2. 2. Does it work successfully?

• Yes, no issues
    • Yes, minor issues/annoyances
    • No, Intel Pentium M/4/D
    • No, Intel Core or newer
    • No, AMD K8
    • No, AMD K10 or newer
    • No, other CPU
  3. 3. How do you rate the usefullness of VoodooPower?

• No use
    • Poor
    • Mediocre
    • Useful
    • Very useful
    • My life depend on it

351 posts in this topic

I'm having overheating issues on my HP HDX16-1370US, which uses a 2.26ghz Core 2 Duo processor, and after I installed this extension it didn't seem to help. Do I need to remove some generic power management/cpu texts before I install voodoopower or is it just not having any affect? Both cores running at 62c

Do I need to remove some generic power management/cpu texts before I install voodoopower or is it just not having any affect? Both cores running at 62c

Yes, only use ONE .kext for same "thing". Never use two different .kext which try to do same works (cpu powermangement).

So remove the .kext you dont want to use and also be sure your .mkext got updated (no old .kext in)

I found some russian site, which has an iCPU (usage for SL) , i believe based on Superhai (maybe without rights, i dont know).

http://www.applelife.ru/topic/20179-cpu-i-...½-snow-leopard/

[size=1]The utility allows you to track real-time parameters such processors / cores as the frequency, voltage, multiplier, temperature. 
Also available is some helpful information about the type of processor, its manufacturer and so on. There is an opportunity to watch the parameters P-States.
Utility automatically calculates the intermediate P-States. Only for Intel processors with support for Model Specific
Registers (MSR), Enhanced SpeedStep (EST) and Thermal Monitor (TM1, TM2). 

Utility does not control power percent and does not initiate and does not include him. The utility reads the registers MSR, 
for this it needs the access level of the nucleus, because of what and using a driver.
When the system starts the driver removes 1 times the values P-States, and other information using the processor registers. 
When the tool is run driver is activated and removes the once per second readings registers MSR (temperature, voltage, multiplier). 
Close the program (or not running) - driver stops to do anything at all. 
Version 1.0.7 
- Increased speed of updating information read from the processor. 
Version 1.0.6 
- Fixed bug with display of multipliers 
Version 1.0.5 
- Fixed bugs with displaying the name of processors and multipliers on some CPU (test required) 
Version 1.0.4 
- Fixed known bugs and flaws 
- Use new tools from markswell to read parameters processor 
- Release for Snow Leopard 
Version 1.0.3b1 
- Fixed minor bugs 
- Added Throttle control processor. Works with spidstepom. Experimental feature. In the future, may be added as an option on / off spidstepa. 
Version 1.0.1b1 
- Added ability to specify its value Tjmax 
- The driver takes the testimony only during the program, the rest of the driver is sleeping now 
Version 1.0b 
- Oily program icon 
Version 0.9.4b 
- Bug fixes 
- Reduced the range of measurement for the thermometer in the dock from 25 C to 60 C (ranged from 0 to 60) 
Version 0.9.3b 
- Minor fixes 
- A more complete mapping information in the tab P-States 
- Icon in the dock varies depending on the temperature of processors / cores 
Version 0.9.1b 
- Support for displaying fractional multipliers 
- Display status of SpeedStep (enabled or disabled) 
- Fixed bug with displaying the CPU clock in the infe (I hope) 
Version 0.9a 
- The first alpha test version 
The archive is the program and driver (with the extension. Kext). Driver must be installed prior to the
\ System \ Library \ Extensions,  or in the \ Library \ Extensions, and load, otherwise the program 
will not display any parameters.[/size]

iCPU (1.0.7) from that appleru site attached (INTEL + Snow Leopard only for my knowledge!, PSTATES must be available to the tool (DSDT adding or BIOS suuports Pstates for OS X without DSDT adding)

post-15530-1252077023,7071.gif

Please not ask me about that tool - i dont know interals. You must ask at the russion site (create an account there).

cpui107.zip

• 1 month later...

Great, THANKS for working on the project superhai (also known as megadolon hero ;)

Even now its possible with dsdt changes to get also AppleIntelCPU+AppleLPC working, vodoopower based stepping

is much more easy to get working and also can be much better configured (more speedy+less powersaving , medium or less speedy+much powersaving).

Until now, nobody has found out to configure the cpu % load = step up/down with AppleIntelCPU usage.

• 3 weeks later...

I have installed the new VoodooPowerMini.kext - 10.6.x into /S/L/E and it seems to be working, although I get a KP when shutting down. Repaired permission's, just wondering if it's because I have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement in the same folder?

I am 99% sure that it is very BAD to use both AppleIntelCPU.kext and voodoopower !!!

Only use one, remove the other .kext !

It would doenst matter if the AppleIntelCPU didnt work with your dsdt config but if it works it make troble and is useless to sue both do the same thing.

• 1 month later...
Since 10.5.8 it is needed to use AppleIntelCPUPowermanagment.kext for proper sleep. Using the Applekext results in much higher CPU Temperature, so Powermanagement does not work with the kext.

Using Voodoopower kext results in lower CPU Temperature, but not as low as using NONE of both kexts. Why is that?

If i use NONE of both kexts, my CPU Temp sinks as low as 30C. If i use Voodoopower and the Apple kext together, the CPU Temp rises about 6C. That wouldn't bother me much, but the fan-noise gets to a disturbing state when the PC is idle ;)

There is a way to control CPU temperature from rising too high when it in full load. The process is called "undervolting". By lowering the voltage supplied to CPU, we will get low temperature without sacrificing performance. I have tested it in windows but not yet in mac. I believe we can achieve this via dsdt or maybe by modifying voodoopower?

kizwan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Works fine on my system with core2duo quad q6600. Is there a way to bloc cpu's frequency to the lowest step? For my cpu is 1600mhz... Thanks!!

I have the same cpu and I've locked it to 1600MHz and the lowest voltage which is 1162 mV. To edit this you will have to open the Info.plist file located under VoodooPower.kext/Contents/Info.plist. To change the default cpu frequency to the lowest multiplier change to this value (under PowerControl, OnAC):

<key>PStateLimitHigh</key>

<integer>32</integer>

To change the default voltage:

<key>UserVoltageMax</key>

<integer>1162</integer>

<key>UserVoltageMin</key>

<integer>1162</integer>

<key>VoltageOverride</key>

<true/>

<key>VoltageProbe</key>

<true/>

I have the same cpu and I've locked it to 1600MHz and the lowest voltage which is 1162 mV. To edit this you will have to open the Info.plist file located under VoodooPower.kext/Contents/Info.plist. To change the default cpu frequency to the lowest multiplier change to this value (under PowerControl, OnAC):

<key>PStateLimitHigh</key>

<integer>32</integer>

To change the default voltage:

<key>UserVoltageMax</key>

<integer>1162</integer>

<key>UserVoltageMin</key>

<integer>1162</integer>

<key>VoltageOverride</key>

<true/>

<key>VoltageProbe</key>

<true/>

Thanks olav!!! It works perfectly!!!!