The Official Asus F3 Series Notebook Thread - Leopard!

antaholics

703 posts in this topic

I don't know how EU customs works, but I know they ship in paper parcels (lined with bubble wrap of course), sent as "gifts". lol

anyways, we are going off topic :)

in case people didn't check the LAN thread, there's a new version of the driver available that functions at full speed. I haven't tried it yet (I don't go on OS X as often now).

antaholics: I managed to get kalyway 10.5.1 installed without a hitch. Your instructions were very good. I'm glad you attached pics to your tutorial - very helpful. I got following pieces of hardware working:

1. bluetooth - working but if i turn off i don't know how to turn on other than rebooting

2. audio - i installed the AppleHDA patch and it's all good

3. ram - 3 GBs are present in memory

4. cpu - 2 cores are functioning

5. video card - installed the nvinject installer. display is running at 1280x800

6. usbs are working

7. dvd player is working - watched matrix in HD x264 1080p..a little strutting..

6. i didn't test the 8 in 1 reader, wireless, ethernet, camera,firewire

Quick questions/comments:

1. i installed the battery meter patch but i didn't see any icon on screen

2. when i shutdown my computer from the desktop, my computer screen is black but i still here my fans spinning at low speed. i have to do a hard reset.

3. can i install retail software on this OS (Kalyway 10.5.1) and update OSX via Apple.com?

4. I noticed that you have the ethernet working on your machine (awesome). i d/l'ed the .zip from your signature but there weren't any clear instructions on how to install other than this:

DaemonES wrote-

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AttansicL1Ethernet.kext

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

sudo reboot

where do i copy all of the files from the .zip? do i copy to /system/library/extensions/ folder?

thanks again..

tut126

After you install battery metre patched file, chown and chmod the files, repaired permissions

Goto System preferences -->Energy Saver-->Options-->Tick show battery status in bar

Shutdown will be fixed with Kalyway's 10.5.2 combo update with the new kernel

Also for the AttansicL1Ethernet.kext file, copy that kext to your Extensions folder then in terminal

sudo -s

enter your pass

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AttansicL1Ethernet.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AttansicL1Ethernet.kext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

diskutil repairpermissions /

or use kexthelper to install kext, but you still need to repair permissions

Retail update via apple, ANSWER=NO, always will have to do it the manual way or via Kalyway, JAS, release packaged updates.

If you know what you are doing and what files to backup and replace then yes you can do it via apple update.

josh

wat atlee said is correct. the only thing to add is you might have to dig around for the AttansicL1Ethernet.kext.. I believe the folder is something like /build/release or soemthing.

also, credits go to undefined for the photos ;)

Guest undefined

ah, does kalyway's 10.5.2 fixes the shutdown? i have to reboot and turn off when bios loads, i think its the safest method :P

and since 10.5.2 fixes it and i can't update it without screwing my computer, i believe i'll have to get a new release.

i think that you should update guide, to 10.5.2 kalyway release, because it have preinstalled speedstep, nvinjects, natits, battery meter and other things that now we have install after installation

Guest undefined

well, ill download the 10.5.2 and describe results. i just dont know which kernel and which options should i select

I've selected speedstep kernel, installed generic smbios, all chipset drivers, no video or audio (it isn't working anyway), powermanagement_bundle (it works fine) and some 3rd party apps, and it works fine, just after install i got hfs error, so repaired bootloader, booted to vista, and in easybcd selected "repaird hfs partition error" and it works very very very fine!

pinclusss,

if its not a lot of work, could you upload the kalyway 10.5.2 kernel so people can get speedstep AND shutdown? personally i haven't been able to get shutdown to work, I have to hold down the power button to do it.

Ant

hmm is that the reason? I used to get KP on shutdown with appleHDA, now it's resorted to the spinning fan with screen off and no KP. lol I guess there's good things that come out of not having sound too ;) jk jk

edit: thanks for the link undefined, i'll check it out ;)

Guest undefined

no way, that ain't applehda! i had the same with azalia, with hda or without anything.

and what link are you talking about, ant? :) i didn't put any links to illegal software.

I thought that shutdown issue was related to the kernel. that why there is a netka's kernel with that problem fixed http://netkas.org/?p=57

I think

It seems that on dual cores, when the shutdown command is given, one of the cores keeps running which keeps the computer from shutting down properly

Guest undefined

i installed the 10.5.2 without any problems. and it installs faster too! i selected kabyl's kernel and shutdown is working!

i had some issues with bootloader - i couldn't repair hfs+ error neither by easybcd or using set id=af. however, after uninstalling macdrive and reinstalling leopard i had a bootloader out of the box - never had it before.

After you install battery metre patched file, chown and chmod the files, repaired permissions

Goto System preferences -->Energy Saver-->Options-->Tick show battery status in bar

Shutdown will be fixed with Kalyway's 10.5.2 combo update with the new kernel

Also for the AttansicL1Ethernet.kext file, copy that kext to your Extensions folder then in terminal

sudo -s

enter your pass

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AttansicL1Ethernet.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AttansicL1Ethernet.kext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

diskutil repairpermissions /

or use kexthelper to install kext, but you still need to repair permissions

Retail update via apple, ANSWER=NO, always will have to do it the manual way or via Kalyway, JAS, release packaged updates.

If you know what you are doing and what files to backup and replace then yes you can do it via apple update.

josh

josh - your instructions were great. I have my ethernet connection working. I can't believe how powerful thes asus machines really are. I have an acer ferrari 4000 and i thought that was fast.

I saw the link that "undefined" attached re: Kalyway's 10.5.2 new kernel from tpb. Would i just double click to install the latest kernel package or is it a terminal based install like the ethernet patch i just installed.

thanks again josh

tut126 :P

Guest undefined

jjduro is right - and you don't even have to use anything to return factory appearance.

josh - you have to install kalyway 10.5.2 comboupdate to install 10.5.2 kernels i think, but you may screw the installation as i did. you better leave it 10.5.1 if shutdown works for you.

no idea, I haven't been able to go on OS X much for the following reasons:

1. I am getting busy with exams, which will be over in 2 weeks

2. I LOVE WLM (well not LOVE, but like the features and MSN plus), and I HATE Adium, which killed my contact list

3. I use my computer MOSTLY for MSN, music, downloading, firefox, Word 07, Photoshop, and possibly Premiere coming up

4. Premiere on Macs can't export to .avi, which I find a huge drag. (anyone know how to fix or work around?)

5. my SpeedStep broke the other day and caused crashing... I fixed the crashing but not the SpeedStep (got lazy to reinstall it)

6. Vista x64 FLIES with 4GB of RAM (with paging turned off :D), and IMO looks nicer. I have been able to optimize it to run perfectly :rolleyes: In fact, I feel the system is sometimes a bit more responsive than OS X (mainly due to Superfetching... launching WMP, uTorrent, and Word07 all in 1 second or less, and Photoshop all loaded in 10 seconds flat)... although both are running pretty fast for me.

I'll try to still help out here though.

Is there a way to install Kalyway's 10.5.2 without having to redo all the applications, etc? I have 60+ apps that I'd hate to reinstall lol. I might still obtain it to install on the build I'm working on in the next few months :)