[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

First off, great guide. Rebooted to working Audio, video, and wireless: awesome!

I currently have three issues with my D620 (Core duo, Intel 945):

1) I've specified a timeout in my Boot.plist (both in /Extra and the standard location) and I still can't get Chameleon 2RC3 to boot SL without pressing enter.

2) Sleep doesn't work. This isn't a huge deal right now, but it's not perfect ;)

3) If I close the lid on the laptop, the video won't come back. It's definitely still running. I press keys and I hear the 'beep', so it seems the machine's still running, just no video output.

Has anyone encountered these issues?

First off, great guide. Rebooted to working Audio, video, and wireless: awesome!

I currently have three issues with my D620 (Core duo, Intel 945):

1) I've specified a timeout in my Boot.plist (both in /Extra and the standard location) and I still can't get Chameleon 2RC3 to boot SL without pressing enter.

I woudn't be futzing with two boot.plists if I were you. Leave the 'standard one' alone and just use the /Extra version. Feel free to post it here for us to look at.

2) Sleep doesn't work. This isn't a huge deal right now, but it's not perfect :)

Are you running NullCPUPowerManagement or Disabler.kext? You need working vanilla power management for sleep to work.

3) If I close the lid on the laptop, the video won't come back. It's definitely still running. I press keys and I hear the 'beep', so it seems the machine's still running, just no video output.

Has anyone encountered these issues?

Asked and answered in this very thread. Check my posts on the previous page for the information you seek.

Want to hear something crazy?

I have a D620, NVIDIA graphics, and a D620, Intel Graphics both at the same (latest) rev bios. I used Ubuntu to copy out my DSDT from each machine, disassembled the code and ran a diff on the two disassembled texts. Absolutely no difference. Zero. Zilch. Nada. None. I knew the only difference in the two machines was supposed to be graphics, but there are not even hooks to graphics in the DSDT, only displays.

OK Guys, I got out my Ubuntu live Cd and followed instructions, did my own DSDT.dsl dump, I posted it in case it could be useful for comparison, in the meantime, I replaced Leppys DSDT.dsl file with mine and noticed that I did not get the panic on launch of Activity monitor as was happening with his DSDT, also, i can now see in the system profiler that the Video Card is no longer listed as a "go" but the actual NVS 110M EFI and it now shows all the information about my memory stick, before, it was "no info found"

Consolation, thanks for your help as well, I did what you said about putting the 3 kexts in s/l/e and all seem to work, only, still no tap response from the trackpad after wake from sleep :wacko: Ok, edit, not so sure about this upload deal after 3 tries, but here goes

T2600, NV 1400x900, 1gb Ram, Wifi broadcom

DSDT.zip

What temperatures are you folk getting running DSDT/no disabler; mine are hovering around 50~60 mark - which is about 10 degrees more than with disabler. However it's bloody hot outside; 30+ degrees today - so my office is bit warmer than usual. 60 is not too hot, but it does cause the fan to run more than before. Noisy and not great for battery life.

Oh, attached is my raw DSDT file (under 64bit Debian/XFCE) most diffs seem to be due to slightly different compilers etc. Specs in sig, 2+1GiB RAM.

DSDT.tar.gz

What temperatures are you folk getting running DSDT/no disabler; mine are hovering around 50~60 mark - which is about 10 degrees more than with disabler. However it's bloody hot outside; 30+ degrees today - so my office is bit warmer than usual. 60 is not too hot, but it does cause the fan to run more than before. Noisy and not great for battery life.

Oh, attached is my raw DSDT file (under 64bit Debian/XFCE) most diffs seem to be due to slightly different compilers etc. Specs in sig, 2+1GiB RAM.

Temperatures are in that range here as well. I think that when the Apple .kext is in control of the fans, they run much more conservatively than normal because Steve Jobs really, really hates noise. :wacko: Once the fans kick in, temperatures drop into the mid to high 40's.

Not much different at all. I made mine with the Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit live cd.

Here's the diff:

3c3
<  * AML Disassembler version 20061109
---
>  * AML Disassembler version 20091214
5c5
<  * Disassembly of DSDT.aml, Sat Feb  6 15:04:07 2010
---
>  * Disassembly of NVI/DSDT.bin, Fri Feb  5 10:37:54 2010
11c11,12
<  *	 Revision		 0x01
---
>  *	 Revision		 0x01 **** ACPI 1.0, no 64-bit math support
>  *	 Checksum		 0x11
15,16c16,17
<  *	 Creator ID	   "INTL"
<  *	 Creator Revision 0x20050624 (537200164)
---
>  *	 Compiler ID	  "INTL"
>  *	 Compiler Version 0x20050624 (537200164)
18c19
< DefinitionBlock ("DSDT.aml", "DSDT", 1, "INT430", "SYSFexxx", 0x00001001)
---
> DefinitionBlock ("NVI/DSDT.aml", "DSDT", 1, "INT430", "SYSFexxx", 0x00001001)
2343c2344
<					 Name (_CID, 0x010CD041)
---
>					 Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C01"))
2891c2892
<					 Name (_CID, 0x310CD041)
---
>					 Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C31"))

Huh. Here's my untouched DSDT.dsl from an Ubuntu dump. My machine has 2x2GB of RAM, nVidia graphics, high-res screen and the fingerprint scanner. If you could do a diff bewteen this and yours, I'd be interested to see the results. I have the latest BIOS revision (A10).

Same machine, minus fingerprint scanner and 2 GB memory.

Here's the diff, which is considerable in this case - large enough it won't post in code quotes.

diff_sa22c.txt.zip

Same machine, minus fingerprint scanner and 2 GB memory.

Here's the diff, which is considerable in this case - large enough it won't post in code quotes.

This is a bit odd, might explain why sac's dsdt kps other hackies - where as leppy's works fine. The files are pretty much the same; diff has decided the two are completely different due to extra white space (CRs?) in one file. If you actually look at the methods, they are the same. Attached is screenshot of same part of the two DSDTs in the diff output, side by side in textwrangler. Now, can formatting change the compiled version? Or is white space ignored at compile time, as is usually the case?

diff.png

I have a little favour to ask that's slightly off-topic. Attached is GioFX's OpenMark, an openGL benchmark tool. I'd like to compare nv7300go to intel's 950, and CD to C2D 620 machines. If you can run the app, select "run Benchmark" and post your final result. My nv/C2D scores 5900; to put it in perspective: X1600 on early intel macs pull ~12000, an ATI9800 on a G4 gets about 9500 and a decent modern GPU should get about 30000. So yeah, our GPUs are barely deserving of the name :) But, I'm interested in seeing the comparison, and if different CPUs matter - especially for 950s. OpenMark is a reasonably crude tool, but good enough for this purpose I think.

I you prefer, feel free to pm the results so as not to pollute the thread; I'll post a little matrix when I get enough data points.

GioFX_OpenMark.zip

Leppy and all others who amde this possible; You Rock!!!!

I have OSC SL running on a D620 seems to work all (Audio, video resolution (intel) disk drive) I even can play a standard dvd.. WORKS GREAT\

All I need to play with is the wireless (build in need to check what hardware it is :)

Some questions...

should USB work? I mean whould the best be to get a cheap USB Wifi?

And how about software should ilife 09 work??

Man this is so great!!!!!!!! So exited!! thanks so much!!

Oetje from The netherlands

Hello all,

I am having issues installing SL on my D630. I have followed the guide for 10.6. I am able to load the D620SLV1.iso then I place the RETAIL disc in. It loads and via -v I am getting "Still waiting for root drive"

I am doing a fresh install on a new 500gb hard drive.

I have tried this multiple times with AHCI on and off. Creating a GUID partition prior to installation. Still I am lost. Any advice would be great.

BTW, i'm a newb if you didn't notice already.

System specs:

D630 w/ C2D T7300

3GB ram

1440x900 res

NEW 500gb HD

Nvidia 135m

Hi Consolation!

Here is the benchmark result:

Intel GMA 950 OpenGL Engine

1280x800x32

Score 778

D620

2Gb RAM

1.66 Ghz processor Intel Core Duo Processor (Centrino)

Frans

Leppy and all others who amde this possible; You Rock!!!!

I have OSC SL running on a D620 seems to work all (Audio, video resolution (intel) disk drive) I even can play a standard dvd.. WORKS GREAT\

All I need to play with is the wireless (build in need to check what hardware it is :D

Some questions...

should USB work? I mean whould the best be to get a cheap USB Wifi?

And how about software should ilife 09 work??

Man this is so great!!!!!!!! So exited!! thanks so much!!

Oetje from The netherlands

Update

USB Works

iLife 09 works :P

Even hooked up my iPhone will now try the SDK

Just working on the wireless.. I got a broadcom type pcmia. what do I need to do to install ? Like in Microsoft a 'detect hardware'? or a new install?

Thanks!

Frans

PaTwRiK,

I had to press F5 a few times and give it a 'rest'

Good luck

Don;t know if it is as you have D630 and the ISO is for D620..

Oetje.

Hello all,

I am having issues installing SL on my D630. I have followed the guide for 10.6. I am able to load the D620SLV1.iso then I place the RETAIL disc in. It loads and via -v I am getting "Still waiting for root drive"

I am doing a fresh install on a new 500gb hard drive.

I have tried this multiple times with AHCI on and off. Creating a GUID partition prior to installation. Still I am lost. Any advice would be great.

BTW, i'm a newb if you didn't notice already.

System specs:

D630 w/ C2D T7300

3GB ram

1440x900 res

NEW 500gb HD

Nvidia 135m

Not sure what's going on there. Did you try it first with no boot parameters? The Retail DVD was the upgrade DVD or the DVD from the Box set?

The one supplied with a new Mac will not work - it's not the same.

I have a little favour to ask that's slightly off-topic. Attached is GioFX's OpenMark, an openGL benchmark tool. I'd like to compare nv7300go to intel's 950, and CD to C2D 620 machines. If you can run the app, select "run Benchmark" and post your final result. My nv/C2D scores 5900; to put it in perspective: X1600 on early intel macs pull ~12000, an ATI9800 on a G4 gets about 9500 and a decent modern GPU should get about 30000. So yeah, our GPUs are barely deserving of the name :P But, I'm interested in seeing the comparison, and if different CPUs matter - especially for 950s. OpenMark is a reasonably crude tool, but good enough for this purpose I think.

I you prefer, feel free to pm the results so as not to pollute the thread; I'll post a little matrix when I get enough data points.

Intel GMA 950 OpenGL Engine (D620, 2 gb ram 64 mb vRam)

1440x900x32

Score 663

NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 OpenGL Engine (D620, 2 gb ram 64 mb vRam)

1440x900x32

Score 5807

NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT (Asus P5QL-E, E7200 C2D 4 gb ram 1 GB vRam)

1440x900x32

Score 18289

Just for fun I did a Geekbench test on my completely update OSX Dell D620

I have OSX 10.6.2

1.67 Ghz 2 GB 667 Mhz

Geekbench detects the DELL D620 as

MacPro 2,1 Motherboard Apple Computer Mac-F4208DC8

CPU T2300 1.67 Ghz

Geebench score 2264Integer 1698

Floating Point 3446

Memory 1602

Stream 1441

I think I'll buy a broadcom wifi card on ebay and I'm 100% set :D

I wonder if the display card is easy to replace.. Then I would put a Nvidea as apparently it is way faster..

Cool forum thios and looks like the D620is a perfect Hackintosh

Oetje

help. this is my second time around and things are a bit different with this laptop. everything is running smoothly with 10.6.2 but there are a few things i could use some advice with.

1. i really need to get some firewire happening and the only way i can see to do this is with pcmcia. i have read through a good deal of the posts and can't find a definitive answer for 10.6.0+. I tried to install the kext that someone had posted previouslly for 10.5.8 but that just screwed my trackpad and nubbin. Any help? Perhaps I am installing the kext incorrectly? Maybe it's just not supported at all? Please help! My audio interface is firewire and i'm lost without it.

2. bluetooth. i've got a module installed and the osx86 compatiblity list says it works out of the box but mine is not showing up. it's listed as 'no information' in the profiler. Maybe this isn't supported either? Any advice would help.

3. my last gasp - sometimes after booting my computer is detected as a 1.08gzh processor instead of a 1.92. A reboot solves this so no biggie, but i'm curious.

I've got a dell d620, 2g ram, Nvidia.

HELP!

1. i really need to get some firewire happening and the only way i can see to do this is with pcmcia. i have read through a good deal of the posts and can't find a definitive answer for 10.6.0+. I tried to install the kext that someone had posted previouslly for 10.5.8 but that just screwed my trackpad and nubbin. Any help? Perhaps I am installing the kext incorrectly? Maybe it's just not supported at all? Please help! My audio interface is firewire and i'm lost without it.

I had a firewire card working previously; I currently loaned it to a friend, as soon as I get it back I will try to have a look at it. Can't promise anything. In the mean time, you can try doing a dsdt dump in linux with the card plugged in - then follow sac's guide to fixing it up.

good luck

3. my last gasp - sometimes after booting my computer is detected as a 1.08gzh processor instead of a 1.92. A reboot solves this so no biggie, but i'm curious.

are you sure it's just not speedstep scaling down your cpu when idle? Use cpu-x, it gives you a live read out of current cpu, then launch prime95 in torture test mode; that should put 100% load on the cores and put the speed back to full. That's a desirable behaviour btw/

2. bluetooth. i've got a module installed and the osx86 compatiblity list says it works out of the box but mine is not showing up. it's listed as 'no information' in the profiler. Maybe this isn't supported either? Any advice would help.

Are you sure it's turned on? The wireless switch on the side is on, and it's enabled in BIOS. Your BIOS is updated to A10? It SHOULD just work.

I wonder if the display card is easy to replace.. Then I would put a Nvidea as apparently it is way faster..

That's like trying to decide which snail is faster, if it does what you need, I wouldn't worry about it.

I wonder if the display card is easy to replace.. Then I would put a Nvidea as apparently it is way faster...
That's like trying to decide which snail is faster, if it does what you need, I wouldn't worry about it

Pretty good analogy. I'm happy because I do very little that requires graphics. Anyone into streamed HD flash video needs to be looking at something more up to date.

HALP?!

I tried to upgrade my HDD for more space and dual boot goodness.

On the first partition I did a restore of SL from my old hard drive. I XML'd XP on my second partition.

Now when I reboot, I get bupkus...zero...zilch....blank-o screen-o.

I use the D620SLV1 to boot - no problem - it finds all partitions.

I tried to see if I can run the post_install.cmd (by selecting D620SLV1.iso on the menu) but I get KPs.

I can actually run the retail disk if I make the DVD drive as first boot.

Did I miss a step or do I have to reformat the new drive fresh?

TIA

You are right!

I'll just concentrate on the wifi and will be happy. If graphics are that important i'll need to buy a mac. :unsure:

Kind regards,

oetje

Pretty good analogy. I'm happy because I do very little that requires graphics. Anyone into streamed HD flash video needs to be looking at something more up to date.

HALP?!

I tried to upgrade my HDD for more space and dual boot goodness.

On the first partition I did a restore of SL from my old hard drive. I XML'd XP on my second partition.

Now when I reboot, I get bupkus...zero...zilch....blank-o screen-o.

I use the D620SLV1 to boot - no problem - it finds all partitions.

I tried to see if I can run the post_install.cmd (by selecting D620SLV1.iso on the menu) but I get KPs.

I can actually run the retail disk if I make the DVD drive as first boot.

Did I miss a step or do I have to reformat the new drive fresh?

TIA

As long as you used a GUID partition table, it should be a simple fix. Use the boot CD to boot into your snow leopard install, not the boot cd. Then run the post install per the guide to reinstall the Chameleon Boot loader to the hard drive.
Thanks so much for the tutorial (OSX 10.6 on a Dell 620), works beautifully! I'd spent hours trying to get the thing working before finding your post :P
I'm glad it worked out for you.

So then with a fresh install of 10.6.0 using leppy700m's boot cd the PCMCIA port should be active and functional? Do I have to install any extensions? It's unclear from previous posts. Also just read up on DSDT but don't have linux, how do I generate a table?

Just looked through SA22C's post and maybe I'm blind, but I couldn't find any type of guide - care to point me in the right direction?

You guys all rule with a collective fist of iron!

So then with a fresh install of 10.6.0 using leppy700m's boot cd the PCMCIA port should be active and functional? Do I have to install any extensions? It's unclear from previous posts. Also just read up on DSDT but don't have linux, how do I generate a table?

Just looked through SA22C's post and maybe I'm blind, but I couldn't find any type of guide - care to point me in the right direction?

You guys all rule with a collective fist of iron!

As of yet, no guide specific to these machines had been posted. SA22C did provide links to a lot of information about how to patch DSDT and great big hints about which ones he applied.

I've posted my current 620/NV /Extra setup, including my DSDT and updates to everything else. If you have an NV machine running the latest bios (A10), it may well work for you, unless you have a fingerprint scanner. Then again, it may not.

As long as you used a GUID partition table, it should be a simple fix. Use the boot CD to boot into your snow leopard install, not the boot cd. Then run the post install per the guide to reinstall the Chameleon Boot loader to the hard drive.

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Thanks Leppy! This worked like a charm - I got SL to boot but the bootloader didn't show XP as an option. Should I just reinstall?

BTW - have you had experience adding/using a WWAN card on SL? Any success with it?

Thanks Leppy! This worked like a charm - I got SL to boot but the bootloader didn't show XP as an option. Should I just reinstall?

BTW - have you had experience adding/using a WWAN card on SL? Any success with it?

I have no way of knowing how you have installed XP and what your partition tables look like. How to dual boot has been discussed about mid way through this thread, but I don't have a sure fire method ready for you.

WWAN could mean cell phone or wireless LAN. Wireless LAN is covered in the guide and I have no experience with cell phone cards.

Generally Yes, I haven't tried it on a 620; but previously miniPCIe WWAN cards have worked on other Leopard Hackies. Assuming the chipset driver was included by Apple. They show up as modems in your network prefs. There is one caveat; only some sims will work - some will keep asking for sim pin - and it won't matter if you pin the sim or not. I have not bothered trying to source a miniPCIe card because :

a) I use the slot for a second WLAN card (or possibly a SSD once they become cheaper.)

:blink: The ones I could find were really expensive for fairly old tech. Over here I can get a prepay HDSPA USB 7.2MBit card for ~ $30 incl. month's data. The Dell ones are old 3G that's only good for 2.6MBit (or 256Kbit for some models), the world mode (850/900/1900/2100) unlocked ones are 100$+.

c) USB makes it easy to move between computers; ripping out a miniPCIe is a real PITA.

d) No guarantee it'll work under OSX.

Having said that. If I stumble across a really cheap one, I might give it a shot.

I tried to see of using legacy kexts from http://prasys.co.cc/2010/01/legacy-appleac...leacpiec-kexts/

to see if it would give us better temperature management. As you can see from curves below it did absolutely nothing. The slightly higher temp (1 degree) on 10.6.2 is probably due to it being a second run. Stable idle was 49 degrees on first run and on the second was 50; I couldn't be bothered waiting for it to cool down fully. As you can see the curve is the same and the 1 degree difference stays constant through the run. I used prime95 to load the cores to ~100%. Max temps were 82/83, idle 49/50 degrees Celsius, in case our imperial friends are wondering - that's ~ 180/120 of your funky degrees ;-) .

It'd be good if other people tried them out; incase it's just my rig being a pig.

tempwe.png