The Porting Team

locoputo

140 posts in this topic

I stumbled upon this post from Codeweavers some time ago, but i didn't think it would work so perfectly.

here's the topic btw:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets...;ticket_level=3

Terminal related stuff scares most mac users, but at least we have a temporary fix for Snow Leopard. (until we have a wrapper that works on it's own)

I'm not sure what the 'thinning' process does to the quartz package, and i think starting the app with the 32bit Perl command is not possible, aside from within the Terminal.

Btw doc, CX Games 8.0 is officially out, so you don't need to hold back anymore :)

(but sadly the changes in 8.0 were not groundbreaking, just some tweaks and hacks)

I stumbled upon this post from Codeweavers some time ago, but i didn't think it would work so perfectly.

here's the topic btw:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets...;ticket_level=3

Terminal related stuff scares most mac users, but at least we have a temporary fix for Snow Leopard. (until we have a wrapper that works on it's own)

I'm not sure what the 'thinning' process does to the quartz package, and i think starting the app with the 32bit Perl command is not possible, aside from within the Terminal.

Btw doc, CX Games 8.0 is officially out, so you don't need to hold back anymore :(

(but sadly the changes in 8.0 were not groundbreaking, just some tweaks and hacks)

I think posting the wrapper link here in this forum is not appropriate.

Also it's not the final version but a release candidate build.

Once a crack is available for CX Games 8.0 (Final) we will be able to wrap it into the chromium application.

The demo release does not work properly with the wrapper.

If you are keen to get your hands on it anyway - just take a look at my CX Wrapper library on mediafire.

Oh and btw i think it should be possible to include the environment variables with the help of an Apple Script starter application which (when launched) executes a shell script with the 32Bit Perl command.

the content of this launcher application would look like this:

do shell script "VERSIONER_PERL_PREFER_32_BIT=yes /Applications/CrossOver\\ Chromium.app/Contents/MacOS/CrossOver\\ Chromium"

you can use Apples Scripteditor app to make the script - compile and save the code as a standalone application.

Once you double-click the launcher it will execute CX Chromium with the provided command line arguments.

I realize that this is not a very elegant solution and suitable for temporary use at best but at least it will make the terminal part obsolete. Btw. I'm pretty confident that we will get our hands onto a new updated wrapper sooner or later.

cheers

thedoctor45

CX Games has gone final a couple of days ago, lookie here: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/27200/crossover-games

Yes, a script wouldn't be the elegant one-click solution we are searching for, and i temporary froze all my CX Ports until we get a SL compatible wrapper.

CX Games has gone final a couple of days ago, lookie here: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/27200/crossover-games

Yes, a script wouldn't be the elegant one-click solution we are searching for, and i temporary froze all my CX Ports until we get a SL compatible wrapper.

If it's really solely a Perl related issue, another possible solution would be to take the Perl directory from CX Games 8.0 and paste it into the Chromium wrapper. (replacing all existing files)

But again, I can't test it since I don't have SL installed right now.

I can make 2 wrappers - one with the Perl files from the new CX Games and one with the old Perl files.

where are all these crazed SL maniacs when you need 'em...?

btw - it should be possible for CoreDuo Mac users to launch Chromium out of the box on 10.6 because the CD CPU uses a 32Bit architecture so basically it shouldn't be possible to execute perl in 64Bit mode in the first place.....

just a random thought. xP

I made a fresh SL install on my mac mini, and would gladly test out various wrappers if you'd like.

I repartitioned my drive last week for a little Snow Leopard test System, on which i'm trying out different stuff.

You have my e-mail address if i recall...

btw - it should be possible for CoreDuo Mac users to launch Chromium out of the box on 10.6 because the CD CPU uses a 32Bit architecture so basically it shouldn't be possible to execute perl in 64Bit mode in the first place.....

just a random thought. xP

Heh, didn't think of that. That could theoretically work, but it's not limited to Core Duo macs. hackintosh users (hmm, now where to find those...) with P4 chips/Core Duos or the like can also try this out, since these chips are not 64bit capable. But maybe these things are too old for SL, i'm not up to date anymore. Anyone of you guys that managed to get SL running on these chips wanting to test that?

where are all these crazed SL maniacs when you need 'em...?

I'm happy to try anything! I've downloaded your wrapper and I'll try some ports with it (CX Games Wrapper 8.0.app) - I'm not sure if you meant this one to be the finalish one.

I tried porting a game using the wrapper and it worked a treat! I've tried it with a few games so far with no real problems other than a few I found using CX normal version 8.0.

I launched it in 32Bit mode - is this what we should do or is there a fix so we don't have to with the wrapper?

check your PM's - both of you :D

if you don't want to use terminal.app to launch the wrapper you have to make yourself a launcher script like I described in the previous post.

But only if both wrappers I just made fail to run of course.

PS: don't forget to delete the prefs folder!

cheers

thedoctor45

I'm happy to try anything! I've downloaded your wrapper and I'll try some ports with it (CX Games Wrapper 8.0.app) - I'm not sure if you meant this one to be the finalish one.

I tried porting a game using the wrapper and it worked a treat! I've tried it with a few games so far with no real problems other than a few I found using CX normal version 8.0.

I launched it in 32Bit mode - is this what we should do or is there a fix so we don't have to with the wrapper?

I'm not quite sure if the startup problem is only PERL related. Why does Codeweavers recommend thinning out the quartz-wm before starting CX in 32bit Perl mode? I think there has to be something else here.

Basically we need a wrapper that works without tweaking anything.

You have already altered your quartz-wm so you currently can't correctly test this i think.

If you want to have the same circumstances that all other SL users have, you need to reverse the process that you made with the terminal commands previously.

Luckily you made a backup of the quartz-wm with 'sudo mv quartz-wm quartz-wm.bak', so replacing the thinned out version with the backup is possible.

Otherwise you're making ports that no other SL user can run, because they didn't use the terminal commands.

Just a thought.

Basically we need a wrapper that works without tweaking anything.

You have already altered your quartz-wm so you currently can't correctly test this i think.

If you want to have the same circumstances that all other SL users have, you need to reverse the process that you made with the terminal commands previously.

Luckily you made a backup of the quartz-wm with 'sudo mv quartz-wm quartz-wm.bak', so replacing the thinned out version with the backup is possible.

Otherwise you're making ports that no other SL user can run, because they didn't use the terminal commands.

Just a thought.

I did think of this but it escaped my mind before I really put it into action. I've zipped both and stored them and I've reverted back to the old one now for testing.

I get this using Final

Loading GLX bundle glxCGL.bundle (using Apple's OpenGL)
Display mode: Rootless Quartz -- Xplugin implementation
PseudoramiX screen 0 added: 1280x779 @ (0,21).
PseudoramiX screen 0 placed at X11 coordinate (0,0).
[DRI] screen 0 installation complete
Screen 0 added: 1280x779 @ (0,21)
Screen 0 placed at X11 coordinate (0,0).
can't open default display

And this using Perl

can't open default display

They both then quit.

Changing Quartz back to the edited one with perl I get:

_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.CrossOver should be set to root
dyld: warning, DYLD_ setting caused circular dependency in /Volumes/Windoze Stuff/Work in Progress/8-0/Perl/CX Games Wrapper 8.0 Perl.app/Contents/SharedSupport/X11/lib/libGL.dylib

And then with Final

_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.CrossOver should be set to root
dyld: warning, DYLD_ setting caused circular dependency in /Volumes/Windoze Stuff/Work in Progress/8-0/Final/CX Games Wrapper 8.0.app/Contents/SharedSupport/X11/lib/libGL.dylib

This is both just running it straight - they then crash. When telling them to run in 32Bit using the terminal thing they both work fine.

To confuse everyone further (sorry!) using the original quartz and telling it 32Bit gets the "can't open default display" error.

also remember the prefs folder!

We may (well... I) sound like amateurs but we're not :) I've still got the good old script that deletes them for me :)

By the way, is it me or is Snow Leopard launching the CX ports insanely fast?

I'm talking about 2 seconds here flat from cold start. In Tiger and Leopard it takes bloody ages.

Can you confirm this jim?

I'm out of ideas - any suggestions guys?

Sadly, no.

My hopes rest on the macosforge for a backwards compatible xquartz...

Their SL Roadmap is currently at 80% done, we'll see if this brings out anything useful.

By the way, is it me or is Snow Leopard launching the CX ports insanely fast?

I'm talking about 2 seconds here flat from cold start. In Tiger and Leopard it takes bloody ages.

Can you confirm this jim?

Definitely! It was the first thing I noticed - I usually click it to launch and then go and write an email or something waiting for it to load but not any more! I'm guessing something to do with GCS or the way SL sorts out the threads.

Where is it that defines what executable is launched?

I always thought it was the "CrossOver Chromium" in the info.plist, but after changing the name it didn't affect it at all.

If I can tell it where it is, I can possibly make a temporary fix.

Hey guys,

I'm glad I found you on here, I am very sad that the forum is down, but I got some good news for ya, I have found someone who's willing to sponsor the game porting team and pay the monthly hosting fees ;) . Could anyone of you forward this to loco? Unfortunately, I don't have his email address...

Best wishes,

Macintosher