[HowTo] Native FrontRow without any illegal hacks? It is easy :)

Kyrie1965

379 posts in this topic

After pressing Command+Esc my system momentairly hangs up - with Gray Screen of Death. And there isn't any information about kernel panic in logs. I assume, that is somehow connected with my mouse... Could you post the same driver for keyboard (for example for Apple Wireless Keyboard)?

However, great work, thank you!

After pressing Command+Esc my system momentairly hangs up - with Gray Screen of Death. And there isn't any information about kernel panic in logs. I assume, that is somehow connected with my mouse... Could you post the same driver for keyboard (for example for Apple Wireless Keyboard)?

However, great work, thank you!

You can use this driver for keyboard.

You only need to change "HIDDefaultBehavior" from "Mouse" to "Keyboard" in Info.plist of FrontRowPass.kext. And use your USB keyboard DeviceID and VendorID.

My mouse is some weird RadioShack model that uses USB outputs, yet it came bundled with a "USB to standard mouse input" extension thinggy. Basically, my mouse works a lot smoother and more responsive when it's plugged into the the standard mouse input, instead of the USB.

FrontRow is working great and all, but could I add device and vendor IDs from some other peripheral that's plugged into a USB port other than my mouse or a keyboard? Does the kext just make sure the designated peripheral with matching device and vendor IDs is connected or not, or does it actually utilize it somehow? I don't see where the mouse comes into all this, because while in Front Row, my keyboard does all the navigation, and it's not a USB keyboard either.

Just asking. Thanks for any replies.

Takuro, :afro:

You can not control Front Row with mouse. It is not a hack of Front Row. It is native Front Row like on any Mac with Apple Remote.

With this driver "SystemUIServer" think that there is Apple Remote in computer and let you to run Front Row.

You can use Salling Clicker to control Front Row with Bluetooth (Wi-Fi) mobile phone (or HPC)

Salling Clicker

http://www.salling.com/Clicker/mac/

Supported devices

http://www.salling.com/Clicker/mac/devices.php

Universal Binary version (beta)

http://www.salling.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3489

My mouse is some weird RadioShack model that uses USB outputs, yet it came bundled with a "USB to standard mouse input" extension thinggy. Basically, my mouse works a lot smoother and more responsive when it's plugged into the the standard mouse input, instead of the USB.

FrontRow is working great and all, but could I add device and vendor IDs from some other peripheral that's plugged into a USB port other than my mouse or a keyboard? Does the kext just make sure the designated peripheral with matching device and vendor IDs is connected or not, or does it actually utilize it somehow? I don't see where the mouse comes into all this, because while in Front Row, my keyboard does all the navigation, and it's not a USB keyboard either.

Just asking. Thanks for any replies.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...indpost&p=66244

xtraa, domino, Romeo is Universal Binary now!

I made some changes in source and compiled it. It have many bugs, but works well with Front Row (Options button in Romeo does not work, do not press it, lol :) ).

I've tested it with SonyEricsson T630. Works well! Ultra cool. Hooah, comrades :D

This version have support for Front Row. To install, just unzip it and delete "com.arboreal.romeo.plist" (if you have it) in User Preferences Folder.

http://www.yuriev.info/Romeo.zip

Damnit... Just being away two days and ypiieeh :D

Thanks a whole bunch!

ymmd :)

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method...erface%20device

Ok I read up a little. Is there any way to fake it into working without an HID device? It doesn't use the mouse for navigation anyway, so I don't see the harm in trying. Or maybe an emulate device...

Yeap. Use hacked BezelServices.loginPlugin. Ask the author of Front Row Enabler to write patch for Universal Binary Front Row.

Method in this thread is not a hack. System think that there is Apple Remote on your computer. You can use FrontRowPass.kext with any type of HID device (mouse, keyboard, etc.), not only mouse. By defaults it is for mouse, because most of new age computers have USB mouse.

I have a bit of a brain teaser about controlling FrontRow. From what I have read, any HID device will work with FrontRow, but the driver given is designed for a USB mouse (as a PS2 mouse is not a HID device). I installed Mac OS 10.4.3 on my cousins media center (Celeron D 2.93GHz, ATI 9550, 768MB RAM) and am currently 98% done with downloading 10.4.4. My cousin's PC has a USB Infared Reciever with a Windows XP Media Center remote. Is there any way to modify this driver or use this driver with other software that would allow me to use the media center remote on FrontRow once I get 10.4.4 installed?

From what I remember, the infared reciever did show up under USB devices and did have a device ID. I am not over at my cousins house right now, but I may be going later tonight and if I do I will post the Device ID.

I made some changes in source and compiled it. It have many bugs, but works well with Front Row (Options button in Romeo does not work, do not press it, lol

Actually, the Options button works now. All I did was move the UB app from the Mac folder (the one Kyrie compiled) and copied it to the old PPC version Mac folder, replacing the old PPC version. :). The only real problem with Romeo now are the plugins (scripts), which need to be recreated/edited for the current "System" controller such as system volume and system mute, etc. If you can provide script support, please head on over to my Front Row post and plugins featuring Kyie's compilation.

thanks

Edited by domino

There is a terrible side effect regarding frontrowenabler.kext:

I usually map my keyboard in os x to match my windows modifier keys. I set command to ctrl, option to Alt, etc. This mapping gets reset with values by default every time I star Front Row or the driver is loaded at boot. It gets kind of annoying to remap all the time. Anyone got hints on how to fix it?

There is a terrible side effect regarding frontrowenabler.kext:

I usually map my keyboard in os x to match my windows modifier keys. I set command to ctrl, option to Alt, etc. This mapping gets reset with values by default every time I star Front Row or the driver is loaded at boot. It gets kind of annoying to remap all the time. Anyone got hints on how to fix it?

i do the same thing and dont have the problem. i am using a USB Mouse as my 'remote', it might be caused if you are using a keyboard as your remote....

i do the same thing and dont have the problem. i am using a USB Mouse as my 'remote', it might be caused if you are using a keyboard as your remote....

You mean the "defaultbehavior" flag? Ive already tried with Mouse but it's the same.

i have this probleme whit front row for mouse

Welcome to Darwin!

eric-tremblays-computer:~ Eric$ sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

Password:

eric-tremblays-computer:~ Eric$ sudo kextload -v System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

kextload: /Users/Eric/System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext: no such bundle file exists

can't add kernel extension System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext (file access/permissions) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

eric-tremblays-computer:~ Eric$

wat is the probleme

ps front row fonctionaly whit the script but no whit cmd + escape

tanks and excuse for my english

i have this probleme whit front row for mouse

Welcome to Darwin!

eric-tremblays-computer:~ Eric$ sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

Password:

eric-tremblays-computer:~ Eric$ sudo kextload -v System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

kextload: /Users/Eric/System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext: no such bundle file exists

can't add kernel extension System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext (file access/permissions) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

eric-tremblays-computer:~ Eric$

wat is the probleme

ps front row fonctionaly whit the script but no whit cmd + escape

tanks and excuse for my english

make sure when testing you do 'kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext' ... the / in front of System is important. also reboot with -v after adding the kext to the extensions folder to see if there are any errors while booting...