297 replies to this topic

stelriah

stelriah

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

http://broadcom.rapla.net/
A list of adapters using broadcom chips.

anyone happen to know which one of these is the least expensive?

m4ff3w

m4ff3w

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

anyone happen to know which one of these is the least expensive?

Do you want USB, mini-PCI, PCMCIA?

Deuce

Deuce

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, this is very strange. I have the airport2 extension loaded and working, but like a lot of folks it doesn't detect the card right away. So, I tried removing the /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb and rebooting. You have to go through the setup process again, but it detects that you have a wireless card and lets you specify a network. After the setup finishes and getting to the desktop, iStumbler 'kicks' the network and everything works.

However, when I reboot, the network configuration seems to go away and iStumbler fails to 'kick' the network. Using the airport command line tool to associate fails and turns off the wifi light.

Does anyone know why the network config gets trashed when rebooting?

Thanks!
-Deuce

cyrana

cyrana

Prophetess of Doom

• Retired
  • 1,462 posts
Are you in 10.4.1? I'm pondering editing this topic title to say 10.4.1 and starting a 10.4.3 one to make it more obvious.

Deuce

Deuce

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It's 10.4.1.

antrunix

antrunix

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
http://www.win2osx.n...13908#post13908

holden caulfield

holden caulfield

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
running 10.4.1 -
getting:

kld(): warning /system/library/extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAirPort2 cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7 architecture i386) of objects files previously loaded (file not loaded)
kextload: kld_lookup("_kmod_info") failed for module /system/library/extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAirPort2
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /system/library/extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext
load failed for extension /system/library/extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext
(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

Can anyone help me out?

BTW- running Dell 8600 -
Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller
Dell Wireless WLAN 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI Card

Anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: Well, I really have no idea. I followed the instructions for the foo.c file - never successfully linked or loaded the driver. I spent some time on my XP boot looking for information on the possibilities of putting my device/vendor ID in the info.plist..... then I went to campus to study for some exams- booted into OS X - and in the top corner was the airport icon. I'm typing wirelessly now under my WEP network. I can't tell you what I did to make it work or why it suddenly started working - but thank you to all who have posted on this forum!

Edited by holden caulfield, 14 December 2005 - 08:00 PM.

kernalzero

kernalzero

aesculapius

• Donators
  • 569 posts
got this working first try using the instructions at the very beginning of this topic.

Dell D600
Intel Pentium M 1.4Ghz
512MB DDR
Radeon 9000 32MB
TrueMobile 1400 Wireless Card

SlapShot

SlapShot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
nevermind

connorwes

connorwes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Working!!! got a precompiled appleairport2.kext from a forum about a Dell 600M running wireless successfully... look for it

after loading the file into the extensions cache i rebooted, saw airport in my menu bar, but no wireless networks...
I eventually read through some posts and saw something mentioned about Fn+f2... pressed that key combo and everything works fine!

Thanks everyone!

I am running a dell inspiron 8600 with Dell TrueMobile 1300 MiniPCI card, working sound, usb, firewire, and recognized (though not accelerated) nVidia 5200fx Go.

stelriah

stelriah

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Working!!! got a precompiled appleairport2.kext from a forum about a Dell 600M running wireless successfully... look for it

after loading the file into the extensions cache i rebooted, saw airport in my menu bar, but no wireless networks...
I eventually read through some posts and saw something mentioned about Fn+f2... pressed that key combo and everything works fine!

Thanks everyone!

I am running a dell inspiron 8600 with Dell TrueMobile 1300 MiniPCI card, working sound, usb, firewire, and recognized (though not accelerated) nVidia 5200fx Go.

what is Fn?

Pedro Barroso

Pedro Barroso

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I would like to add some info for those of you wanting to use your wireless cards with OSX. Some people have had success with other chipsets, but my laptop uses the same Broadcom chipset as the Apple Airport cards, which made things very simple. Download the kext below

Extract the kext to \system\library\extensions (go ahead and overright the existing one). Then run Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities) and repair the permissions on your drive.

Then run the following in Terminal:

Code:
sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext

Reboot, and voila! It may take some playing around with the Airport setup, but nothing too difficult. If you need any other help with this, check out the following link:

Attached Files

Romano2K

Romano2K

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

what is Fn?

A key on many laptops keyboards which is used to change functions (activate WiFi, change screen brightness, etc).

Romano2K

Romano2K

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I'm trying the Pedro Barosso solution but I don't manage to move his AppleAirPort2.kext into the /System/Library/Extensions/. I tried using sudo but I'm always getting :

mv: rename AppleAirPort2.kext.new to AppleAirPort2.kext: Permission denied
Any idea ?

jfeger

jfeger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I would like to add some info for those of you wanting to use your wireless cards with OSX. Some people have had success with other chipsets, but my laptop uses the same Broadcom chipset as the Apple Airport cards, which made things very simple. Download the kext below

Extract the kext to \system\library\extensions (go ahead and overright the existing one). Then run Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities) and repair the permissions on your drive.

Then run the following in Terminal:
Code:
sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext
Reboot, and voila! It may take some playing around with the Airport setup, but nothing too difficult. If you need any other help with this, check out the following link:

So, was this setup for 10.4.5? I have tried it on the 10.4.5 release with the 10.4.3 IONetworking and I get the following error when I try to kextload:

10AirPortPCI is not compatible with its superclass, 20IOEthernetController superclass changed?
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext
load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

Romano2K

Romano2K

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Same thing here (managed to copy the file).

ups

ups

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

10AirPortPCI is not compatible with its superclass, 20IOEthernetController superclass changed?
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext
load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

Got exactly the same error with my Motorola WN825G PCMCIA card. Is there any ways to fix it? Card is on Broadcom chipset and must be working in OSX I think.

rockspeter

rockspeter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
opened new thread for 10.4.6 and 10.4.5 so that we can keep this thread 10.4.1!
http://forum.osx86pr...showtopic=18597

Get the same error as well!
I have a Belkin Wireless G Plus Desktop Card (F5D7001) with Broadcom 4306 (at least from what I read in this thread)...and I copied the Airport2.kext from a different thread...and I used the two sudo commands which were supposed to be done once the file was replaced in the extensions folder...restart and still no effect...can someone with the F5D7001 please tell me which Airport2.kext to get and what commands to use.
Thanks a bunch in advance and please answer in the above linked thread!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy