[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

• Please log in to reply
3675 replies to this topic

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,053 posts
Well done Schwinn555. Hopefully you'll have more time tomorrow to do some testing with it :)

Just and update on the error mentioned by h4ck1nt05h
/usr/libexec/kextd[10]: FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "????????".

I have just booted in to my backup partition where yesterday I added another install of SL. This uses the same Chameleon boot files from the Cham partition that I boot my main system with.

When I installed it yesterday, it KP'd after a short while, similar to many reports here. But after running the terminal kextcache command I posted earlier (but replacing the SnowLeopard references with Backup) and rebooting, it has since been stable.

Now if I go to terminal and type grep UTF-8 /var/log/system.log to view any UTF-8 errors I get a long list up until yesterday at 18:06.. Then they stop. This was around the time I was entered the kextcache command for testing when I was answering HMillers questions. So I am thinking the kextcache command fixes the FIXME error?

I will wipe my backup partition and do a re-install of SL again (from 10.5.8) to test this theory.

EDIT: Okay so this is what I have done (using 32-bit kernel)

• Boot in to my 10.5.8 system.
• Open DiskUtility and erase by Backup partition with a new name BackupSL.
• Check permissions box in get info window for BackupSL partition.
• Mount 10A432 disc image.
• From Terminal, do the open osinstall command and start installer and install to BackupSL partition.
• When completed, reboot, using F12 to select correct HD. From Chameleon, select BackupSL partition and boot.
• Watch introduction video, enter questions etc...
• Start to use system and KP!
• So hit reset switch on case, reboot back in to Chameleon and select BackupSL partition but this time with Verbose option.
• Once booted, open Terminal and type grep UTF-8 /var/log/system.log to see 15 FIXME errors with the wrong time (from first boot) and 16 errors now with the correct time from this boot.
• Next type in Terminal

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/BackupSL/System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -v -l -t -m /Volumes/BackupSL/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/BackupSL/System/Library/Extensions/

Note: The purple statement should all be in on line with a space when the line breaks occur here

• Then reboot
• Once booted, open Terminal and type grep UTF-8 /var/log/system.log again to see no new errors and system seems stable. I am typing this from it.

Hope this helps anyone :)

HMiller

HMiller

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
@Schwinn555 64 bit is the default as blackosx mentions in his guide, use -x32 kernel flag to boot 32 bit.

@blackosx Yes, I can install from the DVD image restored to a HDD partition when I boot from the DVD image partition. I would say it does seem to work better. Having said that, there is way too much unpredictability for me from any of these install types. Like for example, this new install with run great for an hour, survive a couple reboots with no KPs, then all of a sudden it will KP after bringing up the desktop on the next boot. If SL survives a few minutes past boot with no KP, then it will not KP at all during that boot. I am going to walk through your suggestions for checking the log and fixing caches net KP I get.

@zikman's method is very interesting because Chameleon 2 overlays the functionality of some kexts within the loader itself. Possibly there could be a more fundamental conflict related to the run time kext patching done inside Chameleon 2?

brushedtooth

brushedtooth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• Once booted, open Terminal and type grep UTF-8 /var/log/system.log to see 15 FIXME errors with the wrong time (from first boot) and 16 errors now with the correct time from this boot.
• Next type in Terminal

sudo kextcache -v -l -t -m /Volumes/BackupSL/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/BackupSL/System/Library/Extensions/

Note: The purple statement should all be in on line with a space when the line breaks occur here

• Then reboot
• Once booted, open Terminal and type grep UTF-8 /var/log/system.log again to see no new errors and system seems stable. I am typing this from it.

Hope this helps anyone :D

A variation on this I booted into my SL install as a single user and executed the chown and kextcache and so far no KP in 32 bit mode.

h4ck1nt05h

h4ck1nt05h

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
I was about to post the same thing as brushedtooth. Ran the commands in single user mode and 32-bit is running flawlessly. I tried booting in 64-bit and got a KP after about 2 minutes. Just as blackosx said, I no longer get the FIXME error in my system log.

Now I'm just working on sound. Thanks for the help!

HMiller

HMiller

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
What MD5 sum do you all get for the 10A432 images you are using?

Googling indicates MD5 = 1d1fb7eca55470143c153f7f902b4ada _might_ be the correct sum, but I am having trouble confirming this.

(if you have not used md5 before, just open terminal and run md5 "dmg image name" )

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,053 posts
@brushedtooth & h4ck1nt05h
This is great news. Thanks for confirmation of the terminal commands working but from Single user mode. I think I should update the guide with this.

@HMiller - The MD5 of my .dmg is 1d1fb7eca55470143c153f7f902b4ada

h4ck1nt05h

h4ck1nt05h

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Just wanted to give you guys an update with my Snow Leopard install...

Using LegacyHDA, I always got errors similar to these:
Aug 22 14:41:51 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1459 goto Exit
Aug 22 14:41:51 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 172 goto Exit
Aug 22 14:41:51 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1459 goto Exit
Aug 22 14:41:51 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 172 goto Exit

I tried every one I could find in the forums for the ALC888, but they all came up with something similar to that. I finally got sound working using VoodooHDA.kext (ALC888 on Gigabyte EP35-DS3L). In order to use this, you must boot with 32-bit kernel. Here's how I did it:

1. Launch Terminal and login as root:
sudo -s
[enter your password]

2. Remove any LegacyHDA.kext from /Extra/Extensions:
rm -Rf /Extra/LegacyHDA.kext

3. Download the VoodooHDA.kext from the google code page (just google VoodooHDA)

4. Copy the VoodooHDA.kext to your /System/Library/Extensions folder:
cp -R [drag in VoodooHDA.kext] /System/Library/Extensions

5. Change permissions on the VoodooHDA.kext file (2 commands):
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensons/VoodooHDA.kext

6. Rebuild kextcache (all 1 line):
sudo kextcache -v -l -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

7. Modify your com.apple.Boot.plist file to boot in 32-bit kernel. Change:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

To:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-x32</string>

^^ If you already have kernel flags in place, just add a space and type -x32. This forces OS X to boot with 32-bit kernel, required by VoodooHDA

Reboot! You should now have audio-out. I hope that I can find a solution for 64-bit kernel and sound, but this will do for now.

Good luck!

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,053 posts
@ h4ck1nt05h

Thanks for keeping us informed with your install and your input for the installation process is valuable.
Here is a 64bit version of VoodooHDA.

Though, please don't take this the wrong way but I have to say that this is a guide for the GA-EP45-DS3L and although our mobos are similar and there will almost certainly be common ground for installing Snow Leopard, I would like to keep this thread clean and aimed at getting 10.6 installed and optimised for the EP45-DS3L which doesn't include using VoodooHDA. So can I ask kindly for users with different mobo's to not divert the topic away from it's intended purpose and keep specific fixes for those boards somewhere else.

Thanks ;)

h4ck1nt05h

h4ck1nt05h

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
No offense taken :P I can totally understand that. Thanks for helping me get up and running, I'm now booted in 64-bit kernel and everything is running smoothly. Thanks again for the 64-bit VoodooHDA!

Schwinn555

Schwinn555

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Spent a bit more time trying to get things going.
used DSDT patcher 1.0.1e (OSX app) to make my own DSDT file.
Here's my error messages from Verbose mode boot:
"Mac OS X Version: Not yet set"
"Error Code: 0x0000000000000002"
"Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0..../Releasex86_64"
I have set Kernel flag "-x32" in Boot.plist
tried >< setting same 64 bit kernel trying to load.
Ideas? thanks

I haven't messed with UUID error fix or SMBIOS these are more for cosmetic fixes right?, rather then a fix for booting Snow Leopard?

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,053 posts

No offense taken ;) I can totally understand that. Thanks for helping me get up and running, I'm now booted in 64-bit kernel and everything is running smoothly. Thanks again for the 64-bit VoodooHDA!

No problem. Thanks for understanding :P I still would like to hear any general hints and tips though :(

@Schwinn555 - I don't know what to say to help you. Everything you need to know is in the guide and here in this thread.
What hardware are you running?

derpuma

derpuma

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
I tried but still hanging here:

I boot in SL -x32 -v -s (Singel user mode)
After the root prompt i tried the two lines above but i get errors

after chown it says - read only file system
after kextcache it says no Folder Startup/... available

What am i doing wrong.
Tried also to boot up Singel Usere #root with exit into Desktop an tried to make the two lines in terminal befor KP comes up... Same errors...

Where is my error in this?

Also tried OSXTools Kext Cache & Repair Extensions in SL Desktop before KP comes up, but OSXTools do not work...

Is there another way to fix the ownership and clear cache and setup new mkext???

h4ck1nt05h

h4ck1nt05h

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
@derpuma: When booting into single-user mode, you must mount the drive as read/write (it's read-only by default). To do this, type:

mount -uw /

It may display a message about removing orphaned files or just return you to the prompt. Either way it is normal and you can now run the commands.

Also, if you are booted to the drive that you are trying to fix, do not include the /Volumes/BackupSL. (You only do this if you are trying to fix a drive other than the SL boot drive you are using) Try running the commands like this:

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions

Press Return. You should not see anything, it should just return you to the prompt if successful.

Then type this all on one line:

kextcache -v -l -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

I always get an error about JMicron.kext dependency, but it works.

Then you can type:

reboot

To restart your computer.

Good luck, hope this helps!

squidwardd

squidwardd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Awesome! I am a few steps behind but will give this a try this week. I still haven't created a DSDT.

As usual, thanks to all for their time, energy, effort, and most of all for sharing!

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,053 posts
@derpuma - Sorry, I forgot to mention about mounting the drive first.

@h4ck1nt05h - Thanks for helping here and supplying the correct information. I have updated the guide to include this. :)

@squidwardd - Hi mate - Jump onboard.

Schwinn555

Schwinn555

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Thanks for your help. I confess I'm running on an Asus board. Trying another install method getting the same results. It will work in time. Yours was the first one that was straight forward and easy to follow how to do info. later

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,053 posts

Thanks for your help. I confess I'm running on an Asus board. Trying another install method getting the same results. It will work in time. Yours was the first one that was straight forward and easy to follow how to do info. later

Ah!.. well thanks for being honest. You should have said from the start to keep any issues / posts relevant for that so as not to confuse this thread with eroneous information for users with the GA-EP45-DS3L. :)

How about creating a signature and adding your system details so other users can help give you accurate info?

But the general principle of this install should work for you though your problem is going to be searching out what kext's and fixes are needed for your board. And I think that patching the DSDT.aml is more important for your board too.

But good luck with it.

YoYelloW

YoYelloW

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 135 posts
tried this, and getting it to boot on my system (DS3P, has same specs overall), thou i keep getting kernal panics when system tries to get into desktop

panics from mdworker, some systemdirecorysd etc. any idea?

i didnt use a homemade SMbios kext maybe that might give problems? (says its a 8.1 imac)

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,053 posts
I don't think the SMBIOS will have any influence on the stability of the system.
Other references to this problem I have found all point to repairing permissions and the kextcache command from single user mode. Have to tried Kext Utility? Double click it and let it run in SL to repair permissions.

derpuma

derpuma

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hey, i am a few hours in SL and i can say stable and no KP.

Only thing that will not work is sound. Cause I do not have a running WINDOWS System i am not able to make a dsdt.aml File with Sound Option.

Is there another way to do that? Can someone explain how?
I am on a GA-EP35-DS3...

pls :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy