153 replies to this topic

Random_hero

Random_hero

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Shameless crosspost, but this seems a more appropriate place:

I've ran the SSE patch (my AMD 64 3000+ is an SSE2) but I still cant get iTunes (or any other SSE3 application) to work. I can't find Rosetta (it's not under the 'get info'-option), it doesn't seem to be available on my system. I'm using the Deadmoo version, is that a problem? Any suggestions?

outoftheboxx10

outoftheboxx10

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:mostly hardware

Shameless crosspost, but this seems a more appropriate place:

I've ran the SSE patch (my AMD 64 3000+ is an SSE2) but I still cant get iTunes (or any other SSE3 application) to work. I can't find Rosetta (it's not under the 'get info'-option), it doesn't seem to be available on my system. I'm using the Deadmoo version, is that a problem? Any suggestions?

do a fresh install from one of the patched dev dvds.....it should help out, works better than deadmoo...itunes never worked with the deadmoo for me **edit: also make sure you get the latest patches if you are going to stick with deadmoo**

as far as the previous post about pentium M line not supporting sse3.....can't wait for yonah =)

boinkle

boinkle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK, so I reinstalled with one of those {censored} patched marklar discs... I now have a nice partition map, but Rosetta, I can't help but feel, is **a lot** slower now. [edit: on my SSE3-enabled celeron 331]

Is there any way I can check the status of my Rosetta subsystem? Maybe MD5 sums, or such, for the key files. for reference, I've done all of the obvious things -- the CoreGraphics file, and mach_kernel have been replaced with the SSE3 versions. If this is an issue with everyone installing from said disc, it probably should be posted here...

Mango

Mango

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

You don't get 64bit with Semprons, dude. Sorry ;)

As far as I know - all the Semprons sold today (socket 754) are 64bit with SSE3 support.

(please correct me if I am wrong)

If you look around you can probably find an "old" Sempron that only have 32bit and SSE2 support - but they are hard to find today.

numberonekiwi

numberonekiwi

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
I have been looking on amd's web page and getting 2 conflicting results depending on where i look there

I think my chip is the clawhammer

amd website on some pages shows socket 754 as being sse2/3 but last time i checked with winblows it did not display sse3 not sure if there are settings in bios or if only some 754 pin chips support sse3 if that is the so what would be the best chip to replace my existing one with also is there any difference with sepron 64/athlon64?

The Chazinator

The Chazinator

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Sempron 754's are SSE3 capable, last time I checked. I am also pretty sure that they have 64-bit extensions on them as well.

It would be kind of ridiculous for Apple to develop an operating system with support for SSE processors. It would not only be a lot more work for a lot less response, but it wouldn't do much for the OS anyway b/c it would run slow.

So :angry: to SSE.

Taro-Kun

Taro-Kun

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Researching computer hardware and low-level system workings in any OS, dabbing in programming, s...

You can't use VMWare when you only have SSE, can you?

My Duron 1.8 (not the machine I'm going to try osx86 on) has only SSE and I can use vmware just fine- unless you mean, use it to emulate an SSE2 cpu, in that case is a big fat no.

numberonekiwi

numberonekiwi

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
found this on amd site

http://www.amd.com/u...9_11604,00.html

which states sempron is sse2 but I am sure I too have seen that sempron 754 is sse3 not sure where, I also can find no referene to 64 bit.

maxvk

maxvk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Is there anyone here who is succesfully running os x on a sse machine. If not can u tell me what goes wrong, what works with an sse cpu, when it goes wrong etc. I know my old dell latitude c600 ( p3 850 mhz) won't be fast in os x. but i think everything is better than XP as long it isn't a command line.

zoomie

zoomie

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Sempron 754's are SSE3 capable, last time I checked. I am also pretty sure that they have 64-bit extensions on them as well.

The 754 pin Semprons come two flavors...one with 64 bit enabled and one without 64bit enabled. The Sempron64's have SSE3. The 32bit version is only SSE2

Dippyskoodlez

Dippyskoodlez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

found this on amd site

http://www.amd.com/u...9_11604,00.html

which states sempron is sse2 but I am sure I too have seen that sempron 754 is sse3 not sure where, I also can find no referene to 64 bit.

There are several revisions.

130nm semprons have SSE2d, if its socket 754 (ill leave socket a out, as its just a rebranded athlon xp anyways)
first revision 90nm (winchester like) have SSE2 only aswell.
Second revision (venice like) have SSE3. (90nm)

They are just variations in cores.

LAPTOPODO

LAPTOPODO

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I Have Centrino 1.5Ghz .... SSE2 how do I have to patch the ISO image for running Rosetta?

What do I have to use for it?

I have already the Maklar-Tiger.iso image and I'll patch it now with the [b]Maklar-tiger-patch-release1.ppf (using ppf-o-matic3).

What else do I have to do?... I have too the SSEPatcher.exe ....do this program patch the SSE2 processor automactly? or must the image be patched too?

thanks.

zietBukuel

zietBukuel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ socket 939 and it seems it has only see & see2, if i install osx86 it will run ok, with no problems? :S

Edited by zietBukuel, 06 January 2006 - 06:00 AM.

Doug the Impaler

Doug the Impaler

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

arg my overclocked barton 2500 with 1gb of corsair and raid array has more than enough power if only apple wasnt so f***ing retarded in encoding something explicitley for sse2 it's an extension no program let alone operating system should DEPEND on it's presence. but then again apple never intended it to run on anything but new intel hardware which is sad and a leaves out amd. AMD has some great technology but it doesnt have the resources intel does to push out the new designs and research smaller manufacturing processes, I read intel has perfected it's .45 process if only amd had the funds to pursue that then they could really give intel a run for its' money. Not that apple is a big fish anymore it's not a lot of bussiness really for intel but anyways the point of the whole rant is this blows I love my barton and apple should have kept their options open by compiling this so that sse2 and 3 COULD be used if they were there but so that it would not DEPEND on them. What if they do decide to liscense this out to pc's they'll loose bussiness.

Hold on there, sport.

1.) Apple has no interest in licensing this for PC's.
2.) How would it be losing business if they did and your PC couldn't run it? They wouldn't lose customers they never had in the first place.
3.) Apple's hardware is what it's designed to run on. Therefore if you want it to run, get hardware that closely matches Apple's hardware.
4.) Unless you're a dev trying to get this software off your dev box and onto your personal box, or unless you've donated (not that I have, mind you, though I really should because the info is so excellent) to great sites like this, you haven't paid $.01 for the development. There are awesome people in this community who have gotten as much running on as much hardware as possible. I, for one, am thankful.

zid

zid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
my cpu is a semp. 2600, i have it running at 2.25ghz (this cpu is able to take a major overclock) OSX is running wonderful. boots in about 18 sec. It is stable, and fast, and just for the hell of it, i "compared" to a duel 2ghz G5 that i use at work...

10x10, 300 DPI photoshop file, created a gradient fill, gave it a radial blur set at 70... results... G5 18 sec... Semp. 21 sec... the sempron of course is running photoshop in rosetta...

I have to say... i am not disappointed with the speed of the overclocked sempron cpu... One more thing... i'm not sure it is normal with the SSE2 patch applied... (during install i assumed my CPU didn't have SSE3) but the system profiler says SSE3 is a supported tech.

(this is of course a sempron 754-64bit)

Careless

Careless

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
my question is how come no one has made a site iwth the following kernels. or all the possible combinations of the following

RTC / NO RTC
CPUID / NO CPUID
NX(DX) / NO NX(DX)
SSE2 / SSE3

I'm trying to find a way to get my mach_kernel.orig to be RTC and SSE3 ONLY.

because i know my computer supports NX and SSE3, and i dont know what the CPUID does but im guessing it has to do with the naming of the processor. If i can get it to say AMD Opteron 165 Dual Core then i'd appreciate it if someone just gave me some instructions because running the kernel without patches through darwin ends up giving me a double panic, so it's either the CPUID or the RTC.

and all the other posts i made got NO replies for something that's been talked about but never tutorialed.

and for some stupid reason the patches that are released all have CPUID undo, and RTC Undo, NX/DX undo..... but no SSE3 undo.

And i followed the instructions on how to run the kernels and whatever with no SSE3.... but it JUST PANICS!

so i want to atleast know how i can do this in either a windows or a osx environment without having to download an entire new DVD or something like that. all i'm asking for is somenoe to provide different mach_kernel flavours for 10.4.3 so that i may test which one works best.

that cant be so hard, can it? its not like im asking someone to write nVidia drivers.
i just this really weird stuttering problem after a while of use, and i'm thinking it has something to do with NX or SSE3... both of which i support, but are patched out in my current kernel. and if CPUID will not do any harm, but just change the name of my processor, that'd be damn sweet too.

Dragon

Dragon

Insanely Dragon

• Retired Developers
  • 414 posts
i'm gonna try it on my latitude c600 and i'll tell ya how it goes :) mines 1ghz though

cryptic

cryptic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
After reading many posts i finally figured out that my computer is too old :(

my g5 sits next to it, so its not that bad....

for all the people that dont know that much about hardware... (ie myself)

when you boot from the cd and it says press F8 for more options, boot with the -v option

there will then be a line cpu features: this is were you find out you have a crappy cpu with SSE only :(

gman4dx266

gman4dx266

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
To clear up the speculation, I have a Sempron 3000+ *32 Bit* cpu in my laptop. It also has SSE3 support. So for all the nay sayers out there, i have proven you wrong. Great chip, just wish it had more than 128 L2 at times...

star2king

star2king

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
aha.i own intel p4 2.4c ,it's work fine~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy