work in 64 mode. I am guessing I have a different RealtekR1000.kext from you? Yeah I want to boot into 64 mode by default, except I need working network.

Here's the link to my RealtekR1000

http://rapidshare.com/files/274085476/Real...0.kext.zip.html

Yeah if you uploaded yours that would be great.

Btw, do you have yours installed in /S/L/E or in /Extra ?

Thanks guys. So far (after one day) and some extensive testing my system seems to be pretty rock-solid stable. I guess 'll attempt to upgrade my main hdd tonight (oh the joy of endless back ups).

Sure will but i'm at work at the moment, can tonight...maybe A_roc can upload his...I dont have the realtek kext installed my stuff worked by default

First off I'd like to thank jaev, Aroc and everyone the communtity for coming together and getting this done.

I went ahead and pushed forward with installing snow leopard on a new hard drive from my existing 10.5.6 OS.

I followed both jaev and Aroc guide and managed to get snow up in running. I was able to put my com.apple.boot.plst together, copy over the required extensions and boot into snow.

While running kextutility, I KP'd. Figures since I didn't boot with -x -v.

Rebooted, figuered out how to add -x -v in chameleon, ran kextutility =KP

rebooted w/ -x-v, Added smbios to snow dictertory, added themes in Extra/Extensions(not sure if that did anything).

Ran kextutility it worked

I KP'ed a few times in between, hard to remember where and when, but haven't since.

networks running, graphics up, everything seems good. Is there a way to check to see if my system is in good shape, other then experiencing KP's?

First off I'd like to thank jaev, Aroc and everyone the communtity for coming together and getting this done.

I went ahead and pushed forward with installing snow leopard on a new hard drive from my existing 10.5.6 OS.

I followed both jaev and Aroc guide and managed to get snow up in running. I was able to put my com.apple.boot.plst together, copy over the required extensions and boot into snow.

While running kextutility, I KP'd. Figures since I didn't boot with -x -v.

Rebooted, figuered out how to add -x -v in chameleon, ran kextutility =KP

rebooted w/ -x-v, Added smbios to snow dictertory, added themes in Extra/Extensions(not sure if that did anything).

Ran kextutility it worked

I KP'ed a few times in between, hard to remember where and when, but haven't since.

networks running, graphics up, everything seems good. Is there a way to check to see if my system is in good shape, other then experiencing KP's?

Run software update and install that remote client, if it installs successfully you should be good to go...There's a weird issue with rebuilding cache and spot light in snow

Nice guide. Short 'n sweet. Everythings working smooth on my x58 sli le (757) except ethernet.

Worked on first try :D

i have a D0 stepping so its so much better than my C0 i7 920. 4 Ghz easily. with C0 stepping, 4 ghz would reach 70 -80 C, but with D0 theres much less voltage so less temp.

dam what cpu cooler r you using? I always hit 85 @ 4ghz on my DO