[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

Chameleon bootloader. There is a version found here that will install it on your hard drive.

Ah well, I did a backup and reinstalled Retail with boot-132 & chameleon. Just reinstalling chameleon gave me a "still waiting for root device" error. Also I thought I should reformat the "EFI" partition.

I dont have alot of time on my hands right now. I'll have another try next week.

Thanks for your help though.

P.S.: Sorry I didnt record the errors I was getting. Simply because I didnt have the patience.

the rd= for the DVD and the one for the hard disk are not the same.

please boot retail dvd and get the uuid of the partition you're trying to start up, it'll be easier in the long run :)

Hey, munky.

This time it ALMOST worked. I changed the kexts, I used the following ones:

ACPIPS2Nub

AppleAHCIPort

AppleAPIC

AppleIntelPIIXATA (this one should be for my chipset ICH6)

ApplePS2Controller

dsmos

IntelCPUPMDisabler

SMBIOSEnabler

I also used the boot-uuid, as you suggested. :| I got the Leopard DVD screen, I chose the language to start installation and I got a message saying: "Leopard cannot be installed on this computer". There were two options: OK and Restart. I chose OK and nothing happened. So I had to restart.

I think we are getting closer, but why am I getting that message?!?

b612: please post the exact string you enter at the boot prompt. Remember for pre-Core CPUs u need to specify a patched kernel on ur ramdisk and a boot uuid or rd to boot. If you have not done this, please read my boot132 on pre-Core thread which is the first link in my sig.

Bladerunner: sounds to me like you are booting not from the EFI partition but from an existing chameleon on some other partition. Could u possibly disconnect all drives except one test one for Leo, and make sure you completely destroy all partitions on ur test drive before u start.

The reason I suspect you are not booting from efi is that bt(0,0) refers to the boot device, so provided you have the correct kernel name (and it's in the root of efi) it should definitely find it, unless efi is NOT the boot device, which is what I think is going on.

Well, this just proves the idea that you should always get advice from experts. And, those things that come the hardest are the sweetest when they arrive :(

What you said about a residual copy of Chameleon made sense. So, I took my external USB drive and re-partitioned it to be sure it was clean. Previously, I had just used disk utility to erase the existing partition. I used my existing boot-132 iso and retail dvd and installed OS X 10.5.1.

Once that was initialized and running I followed your guide and installed the EFI boot configuration. I mounted the initrd image from my boot cd and copied the extensions and modbin kernel to the efi partition.

When I re-booted the system, using the EFI partition, it came up and ran. As before, I had placed the boot-uuid and other kernel flags in the Boot.plist so the entry at boot was just "bt(0,0/mach_klernel.modbin"

The software updates for 10.5.5 are downloading now. I will report the update results, but I don't expect any problems.

Edit: Well, the software updates to 10.5.5 + iTunes 8 etc... have finished. The system re-boots from the GUID-EFI partition without problem. As far as I can tell everything I had working before is still working.

/edit

Maybe there should be a comment or warning about Chameleon in the guide. I thought using disk utility to erase a partition would take care of that, but obviously not.

Munky many thanks for all the help and great work.

--BladeRunner

Cant anyone do a GUI program for this Like PCwiz

I have been putting the EFI build commands into a very basic shell script so I can avoid typo mistakes as I convert the remainder of my disks. However, for distribution they would need some error check code - ensure the user is root, the disk is guid, and that the commands run error free.

Even if I do that - code I used to write in a previous life - I am not any good with CoCo or other GUI packages in OS X. Still, one step at a time. The scripts don't run just yet.

Maybe there should be a comment or warning about Chameleon in the guide. I thought using disk utility to erase a partition would take care of that, but obviously not.

how does one truly ensure Chameleon is gone?? I think I might have residual, even after unplugging my Vista drive.

repartitioning should do it I think.

Munky: That's the only way I found to do it. Tha problem did not appear to be a cross contamination from another disk - in my case at least. My main hard drive still had some part of Chameleon on it when I got the efi boot to work on the external usb drive.

I have now backed up my files and partitioned the internal drive - 2 partitions for OS X and one for data. The Linux is gone. If I want that back I will get another external drive. I have installed 10.5.1 on disk0s2 and it boots from the efi partition. Software updates are running now.

The shell scripts - which have NO error detection - made the second efi install much easier.

What is team Chameleon building? EFI aware Chameleon or EFI install, or both?

Well, I have finished updating my main system drive to 10.5.5. It boots from the EFI partition. That makes one internal and one on external USB drive.

I have set my Boot.plist to contain the data needed so I don't need to enter anything when the system boots. The entries there duplicate the "bt(0,0)/kernel-name etc... " in Munkys guide.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>"1280x1024x24"</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.modbin</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>-v -f boot-uuid=F1CA3099-372A-396E-814A-64D4C4917CD0</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>7</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Notice the Kernel and "Kernel Flags" values. When the system boots I see a list of partitions on the internal drive, select the one I want and press enter. Thats it.

Is there an easy way to verify what kext files are actually loaded. I successfully did this process with a GA-P35-DS3L motherboard and E7200 CPU. I'm just not sure I have the right kext files or that they are working since I am still having restart and shutdown problems. Is looking at the About this Mac/More Info the way to do it? Thanks for the great work. Almost there.

Booted, up and running.

I either had a bad copy of dsmos, disabler, or smbiosenabler. most likely one of the first two.

getting iTunes and things set up now :):D :D

Tomorrow while at work, I'll get to tinkering with othe kexts. would love to see EFI strings back. :D

Hi Guys! This looks great but I'm beginning to lose my mind here so I'm hoping I'm missing something simple.

Background:

I'm installing on a Gig GA-965P-DS3. The board is Rev 3.3 BIOS F12. For those not familiar with it it's an ICH8 board that also has a JMicron 363 on it. Um... let's see... 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB 800Mhz RAM. SATA DVD-ROM in SATA0, Ubuntu 8.04 in SATA1. I'm trying to install on a 250GB drive.

I have Sabr's GA-965P-DS3 boot-132 iso (here)

I'm trying to install with a retail 10.5.4 dvd.

Problems:

1. I notice when I switch from boot-132 to the retail DVD there are some error messages: "EBIOS...". They look like read errors but the disk continues to boot and when it's installing the consistency check passes. Is the disk borked or are these messages normal? I can go back and get the specific messages if need be - one of the only things I haven't written down at this point. I'll take the retail DVD back for exchange if I have to.

2. Once the install is done it gets another error: The yellow exclamation with "Install Failed" -- "The installer could not make the computer start up from the volume TAZ". OK - so it can't make the disk bootable but we should be able to fix that later right?

3. Using the boot-132 disk I can boot my Leopard install just fine. After registration I immediately get a disk insertion error: "The disk you inserted is not readable on this computer". Everything looks like an external disk and I'm assuming it's complaining about my Ubuntu disk. Is this something else?

4. Munky's instructions - phase 1. The diskutil info / command gives disk info for /dev/disk0s2, where the OS is but does not show /dev/disk0s1. Instead it gives errors:

bash-3.2# diskutil info /
2008-09-23 21:59:49.658 diskutil[276:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
2008-09-23 21:59:49.798 DiskManagementTool[277:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
  Device Identifier:        disk0s2
  Device Node:              /dev/disk0s2
  Part Of Whole:            disk0
  Device / Media Name:      Untitled

Volume Name:              Taz
  Mount Point:              /
  File System:              Journaled HFS+
                            Journal size 24576 KB at offset 0x747000
  Owners:                   Enabled

Partition Type:           Apple_HFS
  Bootable:                 Is bootable
  Media Type:               Generic
  Protocol:                 SATA
  SMART Status:             Verified
  Volume UUID:              3E39451D-D139-3102-AE9E-6374623783AC

Total Size:               232.6 Gi (249714294784  (487723232 512-byte blocks)
  Free Space:               220.0 Gi (236264939520  (461454960 512-byte blocks)

Read Only:                No
  Ejectable:                Yes
  Whole:                    No
  Internal:                 No

I have tried continuing from here and am able to mount the EFI partition and copy just fine. The disk won't boot on it's own though.

I have more questions but I'll stop here for now.

Thanks in advance!

MetroGnome

Hi Guys! This looks great but I'm beginning to lose my mind here so I'm hoping I'm missing something simple.

Background:

I'm installing on a Gig GA-965P-DS3. The board is Rev 3.3 BIOS F12. For those not familiar with it it's an ICH8 board that also has a JMicron 363 on it. Um... let's see... 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB 800Mhz RAM. SATA DVD-ROM in SATA0, Ubuntu 8.04 in SATA1. I'm trying to install on a 250GB drive.

I have Sabr's GA-965P-DS3 boot-132 iso (here)

I'm trying to install with a retail 10.5.4 dvd.

Problems:

1. I notice when I switch from boot-132 to the retail DVD there are some error messages: "EBIOS...". They look like read errors but the disk continues to boot and when it's installing the consistency check passes. Is the disk borked or are these messages normal? I can go back and get the specific messages if need be - one of the only things I haven't written down at this point. I'll take the retail DVD back for exchange if I have to.

2. Once the install is done it gets another error: The yellow exclamation with "Install Failed" -- "The installer could not make the computer start up from the volume TAZ". OK - so it can't make the disk bootable but we should be able to fix that later right?

3. Using the boot-132 disk I can boot my Leopard install just fine. After registration I immediately get a disk insertion error: "The disk you inserted is not readable on this computer". Everything looks like an external disk and I'm assuming it's complaining about my Ubuntu disk. Is this something else?

4. Munky's instructions - phase 1. The diskutil info / command gives disk info for /dev/disk0s2, where the OS is but does not show /dev/disk0s1. Instead it gives errors:

bash-3.2# diskutil info /
2008-09-23 21:59:49.658 diskutil[276:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
2008-09-23 21:59:49.798 DiskManagementTool[277:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
  Device Identifier:        disk0s2
  Device Node:              /dev/disk0s2
  Part Of Whole:            disk0
  Device / Media Name:      Untitled

Volume Name:              Taz
  Mount Point:              /
  File System:              Journaled HFS+
                            Journal size 24576 KB at offset 0x747000
  Owners:                   Enabled

Partition Type:           Apple_HFS
  Bootable:                 Is bootable
  Media Type:               Generic
  Protocol:                 SATA
  SMART Status:             Verified
  Volume UUID:              3E39451D-D139-3102-AE9E-6374623783AC

Total Size:               232.6 Gi (249714294784  (487723232 512-byte blocks)
  Free Space:               220.0 Gi (236264939520  (461454960 512-byte blocks)

Read Only:                No
  Ejectable:                Yes
  Whole:                    No
  Internal:                 No

I have tried continuing from here and am able to mount the EFI partition and copy just fine. The disk won't boot on it's own though.

I have more questions but I'll stop here for now.

Thanks in advance!

MetroGnome

About item 1, I have no idea. However, if it runs and installs I would ignore it for now.

Item 2 is normal. Ignore it.

Item 3 - unable to use linux disks - I have had that to. Search on Google. There are methods and tips to prevent specific drives from being mounted at boot time.

Item 4 - I see that on my system as well. However, everything appears to be running just fime. I plan to ignore it until that changes :)

What do you mean the disk won't boot on it's own? What error are you getting?

just to clarify my earlier post, 'Team Chameleon is on the case' means that an automated solution is in the works and will be available soon.

Now thats what I would like to have!!! Sure a lot of people would want to do it the tinkering way, but I promise I will not stop them :)

Tired of tinkering, will if it's the only way of getting Mac but I sure do prefer the automated way!

Even scripts would be nice...

Running iDeneb 10.5.4 currently and would definitely prefer running a Retail and fully updatable version but was not looking forward to all the hacking since I am still noob in the Mac scene.

Cant wait... Munky; any (estimated) time frame on that?

I would really appreciate some help/advice here.

Have an Asus PIV m notebook that I really want to make Mac even if I have to go the Hackintosh route.

The problem:

Has a CD Rom drive (bootable)

Have stuck a DVD in it but then no longer bootable as Bios do not recognize it but OS (Windowz) does recognize it.

No BIOS update available.

Not USB bootable except for usb FDD (do not have one)

Any way I can stick the Hdd into a usb chassis and copy something onto it, then sticking it back into the notebook and installing from the hdd?

I would really appreciate some help....