[How To] Enable Quartz 2D Extreme and Disable BeamSync

CrazyPigeon

86 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
- To enable Quartz Extreme 2D, use QuartzSimple or type the following in Terminal:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled true

(to disable it, change "true" to "false")

the right command is:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled -boolean true

• 3 weeks later...
Disable BeamSync can make everything better for CRT (same the way it make for LCD) or not? If I use the CRT monitor, should I disable BeamSync?

Yeah, I would like to know answer to this question too as I am using CRT monitor.

Also, by running those commandline method, that means I can include them into my mac startup script? Where is this startup script?

• 3 weeks later...

i disabled beam sync didnt get any performance boost in real world dont know about benchmark i did it so i can play video DVDs properly framerate is still less in my DVD playback in using geforce 6600gt 128mb agp i have qe, qe2d and CI enabled even im using AGP gart is there any way to make DVD plyback smooth, i dont have any software to benchmark my computer plz help...

every thing is running fine but DVD videos are running slow in dvd player never tried games except chest that runs properly but doesnt look so sharp may be game is like dat, i have attached my xbench results plz compare and if it can be be improved plz support my hardware is AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 754, K8ne deluxe mb, Geforce 6600GT 128mb agp, 1 gb transcend and seagate sata hard drive...

AMD_system.zip

I was looking for the date on the kernel. If it is early Nov, then you might want to upgrade. Kernel beta8, the current stable version, is dated Nov 27.

Darwin wasim-altafs-computer.local 8.8.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Sat Dec 9 22:18:27 AZOT 2006; semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

• 2 weeks later...

To speed some things up i read this topic and decided to try your commands.

in terminal:

first

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

i give my password

then:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled -boolean true

again i give my password

i check the results in plist editor pro and quartz enbled is "yes" and the "0" is stil a "1"

Although qe2d is enabled, xbench went from 56 to 63 thats 12% increase, but its not as much as i expected.

1 hour a headache and lots of tries further. Al i can say is there happens strange things and i give up.

Terminal says disabled but plist editor pro says its enabled??

Saving with plist editor is imposible its only good for reading (great!)

After i reboot i run xbench and get a 55 score, then i start plist edit with recent file windowserver.plist and its says its enabled?? i dont do anything but when i run i run xbenxh again i get 63, like plist editor unasked edit and saves the plist. To many un explainable things here, i give up.

Edited by wow

So, how can I test if Quartz Extreme 2d is enabled or not??

yes, i had the same question, how can you tell if QE2D is enabled and Beam Sync is disabled without having to run QuartzSimple or something else that might enable the beam sync again. I have ran both the command line commands, do they have to be run every boot? or are the permanent? if they need to be ran at every boot how would one go about doing that if it requires sudo and a password?

thanks for the help.

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure you are using Xbench 1.3 or newer. Versions prior to this didn't turn off beamsync while testing so the results are artificially adjusted down if your machine/graphic card is fast enough. (This doesn't mean it will make your system faster.)

As of version 1.3, beamsync is turned off during testing. (Having it on during normal use is unlikely to make much difference as most monitors are a minimum 60 Hz anyways.)

Enabling Quartz2D is another story and will likely produce better fps. As Apple improves its implementation it is likely they will enable this feature as default at some time.

To autoload Quartz2DExtreme (Q2DE) on startup:

[must have QE/CI working initially]

In Terminal:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled -boolean yes

Test by rebooting and checking System Profiler. If it does not autoload, change:

-boolean yes

to

-boolean true

And for BeamSync:

I thought there was a way to permanently disable beam sync...

There is a way, but be warned, but disabling beam sync brings a whole lot of bugs. Even on LCD'S Specially Office. Corrupted Text etc

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

Just a rehash of whatever's already under this topic. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

if i disable beamsync with "sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0" it is smooth but a little bit stuttering

if i disable beamsync with quartzsimple it is behaving as it should - whats wrong? - i would prefer not opening quartzsimple every boot

another problem seems to be that some programs switch the beamsync settings - then it is a little bit stuttering - then i have to open quartzsimple again and disable beamsync and it is working again - strange isnt it?

if someone has a solution for my problem please go ahead

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...