AppleVIAATA over 4gb RAM bug solved (at least i believe so)! JMicron and AppleNForceATA at development

• Please log in to reply
569 replies to this topic

slashack

slashack

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

I tried the latest version (1.06) from the JMicron web site as indicated by adusak, and with my PATA DVD drive (PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-115D), the inserted DVD looks like an external drive. I believe the its plist causes this.

Version 1.0 JMicron driver worked properly in this regard, except causing kernel panics with the memory issue.

Then I tried the latest slashack version (0.5) with 64 bit addressing, and it displays DVD the same way. [did not test for the memory issue]

The memory issue is the one i solved. I'll try and solve the other issue. If u could test if kext work it would be great. (run rember to test all memory and try and open files from IDE disks)

Unfortunately, this is not just a display issue, it confuses the finder as to whether it can burn blank disks. Ejection is also goofed up.

Slashack, if your recompile is based on the latest version 1.06 from JMicron's web site, you would have inadvertently carried these issues over. Based on my limited understanding, you may need to revisit the plist based on the original 1.0 version, instead of the 1.06 version, or at least use the version 1.0 as a base.

Can you attach a plist from v1.0?

Thanks for all of your help. Really appreciated.

STLVNUB

STLVNUB

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,124 posts
Been using this for two days now, running from 8gig mbr ide at the moment.

Yesterday i was burning a dvd, playing music and surfing the web.
Activity monitor memory went down to 12 meg free.I have 4gig.
One thing I did notice with THIS driver is the allocated memory
didn't appear to come back to the free pool or it took its time.

Previously did same thing with driver from JMicron site.
That got down to 700 meg free then lockup.Music sounded like broken record.

Looks like I get to use JMicron after all. MBR testing for my little project.

Good job.

bikinifarm

bikinifarm

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

The memory issue is the one i solved. I'll try and solve the other issue. If u could test if kext work it would be great. (run rember to test all memory and try and open files from IDE disks)

Can you attach a plist from v1.0?

I am attaching the plist as well as a few screen shots as to how the DVD looks on the desktop. Many thanks slashack!

The original JMicron v1.0:

Attached File  Original_JMicron_1.0.png   28.08KB   25 downloads

The JMicron 1.06 from their web site:

Attached File  JMicron_1.06.png   22.06KB   34 downloads

The 64 bit corrected version by slashack:

Attached File  New_64_Bit_Driver.png   21.12KB   52 downloads

and the plist from the JMicron version 1.0:

Attached File  Info.plist.zip   775bytes   60 downloads

rfuilrez

rfuilrez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

One thing I did notice with THIS driver is the allocated memory
didn't appear to come back to the free pool or it took its time.

That's actually how OS X manages memory. Even without this kext it will do it the same way. It keeps the memory allocated, but flags it as inactive. So if you use the program again, it already has the data loaded. And then if you need memory for another program, it will free up what's needed, and allocate it for that app instead.

Volcacius

Volcacius

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 461 posts
Tested modified AppleNForceATA.kext and it works perfectly!! it's incredible, no more KP in situations that used to give me panics.

Zulu.Walker

Zulu.Walker

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Film/TV Post-Production<br />Independent Films<br />Music<br />Literatur...
Altered JMicron (0.5) works well with JMB363 controller set as IDE under BIOS - 2 SATA and 2 IDE detected, IDE has one DVD writer that has burned a few discs with no problems so far - all while running Highload memory stresstest on 4, 6, and 8GB memory configurations. Speeds are the same as the 32-bit version, but without the bugs. I'm guessing this kext (and all that are based around it) will still work under Snow Leopard - making a lot of JMicronATA/AppleVIAATA.kext dependent mobos future-proof.

You're a godsend slashack. People have been complaining about this issue and none have made any moves to fix it - you've done it all in one fell swoop. Your AppleVIAATA is also working on another system on my mini-render "farm" for a 2-port Silicon Image 3112A that's been flashed under windows with the BASE SATALink firmware straight from SiI.

Thank you. Really. It's about time someone had the brains to address this issue.

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,883 posts

Altered JMicron (0.5) works well with JMB363 controller set as IDE under BIOS - 2 SATA and 2 IDE detected, IDE has one DVD writer that has burned a few discs with no problems so far - all while running Highload memory stresstest on 4, 6, and 8GB memory configurations.
Thank you. Really. It's about time someone had the brains to address this issue.

Can you tell me which DL-LINK this Altered JMicron (0.5) has ?

slashack

slashack

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

I am attaching the plist as well as a few screen shots as to how the DVD looks on the desktop. Many thanks slashack!

The original JMicron v1.0:

Attached File  Original_JMicron_1.0.png   28.08KB   25 downloads

The JMicron 1.06 from their web site:

Attached File  JMicron_1.06.png   22.06KB   34 downloads

The 64 bit corrected version by slashack:

Attached File  New_64_Bit_Driver.png   21.12KB   52 downloads

and the plist from the JMicron version 1.0:

Attached File  Info.plist.zip   775bytes   60 downloads

There are basically 2 differences between plists:
1)
slashack:
Under IOKitPersonalities -> JMicronATA Driver:
			<key>IOMediaIcon</key>
			<dict>
				<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
				<string>com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily</string>
				<key>IOBundleResourceFile</key>
				<string>External.icns</string>
			</dict>
I believe this is the icon issue. In 1.0 plist this isn't there.

2)
Under IOKitPersonalities -> JMicronATA PCI:
slashack:
			<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
			<string>0x2361197b 0x2363197b 0x2365197b 0x2366197b 0x2368197b</string>
1.0:
			<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
			<string>0x01010000&0xffff0000</string>
			<string>0x2368197b 0x2360197b&0xfff0ffff</string>

To solve the icon issue, you might remove the code from Info.plist, and i think that will solve it. (remove everything i quoted in difference n1).
I don't think that changing the code in difference n2 from original 1.0 plist might solve the other issues you are having trouble with. This keys indicates the OS when to load this driver.

Can you tell me which DL-LINK this Altered JMicron (0.5) has ?

In first post (i've updated the links) or in Darwin ATA googlecode project

bikinifarm

bikinifarm

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

There are basically 2 differences between plists:
1)
slashack:
Under IOKitPersonalities -> JMicronATA Driver:

<key>IOMediaIcon</key>
			<dict>
				<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
				<string>com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily</string>
				<key>IOBundleResourceFile</key>
				<string>External.icns</string>
			</dict>
I believe this is the icon issue. In 1.0 plist this isn't there.

2)
Under IOKitPersonalities -> JMicronATA PCI:
slashack:
			<string>0x2361197b 0x2363197b 0x2365197b 0x2366197b 0x2368197b</string>
1.0:
			<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
			<string>0x01010000&0xffff0000</string>
			<string>0x2368197b 0x2360197b&0xfff0ffff</string>

To solve the icon issue, you might remove the code from Info.plist, and i think that will solve it. (remove everything i quoted in difference n1).
I don't think that changing the code in difference n2 from original 1.0 plist might solve the other issues you are having trouble with. This keys indicates the OS when to load this driver.
In first post (i've updated the links) or in Darwin ATA googlecode project

Slashack;

I followed your advise, and removed the entire IOMediaIcon key (per note #1) from the plist. I made no other changes. The DVD and CD disks are now recognized and displayed as such. I also tested burning a CD, which completed with success.

I noticed that blank DVDs are taking a long time to show up, (1-2 minutes), but it may very well be normal. This was one of the odd behaviors that I had noticed before. I also did testing with rember, and DVD read test you had recommended in your previous post, and I am happy to report that there are NO kernel panics. So, it looks like everything is just fine. You may want to update the plist so that the driver is usable with DVD burners.

MANY MANY Thanks for your help in putting this JMicron issue to bed at last. Well done...

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,883 posts
Thanks posting the google JM 0.5 link again!
I will try it with my 4 GB GA-EP35-DS3 (using IDE>SATA converter to avoid JM > 3 GB crashes )

rfuilrez

rfuilrez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Thanks posting the google JM 0.5 link again!
I will try it with my 4 GB GA-EP35-DS3 (using IDE>SATA converter to avoid JM > 3 GB crashes )

Then really, what's the point? The whole purpose of the modified kext, is to allow IDE controllers to work with > 3 GB of RAM. I can testify that it will work on your board. I'm using the GA-EP35C-DS3R board with 4GB of RAM flawlessly now for over a week. Current uptime is over 3 days, and I've allocated the majority of 4GB on multiple occasions while using an IDE hard drive.

slashack

slashack

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Slashack;

I followed your advise, and removed the entire IOMediaIcon key (per note #1) from the plist. I made no other changes. The DVD and CD disks are now recognized and displayed as such. I also tested burning a CD, which completed with success.

I noticed that blank DVDs are taking a long time to show up, (1-2 minutes), but it may very well be normal. This was one of the odd behaviors that I had noticed before. I also did testing with rember, and DVD read test you had recommended in your previous post, and I am happy to report that there are NO kernel panics. So, it looks like everything is just fine. You may want to update the plist so that the driver is usable with DVD burners.

MANY MANY Thanks for your help in putting this JMicron issue to bed at last. Well done...

Uploaded v0.6 with modified plist to solve this issue.

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,883 posts

Uploaded v0.6 with modified plist to solve this issue.

Should be put on ever next OSX86DVDs.
Thanks, because a lot of people using 4 GB and IDE (at least one device is often IDE).

Himlaklar

Himlaklar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
This JMicron fix seem to work well for Asus P5K premium users aswell, i had constant kernel panics when using the computer for a while. Specifically when using the IDE drive. So Slashack seem to be correct about the jmicron beeing a problem and not only the chip!

EDIT: FIX DIDNT WORK, it just delayed the kernel panic with 2 hours instead of 30 minutes.

Zulu.Walker

Zulu.Walker

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Film/TV Post-Production<br />Independent Films<br />Music<br />Literatur...
One of my boxes (6GB RAM) has 5 days worth of uptime already using slashack's AppleVIAATA and JMicron kexts since v0.5 - you might want to check your memory if that's the culprit. IDE access on that machine has been constant, so there's something flakey on your side...

icedtrip

icedtrip

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Trying out the AppleNForceATA kext with my board and 4GB RAM. See sig. So far no freezes/KP where I use to get them regularly. Thanks!

Will continue to test and report anything I get.

rfuilrez

rfuilrez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

One of my boxes (6GB RAM) has 5 days worth of uptime already using slashack's AppleVIAATA and JMicron kexts since v0.5 - you might want to check your memory if that's the culprit. IDE access on that machine has been constant, so there's something flakey on your side...

I just got done with a 6 day up time on my box using the v0.5 JMicron kext. Rebooted to do some work on a windows install.

So yes. Something must be wrong on your end. Run memtest overnight and see what it has to say.

alexandros7

alexandros7

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
I have gigabyte p35ds3.. with kext from this forum I cannot boot anymore (still waiting for root device..) so I come back to previous kext.
to solve the 4gb problem I put my hdd on the yellow sata (not the jmicron) and it's all ok now! Do you think jmicron have more performance than this one?
thanks

kaleph

kaleph

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Thank you thank you thank you thank you :D
Running on a gigabyte 965p-ds3 rev1.0 and so far no more kernel panics. :censored2:

Dxn

Dxn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
Brilliant! You have managed to solve the last source of freezes and kernel panics for me!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I can finally cast off the chains of Windows :angel:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy