[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

<snip>

What do you mean the disk won't boot on it's own? What error are you getting?

The disk attempts to boot. I get the rotating thingie for a minute and then the screen does a downward wipe to dark grey and I get a message in a square box in the middle that I have to reboot. The message is in about 4 languages. It does not do the circle with the line through it. I can go through it when I get home tonight and get the exact text if that would help.

I've also had this trouble with other boot-132 install methods I've tried from the board here. I can install and, if I feel like using the CD to boot, I can run things just fine. The hard-disk just won't boot on it's own though. Come to think of it, I've had this trouble since trying to install on a GUID partition. I had a running Leo4all install (on MBR) a while ago but it had some stability problems which is why I started over in the first place...

The disk is a Samsung SP250C. I get the same error whether I use an ICH8 sata port or the JMicron sata port.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

first things first, boot with -v.

the 'multiple languages' screen is called a Kernel Panic. basically Some Bad {censored} Went Down. however, we've no way of knowing what specifically failed unless you boot with -v (verbose) mode.

please do so and post the last few messages which are posted before the panic.

as for release date of the automated solution.... no news. it'll be ready when its ready, and not a moment before.

the instructions i've posted are fairly explicit - anyone should be able to follow them fairly easily, with perhaps the odd Q&A. give it a shot and post any problems you have.

tried your guide & boots fine my retail leopard 10.5.4 install.

my concern is, gpt doesn't seem to recognize/display at boot the ntfs partition where vista is installed. it doesn't seem to recognize/display also at boot the fat32 partition. this means can't do multi-booting in just 1 hdd. is there a way around this like the refit way? :)

if there's none, is there a way to automatically boot from the retail leopard install w/out "touching" the boot.plist?

tnx munky.

first things first, boot with -v.

the 'multiple languages' screen is called a Kernel Panic. basically Some Bad {censored} Went Down. however, we've no way of knowing what specifically failed unless you boot with -v (verbose) mode.

please do so and post the last few messages which are posted before the panic.

-v: will do. May have time to try later tonight.

I figured out what the Kernel Panic screen was after some Googling. I'm not new to computers but I'm very new to OSX. There's a lot to learn but I like it!

the instructions i've posted are fairly explicit - anyone should be able to follow them fairly easily, with perhaps the odd Q&A. give it a shot and post any problems you have.

Agreed. The article and the work behind are appreciated! I'll keep trying.

well first of all thanx for the well written guide, I got 10.5.5 up and running, thou one strange thing on my install

I cannot directly update my 10.5.0 retail to 10.5.5, I have to install the 10.5.4 combo und then 10.5.5.

If I try the combo update from 10.5.0 to 10.5.5 the system won't boot.

What is realy annoying I cannot get onboard sound to work, this is the first install in three years where sound is

not working at all, any ideas in that?

Second thing as many of you I have to boot with the "-f" option, is there a solution yet?

what are you guys using in order to get video > 1024x768?

Has anyone figured out sound?

I went from 10.5.0 - 10.5.5 (combo) and had to boot in -x to boot (after multiple retries)

so i'm in a vanilla boot still, but it's just taking a while to get things going.

I went from 10.5.0 - 10.5.5 (combo) and had to boot in -x to boot (after multiple retries)

so i'm in a vanilla boot still, but it's just taking a while to get things going.

hopefully stickpin could come up w/ a guide soon. he'd been working w/ applehda extracted from snow leo so that it can be injected in leo via boot-132.

atm, it's the only modified kext in my /s/l/extensions.

would anyone know how an ntfs & fat(32) partition be recognized/displayed on boot using the gpt scheme?

I use the natit.kext which is an injector. I am useing an Nvidid GeForce FX 5500 graphice card.

GeForce FX 5500:

Chipset Model:	GeForce FX 5500
 Type:	Display
 Bus:	PCI
 VRAM (Total):	256 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x0326
 Revision ID:	0x00a1
 Displays:
IBM G96:
 Resolution:	1600 x 1200 @ 75 Hz
 Depth:	32-bit Color
 Core Image:	Hardware Accelerated
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Supported
Display Connector:

As you can see, my resolution is a bit greater than 1024x768. Give natit a try. I use it in the boot-132 iso I provided as do others.

TheKing has posted a guide to patching AppleHDA for use in boot-132 environments. For some reason it only works if u turn ur extra kexts into a kextcache. Check it out.

Re multi booting, yes this is a known issue and is on the list to fix. My only OS is Leopard ;-)

Early days for this approach. One piece of good news - I invited Antst (the dev behind the other EFI boot implementation to come along to meet the Chameleon and Voodoo guys (who developed the bootloader I released here) and were combining our efforts under the Chameleon banner, led by Antst.

Yay collaboration!

hello munky

first : thanks for this topic ;) I tried and worked in first time . great job ( I installed it on my p35DS4 )

I followed your thread using boot cd made by elastic.

then i put dsmos.kext, intelCPUPMDisabler.kext, appleSMBIOSEFI.kext, AppleACPIPlateform.kext, AppleHDA.kext,IOAHCIFamily.kext in Volumes/EFI/Extensions.

Updated via update software to 10.5.5 and reboot without problem.

BTW, I don't understand why some kext ( dsmos, AppleSMBIOSEFI, and IntelCPUPMDisabler ) loaded successfully and the other ones ( AppleHDA, AppleACPIPlateform, IOAHCIFamily) doesn't.

I had to install them with "old fashion" ! ie using kexthelper.

Do you know why ( for the sound , sonotone told in his answer that it was a known issue and that someone was working on it.

But for the three other one , did you know it ?

Thanks in advance and once again congratulations

Alrighty.

So I finish the install. I'm a little new at this so in phase 4, when it talks about installing extensions, I used osx86tools to autodetect and download my kexts. I then unzipped them and copied them as instructed. This alright?

Now, booted with -v as instructed. Near the end of booting it starts to get these messages:

Package 0 didn't get an HPET (this begins to repeat amongst the other boot messages)

The panic message is:

panic(CPU 0 caller 0x2E1FBB9C): "No HPETs available...CPU(s) configured incorrectly\n"@/SourceCache/ (my picture cuts off here so I don't get the full path, it wraps back though)

/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement-39/pmThread.c:100

Debugger called: <panic>

so, something is very wrong here eh? My power mode in BIOS is S3.

Any suggestions appreciated...

TheKing has posted a guide to patching AppleHDA for use in boot-132 environments. For some reason it only works if u turn ur extra kexts into a kextcache. Check it out.

Re multi booting, yes this is a known issue and is on the list to fix. My only OS is Leopard ;-)

Early days for this approach. One piece of good news - I invited Antst (the dev behind the other EFI boot implementation to come along to meet the Chameleon and Voodoo guys (who developed the bootloader I released here) and were combining our efforts under the Chameleon banner, led by Antst.

Yay collaboration!

alright! something to look forward to. hope it's not too much to add in the dev't a gui for the bootloader. :)

hello munky

first : thanks for this topic :) I tried and worked in first time . great job ( I installed it on my p35DS4 )

I followed your thread using boot cd made by elastic.

then i put dsmos.kext, intelCPUPMDisabler.kext, appleSMBIOSEFI.kext, AppleACPIPlateform.kext, AppleHDA.kext,IOAHCIFamily.kext in Volumes/EFI/Extensions.

Updated via update software to 10.5.5 and reboot without problem.

BTW, I don't understand why some kext ( dsmos, AppleSMBIOSEFI, and IntelCPUPMDisabler ) loaded successfully and the other ones ( AppleHDA, AppleACPIPlateform, IOAHCIFamily) doesn't.

I had to install them with "old fashion" ! ie using kexthelper.

Do you know why ( for the sound , sonotone told in his answer that it was a known issue and that someone was working on it.

But for the three other one , did you know it ?

Thanks in advance and once again congratulations

so far, applehda can't be loaded yet off boot-132-chameleon. for appleacpiplatform & ioahcifamily, they should be loaded. kindly double-check that "osbundlerequired" string is "root".

good luck.

Hi Guys....

Love your work!

Today I made a boot 132 disc, installed off my retail leo DVD, patched in nvinject, and did this EFI install - worked like a charm!

At first I had a problem with this EFI boot - OSX would hang on they grey apple screen with the little circle under it....I patched in the kexts from my working initrd.img file off the boot 132 image - and voila!

Good guide - considering I had never opened terminal before today, XP diehard here :( , it is a testiment to your hard work on this and other threads that I could have my Leo install self booting off my ext HDD in just a few hours!

Thanks again - you rock - HARD!

Sam

XBX2, Q6600, 4gb Corsair XMS2

well first of all thanx for the well written guide, I got 10.5.5 up and running, thou one strange thing on my install

I cannot directly update my 10.5.0 retail to 10.5.5, I have to install the 10.5.4 combo und then 10.5.5.

If I try the combo update from 10.5.0 to 10.5.5 the system won't boot.

What is realy annoying I cannot get onboard sound to work, this is the first install in three years where sound is

not working at all, any ideas in that?

Second thing as many of you I have to boot with the "-f" option, is there a solution yet?

hi odie

Also can't update straight from 5.0 to 5.5......now dloading the 5.4 update. But as i'm reading at apple the system requirements for the update 5.5 is 5.1 ......sys req for the 5.4 update is 5.0............so that must be the case!

About sound: I installed an "e-mu tracker pre"....its my usb guitar amp....using the driver that came with it.

This can also be my default sound device for the os.

I use this device also on an iBook (same driver)....and the os on the ibook switches between the onboard device and usb automatically.

So try to install a driver on the hd.....

I enabled my nvidia with titan(from iAtkos dvd) on the hd ....os installed with retail sl.....like an apple driver.

Moes

hey, munky! I made it! :)

I installed retail 10.5.4 and upgraded to 10.5.5 without problems.

Now I have a question: is there a way to modify com.apple.boot.plist or other files in order not to type bs(0,0)... every time we have to boot our OS?

you said you added boot-uuid=.... to the com.apple..... you did it to the kernel flags, right?

What else can we add and WHERE in order to get rid of the dialogue every time we reboot?

(did you modify the REAL com.apple.boot.plist or you created a new one for the efi folder?)

Thank you! ;)

alright! something to look forward to. hope it's not too much to add in the dev't a gui for the bootloader. :idea:

so far, applehda can't be loaded yet off boot-132-chameleon. for appleacpiplatform & ioahcifamily, they should be loaded. kindly double-check that "osbundlerequired" string is "root".

good luck.

I just checked and it's root .

BTW thanks for the reply :D

hi odie

Also can't update straight from 5.0 to 5.5......now dloading the 5.4 update. But as i'm reading at apple the system requirements for the update 5.5 is 5.1 ......sys req for the 5.4 update is 5.0............so that must be the case!

About sound: I installed an "e-mu tracker pre"....its my usb guitar amp....using the driver that came with it.

This can also be my default sound device for the os.

I use this device also on an iBook (same driver)....and the os on the ibook switches between the onboard device and usb automatically.

So try to install a driver on the hd.....

I enabled my nvidia with titan(from iAtkos dvd) on the hd ....os installed with retail sl.....like an apple driver.

Moes

UPDATE: updatet to 10.5.5!!!!

- first installed 10.5 retail....enabled nvidia by installing Titan on the hd (from the iAtkos 10.5.4 dvd)....then did activate my usb sound device by installing the driver.

- then updated to 10.5.4 by dloading the comboupdate from apple.... ;)

- using two kernels .....each working different in a way in this stage

-toh (netkas):working system profiler,proper wake/sleep/shutdown no usb hd/stick, no cd/dvd icon on desktop and no working disk utility

-mach_kernel:working diskutility, working usb hd/stick, no system profiler

- did use the software update app. to go o 10.5.5 but that didn't reboot after install !!!!!!

- dloaded 10.5.5 comboupdate....installed

- and rebooted!!!

Now with mach_kernel: no usb, no disk utility (and while booting shuts down the screen for 30 sec.)

With toh (netkas): the system profiler doesn't function proper (no hardware info!)....boots faster then toh.

The installed drivers in stage (10.5 installed) still work.

Now looking for proper kernel or fix to optimize the system.

munky, sorry to insist, but I have to understand this thing: do you HAVE to type bs(0,0)........ EVERY time you start or reboot your OS? Even after doing all that stuff with the EFI partition? Can't you solve this with a modification of com.apple.boot.plist?

Please let me know. In this case, I would do the same as 3dMan and remake efi partition as it was before. So I would have WinXP available and I would not bother with typing every time that line.

You see, the problem is that my wife uses the computer as well and she wouldn't know what to type, cuz she's not meant for codes!!! :)

Thank you.

yes, just put whatever you type into boot.plist, eg:

bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo boot-uuid=BLAH-BLAH-BLAH

Thanks. Do I write everything in the same line or I split it between Kernel and kernel flags?

Should I do like this?

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>bt(0,0)/mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-f -v rd=disk2s2</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>

I often (VERY often) get a kernel panic.

The error message says

devfs_kernel_mount: failed to find directory '/dev', 2panic(cpu 0 caller 0x0036FE74): "Process 1 exec of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 2\SounceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.5.20/bsd/kern/kern_exec.c:2885

Does anybody have an idea of what it means?????? I am using SATA HDDs, but I have the correct kext for my chipset (AppleIntelPIIXATA, for ICH6).....

WHY?!?!?!?!???????? ;)

Munky, thanks for putting up with me. LOL

Here's what we've discovered. When you're looking to load kexts, Make Certain that the OSBundleRequired in the Info.plist is showing as Root.

This was preventing Natit to load on my machine, after fixing that, I'm running like a champ!

Now onto Audio... lol

Success!! Thank you Munky for all your efforts!

Currently I only have AppleHDA, HDAEnabler and NVKush kexts in the original Leopard Extensions folder. I know the AppleHDA kexts don't work however I would like to know if anyone got NVKush.kext to work from the EFI partition's Extensions folder. Specifically, what modifications did you make to the Info.plist file as I tried both "Root" and "Console" as values for the "OSBundleRequired" key but it does not load not even in the original Leopard Extensions folder. I have to remove it to work. Maybe the same problem as AppleHDA.

I'll give the Extensions.mkext method a try tomorrow.

Have a nice day/evening everyone! :)

Chagani