The NVIDIA 9500GT Thread

Mrx33

454 posts in this topic

I have a very noob question to ask, when installing ideneb, under customize (right before you install the system) what drivers do I click on? I have the geforce 512 card and after installing I get the gray apple and then a completely black screen, as in my monitor doesn't recognize anything, its not a kernel screen. I am sure I am just not clicking on the right options when installing. Any help would be great. Once I get through a startup, I can follow the great instructions in this thread as far using injectors and such. I just need help getting started up.

I have been fighting with the same problem. I have Palit 9500 GT 512 MB with DVI, VGA and HDMI connectors. I run iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6. Without any EFI strings I get gray boot logo picture and when it's switching to desktop screen goes black and monitor gives "no signal" error.

I did read the ROM with nvflash. NVcap maker gives the NVCAP 040000000000300040000000000000700000000.

I generated EFI string with OSX86tools and inserted that to com.apple.Boot.plist. Now I get to desktop but CI is software and when moving windows or scrolling them garbage is left on screen. I have tried 10.5.6 NVidia drivers, Aquamac Nvidia update for 10.5.5 and Apple 2009 Nvidia update for 10.5.6. All give the same results. I have also tried NVdarwin 1.2.5 but always just got the black screen and no signal with that.

I noticed that System Profiler only reports 32 MB VRAM. Could this be problem and drivers don't enable hardware CI if they see too little memory? Maybe a problem with my EFI string after all?

Display:

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0640

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

It was the EFI string after all. I re-generated the EFI string with OSX86tools and wrote it to com.apple.Boot.plist by clicking the button on the bottom of the screen. Earlier I did it manually editing the file and copying the string from OSX86tools window. There seems to be 1 byte difference in the strings for some odd reason. Note that to be able to write com.apple.Boot.plist in iDeneb you have to copy OSX86tools some other location. It is be default installed to Applications/ideneb app which is not working because of the space in the folder name...

Now CI & QE are enabled and 512 MB shown in system profiler :D

Did you catch your specific NVCAP?

When you got *your* NVCAP you can use it while producing the EFI string, when it says "monitor connected" you select CUSTOM, then you paste the NVCAP code.

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to. I was trying to add the custom EFI string with OSx86 tools. I selected 1024 mb and DVI/DVI configuration and added it to the list. The problem is, when I go to add it to the boot list, it gives me an error. I'm not sure how to get around this.

Then you will need the NVCAP string, and you obtain this from your nvidia card ROM file (I don't remember the software name, I booted in DOS with a USB key and the run the sw), you will open the ROM file with NVCap Maker and you'll have your nvcap string.

Then use osxtools to create the efi string. My nvcap is 0400000000000300040000000000000700000000 as I posted

Howto flash your bios nvidia ROM? Something like this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=246530

The software you need to obtain your NVIDIA rom file is nvflash and you can simple google for it, then you must boot in DOS, with a usbkey, or maybe in your windows partition, you save your *own* nvidia rom bios file (and this is the reason I didn't any one-click-install), then you give it to NVCAP MAKER and now you have the NVCAP string, you don't have to select the monitor connection, you must select *custom* then paste the nvcap string while creating the EFI string.

Obviously you even need the 10.5.6 nvidia driver, or maybe the latest one included in the 2009 nvidia update, as you can read in the thread.

It was the EFI string after all. I re-generated the EFI string with OSX86tools and wrote it to com.apple.Boot.plist by clicking the button on the bottom of the screen. Earlier I did it manually editing the file and copying the string from OSX86tools window. There seems to be 1 byte difference in the strings for some odd reason. Note that to be able to write com.apple.Boot.plist in iDeneb you have to copy OSX86tools some other location. It is be default installed to Applications/ideneb app which is not working because of the space in the folder name...

Now CI & QE are enabled and 512 MB shown in system profiler :)

Yes, but what settings did you choose when first installing ideneb for the video card???

• 2 weeks later...

I've got ZOTAC GeForce 9500GT 512 ddr2, tried i think all the ways, still CI: Software, no QE...

It looks like your method is fine, but it also don't work.. maybe i'm doing something wrong :/

My OS is iAtkos v5, updated to 10.5.6.

luckily, device id of my card is the same as martinez's, so i just copypasted his nvdahal50 & nvdaresman to mine.

then, i made [blablabla].plist file, which contains:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>

<dict>

<key>@0,compatible</key>

<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>

<key>@0,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@0,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>

<key>@1,compatible</key>

<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>

<key>@1,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@1,name</key>

<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>

<key>NVCAP</key>

<data>

04000000000003000c0000000000000700000000=

</data>

<key>NVPM</key>

<data>

AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==

</data>

<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>

<string>0x20000000</string>

<key>device_type</key>

<string>NVDA,Parent</string>

<key>model</key>

<string>GeForce 9500 GT</string>

<key>name</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>rom-revision</key>

<string>GeForce 9500 GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

then i opened osx86tools, and:

1.Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag

2.Import Hex/Plist

3.Import file...[chosen plist]

4.Import String To Boot Editor

5.Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist

6.Close

then, just in case(it was somewhere)

Repair Permissions

Run Selected Tasks

and did restart

after, i realized, that nvdarwin was loaded, so moved kext to trash, after next reboot, same with nvdarwin, after last reboot, it looked like it at last loaded my nvda, but...

Chipset Model: Generic NVIDIA

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0640

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: GeForce 9500 GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Displays:

916W:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

..and it's still fkin nothing :D

Any ideas?

You need *your* NVCAP and I wrote how you can do that, you need the nvidia rom file (it's the video card bios) and you can get it with a DOS software I wrote the name, then with a mac software you can produce your NVCAP, I don't think it's the same of mine.

You don't need to create the .plist file, just:

- open osx86tools

- add efi string

- click on gfx string

- choose custom geforce (you need to scroll the list)

- enter your video card name

- enter memory size

- NOW choosing your display configuration, choose custom

- enter *your* NVCAP, not mine

save the plist

Enable even Quartz Extreme from the main panel of osx86tools "enable/disable quartz GL"

then reboot

The new 2009 Mac Pro base card is the nvidia gt120 512MB, which is apparently a renamed 9500GT.

I have the 9500GT, and am putting together my hackintosh soon. I need 3 monitors so I need 2x video cards.

Shouldn't the 9500GT work by default now that apple is using that card?

What made you think, that this nvcap is only yours?

It's mine as well :(

I just got it working a day ago..

after what i did in last post:

a) got mad

b) installed nvdarwin, without modyfing anything(unlike previous attemptsm where just got info 'driver is invalid')

c) opened osx86tools removed all EFI strings(just added blank string to apple.com.boot.plist)

d) reboot

e) omg, it works o_0

There's only one problem - 256 vram instead of 512... any ideas of fixing?

Remove nvdarwin.kext that's definetely not needed and modify nvdanv50 and nvdanvresman info.plist with your device id, it's not really difficult... after:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

there's <string>, well insert yours, mine 0x064010de yours could even be the same :(

(then remove extension cache and repair permission with osx86tools)

Remove nvdarwin.kext that's definetely not needed and modify nvdanv50 and nvdanvresman info.plist with your device id, it's not really difficult... after:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

there's <string>, well insert yours, mine 0x064010de yours could even be the same :)

(then remove extension cache and repair permission with osx86tools)

I had tried this with my PNY 9500GT 512MB card. I had all the correct NVRAM strings read from the card's BIOS inserted into NVDanV50 and NVDanVresman, set probe values to 0, I deleted NVDarwin.kext, imported EFI strings into boot.plist using osx86tools (also enabled QE), deleted Extensions.kext and all caches, reset kext permissions in terminal, repaired drive permissions using diskutil and rebooted. All this resulted in my card being recognized, but without hardware accelaration or QE support.

However, if I use NVDarwin with the correct NVRAM and card id (but no EFI string added to boot.plist) I get all hardware accelaration and QE functioning, but the card is identified as "unknown".

Any ideas?

HP dv6113 Laptop

AMD Turion x2

nForce Chipset

GeForceGO 6150 256mb

Broadcom wireless

Conexant HD Audio

Hey everyone, i installed mac os x successfully after many tries and installed NVinjectGo kexts and 2 others for my video card but after i installed that, keyboard, trackpad, dvd drive and usb ports won't work; used to work before (only mouse is recognized in usb port).

Also, programs such as front row won't show up. I don't know if there is another way to install my video card so that QE would be enabled? i don't really know what that means but i know it has to do something with the other functions of the graphics card. I can select different resolutions for the screen but software like front row won't run. Please help.

Installed with an older version of Zephyroth:

Didn't select any Video card drivers

After I installed the following kext files - NVDriver, NVidia, NVinjectGO and deleted IONDRVSupport.kext

Also installed AppleACPIPlatform and AppleAPIC kext files for my wireless card after reboot.

Right. I have lost a day of my life and a considerable amount of my hair due to this ******* graphics card and now i am going to ask you lot for help!

I have tried everything on this topic, i have downloaded every file and tried every method, but not once have i managed to boot into the OS with actual drivers installed.

I am running the following:

Asus P5VDC-X Mobo

1GB DDR2 RAM

P4 @ 3GHz

PNY GeForce 9500GT 512MB (dual dvi + hd vid out)

Hitachi 250GB SATA

iPC 10.5.6 with 9.5 voodoo kernal and minimal additions

I want to cry. Money is tight at the moment so a new mac was out of the question and i thus decided to upgrade my ageing hackintosh with some new bits including a graphics card. Looks as if it was a bad move ;)

Please please please, i ask for your help. I am not trained in computers at all, but have taught myself a fair bit over the past 20 years, however the unix underpinnings involved in this great osx86 project are probably a step too far for me. In the past i have modified kexts with device ids with some success, but this one has me stumped. Its not made easier by the fact that the graphics performace without drivers means i cant see anything clearly anyway.

Does anyone have a COMPLETE IDIOTS Guide to setting this right? I know there have been many but they are all still very complicated. Is it cheeky to ask if anyone has the card i have (PC World in the UK) and is prepared to send me files and walk me through?

Thanks in advance.

Right. I have lost a day of my life and a considerable amount of my hair due to this ******* graphics card and now i am going to ask you lot for help!

I have tried everything on this topic, i have downloaded every file and tried every method, but not once have i managed to boot into the OS with actual drivers installed.

Try installing without any video card drivers firstly and then install them after using kext helper. That might work. At least you'll get to boot into the OS.

Hello, i have leopard 10.5.6 retail version, and ....nvidia 9500 gt 1 gb...can you help me? I have 3 out: dvi, hdmi and vga, and i'd like to use vga and dvi...

Please, thanks a lotttttttttttttttt!

I went out and bought a Palit 9500GT 1GB with the same connections, got it working within a short time. My devide ID was already in NVDANV50.kext, all I did was add it in NVDARESMAN.kext and installed a 1024MB NVdarwin.kext using kexthelper. Worked a charm :)

Try doing that and you won't have a problem.

Guys I made a complete re-install of OSX and I noticed that the driver doesn't start immediately.

In my case I needed some -x -v -f restart. And even a shutdown. I didn' get the right procedure, but be sure you erased Extension.mkext, be sure you set right permission, reboot in -x -v -f mode shutdown it and boot. :)

These attached are the NVDANV50HAL.kext and the NVDAResman.kext from the nvidia 2009 update (that was erased from apple wsite) and those are the kext I'm using, they're stable and reliable on this system.

I remember to those who read too fast that you still need the efi string as I wrote many times

Nvidia Driver version: 1.5.38.22 (17.3.5f18)

Archive.zip