Slimbuild - Boot-132 CD Creator for OS X

munky

342 posts in this topic

InstaHackintosh and Slimbuild are both fantastic, each providing a different purpose. That's why I chose to make GUIs for both ;) Anyways, give me 2 or 3 days and I'll get something together

Edit: I would like to clarify that I only do the GUIs, most of the credit should be given to the original authors.

Thanks to everyone making these tools. It's hard to keep up with the progress being made these days. And GUIs are always welcome! One extra feature that might be nice is if you could opt whether or not to build an extensions.mkext. I think it builds one by default, but the option to not do this and have your extensions all individual could be handy.

Does this tool build isos that can boot OK when AHCI mode is enabled in certain configs (ide pioneer dvdrw perhaps)? I wasn't able to do this with the first boot-132 disc I downloaded. Later, munky figured out that it was down to how some isos were built. The last time I made an updated disc I just replaced the initrd.img in Windows with MagicISO to ensure the disc would boot fine.

when i get my mac back on friday i will look into that issue. i've heard a few people talking about ahci or jmicron not working right for booting these preboot disks... I am not entirely sure how the hdiutil eltorito build process differs from other methods but I will definitely look into it.

Sorry for the Confusion and the Discussion that happend for my Question ;) . I don't wanted this. I just wanted to know the + and the -, the difference for those two great Apps. It wasn't clear for me what will happend after this question.

I also apologize at STLVNUB, I don't know that you basically made this, because on the Leo4all Site only PcWiz was named (and from there I got the Information about the App...). Sorry again.

Like I said, both (Slimbuild and InstaHackintosh) are great apps, a big step forward for the Scene.

So a big apologize :)

~Blue-K

I don't know that you basically made this, because on the Leo4all Site only PcWiz was named (and from there I got the Information about the App...). Sorry again.

Ahem, Leo4All forum mods if you are here then you may want to make a change to that news release and mention that STLVNUB wrote the script ;) I'll get started on the GUI now.

Very nice.

Just a quick question, can i somehow add an com.apple.Boot.plist file using this script?

I wanted to use EFI string for my graphics instead of .kext.

Keep up the good work.

I was gonna ask the same thing

At this point the bootloader can not handle having a boot.plist on a preboot disk. Traditionally a boot.plist is used for rooting the operating system hard drive and parsing static boot arguments etc though with the advent of device properties strings I could see how they would be a caveat. Ideally you would only use a preboot disk for installation and then could switch over to using a modified file base on your hard disk once the operating system is up and active. Work is being done however to allow the boot.plist to work on preboot disks though as i said earlier its original purpose was not intended to be used in such a case and i feel that it may cause some issues to crop up that will need to be ironed out, none the less it is being worked on B)

Hi,

First of all ... thanks ~Galaxy for this little tool.

I tried a few times creating a bootdisk on my own and it always failed.

I made a slimbuild disk with the kexts I needed and it worked B)

And my 2cents about the "race" ... :

I use the slimbuild disc to install a "test" retail leopard.

It's a fast way the test out some kexts ... Just add/remove kext , run script , burn iso on RW and test.

Once I have everything working how it should I can collect all my info/kexts and create an InstaHack DVD.

So for me slimbuild is more a testing/tweaking tool and InstaHack is very nice to have on your desk if you decide to do a quick reinstall and have a working-up-to-date Leopard in just a few minutes.

~Galaxy, STLVNUB , you guys are a real value to the community!

~pcwiz thanks for (all) the gui's you made and will make

Greetz

Axethrower

Actually I slipped in a little bonus...

The version of the bootloader included here has been patched to support a com.apple.Boot.plist which should sit in the root of the ramdisk image. It supports device properties strings too :thumbsup_anim:

At the moment it's for advanced users only, the script doesn't yet support this directly, so you'd have to edit the initrd.img manually and rebuild the ISO by hand.

If you just want the patched boot file, its available here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=923601

Tried it out on my system - extracted the Extensions directory and voodoo-b1 kernel from my internal disk efi partition to use in the build. worked like a charm. Very useful option!

Put me in the group that has no interest in building an updated install dvd. My DL DVD burner has never produced a usable dvd :)

The version of the bootloader included here has been patched to support a com.apple.Boot.plist which should sit in the root of the ramdisk image. It supports device properties strings too :D

At the moment it's for advanced users only, the script doesn't yet support this directly, so you'd have to edit the initrd.img manually and rebuild the ISO by hand.

If you just want the patched boot file, its available here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=923601

sounds tricky

The version of the bootloader included here has been patched to support a com.apple.Boot.plist which should sit in the root of the ramdisk image. It supports device properties strings too :censored2:

Munky,

I modified the slimbuild.sh script to add support for an additional directory placed along with the Extensions and Kernel directories. It's called Plist - I know, no imagination - and if it contains a com.apple.Boot.plist file it will be added to the root of the initrd image.

I followed the same coding conventions that ~Galaxy used and the new lines are commented - added by BladeRunner. I have built a boot CD using it and all works as it should.

I am attaching the script - please give it to ~Galaxy. He may distribute it - or not -as he wishes.

mySlimbuild.zip

The Boot.plist needs to contain a kernel flag to select the kernel e.g., rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo and a boot-uuid= clause to identify the install dvd. Then there is no typing other than the ESC and press enter when the install dvd is ready.

The Boot.plist needs to contain a kernel flag to select the kernel e.g., rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo and a boot-uuid= clause to identify the install dvd. Then there is no typing other than the ESC and press enter when the install dvd is ready.

BladeRunner, i will test your script but im not sure i got the above correctly, could you post an example?

Do you mean i should change:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

to:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel.voodoo</string>

or just telling which kernel to boot?

btw... i made an efi string for both graphics and my alc883... does anyone know if i only have to add HDAEnabler to get it to work?

BladeRunner, i will test your script but im not sure i got the above correctly, could you post an example?

Do you mean i should change:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

to:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel.voodoo</string>

or just telling which kernel to boot?

btw... i made an efi string for both graphics and my alc883... does anyone know if i only have to add HDAEnabler to get it to work?

Here is the Boot.plist I used to build the boot-132 cd that I tested. It should clear up any questions. As for the kernel name, it is whatever the kernel you placd in the kernel directory was called.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>"1280x1024x24"</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo_b1</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>-v boot-uuid=C71B1D31-CD17-36E5-A60E-B4555F0708F8</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>7</string>
	<key>device-properties</key>

and this is the way the slimbuild directory looks now

drwxr-xr-x@ 7 lrh   staff   238 Oct  9 16:09 Contents
drwxr-xr-x@ 9 lrh   staff   306 Oct  9 10:16 Extensions
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 lrh   staff   136 Oct  9 16:09 ISO
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 lrh   staff   136 Oct  9 10:28 Kernel
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  staff   102 Oct  9 16:09 Plist
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  staff  8282 Oct  9 13:14 mySlimbuild.sh

Hope this answers the questions.

-- BladeRunner

Wow, nice! I'll have to add the Plist mod to my GUI :blink:. Haven't done too too much of it, main interface is done but I can "borrow" most of the code from my other projects to complete this one quickly :D. Hope to have it done in the weekend.