The Official Asus F3 Series Notebook Thread - Leopard!

antaholics

703 posts in this topic

Guest undefined

there is a msn for mac from windows :) its nearly the same, but it looks much better and it doesnt have any ads. it loads slowly tho.

Yes, MSN for mac is "prettier", unfortunally it's too damn slow - all IM programs that use the MSN protocol are -, you don't get offline messages, you can't talk to people if you are offline... Which means Microsoft has done a good just.. to a certain point. And it's about time Microsoft did someting about it.

:(

there is a msn for mac from windows :P its nearly the same, but it looks much better and it doesnt have any ads. it loads slowly tho.

no idea, I haven't been able to go on OS X much for the following reasons:1. I am getting busy with exams, which will be over in 2 weeks2. I LOVE WLM (well not LOVE, but like the features and MSN plus), and I HATE Adium, which killed my contact list3. I use my computer MOSTLY for MSN, music, downloading, firefox, Word 07, Photoshop, and possibly Premiere coming up4. Premiere on Macs can't export to .avi, which I find a huge drag. (anyone know how to fix or work around?)5. my SpeedStep broke the other day and caused crashing... I fixed the crashing but not the SpeedStep (got lazy to reinstall it)6. Vista x64 FLIES with 4GB of RAM (with paging turned off :D), and IMO looks nicer. I have been able to optimize it to run perfectly :( In fact, I feel the system is sometimes a bit more responsive than OS X (mainly due to Superfetching... launching WMP, uTorrent, and Word07 all in 1 second or less, and Photoshop all loaded in 10 seconds flat)... although both are running pretty fast for me.I'll try to still help out here though.Is there a way to install Kalyway's 10.5.2 without having to redo all the applications, etc? I have 60+ apps that I'd hate to reinstall lol. I might still obtain it to install on the build I'm working on in the next few months :P
Ant, MSN is good for mac except for webcam and mic chat, but most osx86's cant get a webcam to work anyway, also yes there is a way to export to avi but you need to download plugins, also Leopard is a x64 system, so slap 4gb in it and see how much leopard flys, which i will be doing shortly with Corsair ram.You should use nothing but Mac for Creative suite software from Adobe, Mac's are designed purely for the Multimedia design in mind, i myself and doing a design degree in college, I use Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign/Fireworks/Dreamweaver and Flash, these programs work wonderfully, personally mac's operating system outruns Windows when using design software by a huge gap.Just a few notes :)josh
jjduro is right - and you don't even have to use anything to return factory appearance.josh - you have to install kalyway 10.5.2 comboupdate to install 10.5.2 kernels i think, but you may screw the installation as i did. you better leave it 10.5.1 if shutdown works for you.
Undefined not me mate lol, i already have Kalyway 10.5.2 installed along with 9.2 Kernal (Vanilla):)
Is there a way to install Kalyway's 10.5.2 without having to redo all the applications, etc? I have 60+ apps that I'd hate to reinstall lol. I might still obtain it to install on the build I'm working on in the next few months :)
Ant, you dont need to reinstall everything using the new disc, open 10.5.2 install dvd, then they have all the install packages, just install some files manually which havent been installed yet, not much will change except for kernel files etcjosh

looks like it's time to open up the MSN client debate!! :) jk jk

I don't like MSN for Macs because:

1. it's SLOW

2. no webcam (I tend to use this often enough that without it, MSN kinda sucks)

3. no search function, which is about the only way I can quickly find someone on my 200+ contact list (groups help to a certain extent)

4. no MSN plus and its boundless array of features :) (tabbed chat, namely)

5. no tabbed chats (killer lack of feature)

6. no offline messaging both ways

I hate Adium because:

1. it's a freakin duck!! lol jk :P

2. no webcam

3. no personal messages (killer lack of feature)

4. sending files is unstable

5. no search function

6. no offline messaging (I don't use it, but I don't think it's there)

7. sometimes it pops up 100's of mesages telling me something about local and server contact list being different (it's not), and attempts to duplicate my ENTIRE contact list... I ended up losing a bunch of contacts and having to use WLM to add them back...

When I used OS X a while ago, I sometimes booted up a XP vmware to run WLM, so I can get my tabbed chats, webcam, and personal msgs... but vmware's fusion doesn't work as clean as native apps, lags my computer sometimes, and 512MB for MSN is a little too much :P

Personally, Photoshop is the same to me either way, Windows or OS X.. and I'm not a heavy user so it's not a huge deal to me... same with Premiere (I've only used it once or twice).

I am aware that Leopard is 64-bit, and it recognizes all 4GB of my memory, and I do get a performance boost from 4GB, but it still doesn't feel as snappy as Windows x64 with 4GB (2GB Leopard felt smoother than Vista x32 w/ Asus-ware though). On top of that, Vista's superfetch makes apps load SO much faster, and with paging turned off, apps loading from HD is a lot faster too. The only thing I'd complain about is loading startup items take a while... but that's partly my own fault for installing so many apps that run on startup (just like many windows users do lol).. I cleared out a bunch of them and now it's not too bad. :P

That said, it's hard to beat Expose with 3rd party Windows apps :P

Would someone like to point me to a plug-in for Mac Adobe Premiere CS3 .avi exporting? :(

Guest undefined
Undefined not me mate lol, i already have Kalyway 10.5.2 installed along with 9.2 Kernal (Vanilla)B)
oh, sorry :D i meant tut126. could those kernel issues be caused by modded bios? i'm trying some others now.netkas 10.5.2 kernel from nvinject installation helped me :P shutdown works now, but sleep doesn't. i dont care about sleep though, im really happy. i hope 10.5.3 won't be released tomorrow...

Hi I'm new and I'm from Italy.

Anyone with asus f3sr? Mine has an ati hd2400 and when I boot without flags it show only a blank blue screen (if i load natit, or a fuzzy screen with original kext).

The only way to boot is to boot with -x.

Any solution?

(i'm sorry for my bad english :P )

Hi I'm new and I'm from Italy.

Anyone with asus f3sr? Mine has an ati hd2400 and when I boot without flags it show only a blank blue screen (if i load natit, or a fuzzy screen with original kext).

The only way to boot is to boot with -x.

Any solution?

(i'm sorry for my bad english :D )

boot with -x, and delete ATIRadeonX2000.kext, if you have external display, so then install natit, connect ir on vga (not dvi), btw your sound works?

Sorry,if Out of topic..

I got problem installation kalyway on laptop lenovo y410

specification

intel core 2 duo 1.83Ghz

intel gma 950 x3100

160 hdd

2gg RAM...

when i type cpus=1 -v,, DVD can't go to installation process...So i just type -v,, can finish installation.. but my problem,,,I can't boot to darwin after restart...just black screen...anyone can solve my problem...

Hello,

I've tried "KALYWAY LEOPARD 10.5.1 intel SSE2 and SSE3" on a F3SC notebook. I have BIOS ver. 208.

The installer now runs fine but booting from HDD does not work. It stucks (as always) at the line

Using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers.

The same with cpus=1, -x, -v, whatever :D

What should I do?

have you tried a modified BIOS?

if not, it *should* still boot with cpus=1 -v flags... =/

It's not the modified one.

I tried to boot from DVD with the rd=disk1s0 option to replace the ACPI kexts and now it says still waiting for root device.

Sorry,if Out of topic..

I got problem installation kalyway on laptop lenovo y410

specification

intel core 2 duo 1.83Ghz

intel gma 950 x3100

160 hdd

2gg RAM...

when i type cpus=1 -v,, DVD can't go to installation process...So i just type -v,, can finish installation.. but my problem,,,I can't boot to darwin after restart...just black screen...anyone can solve my problem...

bgundal09 you should not get a blank screen, Leopard has Intel graphics drivers built-in, Intel GMA 950 is the chipset, dont need x3100 whatever that is, has nothing to do with the chipset, so x3100 will not help

Its just GMA 950. and also Leopard Kalyway supports your processor without doing boot flags its usually only the newer processor 2Ghz and above.

josh

Because Leopard recognizes my webcam as a Capture device and its Syntek Semiconductor then maybe i can get this to work, i'm playing around with the kexts now, will update on this soon.

anyway if you look on Syntek's website, under future support it says MacOS Support.

Syntek STK-1135 i think :D

josh

how did you format your HD (is it id=af and primary HFS+ partition), which DVD are you using (kalyway 10.5.1?), what settings did you choose, and what have you tried?
yes,,I set partition for OS X as id=af and primary...I'm using kalyway 10.5.1.when I install kalyway,,I set,,choose vanilla kernel and efi mbr???but..after finish installation,,reboot,,no effect,,can't boot to OS X...specificationintel core 2 duo 1.83ghzintel 965 chipsetintel GMA X31002gg RAm
bgundal09 you should not get a blank screen, Leopard has Intel graphics drivers built-in, Intel GMA 950 is the chipset, dont need x3100 whatever that is, has nothing to do with the chipset, so x3100 will not helpIts just GMA 950. and also Leopard Kalyway supports your processor without doing boot flags its usually only the newer processor 2Ghz and above.josh
Sorry,,my laptop chipset intel 965 chipset..I also try using jas 10.4.8...installation process success...my problem just can't boot to OSX,,I had set partition to id=af and active...thanks for replay

is this what you mean?

Because Leopard recognizes my webcam as a Capture device and its Syntek Semiconductor then maybe i can get this to work, i'm playing around with the kexts now, will update on this soon.

anyway if you look on Syntek's website, under future support it says MacOS Support.

Syntek STK-1135 i think :)

josh

@mucsoo

try using a modified BIOS if you don't mind flashing your BIOS... otherwise try setting your HD to IDE "compatibility" mode in BIOS... if that doesnt' work, I'd try to reinstall the DVD to get rid of "still waiting for root device"

@atlee

my OS X recognizes syntek 1135 too, but I think it's just the name the webcam is giving the OS via USB. it doesn't have driver for it. can you show me the link for the syntek website that says future support MacOS? I can't find it, but someone told me about it before.

@bgundal09

what happens when you try booting? do you get a flashing "_" or anything? have you tried reinstalling the darwin bootloader? try this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=57650

here you have it. I've known this web page for, at least two years... and it has always been like this.

Support for Mac OSX... soon... but how soon it doesn't say.

http://www.stk.com.tw/product-01.asp?Product_Type=32

I've even written to them, but never got an answer. Poor public relations probably :(

@atlee

my OS X recognizes syntek 1135 too, but I think it's just the name the webcam is giving the OS via USB. it doesn't have driver for it. can you show me the link for the syntek website that says future support MacOS? I can't find it, but someone told me about it before.

Running new kalyway kernels:

Vanilla 9.2.2 Kernel

System.kext v9.2.2

dsmos.kext v9.2.2

System responds faster, smoother :)

Both run fine with either AppleSMBIOS v1.0.12 or v1.0.13 i have tested both.

josh

yap,,after I install and reboot,,,darwin can't boot just get flashing"_"....

how to reinstall darwin bootloader???...even I can't enter OSX..

boot from the DVD and follow instructions outlined in the link i posted. hopefully that will do the trick :)

boot from the DVD and follow instructions outlined in the link i posted. hopefully that will do the trick ;)

Asus f3SV, modified BIOS v. 208.

Have same problem — flashing "_" and nothing. Sometimes Leopard boots from DVD (or boots installer, random :D), but instructions from the link doesn't help (and, when i enter "flag 3" it says me smth like "Can't take exclusive access for drive, changes will appear after restart", then "y", exit, reboot and same sh*t, nothing happens).

And where i can download virginizer? Kalyway 10.5.1 modification looks ugly. How i can revert original interface look?

Sorry for my runglish :)

Thanks!

i wouldnt use virginizer as its 3rd party, best to keep the kalyway 10.5.1 look, if you read there readme file it actually tells you how to disable the orange background in finder.

josh

Hi!, i am new here and i'm using the Asus F3Sv.

my bios version is 206 and the installation runs fine. but after the i buffer headers and eboot, only a white screen with apple sign appears. and when i boot with -v, it stops with the line: using 100485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers.

I do not have the modified bios, beacause i don't know how to do it. can someone tell me how to install the modiefied bios?

Guest undefined

it's told in the tutorial, Visje. after you download both modded and original and put them to a folder, press f4 at startup, then just find something like update bios, browse to your folder and flash! the process looks pretty scary, but it should all work.

there is a link for virginizer thread in the tutorial, also there's kalyway's reply in this thread which contains the link to kalyway's virginizer