Intel Core i7 980X 3.33Ghz (Gulftown) Extreme Edition (Socket LGA1366)

36 posts in this topic

Just confirming that the 980x is NOT OOB compatible. Ruined my OSx86... :(

Doe anyone has a link to a working 980x working hackintosh setup? And what does NOT OOB COMPATIBLE actually means?

I have a fully working 4 Ghz Overclocked Core i7 920, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, EVGA 1GB 9800GT hackintosh setup. Kakewalk method. Absolutely everything works. As this was my first step to see if I could pull off a stable hackintosh, I am now ready to take the plunge and go for a hexacore 980x.

But for the life of me I haven't been able to find on this forum or on the web, a link to a 980x hackintosh.

Will osx just work if I just replace the cpu with the 980x?

I'm doing 3D animation, so I can use all the CPU-power I can get my hands on. The 980x would be a good investment for me, but I don't want to burn 1000 $ for it to be useless with hackintosh. I don't work with windows.

Doe anyone has a link to a working 980x working hackintosh setup? And what does NOT OOB COMPATIBLE actually means?

I have a fully working 4 Ghz Overclocked Core i7 920, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, EVGA 1GB 9800GT hackintosh setup. Kakewalk method. Absolutely everything works. As this was my first step to see if I could pull off a stable hackintosh, I am now ready to take the plunge and go for a hexacore 980x.

But for the life of me I haven't been able to find on this forum or on the web, a link to a 980x hackintosh.

I'm doing 3D animation, so I can use all the CPU-power I can get my hands on. The 980x would be a good investment for me, but I don't want to burn 1000 $ for it to be useless with hackintosh. I don't work with windows.

See this:

Scope (_PR)

{

Processor (CPU0, 0x00, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (CPU1, 0x01, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (CPU2, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (CPU3, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (CPU4, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (CPU5, 0x05, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (CPU6, 0x06, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (CPU7, 0x07, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

}

its from the DSDT so in order to use those extra cores there needs to be some changes for OSX to know that they exist and also in the kernel. So yes, a universal kernel might work but you still need to get the DSDT patched and with an updated BIOS to run the 980X. You would also need to extract the DSDT with it installed via Windows or Linux and recompile a new DSDT then its a 50/50 chance that it might work with the mach_kernel in SL 10.6.3

That would be great if you figured out how to do it.

See this:

Scope (_PR)

{

Processor (CPU0, 0x00, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (CPU1, 0x01, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (CPU2, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (CPU3, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (CPU4, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (CPU5, 0x05, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (CPU6, 0x06, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (CPU7, 0x07, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

}

its from the DSDT so in order to use those extra cores there needs to be some changes for OSX to know that they exist and also in the kernel. So yes, a universal kernel might work but you still need to get the DSDT patched and with an updated BIOS to run the 980X. You would also need to extract the DSDT with it installed via Windows or Linux and recompile a new DSDT then its a 50/50 chance that it might work with the mach_kernel in SL 10.6.3

That would be great if you figured out how to do it.

Thanks for the precise and knowledgeable explanation. It's definitely not plug and play. Will wait out until the hexacore mac-pros will come out. At least OSX will be tailormade for them by then. I'm not going to take the plunge now. Too many odds against me, at the moment. :)

Thanks for the precise and knowledgeable explanation. It's definitely not plug and play. Will wait out until the hexacore mac-pros will come out. At least OSX will be tailormade for them by then. I'm not going to take the plunge now. Too many odds against me, at the moment. :D

why should apple use hexacore? they are already using 2x quadcore xeon nehalems = 8 cores with htt = 16

• 2 weeks later...

OOB = Out of Box

I'm also curious to see if anyone has a working Hackintosh with a 980x. I'm looking to build a system with it.

• 3 weeks later...
OOB = Out of Box

I'm also curious to see if anyone has a working Hackintosh with a 980x. I'm looking to build a system with it.

The gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 is Gulftown compatible (with bios update) so it would be a good rig to try it out. I am interested too but would like to see if it works before throwing away $1000!

The gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 is Gulftown compatible (with bios update) so it would be a good rig to try it out. I am interested too but would like to see if it works before throwing away $1000!

Is the UD5 not 980X compatible? Or how about one of Asus's new Mobo's. The P6X58D or the Rampage III Extreme. Although it does seem like Gigabyte is more common in the Hackintosh world.

Either way, I'm still waiting on updated Graphics Cards support. I can't imagine building a rig with a $1000 processor and a great mobo and putting in a 9800GT or even a GTS240. I want one of the new GTS 400's or a HD5xxx series.

Is the UD5 not 980X compatible? Or how about one of Asus's new Mobo's. The P6X58D or the Rampage III Extreme. Although it does seem like Gigabyte is more common in the Hackintosh world.

Either way, I'm still waiting on updated Graphics Cards support. I can't imagine building a rig with a $1000 processor and a great mobo and putting in a 9800GT or even a GTS240. I want one of the new GTS 400's or a HD5xxx series.

UD5 is i7-980x compatible after updating the BiOS. But still need to change Bus ratio and modify DSDT.

I have GTX260 and it works OOB and it is a very nice card.

I have not tried the 980x myself yet. Still waiting for someone to post DSDT. My DSDT modding skills are weak.

P

UD5 is i7-980x compatible after updating the BiOS. But still need to change Bus ratio and modify DSDT.

I have GTX260 and it works OOB and it is a very nice card.

I have not tried the 980x myself yet. Still waiting for someone to post DSDT. My DSDT modding skills are weak.

P

I'm holding my breath waiting for a build guide on the 980x as well. This would be my first Hackintosh, but I'm looking to build a power rig for video editing and running multiple VMWare instances concurrently for software testing.

Please be sure to post anything you may find elsewhere here, and I'll do the same.

Incidentally, have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeKks25S4bI

That guy has a system running with a W3680, the server equivalent of the i7-980x. That looks promising.

THe i7-980X has been working since day 1. You just need to do a little work.

I have it running on a P6T LGA motherboard. You need to:

1. Have a DSDT that allows up to 12 threads.

2. Use the Qoopz kernel

3. Force -64bit (if you are using more than 4GBs of RAM)

4. Specify the busratio.

Hopefully 10.6.4 will change that, but unless you have an integrated 10.6.4 image, you will still have to do these steps upon first setup.

It overclocks nicely to 4.3GHz on air, but I can't get it stable any higher without using less RAM. I have a feeling the 24GBs of RAM I have are working the memory controller a bit much. Great CPU, and my Cinebench scores are a good 10% higher than 8-core/16-threaded Mac Pros.

Oh, and it does all this with an idle temp of 28C. This is the best Extreme Edition CPU that Intel has ever made. Of course, once the $550ish hex-cores come out in a quarter those will make this a much less efficient choice. You don't really need the unlocked multipler since it overclocks to 200 FSB anyway.

THe i7-980X has been working since day 1. You just need to do a little work.

I have it running on a P6T LGA motherboard. You need to:

1. Have a DSDT that allows up to 12 threads.

2. Use the Qoopz kernel

3. Force -64bit (if you are using more than 4GBs of RAM)

4. Specify the busratio.

Can you please help me install SL

my spec are:

PU: Intel i7 980x @ 4.3GHz (liquid cooled)

MOBO: Asus P6x58D Premium

RAM: 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz

GPU: Nvidia GTX 260

HDs: 2 SSDs in RAID 0 120GB, 1 WD Velociraptor 600GB Sata III and 1TB for back up.

Optical Drive: DVD/CD Blue-Ray

I tried various bootloaders, some commands works then it either get stuck or the system restarts. Couldn't find a DSDT that allows 12 threads, can you send me a copy of the one you used? Also how do I force -64bit

Sorry I'm a newbie with hackintosh

maleorderbide: Congratulations, this is great news to have 980x/osx operating! I have been looking for proof of this for a while, and you may provide the first credible report. I have 980x and P6T Deluxe ready to set up.

Could you please share with us more details:

What settings did you use in the BIOS?

Can you post your DSDT file, or section referring to 12 threads?

Can you link to the particular kernel used?

Please indicate the busratio value and option to force the 64bit.

Which bootloader was used?

Can you post your "About this mac" window, just for fun.

Will really appreciate your info.

:whistle: