EasyBCD 2.0 Beta: Automated PC_EFI, CHAIN0 Installation

Computer Guru

173 posts in this topic

Make sure to remove the entry created with the old version of EasyBCD first.

When adding a new entry with EasyBCD, keep the default "Mode: EFI" option set... then add the new entry. Upon selecting the entry at reboot, you will have the option of keying in the drive to boot from (verses booting from the default drive) since pc_efi v9 lets you pick what drive to boot OS X from.

That my problem starting up with the the other disk in the bootloader seems to mix up the kernels.

starting 10.5.5 with the bootloader on the 10.5.6 gives a kernel panic the other way around also.

Thats why I was trying to make a triple boot with EasyBCD.

Vis: Vista cannot be installed on a GUID partition normally - though Vista x64 technically has EFI/GUID support.

The best way of doing it is installing Vista first to an MBR disk keeping one partition free. Afterwards use any OS X distro installation disc to put OS X on the second partition *of the MBR disk* and use EasyBCD thereafter to facilitate the dual-boot.

I don't know if the IM community has developed a way to install Vista on a GUID disk.

First, thanks for your good work!! :(

Vista can be installed (and XP also) on a GUID (GPT) partitioned disk using the hibrid partition scheme OSX provides.

This is the way:

Use disk utility to partition the disk as GPT using 2 or 3 partitions, format first one as mac os journaled and second (or third) as MSDOS, that will create a hibrid GPT/MBR partition table. (In fact, this is the way OSX uses when you use bootcamp to install windows).

OSX is installed on first partition and XP or VISTA on second (or third) after format the volume as NTFS.

I have used chain0 and boot.ini edit to dualboot OSX/XP this way and EASYBCD to dual boot OSX/W7. Chameleon/DFE 132 and netkas PCEFI V9 tried sucessfully.

Vis: Vista cannot be installed on a GUID partition normally - though Vista x64 technically has EFI/GUID support.

The best way of doing it is installing Vista first to an MBR disk keeping one partition free. Afterwards use any OS X distro installation disc to put OS X on the second partition *of the MBR disk* and use EasyBCD thereafter to facilitate the dual-boot.

I don't know if the IM community has developed a way to install Vista on a GUID disk.

Vista Home Premium x64 installs perfectly fine to a GUID partitioned disk for me without any problems.

First, thanks for your good work!! :(

Vista can be installed (and XP also) on a GUID (GPT) partitioned disk using the hibrid partition scheme OSX provides.

This is the way:

Use disk utility to partition the disk as GPT using 2 or 3 partitions, format first one as mac os journaled and second (or third) as MSDOS, that will create a hibrid GPT/MBR partition table. (In fact, this is the way OSX uses when you use bootcamp to install windows).

OSX is installed on first partition and XP or VISTA on second (or third) after format the volume as NTFS.

I have used chain0 and boot.ini edit to dualboot OSX/XP this way and EASYBCD to dual boot OSX/W7. Chameleon/DFE 132 and netkas PCEFI V9 tried sucessfully.

Thanks Pere, but I still have a problem with this. Lets say I have one hard drive, partitioned into two volumes. osx 1 and Vista. It's a GUID partition. The problem is, when I select the Vista partition in the Disk Utility, the format area is set to Max OS Extended (Journaled) and is grayed out, so I have no option to set it to anything else right now. OSX is already installed on the OSX partition (I'm in it now). Is the Hybrid partition only available during OSX setup?

..first ,If I don't remember wrong for installing vista on a guid partition scheme , u need SP1 for Vista.

Second , If I'm using EFI9, and regularly deepsleep , when it's wake up from hibernate, I need to choose on the Easybcd menu ?

Or Can I get a "Quiet Boot" as with Darwin ?

OK, very cool!! ...and very timely (for me).

I have it installed on Vista64 and am now using it to multiboot between Vista64 on hw raid partition, Win7 prebeta 64bit on a seperate pata drive and Leopard 10.5.6 on a third GUID (pata) drive with pc_efi v9 courtesy of the Universal Installer.

It works, which is great. Its replacing the Easybcd 1.7.2 install which ceased to work once I used the UI to upgrade to 10.5.6 with efi v9.

Fisrt thing I noticed is it seems to want to boot OSX on the Vista drive... Vista and Win7 will always make their drive "C" at boot, and if it fails to find 'chain loader' then requires a ctrl-alt-del reboot. Two seconds to hit a key to get a choice of hdd to boot is a bit mean, but works. Having it fail-over to try HDD 2, if OSX isn't on HDD 1 would be nice.

Good work.

Is it possible to use this in conjunction with the VistaLoader vista hack? (It modifies the bootloader to make the OS think it's running on an OEM PC)

I'm getting a Valid BCD Registry Not detected error.

Thanks

With regards to the fallback to a different drive - I'm fairly certain that the Chameleon team has this fixed now that the 64kb barrier has been broken... As soon as we hear from them and find out what goodies they have in store, I'll update EasyBCD with the changes :)

It looks like EasyBCD is working great for everyone? No problems?

With regards to the fallback to a different drive - I'm fairly certain that the Chameleon team has this fixed now that the 64kb barrier has been broken... As soon as we hear from them and find out what goodies they have in store, I'll update EasyBCD with the changes :D

It looks like EasyBCD is working great for everyone? No problems?

Thanks Computer Guru, I'm using the EFI Bootloader, PC_EFI v9 (Chameleon 1.0.12), installed by the new Universal OSx86 Installer tool,

http://######.com/index.php?option=...9&Itemid=48

Hi,

I'm quite new to this, but I thought, let's give it a try...

Basics: Vista on HD0 (device80), OSX (iPC10.5.6/EFI9/MBR) on HD4 (device84).

Run BCD Edit on Vista, selected OSX/EFI, nothing else.

Restart: Bootmenu appears, I can choose between Vista/OSX (as it should be)

I choose OSX: no bootloader found..... (I have the option to press a key within 2 seconds; when I do, and I choose device #84 (i.e. my HD with OSX on it), OSX starts. Sounds very well, but how can I start OSX without the annoying delay of pressing a key and entering the devicenumber? Shouldn't be to difficult, one should think....?

I had this working fine but then I re installed Mac and now when I boot I have to choose the Mac partition on the darwin prompt... before I didnt have to.. I tried messing with EasyBCD and the settings and re installing the Vista Bootloader but I am not sure what to do with this.. Its annoying to have to choose the partition