[HowTo] Native FrontRow without any illegal hacks? It is easy :)

Kyrie1965

379 posts in this topic

Hmm... I followed it all, didnt work. Then I tried FrontRowEnabler and it screwed up my K&M applet in the SysPrefs :) undoing the patch doesn't help ;)

UPD: Ever my video properties are screwed up now. KSO!

UPD2: Found out that the frontrow enabler screwed up BezelService - replaced with the original one and all is fine again. Except I still have no frontrow. But thats OK while my system works fine :)

Well, I went over to my cousins house and we updated his system to 10.4.4, but unfortuanately all of his USB ports quit working. I am going over there again sometime to see if we can copy over the 10.4.3 USB drivers and get a device ID.

ok i installed using pacifist, then tried the terminal commands, got an error. rebooted, pressed command+esc and got a white screen. i pressed space and got words like "shuffle songs" and "view library" so i know it is there but i cant see it. any ideas? i'm using an HP pavillion notebook with ATI mobility radeon x600.

ok i installed using pacifist, then tried the terminal commands, got an error. rebooted, pressed command+esc and got a white screen. i pressed space and got words like "shuffle songs" and "view library" so i know it is there but i cant see it. any ideas? i'm using an HP pavillion notebook with ATI mobility radeon x600.

I believe it is because you don't have any opengl acceleration. I had the same problem until I was able to enable QE and CI on my ATI x300.

EDIT: Check http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=10415 if you have an ATI video card.

i installed everything like you said - but nothing happens when i press command + esc, even i cant find the shortcut for Frontrow in -preferences - keyboardshortcuts

i installed it with pacifist - open package - moved the cursor to Contents of FrontRow.pkg and pressed install

any help?

• 2 weeks later...

I also installed in 10.4.5 as per instructions with pacifist and I also get the white screen. I hear some sound when i press alt-esc and i hear similar sounds when i press the arrow keys, but I only see white. I suspected that this was because of no QE and CI, but my system has a geforce go5600, so I guess I'll have to wait for more advancement on the video driver front.

Kyrie -

I've got this installed, working (except that the x86 box has an nVidia card, so white screen.)

Do you have a PPC version of your kext? I'm assuming it's x86 only (as it has issues with IOUSBHIDFamily if I try to load it on the PPC).

Thanks!

So Ive been working on this for a while and I cant seem to make it work. I'm running a P4 (SSE2) machine with a Sapphire X1600 card (QE & CI supported thru X1000.kext edit). I can get the fast user switch animation to work and openGL apps like chess work fine. Yes there's some mouse tearing but mousepose helped make it more tolerable.

When I hit CMD+ESC I can hear the CPU/HDD activity and all of the items in the right side of the menu bar (clock, volume, bluetooth, spotlight) dissappear for about a second - but nothing else happens. Then the items reappear and thats it. I've tried that Front Row.app that somebody posted and all I get is a nice "bonk" sound =). I followed all instructions on the first post to the letter.

Installation works fine (using pacifist)

Kext loads properly (no errors on kextload -v or on bootup)

I've tried product&vendor IDs for both my Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Pro and a spare Logitech Mouseman Traveler (I wish I had more spare USB keyboards/mice)

I have deleted the kext caches and restarted many times

I tried the FrontRowEnabler 1.1 and all that did was break my Keyboard & Mouse prefpane

I installed the FrontRowEnabler after I found the method on this thread was not working. Now front row STILL isnt working (and my mouse&keyboard prefpane just crashes). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for all the great help the last few weeks - this is my first post but I've been here daily for about the past month. Keep up the great work!

hi i dont have Mac OS X Install Disk 1 > System > Installation > Packages > .packages > FrontRow.pkg

on my dvd 10.4.4 patche where for find this front row or pm me please for this front row for send me by email or msn tanks

excuse for my english

Hi all,

Tutorial is great, just needed 5 mins to get it configured and installed.

HOwever i'm unlucky, since my laptop uses an Nvidia GeForce 6600 currently running with NP_ Beta build 5 driver with NO 2D-3D HW Acceleration.

Result is that I have a "gray-white" screen when launching FrontRow but can still see some menus and listen to music or watch videos.

Hope this helps the ones also with a non-accelerated Video card.

rykkard.

Help,

I installed frontrow like this. But I get the error cannot load AppleHIDMouse.kext.

01. Install frontrow with pacifist from:

Mac OS X Install Disk 1 > System > Installation > Packages > .packages > FrontRow.pkg.

02. Copy AppleHIDMouse.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

(Kext is edited by adding

<key>HIDRemoteControl</key>

<true/>

where needed, coz i've got a mighty mouse)

03. Open Terminal and enter:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHIDMouse.kext

04. Restart

Whats wrong?

Also this is a 10.4.6 install, not 10.4.5 as in my sig.

EDIT: Got it working. I forgot to fis disk permissions bu using DiskUtility. :angel:

Windows Media Player is a total joke :)...slow and system hog.
At least it can play something unlike windows.

skyliner, try this:

Open Terminal and enter:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHIDMouse.kext

Delete the kext.cache stuff, run -f -v at boot up just to make sure. Look for errors.

i followed all the directions and it still doesnt work. everything went well but when i tried cmd+esc it didnt work. its not in keyboard shortcuts either.

i think its bc i entered one of my IDs wrong. how do u enter 0x024d? i cant type x0 only x24d

:D