Windows Vista is fine

WinMacLin

98 posts in this topic

Another vote for Vista. Have been running it for around 2,5 years now (including beta and RC versions). It was quicker on my current desktop computer then XP ever was. I know many people will say that they are happy using XP, and providing it's fully patched, there is nothing wrong with that. Having said that, I do believe that people who buy new systems, and then downgrade to XP are not doing themselves any favours.

Vista is more secure than XP, has more features, and it's safe to say that on those new systems you have all the drivers you need. Of course if you use that old obscured scanner/printer or whatever, where there is no driver available for Vista, it won't work. It will also not work on Windows 7 in due time. The same goes for incompatible programs, some people say they are going to wait for Windows 7, IF a program doesn't work for Vista now, (bad coding, relying on elevated authority or other reasons), it will also not work on new windows versions. Let's not forget, that the way Windows 7 is going, it's going to be largly based on Vista and it will probably have less new features then Vista brought over XP. To me, it seems that the next windows will be a minor upgrade. (let's wait and see).

Comparing OSX Leopard and Vista, I prefer Vista, but I do run Leopard on the same PC, and do like it as well. But for sheer availablity of applications, gaming and usablilty I prefer Vista. It's a matter of perference really, I mean I have always liked Vista's start menu over OSX's dock for instance.

DX10 is the most useless thing on Vista, nothing has really used it or offered any real benefits.

Well, I have too agree but at the same time, disagree with DX10 being useless. I think that DX10 is visually stunning, but is a TOTAL resource hog. I have a friend who is very close minded, always saying Vista is great, Macs can suck his balls, etc...

He has a 8800GT and 2 Gigs of RAM with a Dual-core Pentium 4 @3GHz and plays Crysis a lot. Running in DX10 mode gets 20-25FPS when outside, and 40-45FPS inside a building.

However, running in DX9 mode he gets a 20FPS gain (WOW!)

So although DX10 is a resource hog, in my opinion its very visually enhancing.

Of course, its a big lag monster

Also, DX10 has had a few games DX10 only, Halo 2, Shadowrun, etc (but some have been hacked to run on XP with DX9). And I'm not saying the games suck or are awesome. I haven't had much time to play games in the past two weeks.

Plus, DX10 on XP will never happen.

Btw, it has happened, but has a lot of bugs, and I think that its not practical really. But it has been done.

I believe its called "the Alky Project" but I heard that it has been abandoned.

http://www.techmixer.com/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp/

As stated, the my hardware (1.8GHz AMD 64x2, 2GB RAM, 128MB Radeon x1600) was worse in comparison to my cousin's MacBook (2.4GHz Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, 144MB Intel GMA X3100) rather than "equal". She also has keys falling off of it and cracks magically appearing here and there, and it's not neglected.

If you want a complete hardware comparison between Vista and Mac OSX. I have it.

My system specs are in the sig (Desktop). I can say that with full effects running on both machines with that setup, OSX ran better. PERIOD. I have Photoshop on both(CS3 Extended). Photoshop Loads faster (font loading gives a problem on both machines). Start up was faster on OSX (maybe 2-3 Seconds from BIOS to Desktop on OSX, 8-15 Seconds on Vista). OSX has a ACTUAL shutdown, that works.

Vista is more secure than XP, has more features, and it's safe to say that on those new systems you have all the drivers you need. Of course if you use that old obscured scanner/printer or whatever, where there is no driver available for Vista, it won't work. It will also not work on Windows 7 in due time. The same goes for incompatible programs, some people say they are going to wait for Windows 7, IF a program doesn't work for Vista now, (bad coding, relying on elevated authority or other reasons), it will also not work on new windows versions. Let's not forget, that the way Windows 7 is going, it's going to be largly based on Vista and it will probably have less new features then Vista brought over XP. To me, it seems that the next windows will be a minor upgrade. (let's wait and see).

Oh, you want to get onto security, security in vista is {censored}, still, do you think people actually read UAC prompts?! My dad is running Vista, he runs a lot of the small MSN downloadable games, but also gets them from different sites. He has 6 different toolbars in IE, and does not use firefox.

My XP system with Windows XP, I was running AVG 8 (Paid Version), and had no spyware, no viruses, nothing, it stayed secure, and when I dumped AVG onto his machine, his amount of toolbars/etc, has dropped tremendously. The only way to truely be secure is to teach people how to use the internet.

The Drivers, What if you bought a super high quality scanner that was very expensive and could scan large images ( 20x25 inches ). You probably spent about 4k on it, and when you got vista, POOF, it does not work. What are you going to do? Go back to XP so that you can use your scanner.

People who say that Vista is faster than XP is idiots. They are probably comparing their bloated copys of XP that they have used for several years to a new copy of vista, well comparing a bloated copy of vista to a bloated copy of XP reveals XP to be faster.

I will cry if windows screws up again and makes windows seven {censored} just like vista, though ballamer is now CEO.... damn.

That's not Vistas security, that's your dad downloading toolbars.>_> No OS has perfect security. All of them are in danger of a virus. Security in an Os is only as good as you are with the internet. Meaning not download any toolbars besides google, aol, yahoo, and msn(Which are all equally annoying.)

Btw, it has happened, but has a lot of bugs, and I think that its not practical really. But it has been done.

I believe its called "the Alky Project" but I heard that it has been abandoned.

http://www.techmixer.com/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp/

Alky project was never put to real use, it was only a test, and has remained a test. DX10 was built for the vista environment, unless MS were to port DX10 to XP, it's not happening.

OMG! Vista is beautiful and so easy to use. Lol, after hearing all the rumors about how c*appy Windows Vista was, I was hesitant to buy a computer with Vista Preinstalled but since it was a test machine, got it pretty cheap, and I had no plans to use Vista Long Term, I decided to buy it. For the heck of it, I decided to monkey around with Vista. I must say I am pretty impressed. Runs better than WinXP and IMHO is just as easy to use if not easier than XP. Seems to handle most tasks pretty well. I have yet to see the crashing and burning that people speak of. No freezeups or lockups to date. And graphics display seems better with Windows Vista on the computer than Leopard. Don't know about spyware or viruses, I am running Spywareblaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, A-Squared Free, and AVG for my Antivirus. I am used to running these programs and have been on WinXp in the past, so I don't find running or updating them annoying.

---- Colonel is trying to post a comment. ----

------ Cancel ------------------ Allow -----------

That's not Vistas security, that's your dad downloading toolbars.>_> No OS has perfect security. All of them are in danger of a virus. Security in an Os is only as good as you are with the internet. Meaning not download any toolbars besides google, aol, yahoo, and msn(Which are all equally annoying.)

I did say that there will never be no perfect security, all you can do is teach the idiot using it.

- Software update requires your password to continue -

---------------------------------------------------

UAC is more intrusive and irritating yes, but after SP1 in particular its the same deal.

- Software update requires your password to continue -

---------------------------------------------------

UAC is more intrusive and irritating yes, but after SP1 in particular its the same deal.

Lol, excellent point. I couldn't have said it better myself. And remember folks whatever is coded by human beings can be hacked by human beings. While viruses, trojans, and worms may be rare for Apple Operating Systems and Linux, they are not unheard off. Virus, Trojan, and Worm creators have chosen to target their efforts on Windows Xp and Vista, likely because Windows Xp and Vista are coded in more "hacker friendly" language and likely beacause the audience of users is wider. If the virus, trojan, and worm creators wanted to focus their energies on Mac Operating System and Linux, they could probably do it.

lol, I'm leaving this argument. A little too heated for a Vista tech talk for me. :)

while making my hackintosh, and at work, I use OSx (hack and G5) linux (3 different flavors) and Vista and the only one that has flawlessly and without fault, ran everything I wanted, detected anything I plugged into it, and above all felt natural was Vista.

admittedly I disable UAC the first day I got it - and I'm running it on a high spec machine, but even so I think the days of Windows being more unreliable and difficult than other OS's are gone

In fact - coming from a line of unreliable OS's means windows now has more work-arounds and manual overrides than OSx - when finder crashes it invariably won't re-launch I have to reboot the whole machine, but if explorer does I can kill it and just restart it in 'run'. If vista doesn't see a USB device I can chose to scan for it - if OSx doesn't I have to keep unplugging and trying again.

Admittedly thats because MS just copied all the best bits of other OS's but thats for lawyers to worry about.. :wacko:

Are you saying this as someone who has used Vista and had extensive experience in when and where UAC prompts come up, or have you just watched too many "I'm a Mac" commercials?

The important thing tho is that OS X doesn't pester the user with such things. Right?

post-163920-1216669804_thumb.jpg

post-163920-1216669813_thumb.jpg

Are you saying this as someone who has used Vista and had extensive experience in when and where UAC prompts come up, or have you just watched too many "I'm a Mac" commercials?

The important thing tho is that OS X doesn't pester the user with such things. Right?

Colonel is the biggest Vista fanboy out there.

No I AM after trying Vista For the first time and after using OSX, Ubuntu, and Suse Linux for some time.

Who spread those horror stories about Vista?? Was it those so called Mac Fan Boys/Mac Huggers. Vista Rules!!

I am? :)

Yes, I know OS X does a similar thing, even Ubuntu does, but Vista's is much more frequent. With OS X and Linux its basically any time you want install something.. with Vista, its whenever you want to DO something... :/