ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

ALC889aALC898 ALC887(H87M-HD3) ALC662(945GCM-S2L)

• Please log in to reply
1152 replies to this topic

elitee

elitee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
I've been trying to get HDMI audio to work (using the gfx card [gtx 260] connected to the SPDIF out header on the MB) out of the DVI port, which never worked in Leopard; if I remember correctly it was a limitation of leopard.

Has anyone been successful in getting HDMI audio to work through any cards?

BTW I have an EP35-DS3L which uses the ALC888 codec, using the LegacyHDA kext for ALC888 4outs2in made by tmongkol with DSDT patched for HDEF audio.

Everything else works fine but HDMI audio.

airwalk776

airwalk776

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
hello Everyone

I have a EVGA x58 mobo

looking for some assistance with DSDT and hdef edit.

I have attached my Verbs and codec dumb but I dont know how to convert it to the pinconfig format needed to enter into the dsdt file

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Attached Files

Cloaked Hunter

Cloaked Hunter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Cloaked Hunter:

No helper kexts necessary, but it is necessary to remove any helper kexts. Layout-id 66 is already present in vanilla AppleHDA from at least 10.5.7 through 10.6. It's not a "perfect" solution but may work for you.

Okay, I tried using layout ID 66 and codec ID 0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10 (I also tried 0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10) with no luck. I was using the vanilla AppleHDA.kext, and no legacy/helper kexts whatsoever. Once again, no matter what I tried, I continued to see the same list of available devices in System Profiler, but no output devices listed in System Preferences.

Thanks for the suggestion, though! Any other ideas?

try It's a legacy kext and has to be used with AppleHDA.kext. Also, it needs DSDT w/ patched HDEF for working on SL. I just changed CodecID and LayoutID so I have no idea whether it will work for you or not. Your sound on board is ALC889 so CodecID must be 283904137. I hope it will work for you.

Thanks for the feedback! I went ahead and tried the kext that you provided using a vanilla AppleHDA.kext and a DSDT patched with codec ID 283904137 and layout ID 889, but unfortunately, no luck.

As I keep mentioning, no matter what I change in terms of my codec ID, layout ID, installed kexts, etc, I always see the same list of available devices in System Profiler (and always no output devices). What would cause the list of available devices to remain so constant? So long as I have a patched DSDT, it seems like my System Profiler page never changes (except for the "Audio ID"--that always matches my layout ID in my DSDT). Furthermore, this list of available devices includes far fewer items than what I'm used to seeing with Leopard, suggesting that the list of available devices is incorrect or incomplete.

What determines what appears in System Profiler under available devices? Based on what I've been observing, it would seem that my DSDT is determining the available devices, and if so, perhaps some part of my DSDT configuration is causing my problem. Would it be completely wrong to suggest that my DSDT should be patched differently for my EVGA motherboard?

Again, everyone's feedback is most appreciated. Any other ideas? I'm still hopeful that a solution can be found for us EVGA users.

Thanks!

airwalk776

airwalk776

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hunter

I see the samething you explained my evga x58 mobo. no mater what/which kext I use the same input output devices in profiler.

It has to be the edits we are making to the DSDT file. so as a test I removed the following lines from my dsdt file

/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,
/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B

The input output devices went away but the layout-id changes to zero.

I'll try some more tomorrow.

Cloaked Hunter

Cloaked Hunter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hunter

I see the samething you explained my evga x58 mobo. no mater what/which kext I use the same input output devices in profiler.

It has to be the edits we are making to the DSDT file. so as a test I removed the following lines from my dsdt file

/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,
/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B

The input output devices went away but the layout-id changes to zero.

I'll try some more tomorrow.

Yeah, something kept bugging me about those values, too. As far as I can see, they're the only significant (possibly relevant) values inside the DSDT (aside from the pin configuration, which many methods now seem to leave out and replace with 0x00).

Unfortunately, I have no idea what those values even represent. Does anybody know what the DTGP method is responsible for in the DSDT?

machinist

machinist

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Okay, I tried using layout ID 66 and codec ID 0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10 (I also tried 0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10) with no luck. I was using the vanilla AppleHDA.kext, and no legacy/helper kexts whatsoever. Once again, no matter what I tried, I continued to see the same list of available devices in System Profiler, but no output devices listed in System Preferences.

Thanks for the suggestion, though! Any other ideas?

Thanks for the feedback! I went ahead and tried the kext that you provided using a vanilla AppleHDA.kext and a DSDT patched with codec ID 283904137 and layout ID 889, but unfortunately, no luck.

As I keep mentioning, no matter what I change in terms of my codec ID, layout ID, installed kexts, etc, I always see the same list of available devices in System Profiler (and always no output devices). What would cause the list of available devices to remain so constant? So long as I have a patched DSDT, it seems like my System Profiler page never changes (except for the "Audio ID"--that always matches my layout ID in my DSDT). Furthermore, this list of available devices includes far fewer items than what I'm used to seeing with Leopard, suggesting that the list of available devices is incorrect or incomplete.

What determines what appears in System Profiler under available devices? Based on what I've been observing, it would seem that my DSDT is determining the available devices, and if so, perhaps some part of my DSDT configuration is causing my problem. Would it be completely wrong to suggest that my DSDT should be patched differently for my EVGA motherboard?

Again, everyone's feedback is most appreciated. Any other ideas? I'm still hopeful that a solution can be found for us EVGA users.

Thanks!

Cloaked Hunter:

Sorry it didn't work for you; you do have a different board so it was just a guess.

Might I suggest replacing all layout-ids and codec-ids and pinconfigurations and what have you in the HDEF section of your DSDT with just this code?

{                            "codec-id",                             Buffer (0x04)                            {                                0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10                            },                             "layout-id",                             Unicode ("B"),                             "device-type",                             Buffer (0x11)                            {                                "ALC889a"                            },

Of course remove all non-vanilla audio kexts.

If that doesn't work, then I suggest you try each layout-id present in appleHDA from 10.5.7, remembering to translate the decimal into hex. For example layout-id 66 is 0x42, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 or, apparently Unicode ("B").

Here are the layout-ids I have collected in examining each appleHDA since 10.5.6: 00, 12, 16, 18, 20, 22, 36, 38, 40, 42, 46, 48, 50, 52, 53, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 72, 73, 74, 80, 82, 83, 84, 86, 102, 117. A couple of these are not in appleHDA, call them hexaccidents, but I didn't keep track of which they were. Somewhere in there is likely a working solution to your issue. I recorded the results for each layout but as I have a very different board then yours it probably isn't relevant.

Good luck.

Cloaked Hunter

Cloaked Hunter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Cloaked Hunter:

Sorry it didn't work for you; you do have a different board so it was just a guess.

Might I suggest replacing all layout-ids and codec-ids and pinconfigurations and what have you in the HDEF section of your DSDT with just this code?

{                            "codec-id",                             Buffer (0x04)                            {                                0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10                            },                             "layout-id",                             Unicode ("B"),                             "device-type",                             Buffer (0x11)                            {                                "ALC889a"                            },

Of course remove all non-vanilla audio kexts.

If that doesn't work, then I suggest you try each layout-id present in appleHDA from 10.5.7, remembering to translate the decimal into hex. For example layout-id 66 is 0x42, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 or, apparently Unicode ("B").

Here are the layout-ids I have collected in examining each appleHDA since 10.5.6: 00, 12, 16, 18, 20, 22, 36, 38, 40, 42, 46, 48, 50, 52, 53, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 72, 73, 74, 80, 82, 83, 84, 86, 102, 117. A couple of these are not in appleHDA, call them hexaccidents, but I didn't keep track of which they were. Somewhere in there is likely a working solution to your issue. I recorded the results for each layout but as I have a very different board then yours it probably isn't relevant.

Good luck.

Great! I'll give these a go tomorrow when I have... 38*5... 190 minutes of free time. :D

Now, with only codec-id, layout-id, and device-type, does that mean I need to change "Store (Package (0x08)" to "Store (Package (0x06)"? Or does it even matter?

Thanks!

machinist

machinist

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Great! I'll give these a go tomorrow when I have... 38*5... 190 minutes of free time. :D

Now, with only codec-id, layout-id, and device-type, does that mean I need to change "Store (Package (0x08)" to "Store (Package (0x06)"? Or does it even matter?

Thanks!

Cloaked Hunter:

I've erred in computing the buffers, forgetting it is the number of items PLUS ONE in hex and either the code is forgiving, iaslme corrects, or I've been lucky, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. That said, when I change an item I still carefully recalculate, counting the letters and spaces and adding one, then convert it through this clever little Dashboard Widget called Number Converter by John Bestoso (it looks like, the letters are really tiny). You'll be happy to have it as you plow through the layout-ids. I would change it.

Keep in mind only a handful of layout ids produced sound out the jack I wanted, and only two produced sound from more then one jack, and just one has a working digital out. Oddly, that's the first one I tested, so I never got a better result for all the work. So it can go; let me know how it goes.

The prize for this work is what I have, sufficient utilization of the mobo's audio hardware which is consistent through updates, thus far. Layout-id 66 works the same in 10.5.6 through Snow. I suspect the hardware configuration of my UD3P is just close enough to some Mac. I suspect no update will ever "break" it. How could it?

Good hunting.

iNarancs

iNarancs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I don't know where to go, so I ask my question here.
I have GA-EP35-DS3 using with AppleHDA.kext version 1.6.8a3 downloaded from here. The problem is that the shut down is working fine but the sleep and the restart just doesn't work. What should I do?

longtom

longtom

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

I don't know where to go, so I ask my question here.
I have GA-EP35-DS3 using with AppleHDA.kext version 1.6.8a3 downloaded from here. The problem is that the shut down is working fine but the sleep and the restart just doesn't work. What should I do?

Which kext do you have in Extra?

iNarancs

iNarancs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Which kext do you have in Extra?

Nothing, I'm using KextHelper b7 with series of LegacyHDA 889 (ALC889a)/4outs2ins HDA headphone LegacyHDA.kext to get 5.1 sound

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Nothing, I'm using KextHelper b7 with series of LegacyHDA 889 (ALC889a)/4outs2ins HDA headphone LegacyHDA.kext to get 5.1 sound

You'll need either an injector kext (HDAEnabler.kext) or DSDT injection.

D

iNarancs

iNarancs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

You'll need either an injector kext (HDAEnabler.kext) or DSDT injection.

D

of course I'm using the HDAEnabler from the series of legacy pack

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

of course I'm using the HDAEnabler from the series of legacy pack

are you using openhaltrestart.kext

Try to find an install guide for your motherboard. This would be your best place to start!

Here is my guide for the GA EP35 DS4 - a lot of it will be relevant to you

http://www.insanelym...p...=161303&hl=

D.

iNarancs

iNarancs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

are you using openhaltrestart.kext

Try to find an install guide for your motherboard. This would be your best place to start!

Here is my guide for the GA EP35 DS4 - a lot of it will be relevant to you

http://www.insanelym...p...=161303&hl=

D.

I've got the SleepEnabler.kext and OpenHaltRestart.kext kext so now the restart is working and I've made a progress with sleep problem too... Although now it's completely go to deep sleep so none of the fans are working but when I want to switch it on it just doesn't wake up only the fans start but in a different way not like it's working properly

Cloaked Hunter

Cloaked Hunter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Alright, I finally got audio working in Snow Leopard, but not how you might think.

I decided to try a patched DSDT along with my old AppleHDA.kext from 10.5.8 (the one that tmongkol originally patched for the EVGA X58). I never tried this before, but, you guessed it--it worked perfectly.

Now, obviously, this solution isn't perfect since I'm now using a non-vanilla AppleHDA.kext, but it's better than no audio. When I find some spare time, I may revisit machinist's suggestion and start battling his list of layout IDs so that I can use a vanilla AppleHDA.kext.

airwalk776, give this a try and report back with your results. Patch your DSDT using codec ID "0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10" and layout ID "0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00", then install tmongkol's original 1.5.7a24 AppleHDA.kext for the EVGA X58. Remove all other audio kexts and see what happens. Oh, another condition is that you must boot the kernel using 32-bit. Use the -x32 kernel flag in your com.apple.boot.plist. Hopefully that won't be a problem for you.

Big thanks go to tmongkol and machinist!

airwalk776

airwalk776

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Alright, I finally got audio working in Snow Leopard, but not how you might think.

I decided to try a patched DSDT along with my old AppleHDA.kext from 10.5.8 (the one that tmongkol originally patched for the EVGA X58). I never tried this before, but, you guessed it--it worked perfectly.

Now, obviously, this solution isn't perfect since I'm now using a non-vanilla AppleHDA.kext, but it's better than no audio. When I find some spare time, I may revisit machinist's suggestion and start battling his list of layout IDs so that I can use a vanilla AppleHDA.kext.

airwalk776, give this a try and report back with your results. Patch your DSDT using codec ID "0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10" and layout ID "0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00", then install tmongkol's original 1.5.7a24 AppleHDA.kext for the EVGA X58. Remove all other audio kexts and see what happens. Oh, another condition is that you must boot the kernel using 32-bit. Use the -x32 kernel flag in your com.apple.boot.plist. Hopefully that won't be a problem for you.

Big thanks go to tmongkol and machinist!

Hunter

It worked for me also. I see all the input outputs I had before in 10.5.7. I will try my 5.1 config later. and report back.
With this working correctly If we just change the current aapleHDA like the way tmongkol patched the 1.5.7a24 it should work also. no ?

I appreciate all the hard work everyone does in this forum to help other out.

FKA

FKA

are we there yet?

• Members
  • 1,626 posts
Hi tmongkol

I am using AppleHDA 1.7.1a2 with your LegacyHDA for 3out 2in HDA and DSDT for injection.

I've noticed a new HDA Controller errors at boot:

[codebox]02/09/2009 15:03:35 kernel extension "com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController" cannot be found
02/09/2009 15:03:35 kernel can't find extension com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController
02/09/2009 15:03:35 kernel Can't determine dependencies for com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController.
02/09/2009 15:03:35 kernel Couldn't alloc class "AppleHDAController"
02/09/2009 15:03:35 kernel netkas presents fakesmc, a kext which emulates smc device
02/09/2009 15:03:35 kernel extension "com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController" cannot be found
02/09/2009 15:03:35 kernel can't find extension com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController
02/09/2009 15:03:35 kernel Can't determine dependencies for com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController.
02/09/2009 15:03:35 kernel Couldn't alloc class "AppleHDAController" [/codebox]

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
D.

Cloaked Hunter

Cloaked Hunter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

With this working correctly If we just change the current aapleHDA like the way tmongkol patched the 1.5.7a24 it should work also. no ?

Well, I thought so, too. I actually tried this several days ago, but it didn't work. Then, tmongkol sent me a version that he patched himself, but that didn't work either. (That's actually when I decided to try the old 1.5.7a24 AppleHDA.kext). It seems Apple changed enough to render the patch ineffective.

Maybe tmongkol (or someone else) can figure out what needs to happen to patch this latest AppleHDA.kext. While I know the exact steps that tmongkol used to patch the 1.5.7a24 AppleHDA.kext, I'm no expert on why those changes work.

In the meantime, this 1.5.7a24 AppleHDA.kext continues to work fine in Snow Leopard.

Black Knight

Black Knight

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
Hey guys. I'm about to go completely insane. I've been trying to use codec verbs and pre-compiled kexts for my ALC889a for such a long time now with no successful sound output. What I have been able to do is get HDEF in my DSDT working perfectly (reports all available ports correctly in System Profiler). I've tried all of the LegacyHDA kexts posted in this thread for mine (edited for my address 0 codec of course, and also with my correct codec verbs and the originals) and still no output or input devices in System Prefs. I'm using Snow Leopard and 10.5.8 currently on a Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-UD5P.

I'll also post my codec dump and verbs from verbit. I really need some help with this.

P.S.
I get a sound assertion error with all of my codec verbs when I do them one by one or all together. It is as follows:

Sound assertion "0 != setupHostInterface()" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-174.1.1/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 255 goto Exit1

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy