omni driver for ATI with QE/CI/GL

omni

163 posts in this topic

Omni u know what? i was just on the forum to "advice u" to release an alpha version just as u said, to calm dowsn everyone. So guys asking : "is there dual monitor support? is there AGP8X? is there ur mother naked into ur driver etc lol" can see this is just a 1rst driver and wait and see for the rest.

I would have done the same thing u've decided, in case my opinion is usefull :thumbsdown_anim:

Omni u know what? i was just on the forum to "advice u" to release an alpha version just as u said, to calm dowsn everyone. So guys asking : "is there dual monitor support? is there AGP8X? is there ur mother naked into ur driver etc lol" can see this is just a 1rst driver and wait and see for the rest.

I would have done the same thing u've decided, in case my opinion is usefull :gathering:

Personally, I would vote for the naked woman feature. :thumbsdown_anim:

I just want to state from the get-go that I personally don't care if Omni releases sourcecode. But just a reminder that IF and that's just IF he used any GPLd code with his drivers he is legally required to release the sourcecode if he is to distribute it. Personally I think his reasons not to are more than good enough. And legally even running OS X like we all do now is against the law. SO Stop your complaints about him not releasing sourcecode when you still continue running an ILLEGAL version of OS X on your PC.

Just popped back in here to see if there'd been any new developments, and this has to be some of the best news ever! I'm really looking forward to being able to use OSX on my Inspiron 6000 lappy @ full res.

I understand omni isn't interested in releasing the source code to the driver, and that's his call. As a previous poster stated, if any GPL'd code has been used in the making of this driver, there's a legal obligation to release the source. IIRC JaS was one of the chaps working on the GPL Linux ATi driver (my memory may well fail me here) so it's not beyond question. That said, I'm sure omni is 100% aware of this.

Legal issues aside, given that omni claims not to want to have to fill other people's requests, releasing the source would allow him to respond in the typical OSS way:

"The code's there, do it yourself."

The argument that opening the source would allow Apple to patch the kernel to stop the driver from working holds little water imho. They don't need the source code to do that, and frankly I don't think they are interested in doing so.

To all you guys moaning on omni's behalf: a big "who cares". :D Some mighty polished butt-kissing skills you peeps have.

Anywho... Much credit to omni for apparently making big headways (almost) alone on a totally worthwhile task. Really looking forward to seeing the results.

/drdaz

My opinion is that if Omni releases an alpha version then we definitely should avoid bombarding him with 'it doesn't work' posts and 'why doesn't it do this' replies. He needs to just get on, read proper feedback to fix any bugs and complete his work in his own time.

Keep up the good work and Omni - take all the time you need :)

Omni/jas/np_/whoever else knows about this stuff,

I noticed when I ran some scanning tool on my card that I had DeviceID 0x5e4b and 0x5e6b. While I haven't tried putting 0x5e6b into the ATIRadeon9700.kext file yet, does this mean the two graphics ports on my X700 work (somewhat) independently of each other, at least as far as the system configuration goes?

In relation, I know that you said that you're not working on dual monitor support yet...but does the OS support multiple cards for graphics? I should have two Radeon PCIe cards in my machine sometime soon (so I can run quad monitor in Evil XP) and am wondering if I could run dual monitor that way thru OS X.

Sorry if these questions sound too much like "Why aren't you working on...?"

I'll probably try some of this out on my own too, but any knowledge on these issues would be helpful.

Edit: I added 0x5e6b to all the relevant places and OS X crashed. Thankfully, however, I was able to repair it thru a safe boot.

An Alpha version: great idea! (I think we already spoke about that in event 47 of this same thread)...

Alpha versions are exactly what they are: ALPHA state: download it and install and test: create a thread on what hardware is working fine and what hardware isn't... Could be very useful information for you, omni, as well in order to further deploy the driver :)

And by posting the results everybody can "help" in some way to further make the driver perfect: this is what happened with the ATI driver in the BeOS community and this is what will happen here as well...

Way to go!!!

Take care,

Tek_No

Well I think this puts to shame anybody who can quarrel with Omni at this point. He's fulfilled the adage "I may not agree with your opinion, but I defend to the death your right to say it."

Here some in fo about agp & pci info about drivers for that. of course this is copyrights i did not change any. so.

happy huntin there are url of pdf, are many this is one the other is how mac os x works with compabilitie.

AGP is a superset of PCI providing additional functionality that is optimized for video devices. This

chapter describes this added functionality at a high level. For detailed programming information,

you should consult the documentation for the IOAGPDevice family, which can be found on the Apple

Developer Documentation website (http://developer.apple.com/Documentation).

Fundamentally, supporting an AGP device does not require much more effort than supporting a PCI

device. PCI drivers should “just work” for AGP devices as-is with the possible addition of a new

matching personality if the device has a different ID or Open Firmware name. You can add an

additional personality for AGP in exactly the same way as you would add a personality for a standard

PCI device, as described in “Matching” (page 15).

You should note, however, that a standard PCI driver will not see AGP’s performance gains without

additional driver changes to facilitate the use of AGP memory transactions to and from the device.

Important: Before attempting to write a driver for an AGP device (and particularly a driver that uses

AGP’s special features), you should contact Apple Developer Technical Support.

To add this support, you must first detect whether the device your driver matched against is, in fact,

an AGP device. You can do this by trying to cast your provider to the type IOAGPDevice by calling

OSDynamicCast. If this call succeeds, your driver matched against an AGP device. If it fails, your

driver matched against a non-AGP PCI device such as a standard PCI card or a CardBus card.

Once you have determined that your driver has matched against an AGP device, you should use the

IOAGPDevice method createAGPSpace to create an AGP space for communication with the device

and enable AGP transactions on the bus. You should use the method destroyAGPSpace when your

driver unloads.

From there, you can use the method commitAGPMemory to make blocks of memory accessible to your

device via AGP calls—for example, if your graphics card needs to read a texture out of main memory.

You should use releaseAGPMemory to free the AGP mappings for these memory regions when you’re

finished with them.

With those changes, the PCI device driver should reflect the added performance benefits that AGP

provides without further modification.

For more information on AGP devices, consult the documentation for the IOAGPDevice family and

the graphics acceleration SDK.

Hi Everebody!

I need the help of you, I installed the Mac, I brought up to date for version 10.4.6, and in the part of graphics and displays, appeared this:

Display:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4152

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Later I followed the steps that had been placed in topic and was thus:

Display:

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4152

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Well, I would like to come back the support to Core Image and the Quartz Extreme??

What I need to make to change refresh rate of 60 Hz for 75 Hz?

Thanks for the help.

Forgives the english, I used a web-translator.

'Later I followed the steps that had been placed in topic and was thus:

Display:'

i havent seen any steps / driver to install from omni in this topic? (did i miss something?)

'Forgives the english, I used a web-translator.'

you should learn english instead.

Omni, can you help me????

Just wait for my driver's alpha release. The one that you linked to does nothing, it's just a skeleton. I will make sure to write concise instructions on how to set my driver up.