The Official Asus F3 Series Notebook Thread - Leopard!

antaholics

703 posts in this topic

Asus f3SV, modified BIOS v. 208.

Have same problem — flashing "_" and nothing. Sometimes Leopard boots from DVD (or boots installer, random :D), but instructions from the link doesn't help (and, when i enter "flag 3" it says me smth like "Can't take exclusive access for drive, changes will appear after restart", then "y", exit, reboot and same sh*t, nothing happens).

And where i can download virginizer? Kalyway 10.5.1 modification looks ugly. How i can revert original interface look?

Sorry for my runglish :(

Thanks!

You have to make sure your HD is unmounted when you follow those instructions, if it's telling you that it can't get exclusive access.

as undefined said, there should be a virginizer link in the tutorial (always read!! :P)

it's told in the tutorial, Visje. after you download both modded and original and put them to a folder, press f4 at startup, then just find something like update bios, browse to your folder and flash! the process looks pretty scary, but it should all work.

there is a link for virginizer thread in the tutorial, also there's kalyway's reply in this thread which contains the link to kalyway's virginizer

I believe the key for F3SV is F2 :lol:

please help

8400m g, don't work with projector or external display (vga)

edit: kalyway 10.5.2

wrong thread? lol

Sorry I can't help you, but I don't have any projectors or external displays to try

try posting in the gfx driver thread.

i will give the people a warning about modified BIOS's, i never use them, don't need them, theres other ways to fix the problems, you can how can i say it f*cken roast your laptop by screwing up your BIOS, you do it the wrong way or BIOS update is corrupt then you will have to buy yourself a new laptop if not under warranty.

If i was you i wouldnt use a modified BIOS.

josh

@atlee,

you're lucky the F3JP works with both cores without the modified BIOS mod. others with newer F3 series aren't so lucky.

@mucsoo,

up to the point where I was still keeping track with the modified BIOS thread, everyone's BIOS was working except for the MSI boards and maybe other mobos... but not the Asus laptops.

As with flashing your bios, there is always a chance that you will get a bad flash... even with ASUS bios... but regarding the modified BIOS, I believe it should be quite reliable.

Guest undefined

my hd tv worked great after plugging it to dvi port.

its hard to roast your laptop while flashing, its even hard to find any examples over the internets!

and i believe you can restore your bios, since i tried to update my mobile phone's firmware and it failed, but it was repaired for free.

and antaholics - i meant f4 for easy flash utility, not for bios setup :D

You have to make sure your HD is unmounted when you follow those instructions, if it's telling you that it can't get exclusive access.

Yes, HD is unmounted before. Same result :D

I'll try to use fixmbr, then install Acronis Disk Director and use it's bootloader. XP's diskpart says me, that it couldn't write MBR, i don't know, why. Possible i need to reset bios settings…

Yes, HD is unmounted before. Same result :hysterical:

I'll try to use fixmbr, then install Acronis Disk Director and use it's bootloader. XP's diskpart says me, that it couldn't write MBR, i don't know, why. Possible i need to reset bios settings…

__etc --> some harddrives are firmware locked so you cannot write to them unless your inside an OS, don't know why just some auto lock.

josh

Yes, HD is unmounted before. Same result -_-

if you were doing it in DVD disk utility, try single user mode (dont do fsck -uw /)... if you were using single user mode, try DVD disk utility

boot from the DVD and follow instructions outlined in the link i posted. hopefully that will do the trick :blink:

Thanks @antaholics,,now I can boot to OS X using darwin bootloader...

now I still got problem..when I boot to OS X,,I got hang on apply logo and can't enter to OS X...

I try using cpus=1 -v,,also can't...

but when I try -x -v -legaxy,it can...it just safe mode,,it's right???

how to solve hang startup problem???/

Thanks @antaholics,,now I can boot to OS X using darwin bootloader...

now I still got problem..when I boot to OS X,,I got hang on apply logo and can't enter to OS X...

I try using cpus=1 -v,,also can't...

but when I try -x -v -legaxy,it can...it just safe mode,,it's right???

how to solve hang startup problem???/

wat does it say when you use cpus=1 -v? can you post your notebook specs?

wat does it say when you use cpus=1 -v? can you post your notebook specs?

when I type cpus=1 -v,,,,can't startup...hang in apply logo...

notebook specs..

Lenovo y410

intel core 2 duo 1.83Ghz

intel GMA 950 X3100

RAM 2gg

160gg Harddisk...

You guys have to try the new Kalyway 10.5.2 install DVD. It's got almost everything. Batery meter, ACPI, ATI, GeForce drivers, the works. Sweet install!
jjduro What did you do to get battery meter, etcetera working? Did you upgrade as I did? Or a kalyway 10.5.2 clean install?

I got exactly the same laptop than you (asus f3jc). I installed kalyway 10.5.1 and then upgraded to 10.5.2 woth the comboupdate + vanilla kernel 9.2 and right now everything working except wireless (I should replace the 3945abg…), card reader and webcam (thanks to taruga for the develpment and to you for the howto that you wrote in some post along this topic).

when I type cpus=1 -v,,,,can't startup...hang in apply logo...

notebook specs..

Lenovo y410

intel core 2 duo 1.83Ghz

intel GMA 950 X3100

RAM 2gg

160gg Harddisk...

if you -v.. it should boot in verbose mode and show you the error message... with apple logo, we can't really tell you what is wrong.

jjduro What did you do to get battery meter, etcetera working? Did you upgrade as I did? Or a kalyway 10.5.2 clean install?

I got exactly the same laptop than you (asus f3jc). I installed kalyway 10.5.1 and then upgraded to 10.5.2 woth the comboupdate + vanilla kernel 9.2 and right now everything working except wireless (I should replace the 3945abg…), card reader and webcam (thanks to taruga for the develpment and to you for the howto that you wrote in some post along this topic).

he said Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD... it's a seperate one.

if you -v.. it should boot in verbose mode and show you the error message... with apple logo, we can't really tell you what is wrong.

so, u have idea to solve this problem???

when I setting before install,,just I tick boot efi mbr,,I didn't tick anything...

I have try using -v,,,cpus=1 -v...but I can boot by safe mode using -x -v -legacy...

so, u have idea to solve this problem???

when I setting before install,,just I tick boot efi mbr,,I didn't tick anything...

I have try using -v,,,cpus=1 -v...but I can boot by safe mode using -x -v -legacy...

I just said I don't know, if you can't give me an error message.

If you boot with cpus=1 -v, the computer will display all the startup messages and NOT the apple logo!!

Please tell me what startup is hanging at.

I did a clean install and check the power management option.

I've replaced the ABG3945 wifi card, for an Airport card - Broadcom chip.

So, the status is: No card reader and no webcam. Everything else works great.

It's working!!!

I've loaded the modified bios and the installer loaded without any flags!

With the origi bios it couldn't load with even cpus=1 -x -v!

Windows is still bootable, it seems, that everything works with the new bios in Windows without any modifications.

Thank you antaholics :angel:

Now I have 2 problems:

- The "Line out" does not work, only the internal speakers.

- I cannot use sleep function.

I'll try to read after it.

Yaay :)

I did a clean install and check the power management option.

I've replaced the ABG3945 wifi card, for an Airport card - Broadcom chip.

So, the status is: No card reader and no webcam. Everything else works great.

Thanks jjduro! When you talk about the power management option you mean the links pointed on 1st post?

Battery meter

SpeedStep (10.5.1 and 10.5.2)

Did you also installed a modified BIOS? Did you change somethign in the BIOS settings?

Thanks again!!!! :P

Guest undefined

mucsoo - could you please compare your wifi card's model shown on a sticker under the keyboard with model in windows' device manager?

Thanks jjduro! When you talk about the power management option you mean the links pointed on 1st post?

Battery meter

SpeedStep (10.5.1 and 10.5.2)

Did you also installed a modified BIOS? Did you change somethign in the BIOS settings?

Thanks again!!!! :D

No.

I'm talking about the options available on the 10.5.2 Kalyway's install DVD. I'm not using speedstep.

If you like I'll send you the battery management files. Give an email.

I did not need to install the modified bios, since both cores on the F3Jc work fine.

I just said I don't know, if you can't give me an error message.

If you boot with cpus=1 -v, the computer will display all the startup messages and NOT the apple logo!!

Please tell me what startup is hanging at.

I try to take picture the startup messages on cpus=1 -v,but I think difficult for u to read...

so I just write some code I think important.

AppleHDA controller : Start error no layout -id found

gfx0 : family specify matching fails

display: family specify matching fails

AppleHDA : next failed to load, unable to locate layout id property

I try to update other messages,which is important...difficult to write the message,,because the messages so fast..

sorry before :) ,thank you for reply

I try to take picture the startup messages on cpus=1 -v,but I think difficult for u to read...

so I just write some code I think important.

AppleHDA controller : Start error no layout -id found

gfx0 : family specify matching fails

display: family specify matching fails

AppleHDA : next failed to load, unable to locate layout id property

I try to update other messages,which is important...difficult to write the message,,because the messages so fast..

sorry before :) ,thank you for reply

those are sound and video drivers... they shouldn't be the ones making your boot hang.

can you tell me what lines your start up is hanging at (what line(s) startup stops at)? a picture would be really nice (try using the camera's focus on the screen).

@MUCSOO

did you try appleHDA? it could solve the line-out issue. back up your appleazalia.kext first. :)

@undefined: both says Intel Wifi Link 4965 AGN

@antaholics: I tried AppleHDA, and it works! Except when there is no sound for about a minute, the sound card goes to sleep or I don't know, but if the system plays a sound there is a LOUD "CLICK" before the sound. Scary ^_^ Can I get rid off this somehow?

Also, I had a few KP's when I played around in the OS, but after that, I did not see anything in the system.log.

hi,

does anyone got a asus F3Sc? (c2d T7250@2Ghz / Mobile Intel PM965 Express / NVIDIA GeForce 8400M G)

I tryed to install the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD. But i get stuck at the beginning of the set up, even if i use cpus=1.

I've seen that it's working for some people who got a F3Sc. I'm wondering what im doing wrong.

Anyway, i haven't tryed to install a tweaked bios, because the bios flasher utility is only working for vista, and im using xp. :)