Using Darwin Airport Driver With Osx86 10.4.1

lagnat

298 posts in this topic

I have a dell d810 with a bcm5751 integrated ethernet controller and a true moble 1450 wifi minipci. The airport2 patch works in that it the true moble 1450 seems to be recognized as a built-in ethernet. But neither the command line 'airport' nor iStumbler allows it to scan or associate with my network. Whenever I execute an airport command, the wifi indicator turns off. But it can be turned back on by unloading/reloading the Airport2 extension/driver. Nothing interesting in logs or dmesg.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Deuce

Yeah apparently we need a recompile to get this working. Should we put out a prize for someone to do this for us? 10.4.3 needs wifi!

I, also have a "4320" wireless card and thats the one thing in my AMD system (besides SATA of course) that is not working. Even my PCI 9200 works (w/o quartz and such due to PCI) Boots off of USB and everything, heck I even take it to work every now and then

I have a dell d810 with a bcm5751 integrated ethernet controller and a true moble 1450 wifi minipci. The airport2 patch works in that it the true moble 1450 seems to be recognized as a built-in ethernet. But neither the command line 'airport' nor iStumbler allows it to scan or associate with my network. Whenever I execute an airport command, the wifi indicator turns off. But it can be turned back on by unloading/reloading the Airport2 extension/driver. Nothing interesting in logs or dmesg.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Deuce

Well, apparently I had re-installed, but forgot to apply the Maxxuss patch. It's now working.

Ok, this is very strange. I have the airport2 extension loaded and working, but like a lot of folks it doesn't detect the card right away. So, I tried removing the /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb and rebooting. You have to go through the setup process again, but it detects that you have a wireless card and lets you specify a network. After the setup finishes and getting to the desktop, iStumbler 'kicks' the network and everything works.

However, when I reboot, the network configuration seems to go away and iStumbler fails to 'kick' the network. Using the airport command line tool to associate fails and turns off the wifi light.

Does anyone know why the network config gets trashed when rebooting?

Thanks!

-Deuce

• 2 weeks later...

running 10.4.1 -

getting:

kld(): warning /system/library/extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAirPort2 cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7 architecture i386) of objects files previously loaded (file not loaded)

kextload: kld_lookup("_kmod_info") failed for module /system/library/extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAirPort2

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /system/library/extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

load failed for extension /system/library/extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

Can anyone help me out?

BTW- running Dell 8600 -

Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller

Dell Wireless WLAN 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI Card

Anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: Well, I really have no idea. I followed the instructions for the foo.c file - never successfully linked or loaded the driver. I spent some time on my XP boot looking for information on the possibilities of putting my device/vendor ID in the info.plist..... then I went to campus to study for some exams- booted into OS X - and in the top corner was the airport icon. I'm typing wirelessly now under my WEP network. I can't tell you what I did to make it work or why it suddenly started working - but thank you to all who have posted on this forum!

Edited by holden caulfield

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Working!!! got a precompiled appleairport2.kext from a forum about a Dell 600M running wireless successfully... look for it

after loading the file into the extensions cache i rebooted, saw airport in my menu bar, but no wireless networks...

I eventually read through some posts and saw something mentioned about Fn+f2... pressed that key combo and everything works fine!

Thanks everyone!

I am running a dell inspiron 8600 with Dell TrueMobile 1300 MiniPCI card, working sound, usb, firewire, and recognized (though not accelerated) nVidia 5200fx Go.

Working!!! got a precompiled appleairport2.kext from a forum about a Dell 600M running wireless successfully... look for it

after loading the file into the extensions cache i rebooted, saw airport in my menu bar, but no wireless networks...

I eventually read through some posts and saw something mentioned about Fn+f2... pressed that key combo and everything works fine!

Thanks everyone!

I am running a dell inspiron 8600 with Dell TrueMobile 1300 MiniPCI card, working sound, usb, firewire, and recognized (though not accelerated) nVidia 5200fx Go.

what is Fn?

I would like to add some info for those of you wanting to use your wireless cards with OSX. Some people have had success with other chipsets, but my laptop uses the same Broadcom chipset as the Apple Airport cards, which made things very simple. Download the kext below

Extract the kext to \system\library\extensions (go ahead and overright the existing one). Then run Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities) and repair the permissions on your drive.

Then run the following in Terminal:

Code:

sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext

Reboot, and voila! It may take some playing around with the Airport setup, but nothing too difficult. If you need any other help with this, check out the following link:

AppleAirPort2.kext.zip

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying the Pedro Barosso solution but I don't manage to move his AppleAirPort2.kext into the /System/Library/Extensions/. I tried using sudo but I'm always getting :

mv: rename AppleAirPort2.kext.new to AppleAirPort2.kext: Permission denied

Any idea ?

I would like to add some info for those of you wanting to use your wireless cards with OSX. Some people have had success with other chipsets, but my laptop uses the same Broadcom chipset as the Apple Airport cards, which made things very simple. Download the kext below

Extract the kext to \system\library\extensions (go ahead and overright the existing one). Then run Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities) and repair the permissions on your drive.

Then run the following in Terminal:

Code:

sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext

Reboot, and voila! It may take some playing around with the Airport setup, but nothing too difficult. If you need any other help with this, check out the following link:

So, was this setup for 10.4.5? I have tried it on the 10.4.5 release with the 10.4.3 IONetworking and I get the following error when I try to kextload:

10AirPortPCI is not compatible with its superclass, 20IOEthernetController superclass changed?

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

• 2 weeks later...
10AirPortPCI is not compatible with its superclass, 20IOEthernetController superclass changed?

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext

Got exactly the same error with my Motorola WN825G PCMCIA card. Is there any ways to fix it? Card is on Broadcom chipset and must be working in OSX I think.

• 1 month later...

opened new thread for 10.4.6 and 10.4.5 so that we can keep this thread 10.4.1!

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=18597

Get the same error as well!

I have a Belkin Wireless G Plus Desktop Card (F5D7001) with Broadcom 4306 (at least from what I read in this thread)...and I copied the Airport2.kext from a different thread...and I used the two sudo commands which were supposed to be done once the file was replaced in the extensions folder...restart and still no effect...can someone with the F5D7001 please tell me which Airport2.kext to get and what commands to use.

Thanks a bunch in advance and please answer in the above linked thread!