[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

Mine freezes at the Apple Logo screen also.

Here is error with -v:

-- snip image --

With -v -f: it freezes at the mDNSresponder line this is a few up from bottom.

It works fine with my USB or CD Boot-132.

Could it be a problem with the Stage-2 as noted in the post here:

GPTEFIboot Thread

Its the very last line of first post.

I am using 10.5.5 also.

I have 2 drives which were installed from the retail dvd - one internal ata and the other external usb. Both are getting the same result as you are seeing here.

Lucky for me, I also have a third partition which can still be booted from the boot-132 iso.

Update:

I have a copy of leopard 10.5.0 on a small 8GB partition on my second HD. I can use this boot method to boot that partition just fine. Further more, the alternate kexts are being loaded since I have PS2 support. My primary partition has 10.5.5, so something is definately broken here.

I'm pretty sure you need the correct version of System.kext in the /System/Booter/Extensions folder on the EFI partition. Give it a try.

What kind of hardware are you using? Core cpu or pre-Core? Which kernel?

bladerunner can u try this also please? if u are using a 9.4.0 kernel (10.5.4) then please use the 9.4.0 / 10.5.4 System.kext in your /System/Booter/Extensions folder on the EFI partition.

to mount:

sudo -s

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

to unmount once finished:

sudo -s

umount -f /Volumes/EFI

rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

please also make sure u copy the kexts as root (sudo -s). otherwise permissions errors may be a problem.

I do not think I have the system.kext. I will try when I get home. I used all the kexts from my initrd.img off my boot CD.

I can still boot with the boot-132 no problem.

I am using a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4. With a Q9550 CPU.

ok, successful install from the retail dvd, updated to 10.5.5 via software update without problem

something weird, Efi strings don´t work

Q6700@2,66 ghz

4gb RAM

GA-P35-DS4

Nvidia 7600gt / 8800gt

Vanilla kernel

at boot detect the correct fsb:cpu

1307Imagen%201.png

90976Imagen%202.png

98820Imagen%203.png

yay! first success story.

yes, EFI strings will NOT work, as the stage2 booter is NOT Chameleon, but a fork of dfe's bootloader. means you have to go back to injectors or whatever, or wait for the next Chameleon... :)

yay! first success story.

yes, EFI strings will NOT work, as the stage2 booter is NOT Chameleon, but a fork of dfe's bootloader. means you have to go back to injectors or whatever, or wait for the next Chameleon... :)

Teh EFI strings may be what is causing the hang on my systems. I have been using them in place of the nvinject kect. I am working on changing that not. Results later :)

With Efi strings the system hangs before the GUI, with Nvkush & Nvinject i only have resolutions, with Natit full QE/CI (10.5.5).

BTW is there any big difference between EFI strings and injectors ?

i have better results in OpenGL Extensions Viewer tests with natit than nvinject , nvkush or efistrings

Who is the Munky......You da Munky!

I works, it works, it works!!!!!!!

I had finally gotten my Asus P5Q to work Retail using 132cd, and was looking at using a usb....... then I found this thread.

It worked 100% first time. Installed on one of my external drives and it booted up with no issues.

Cool I can now get some sleep.......no wait.......the laptop is yet to be retail......stumped on that one........so far......the talk about system.kext has given me an idea

Thanks........and I'll keep you posted on the progress

Kenny

heh nice one mate.

please can u post the list of kexts in your /System/Booter/Extensions directory? did u use System.kext?

BigKahuna : please try with a *minimal* set of kexts - ie dsmos, disabler, smbiosenabler.

Hi Munky,

I only have Vista installed on my "Zepto"-laptop. I've tried your iso and boot with it, than I replaced the "Retail" into CD-ROM and after "press any key.....", I hit F8 and I've got the options to write a command. So far, so good. I really don't know how to determinate "X" and "Y", or uuid. Is there any way to do that in Vista. Thanks in advance.

Hi Munky,

I only have Vista installed on my "Zepto"-laptop. I've tried your iso and boot with it, than I replaced the "Retail" into CD-ROM and after "press any key.....", I hit F8 and I've got the options to write a command. So far, so good. I really don't know how to determinate "X" and "Y", or uuid. Is there any way to do that in Vista. Thanks in advance.

For your "X" and "Y" you should be able to do a "-s" boot from DVD and do "diskutil list disk0s1" and it will give you your partitions. It being a laptop I guess you only have one disk, so we know "X"="0". If more than one disk (external?) it may be "diskutil list disk1s1"......just be sure you find the right one.

Also, this must be done on a disk partitioned "guid" not "mbr"......if only Vista, you may be using mbr.

Hope it helps.

Munky,

Will post full list of kext later today

Kenny

Hello,

I did try your method on a EP35-DS4 but I had no luck.

Is there a way to restore chameleon bootloader, as I used that before? I can still boot with 132 so nothing is lost, really.

Thank you for the effort. Later I'll be making backups so that I can reinstall and retry your method. Maybe I did something wrong.

Hello,

Is there a way to restore chameleon bootloader, as I used that before? I can still boot with 132 so nothing is lost, really.

Thank you for the effort. Later I'll be making backups so that I can reinstall and retry your method. Maybe I did something wrong.

What types of errors are you getting? I'm asking since we have similar hardware.

Hello,

Chameleon bootloader. There is a version found here that will install it on your hard drive.