85 replies to this topic

TopazBar

TopazBar

November Rain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

The terminal command:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

is for disabling BeamSync. This speeds up performance with LCD monitors.

To enable QE2D, you should run QuartzSimple, enable Quartz Extreme 2D and then Force Quit QuartzSimple. If you simply quit QuartzSimple, it will disable QE2D as it quits. See the first posting of this thread.

There is an edit to be made to the windowserver.plist to enable QE2D, but I don't know it off the top of my head.

I will help you remember:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled true

Also handy commands:
plutil -convert xml1 /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver # to use with textedit
plutil -convert binary1 /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver # to put it back to normal format

tha_toadman

tha_toadman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

...is for disabling BeamSync. This speeds up performance with LCD monitors.

ohh ok. I was under the impression that this was for Q2DE. I'll keep looking for that one. thanks.

and thanks for that info, TopazBar. I'll have to try those out later today.

Rammjet

Rammjet

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,302 posts

I was under the impression that this was for Q2DE. I'll keep looking for that one

No need to look.

TopazBar gave you the command for QE2D. Or use QuartzSimple.

Summary:

- To enable Quartz Extreme 2D, use QuartzSimple or type the following in Terminal:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled true

(to disable it, change "true" to "false")
- To disable BeamSync (a speed improvement for systems with LCD monitors) use QuartzSimple or type in Terminal:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

(to re-enable it, change "0" to "1")
To download and use QuartzSimple, see the first posting of this thread.

tha_toadman

tha_toadman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
i saw that - thanks again to you both!

small problem though...i tried

...and it pooched my system...upon boot, there was a blue background and a spinning logo in the middle of the screen....wouldn't go away. could it possibly be 'yes' instead of 'true'? the reason i ask is last night i tried a shareware plist pro editor and i almost swore it said 'yes' or 'no' instead of 'true' and 'false'...?

tha_toadman

tha_toadman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
the commands still aren't working for me. i think i'll use the QuartzSimple 'Force Quit' method instead but i do believe the beamsync is working though...haven't used XBench to test it yet.

Rammjet

Rammjet

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,302 posts
Careful - running QuartzSimple might reset your beamsync...

could it possibly be 'yes' instead of 'true'?

Here is a posting with the contents of the windowserver.plist displayed. At the bottom you see it set to its default setting of "false": http://forum.insanel...&...st&p=133095

It might give you fits if you aren't QE2D capable...

tha_toadman

tha_toadman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
I got it working now.

I ran QuartzSimple and 'forced quit' - after running XBench...I'm currently running at 120.08 so all is well. :thumbsdown_anim:

spikeh

spikeh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
By using the two code methods, does this mean BeamSync is permanently disabled and QE2D will always be on?

Rammjet

Rammjet

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,302 posts

By using the two code methods, does this mean BeamSync is permanently disabled and QE2D will always be on?

Yes, the "defaults write" command changes the value in the corresponding plists that get read by the system.

nastyhome

nastyhome

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Will this work on a ATI Radeon 9200 card?

Rammjet

Rammjet

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,302 posts

Will this work on a ATI Radeon 9200 card?

Anyone with a an LCD monitor can disable Beamsync.

However, you must first have QE/CI before you can get QE2D.

interinv

interinv

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

- To enable Quartz Extreme 2D, use QuartzSimple or type the following in Terminal:

(to disable it, change "true" to "false")

the right command is:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled -boolean true

asapreta

asapreta

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
Will try now on 10.4.8 and see if got some improvements.

Thanks for the "new" commands, make it easier.

graphic Design

graphic Design

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Disable BeamSync can make everything better for CRT (same the way it make for LCD) or not? If I use the CRT monitor, should I disable BeamSync?

abubin

abubin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Disable BeamSync can make everything better for CRT (same the way it make for LCD) or not? If I use the CRT monitor, should I disable BeamSync?

Yeah, I would like to know answer to this question too as I am using CRT monitor.

Also, by running those commandline method, that means I can include them into my mac startup script? Where is this startup script?

Rammjet

Rammjet

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,302 posts
No, BeamSync is needed for CRT.

.NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Does the BeamSync trick work with analog-linked LCDs or only those with DVI?

wasim

wasim

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
i disabled beam sync didnt get any performance boost in real world dont know about benchmark i did it so i can play video DVDs properly framerate is still less in my DVD playback in using geforce 6600gt 128mb agp i have qe, qe2d and CI enabled even im using AGP gart is there any way to make DVD plyback smooth, i dont have any software to benchmark my computer plz help...

Rammjet

Rammjet

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,302 posts

is there any way to make DVD plyback smooth

What kernel are you running? In Terminal, type: uname -a

wasim

wasim

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
every thing is running fine but DVD videos are running slow in dvd player never tried games except chest that runs properly but doesnt look so sharp may be game is like dat, i have attached my xbench results plz compare and if it can be be improved plz support my hardware is AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 754, K8ne deluxe mb, Geforce 6600GT 128mb agp, 1 gb transcend and seagate sata hard drive...

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy