[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

I have Disabler.kext and dsmos.kext installed.

My BIOS settings are identical to the image (except smart backup, which isn't simply enable/disable for me).

I don't have IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

I need to find that.

Don't bother with the IntelCPUDisabler.kext. The Disabler.kext should contain the IntelCPUPowerManagement blacklist needed.

What I would do is boot with the -v flag at the boot prompt, so that we can troubleshoot via displayed log. It's hard to know what's happening without further info.

MAJ

My computer has been buggy the past few days as I have been trying to test a few new things.

first off I installed 3 new sticks of ram 6gb total. just to make sure what color slots do you put them in to run 3 channel?

next my computer has been resetting randomly after trying out F8 bios so I went back to F7 to see if that is the problem. will report back on that later.

edit: went back to F7 and computer rebooted again.... nothing has changed besides that... wtf is going on

Did the instability occur after the new RAM was installed, or did you install new RAM to fix the instability?

The 3 module setup would use the white RAM slots, but you'd know that because it won't boot in the wrong slots, anyway. Have you tried pulling all but one module? Are you running the GA/JMicron controller?

If you don't see any messages in the system.log prior to the reboot, it'll be hardware. Does the "Overclock warning" message appear in the BIOS after the reboot?

regards,

MAJ

Retail install works, with full resolution, dual monitors, sound, internets, updates, everything! I did a few things at once, so i'm not sure what did it exactly. I think removing AppleTyMCEDriver.kext helped--thanks for that, tsunoo. I also removed the Extensions folder from Extra, and tried to make my S/L/E look the same as the S/L/E for Kalyway. My only problem now is that games won't start: In the "About This Mac" section under graphics, it says Quartz isn't supported and that i'm using software rendering--this can't be accurate if i am seeing fancy things such as the genie effect, right? I suppose that is an issue for a different thread. Anyways, i will post my specs again for anyone who might have similar hardware:

Processor: Core i7 920

Mobo: EVGA X58 3x SLI

Memory: OCZ 2GBx3 1066Mhz

Drives: Western Digital IDE 80Gb (has retail install), Seagate IDE 200Gb (has Kalyway on partition), Seagate SATA 320Gb (plugged in, but not in use by a mac os)

Graphics Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800 GTS 320 (still have to test with 2nd one in)

DVD Drive: LG SATA

Network Card: WMP54G (in the slot, but doesn't work; no problem for me)

Thanks for your comments. I love doing this stuff. Being "old" and single helps, too.

Suddenly i feel more secure knowing you can be single but still be awesome!  :blink:

I tried deleting the IONetworkingFamily.kext from my System/Library/Extensions folder and from the Extras/Stored_Kexts folder but my airport still does not work or appear in networking pref pane or in the toolbar. However, my ethernet continues to work! Did I make a mistake in deleting the IONetworkingFamily.kext?

The one your supposed to delete is in the /harddisk/extra/stored_kexts folder. You will also need to clear the extensions cache for the delete to take effect if your deleting it manually. The easiest way I find to do it is to move the IONetworkingFamily.kext from the script folder into repository then run the kext step within the script and it will do everything for you.

When trying to install OSX on my system it immediately reboots (right after it loaded extensions.mkext). I've tried

- Different DVDs: Zephyroth, Leo4All and iAtkos v7

- Boot flags: -x, -f, -cpus=1, -platform=AHCI, -legacy, maxmem=2048

- Disabling unused hardware in BIOS

- Using AHCI in BIOS, like in the first post

Is there anything else I'm forgetting? It's quite frustrating to see OSX is absolutely not working as this thread was one of the reasons I picked this motherboard..

Did the instability occur after the new RAM was installed, or did you install new RAM to fix the instability?

The 3 module setup would use the white RAM slots, but you'd know that because it won't boot in the wrong slots, anyway. Have you tried pulling all but one module? Are you running the GA/JMicron controller?

If you don't see any messages in the system.log prior to the reboot, it'll be hardware. Does the "Overclock warning" message appear in the BIOS after the reboot?

regards,

MAJ

Hey DD

Good to hear from you again, its been a while. To be honest it is really hard to say when the instability occurred. What I can say is that it was completely stable with the last setup and the only thing that has changed is the addition of a new 1.5tb HDD, 3x 2gb DDR3 1600mhz Ram, and update to F7 Bios.

I am thinking I should just rip it apart again and rebuild to see if it has something to do with cables and so on. I will also first revert everything back to the initial setup.

I did get that Bios message about overclocking failure, so I reverted back to the default settings and still had the system crashing. I will let you know how everything goes. Thanks for the response.

Craig

I'm not sure what half of those boot flags are...

But I know you need busratio=20 in the boot flags.

A good start would (rather than putting all those flags in there) is to use:

busratio=20, -v

Then you should at least be able to see where it's hanging up.

Cheers.

When trying to install OSX on my system it immediately reboots (right after it loaded extensions.mkext). I've tried

- Different DVDs: Zephyroth, Leo4All and iAtkos v7

- Boot flags: -x, -f, -cpus=1, -platform=AHCI, -legacy, maxmem=2048

- Disabling unused hardware in BIOS

- Using AHCI in BIOS, like in the first post

Is there anything else I'm forgetting? It's quite frustrating to see OSX is absolutely not working as this thread was one of the reasons I picked this motherboard..

Version 4.0 will include:
  • EFI boot setup (lots of work yet to do)
  • Creation of pre-boot CD/ISO to boot OS X Installer DVD (basically done)
  • EFI strings support for 135+ graphics cards
  • Snow Leopard support

This version 4.0 will be awesome now that stellarola fixed the nasty CMOS reset bug in Snow Leopard.

Link for the discussion on that topic

Hi there

I have a really strange problem

I want to install a distro first on a external USB drive. To do that, I want to use a distro to do an initial install.

I tried several distors so far, non of them was able to boot from DVD.

My machine crashes right after I see the apple logo for a split second. Then crash and restart.

My system:

- GA-EX58-UD5

- Core i7 920 with D0 stepping

- 6 Gb RAM (tripple channel)

- NVIDIA GT 9600 graphics card

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Mike

Hi there

I want to install a distro first on a external USB drive. To do that, I want to use a distro to do an initial install.

My machine crashes right after I see the apple logo for a split second. Then crash and restart.

My system:

- GA-EX58-UD5

Mike

What color SATA ports are you plugged into?

Are you using any IDE cables on any drives (including CDROM/DVD)?

Do you have AHCI set in the bios for both controllers?

Did you change anything in the bios?

Hello

I plugged into the blue SATA ports

I use a DVD Burner also plugged into the same blue row.

Everything set into AHCI in bios.

I have not changed anything else, I do use latest bios F7.

Mike

Thanks!

DD - you rock! I am up and running and this baby is fast!

Xeon 3520 @ 4Ghz, 6gb, nvidia GTX 285 with 2GB.

After some trial and error (the video card injector does NOT like my nVidia GTX 285), I was finally able to get everything working. For me I just deleted the ATY_Init.kext in Graphics\ and the two JMicron kexts in _ATA.

To get the GTX 285 running, I installed the evga video drivers for Mac, and Netkas's Enabler_for_Nvidia_and_multiple_ATI_cards, Reboot, and 2560x1600 working razor sharp. World of Warcraft gives me 60fps with everything maxed running around Dalaran.

Really appreciate your post!

Oh, question - I've seen people using -busration and -cpu etc in their boot flags.... is this neccessary? My system seems to be running flawlessly (well, I don't use sleep or hibernate).

Will busratio fix anything? Improve performance?

well got some good news, but dont know how to explain it.

I stated before my computer was acting really bugging and shutting down right after the Mac gray screen. well I let the computer sit off for a full day, came back today to it working fully.

The only thing different now is that I dont have my 1tb external plugged in. I will plug it in later when i get it back from a friend to see if that is causing the problem.

Does anyone know how to access my EFI partition, i remember DD putting up a script to mount the EFI. When I do so, can I just delete the Voodoo kernel and system.kexts from there and the original 10.5.7 ones should take over right? or does it not work that way?

Hello all,

It has been a week since I built my Hackintosh. Overall, I am very happy but I still have a few little bugs I would like to resolve. The main one is that Shutdown is extremely slow both in Windows and Mac OS X. Computer looks frozen but if I give it enough time, it usually reboots. Sleep also is giving me some issues. The computer gets to sleep (fans still spinning, USB and monitor power down). but can't wake up. I am also seeing this under Windows and Mac OS X. I have also experienced the common loss of network interface (this one, I can live with).

I am not sure if the sleep and shutdown issues are related. The fact that they happen under 2 different OSs suggests a hardware or bios issue. I am running all my drives in AHCI in both controllers (I only have the Windows drive on the GSATA - everything else is under SATA). I didn't change any of the power management stuff (loaded uptimized defaults) except the CPU fan (running full speed all the time). I am running the XPM (Profile 1) for my RAM since it is rated for 1600. I did some hardware tests using TechTools Pro and everything is OK (RAM, CPU, disk controllers, etc.). I am running my graphic cards using an EFI string.

I a running the F8e BIOS. I don't remember if I had the same issues with the previous non-beta bios. I don't think I tested that much then.

If anybody has any ideas on how to fix these last bits, I would certainly appreciate.

Colddiver

Thanks to everyone for their help... the problem was that the wrong boot.plist file had the EFI/GFX string. Here's a quick summary for others:

My version of OSX86Tools was generating the EFI string correctly, BUT it was inserting this into /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

... that's not the right file!

The right file is in /Extra

once I put the EFI string onto the com.apple.boot.plist (note lower case "b") then I booted up with QE.

Fantastic!! :rolleyes:  

slipperydip, you are my hero! I had also been struggling with this for days, always changing the string in the L/P/S plist. But now it works! I love you! I wish this could be sprayed all over the tutorials we have looked over...probably no one will come here to look T.T

Hello all,

It has been a week since I built my Hackintosh. Overall, I am very happy but I still have a few little bugs I would like to resolve. The main one is that Shutdown is extremely slow both in Windows and Mac OS X. Computer looks frozen but if I give it enough time, it usually reboots. Sleep also is giving me some issues. The computer gets to sleep (fans still spinning, USB and monitor power down). but can't wake up. I am also seeing this under Windows and Mac OS X. I have also experienced the common loss of network interface (this one, I can live with).

I am not sure if the sleep and shutdown issues are related. The fact that they happen under 2 different OSs suggests a hardware or bios issue. I am running all my drives in AHCI in both controllers (I only have the Windows drive on the GSATA - everything else is under SATA). I didn't change any of the power management stuff (loaded uptimized defaults) except the CPU fan (running full speed all the time). I am running the XPM (Profile 1) for my RAM since it is rated for 1600. I did some hardware tests using TechTools Pro and everything is OK (RAM, CPU, disk controllers, etc.). I am running my graphic cards using an EFI string.

I a running the F8e BIOS. I don't remember if I had the same issues with the previous non-beta bios. I don't think I tested that much then.

If anybody has any ideas on how to fix these last bits, I would certainly appreciate.

Colddiver

My sleep does the same thing. I tried a bunch of different bios and none worked. I am using the ati driver package for my graphics. So it isnt because of your efi string bc I am not using that. But yea, my display goes to sleep, but my fans keep running on the computer and it will not wake up. I hate this because my computer has to be either on or off. I dont know what else to try, I have even tried changing the sleep settings using terminal.

The computer gets to sleep (fans still spinning, USB and monitor power down). but can't wake up. I am also seeing this under Windows and Mac OS X.

I have this same issue. I suspect that it's related to the JMicron/GSATA port since when I unplug any hard drives connected to those ports the problem goes away. In my case when not using those ports I'm still unable to wake up from sleep even though I can enter it properly but I suspect this is a separate problem related to my 4890.

Hi there

My system:

- GA-EX58-UD5

Mike

I did some more investigations with various Boot CDs

All of them use the Chameleon loader 1.x

The following tests have been done:

Removed some of the RAM to see if the problem is there, no luck, with all RAM configs still crash.

I updated to BIOS F8e, still no luck, CRASH

Disabled all other hardware in bios (USB, Firewire....) still crash

Used a different older type GFX card.... still crash

Again a description of what is happening:

I try to get a bood CD booted so that I can do an initial installation of OSX on an external USB drive.

From there, I plan to do the Vanilla installation described here.

I did do a -v boot, the crash happens after the third line which I cannot read anymore.

It's REALLY strange, it's like someone is in the computer and presses the RESET button very time I want to boot from the CD.

I am really desparate.... anyone any insight on this, is there anything else I could still test?

BTW, I am running Vista x64 on the same machine at the moment. I am pretty sure that it is not related to any hardware defect.

Cheers, Mike

I did some more investigations with various Boot CDs

All of them use the Chameleon loader 1.x

The following tests have been done:

Removed some of the RAM to see if the problem is there, no luck, with all RAM configs still crash.

I updated to BIOS F8e, still no luck, CRASH

Disabled all other hardware in bios (USB, Firewire....) still crash

Used a different older type GFX card.... still crash

Again a description of what is happening:

I try to get a bood CD booted so that I can do an initial installation of OSX on an external USB drive.

From there, I plan to do the Vanilla installation described here.

I did do a -v boot, the crash happens after the third line which I cannot read anymore.

It's REALLY strange, it's like someone is in the computer and presses the RESET button very time I want to boot from the CD.

I am really desparate.... anyone any insight on this, is there anything else I could still test?

BTW, I am running Vista x64 on the same machine at the moment. I am pretty sure that it is not related to any hardware defect.

Cheers, Mike

If you are using a distro DVD when it initially starts you are presented with a screen that says "press F8 .... etc". Press F8 and at the boot prompt enter "busratio=20 -v" (without the quotes), then ENTER.

If you are trying to boot with a Boot132 disc then you need additional boot flags that can get complicated if you have more than one HD and a DVD installed. With a DVD and one HD installed, at boot after the disc swap to the Retail DVD at F8 try: rd(0,1)/mach_kernel busratio=20 -v -F rd=disk1s3 (unless the mach_kernel in the 132 disc is named mach_kernel.voodoo, if so use that name in the boot string). At some point in the boot process you will have an error message "busratio=0, doesn't make sense" - press y to continue and it should continue to boot.

@everdone

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!

That did it, it bootet. I hope this was not a total stupid question, I was really searching hard for a solution and the busratio did it....

Now installing on my external HD, hope this will boot as well in the end...

Mike

Can you clarify which OSX version one should use to follow your guide? I have a 10.5.0 disk, but I am having no luck getting boot 132 to work with it.

It seems that 10.5.6 is the latest retail disk ava... is this the version your guide refers to?

After a lot of trouble I was able to get Leo4all 10.52 loaded... but I can't update it or even get the video drivers working.

Thanks

I have this same issue. I suspect that it's related to the JMicron/GSATA port since when I unplug any hard drives connected to those ports the problem goes away. In my case when not using those ports I'm still unable to wake up from sleep even though I can enter it properly but I suspect this is a separate problem related to my 4890.

Interesting theory. I will be testing this. While it is too early to tell what the result will be, I am currently working with the following modifications:

- Modified Energy Saver Pref Pane so that computer will never sleep, HD will never sleep, Power Button will not sleep the computer

- Prevented all unnecessary partition from automatically booting using this hint

I made these changes after an app I was working on froze when I attempted to save a document for the first time. This is not the first time it happened. The app has to be forced quitted (and I loose all my work). Once the freeze happens, I can't even open Disk Utilities or attempt to unmount a partition in the terminal (even with sudo - terminal simply freezes). These freezes seem to happen when using the computer after it has been idle (but not asleep) for a while (this is why I figured preventing HD from sleeping may help - we'll see).

This, as you suggest, looks like a disk-related issue. I'll see if the modifications above have any positive impacts. If not, I may try to connect everything on the SATA ports only and try again.

I also had a look at dmesg and found a few errors:

AppleUSBHCIController][hardwareSetupComplete] Failed setup: 0x10 resetting

[HCIController][hardwareSetupComplete] Failed setup: 0x10

IOBluetoothHCIController::terminateWL .. done

E:[AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController][interruptReadHandler] Received kIOReturnAborted error - no more retries - bailing out.

[HCIController][configurePM] power parent ready after 1 tries

ACPI_SMC_GPU_CtrlLoop::controlRegistered - unexpected control ID 16

nl_ioctl: ioctl failure

kauth_resolver: memberd is not setting valid result codes (assuming always successful)

Most of them don't appear to be related to my current problem, however. I will let you guys know if I discover anything new...

Colddiver

During boot from the drive up I get an error:

panic (cpu - caller 0x2e166e43) "No Hpets available...CPU(s) configured incorrectly\n"@/Sourcecache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement -59.0.1/pmthread.c:149

i am getting this error with first attempt at retail... what is it???

Is it possible to run the script from Tiger? The only thing I've been able to get up and running is my 10.4.3 disc on my original asrock p4dual.

It says the OS X Install DVD was not detected whether I try from the DVD or an image. It shows up as unmounted when I start up the script. I'm using a single layer version, must it be an unmodified disc?

The machine this will eventually be going into is as follows:

MSI X58M

i7 920

6gb ocz

9600 gso

640g wd sata with windows 7

120g ide for osx

The plan is to use Chameleon from a usb stick.

Thanks.