[How To] Enable Quartz 2D Extreme and Disable BeamSync

CrazyPigeon

86 posts in this topic

I have modded QuartzDebug to simplify this process, and if you loose the directions, no worries, the directions are in QuartzSimple.

In order to use this trick you must have a supported video card, with CI and QE supported!!

1. Download QuartzSimple (Mirrored on my website, Click Here)

2. Copy Quartz Debuug to your Applications Folder and open it

3. Go to Tools and Click "Enable Quartz 2D Extreme"

4. Go to Tools and Click "Show BeamSync Tools" and Click "Disable Beam Synchronization"

5. Now Hit Command (Apple or alt if your on a pc keyboard) + alt (windows on a pc keyboard) + esc

6. Click Quartz Debug and hit "Force Quit" then click Finder and hit "Relaunch"

7. Any apps that you have open will have to be closed and open again for you to notice the speed in them.

8. Any time you restart, you will have to disable Beamsync again, I have yet to find a workaround.

When I did this trick on my Hackintosh, I went from low 60's to high 80's and low 90's, also the GUI is just blazing.

Also when you relaunch finder, the QuartzSimple directions disapper, just click the icon in the dock and the directions will pop up again.

EDIT: Forgot to post link to quartz debug

EDIT/UPDATE: QuartzSimple Added, and broken link fixed ;)

There is a way, but be warned, but disabling beam sync brings a whole lot of bugs. Even on LCD'S Specially Office. Corrupted Text etc

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

• 1 month later...

so what's the consensus on disabling beam sync? I'm on a Dell d600 laptop with xBench numbers in the mid to high 30's so if this will get me into the 50's I'll do it provided it doesn't make the system all buggy. BTW CrazyPigeon your link for the quartz.zip file is down. Thanks

I'm hoping someone can answer this question before I delve into all this Beam Sync business.

Will disabling Beam Sync provide actual, practical, real world speed improvement or just boost my benchmark numbers? If so, where will I see the difference?

Thanks-

Enabling 2d quartz helps a lot with dialogs and such. And disabling beamsync, just makes your system SCREAM, up to 2 times faster, its crazy. Its not just the benchmarks, its a noticable speed increase.

Where do you notice the speed-up? My XBench jumped from 74 to 94, but I'm not sure I'm feeling much change? Is it in video performance or processor intensive processes or something else?]

Thanks-

P

Forgive me if this question is totally obvious, I'm new to the OSx86 scene and I'm trying to catch up. Does this supposed BeamSync fix apply to all OSx86/LCD users? Or do you have to have a supported video card with a kext loaded?

I guess since you can revert back I'll try it and see what happens.

OK, so I tried it myself and checked the XBench scores.

With BeamSync: 32.36 for the Quartz Graphics test, 19.18 for the GUI test

Without BeamSync: 51.08 for the Quartz Graphics test, 59.10 for the GUI test

Obviousy there's a huge increase in performance.

And, so far I haven't seen any changes in quality degredation. I'll post back here though if I end up finding some.

BTW, I have an ATI card that isn't supported, which answers my question from my previous post. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I just made all setting I my Xbench final result jumped from 57.84 to 87.41

Compare this:

initial

------

User Interface Test 24.91

Elements 24.91 114.32 refresh/sec

-----

after

------

User Interface Test 131.28

Elements 131.28 602.49 refresh/sec

------

Thanks a lot !!

• 1 month later...

Wow... great work, but it did not work for me...a hope yo can help me:

I have Mac OS X running una de PC (Laptop) with a Ati Mobility Radeon X300 working with callisto build 003 driver.

Your app told me "QuartzExtreme not compatible".

Is my videocard realy nos compatible...??

is a issue with the Callisto driver...??

Thanks yo verry much.

do you have Qe and CI running m3?

No, as I said I try the app that CrazyPigeon post, but I doesn’t work, it said “QuartzExtreme not compatible”. And I don’t now if my video card is really not compatible, the Callisto driver is not compatible, or something else.

I also try another methods without any result (patch .plugin).

• 3 weeks later...

ok, the odd's at my end. i tried downloading the file from winxp (running in parallels) and no problem.. i simply can't access some websites from OSX!!

the none working sites so far: the above mentioned / youtube. .. i have tried it with safari, firefox and camino... NONE WORK!!!

if anyone has an idea of what might have gone pearshaped let me know.

EDIT: it was too obvious.. it was peer guardian.. how can i turn off http blocking.. aargh.-

:)

osxG