The Hackintosh: Delivered

REVENGE

The Open Computer  

770 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe Psystar, or any 3rd party should be selling products pre-installed with OSx86?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
  2. 2. What sort of action do you believe Apple will take against Psystar Corporation?

• Legal
    • Deterrence (Changes to hinder the use of OSx86)
    • Both
    • None
  3. 3. Would you like to see future iterations of OS X legally run on vanilla PCs?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure

134 posts in this topic

What is this? :)

the INQUIRER

"The only way to update the system is by some reasonably complex command-line jiggery pokery developed by the OSX86 community (which has its collective panties in a bunch about Psystar nicking its code without premission)

:blink:

Therefore, although I think that unleashing OS X from Apple hardware might cause Mac sales to take a hit initially, it would be relatively minor. Furthermore, the hit could be largely offset by Apple offering something like a regular mid-tower computer. Moreover, Mac sales could be significantly boosted in the long term as the number of OS X users multiplied. The idea that releasing OS X would destroy Apple is absurd because iPods/iPhone and iTunes Music Store sales account for about half of Apple's revenue now. These non-Mac income sources of Apple obviously would not suffer from the general release of OS X. Finally, it does not require skills in rocket science or brain surgery to figure out that there is much more money to be made in selling OS X than Macs. Microsoft proved this with Windows a long time ago.

I totally agree with that, but in my perception they are waiting to reach a market share quota that make this more comfortable. The market is facing a major recession and Apple is like selling never, so why bother with that now, right?

I still feel like those provocations on Vista during the Leopard's presentation were more than a revenge for the past; Steve probably has a plan about it and we will see the day when Mac OS X will be released to our gray boxes. He can't be that blind. It's only a matter of timing, I think.

I totally agree with that, but in my perception they are waiting to reach a market share quota that make this more comfortable. The market is facing a major recession and Apple is like selling never, so why bother with that now, right?

I still feel like those provocations on Vista during the Leopard's presentation were more than a revenge for the past; Steve probably has a plan about it and we will see the day when Mac OS X will be released to our gray boxes. He can't be that blind. It's only a matter of timing, I think.

I think the real question now is this:

Why does Apple appear to be tolerating Psystar?

Apple should have acted as quickly as possible to shut Psystar down. Apple could have easily filed a lawsuit last week, but apparently choose not to. The legal case is very straight forward: DMCA and EULA violations. These are legal issues that Apple's lawyers should already be experts in, so it is not like they really more than a day or so to write their lawsuit. Furthermore, Apple could have foreseen the commercialization of OSx86 with the release of Leopard and had a plan to deal with it. At a bare minimum, Apple should have made a statement to the effect that it would not tolerate violations of their EULA. Instead, Apple has repeatedly made "no comment" on the Psystar matter. This only encourages others to do it.

What is going on?

Stravaganza .... Dude You Forgot about Labor Costs in Your Quote .....
Actually I didn't forget. I knew that I need to add the labor fee, but I still don't know how much my labor fee for building a hackintosh is. So I decided not to include it to show how much Psystar charges on their part: $162.95 (or $132.95 without considering rebates) for labor fee (all of it) because they don't pay loyalty or license fee to anyone. Not so bad for 60 minute job (20 minute to build a machine, 25 minutes to install and patch, 10 minutes for packing and shipping, and 5 minutes for a ciggy).

I think the real question now is this: Why does Apple appear to be tolerating Psystar?Apple should have acted as quickly as possible to shut Psystar down. Apple could have easily filed a lawsuit last week, but apparently choose not to. The legal case is very straight forward: DMCA and EULA violations. These are legal issues that Apple's lawyers should already be experts in, so it is not like they really more than a day or so to write their lawsuit. Furthermore, Apple could have foreseen the commercialization of OSx86 with the release of Leopard and had a plan to deal with it. At a bare minimum, Apple should have made a statement to the effect that it would not tolerate violations of their EULA. Instead, Apple has repeatedly made "no comment" on the Psystar matter. This only encourages others to do it. What is going on?

apple ordered their own openpcpro from psystar and they are waitin' for it to arrive first. then they can present that as evidence in a trial (i betcha that they even keep the box to show that it was shipped from the psystar's business address).

Actually I didn't forget. I knew that I need to add the labor fee, but I still don't know how much my labor fee for building a hackintosh is. So I decided not to include it to show how much Psystar charges on their part: $162.95 (or $132.95 without considering rebates) for labor fee (all of it) because they don't pay loyalty or license fee to anyone. Not so bad for 60 minute job (20 minute to build a machine, 25 minutes to install and patch, 10 minutes for packing and shipping, and 5 minutes for a ciggy).

psystar could have ordered the parts from a wholesaler like ingram micro

http://www.ingrammicro.com

and paid less money for the parts, ingram micro has cheaper prices than newegg (but you need to be a business/reseller in order to buy from them.

All reseller applications are subject to a refundable $100 fee. Payment may be made with Discover, MasterCard or Visa. American Express is not accepted. The application fee will be refunded after 120 calendar days to new customers whose accounts show net sales of $1,500 or more in billed product during the first 60 calendar days after the opening of the account.

http://www.ingrammicro.com/us/0,,15176_151...8_15246,00.html

but i seriously doubt that psystar paid the $100 so that they could buy computer parts from ingram micro at wholesale prices. but if they did then our calcualations for their profit margin off of the parts will be too low (i betcha they used newegg anyways).

Look at how linux destroyed unix. Competition is always good. Unless you're the one losing. As for companies that profit of other's work. Well how about RedHat.

Well... if memory serves, Linus Torvalds received a handsome amount of stock options from Red Hat after they really took off. I don't recall how much exactly - I think a few million $ - anyway he can very comfortably retire on it. That is proper business.

Nicking ideas for commercial purposes without paying anything to the originators and (that's the point) developing complacency around it or even condoning it, will pave the way to a breeding ground for even more white collar thugs and ultimately a 'mobcracy'.

Not exactly a flattering reference for countries that love calling themselves 'civilised' before all others.

Apart from that it might potentially lead to a certain demotivation and reluctance to releasing innovation among bright and creative heads who lack the necessary capital and/or legal backing.

The belief that infringing author's rights solely for selfish commercial purposes incites innovation is a shortsighted 'quick-buck-thinking' fallacy.

Psystar is retarded. Its as simple as that. Psytar Stealing code from Netkas, and doing all that sought of stuff, just tells Apple that its time to act and expand their Mac OS X for mainstream users that use a PC.

hi everyone...

you said that the mainboard is GA G31M-S2L

there is a problem with sound card (realtek alc 662) only output......or output with line-in and mic.....but then can't control master volume bar.....it's grey out...

so it's not 100% perfect.!!!

i've got this mainboard.......

Well... if memory serves, Linus Torvalds received a handsome amount of stock options from Red Hat after they really took off. I don't recall how much exactly - I think a few million $ - anyway he can very comfortably retire on it. That is proper business.

Nicking ideas for commercial purposes without paying anything to the originators and (that's the point) developing complacency around it or even condoning it, will pave the way to a breeding ground for even more white collar thugs and ultimately a 'mobcracy'.

Not exactly a flattering reference for countries that love calling themselves 'civilised' before all others.

Apart from that it might potentially lead to a certain demotivation and reluctance to releasing innovation among bright and creative heads who lack the necessary capital and/or legal backing.

The belief that infringing author's rights solely for selfish commercial purposes incites innovation is a shortsighted 'quick-buck-thinking' fallacy.

Torvalds is not the only developer of the linux kernel did he pay those who helped out?

What is this? :D

the INQUIRER

"The only way to update the system is by some reasonably complex command-line jiggery pokery developed by the OSX86 community (which has its collective panties in a bunch about Psystar nicking its code without premission)

:censored2:

lol Yeah, that's how they report the news...or non-news for that matter. XD

Did anyone notice how loud the psu was?....... It sounded like a fighter jet was on that guy's dining room table! No big shock, the case is a cheapie....

I was thinking "dustbuster". :( It reminded me of the athlon pc I put together years ago... man that thing was loud! I got used to it because I need noise to sleep after growing up living next to an airport.

You get what you pay for. I'm glad my hackintosh is quiet; it's quieter than the powermac it replaced.

I wonder how many here remember what Compaq did in the early 80's?

Thanks to Compaq reverse engineering the original pc bios, we are able to get clones and whatnot.

It would be funny if we only had 2 choices for personal computers, Apple and IBM.

Man, no computer would be cheaper than US$ 4K.

I agree, Psystar is using and profiting from someone else effort, but perhaps, will show Apple that the days of locked hardware are over and that Apple is missing a great chance to make more money and market share, since Vista is making MS vulnerable.

but sadly, we are in interesting times, nothing bad can be said about Apple before Job's unpaid mob lynches you.

*runs for cover*

Torvalds is not the only developer of the linux kernel did he pay those who helped out?

that is red hat's/torvalds' business whether he paid others or not. where do you draw the line???

*starts to download linux with the hopes of figurin' out how to add/debug/modify/"add your tech lingo" here so that i can be one of the people to receive a future royalty payment from red hat/torvald/any other company that sells linux 'cause i have now contributed to the development of linux*

hey, at least red hat has made some attempts to pay somebody, psystar hasn't contributed any monies to any developers, which red hat has done.

and i know nothin' about linux, i've only been on linux once (it was my friend's laptop and if i remember correctly he was runnin' red hat, lol). i have no computer/software programmer skill (this is why i stick to music, buildin' pc's...) so i won't google linux 'cause i have no plans on installin' linux on my pc (the music production programs that i use only work on windows/os x anyways) so i am basin' my post on solaar's post.

Bah, Apple makes so much money with iPods/iTunes that they could retail OSX with support for Intel CPUs, NV cards and the various Intel HDA chips with no losses whatsoever.

Their computers are so much overpriced it's not even funny. I bought me a HP Pavilion dv9450eb, works just as well as any MacBookPro, for about a third of the price.

If I copy paste some sentences from your reactions here, we could say the future will tell. Who could have imagine that one day Apple will announce to have been testing Intel CPU from years ? Maybe there is a secret lab in Copertino where some IT pro's are testing the Hackintosh ?

Am I drunk or crazy ?

I think the real question now is this:

Why does Apple appear to be tolerating Psystar?

What is going on?

I agree, Psystar is using and profiting from someone else effort, but perhaps, will show Apple that the days of locked hardware are over and that Apple is missing a great chance to make more money and market share, since Vista is making MS vulnerable.

Psystar is retarded. Its as simple as that. Psytar Stealing code from Netkas, and doing all that sought of stuff, just tells Apple that its time to act and expand their Mac OS X for mainstream users that use a PC.

Lord Orville Pot... maybe apple owns Psystar?

Did anyone notice how loud the psu was?....... It sounded like a fighter jet was on that guy's dining room table! No big shock, the case is a cheapie....

Im not sure that it was the PSU, it seemed to quiet down near the end of the video.

i am not Psy... fan but i don think thay stole netkas Code. Netkas did not write PC EFI by himself, it is an effort of many users. Second, netkas has not made his EULA or his statemant until, he saw that he could earn some money.

I respect his work, he continue to lead OSX86, but all OSX86 work has been made by entire community, not just Netkas.

We all made same sort of effort contributing to all this what we have acchived.

Esspacialy Maxxuss

I think Apple should legalize OSX on PC, it is possible, And he could earn some monney.

Sorry for English.

Im not sure that it was the PSU, it seemed to quiet down near the end of the video.

You heard the pitch? Sounded like a really loud CPU cooler to me. PSU and case fans don't run that kind of rpm. They probably bought those cheap and loud Nexus or Dynatron garbage. You can be sure they're not using Intel coolers because they're buying big lots of OEMs, so they are using something really cheap and sh*tty.

I hope Psystar wins the possible case which Apple may or may not bring to the table. If Psystar wins I could buy one of their awesome computers and finally be able to experience "the apple experience" and not have to put up with defragging my hardrive, worrying about viruses, etc...

Netkas doesn't even own EFI all of the work put into OSX 86 isn't copyrighted its all open source code so Psystar owns now credit to anyone except the Insanely Mac Community. So people please hope they win because people like me who want to try OSX can do that and enjoy it. Although I would most likely not buy a imac or any mac computer(80% mark up+loyalties+tax= me not wanting to buy a mac for many reasons).

vaporATX,

After having seen your signature, I would like to ask where you bought your Aqua NBridge cooler and is it NSB-4a ? I had locate one dealer in NL (I am from Belgium), but the link is dead and another dealer in Nl is out of stock.