10.5.3 Update Guide

iSkylla

299 posts in this topic

I'm in the same boat as markpenn, above... I copied over my backup AppleSMBIOS.kext, NVinject.kext , and reinstalled my audio drivers. Audio works fine, but I'm at software CI and no QE. I used the NVInstallerV.41.pkg package, but I'm still sans snazzy graphics. Any help, please?

You're on 10.5.2, the .orig is because Kalyway changes the extension so the kext doesn't load. You still need to update the 10.5.3 using the netkas script.

Hmm, since the script will remove the new AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, there's no need to worry about the presence of the old one. So, my question is classified as stupid and pointless :)

After update with combo update, kext helper say's can't log in as root?????

I am running kalyway 5.1 updated to 5.2. Can I just back up the entire extensions folder and after running the update replace it? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

After update with combo update, kext helper say's can't log in as root?????

I am running kalyway 5.1 updated to 5.2. Can I just back up the entire extensions folder and after running the update replace it? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

You can't copy and replace the entire folder, since most files in there will be in use. I tried this, ended up breaking my install. I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think you can simply run the update, and afterwards reinstall all your custom Kexts. Kext helper not being able to run as root is an interesting problem. Are you sure your password is correct? Or do you even have a password? (you should, if only for compatibility).

I'm in the same boat as markpenn, above... I copied over my backup AppleSMBIOS.kext, NVinject.kext , and reinstalled my audio drivers. Audio works fine, but I'm at software CI and no QE. I used the NVInstallerV.41.pkg package, but I'm still sans snazzy graphics. Any help, please?

This is exactly where I'm at as well, I copied back those .kext files (didn't need to reinstall audio drivers), repaired the permissions, then I reinstalled using NVInstallerV.41.pkg and I've got software CI and no QE.

My video card is only showing as 256Mb when it's a 640Mb 8800GTS. It was detected and working correctly on 10.5.2

Any suggestions as to what to try please?

okay. first. Besides AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, I had to delete AppleHWSensor.kext also in order to boot. Apparently, at loginwindow, I got a ton of garbage (and kept going on forever) with CrashReporter about HIToolbox, various applications. So I reapplied 10.5.3 combo update from a different partition and then remove the above two kext.

For people with QE/CI problem and giving a futile retry with NVInstaller.41:

You have to use Pacifist to force replace those kexts and framework. Apparently, NVinstaller does not force delete the newest versions of kexts and framework and replace them with old ones. In pacifist, authorize yourself, then when asked, apply replace to all (choose the dont ask ask again for this installation option from the pop up window). Everything will work fine and dandy now.

Anyone reporting success with proper shutdown/restart/sleep?

You can't copy and replace the entire folder, since most files in there will be in use. I tried this, ended up breaking my install. I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think you can simply run the update, and afterwards reinstall all your custom Kexts. Kext helper not being able to run as root is an interesting problem. Are you sure your password is correct? Or do you even have a password? (you should, if only for compatibility).

I do have a password. I had almost no trouble with 5.2!

Should I need to replace the gma950 graphics next this time even though there is no graphics update?

This is my fourth try:-(

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

This kext is not available.

I installed Kalyway 10.5.1 without the vanilla kernel nor the ACPI fix.

Can i proceed without this or do i need something special?

Ok, did everything exactly as I did on the 10.5.2 update. Backed up extensions, etc. Part way through the install (combo updater), machine crashed and now I can't reboot. This is on a vanilla install. WTF????

(Asus P5W DH Deluxe)

Ok, did everything exactly as I did on the 10.5.2 update. Backed up extensions, etc. Part way through the install (combo updater), machine crashed and now I can't reboot. This is on a vanilla install. WTF????

You didn't run the script or you made a typo because if it crashed during the installer, that means that CPU PowerManagement from 10.5.3 and that crashes PCs.

okay. first. Besides AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, I had to delete AppleHWSensor.kext also in order to boot. Apparently, at loginwindow, I got a ton of garbage (and kept going on forever) with CrashReporter about HIToolbox, various applications. So I reapplied 10.5.3 combo update from a different partition and then remove the above two kext.

You have to use Pacifist to force replace those kexts and framework. Apparently, NVinstaller does not force delete the newest versions of kexts and framework and replace them with old ones. In pacifist, authorize yourself, then when asked, apply replace to all (choose the dont ask ask again for this installation option from the pop up window). Everything will work fine and dandy now.

Anyone reporting success with proper shutdown/restart/sleep?

Thanks, was about to pull my hair out. :)

Finally everything is back to normal. Is there anytning more I have to reinstall after fixing sound and graphics?

I got the waiting for root device error too, apparently my motherboard decided to reset all bios settings so I had to change the sata settings again. No idea if it's the same problem but it never hurts to check.

You didn't run the script or you made a typo because if it crashed during the installer, that means that CPU PowerManagement from 10.5.3 and that crashes PCs.

So can I boot from a Kalyway install disk and remove that? I guess the better question is, how do I recover from this?

Ok gotcha.

Another dumb question, how long would you estimate until one is released?

I have no clue, your guess is as good as mine. I don't imagine it will be too long. I mean you can update to 10.5.3 but you have to use the 10.5.2 system.kext and kernel.

This worked perfectly, thank you :)

Failed... <_<

Hangs at the blue screen just defore the desktop loading

I'm planning to boot from the installation DVD, delete the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, replace the SMBIOS and AppleGMA950 from backup, repair permissions, touch the /System/Library/Extensions, pray and reboot.

LioNEXT,

Thanks for the idea, I tried this with the NVInstaller pkg, extracted the Frameworks as well as the 512 NVInstaller, but no dice. Still no QE, CI still software.

*sigh*

EDIT: Trashed NVInject, and replaced it with a backup of the old extensions, as well as the NVIDblabblah files right before it, and the old drivers for NVIDIA cards, and it works!

Too bad Restart broke. Sleep still works the same tho.

No success here... even following the guide by the line, this one killed my install...

"waiting for root device"

cimg1836lo9.th.jpg

Any help would be very welcome... <_<

I had this same issue too, I fixed it by restoring the IOAHCIFamily.kext from the original Leopard install disk. Not sure if this will have any negative effects though...