ATI IXP ATA Driver repost

scousi

66 posts in this topic

I am also using a DV5000 series laptop, the ML-32 version, with the Xpress 200m chipset. I used the guide from http://www.osx86.theplaceforitall.com/howto/ and the Deadmoo image referred to in the guide. The image works fine, mounts in OSX on a G4 laptop. What I've done thus far is add the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext to the /System/Library/Extensions folder, both as AppleOnboardPCATA.kext and AppleGenericPCATA.kext. I also have tried replacing the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext within the IODATAFamily.kext kext. I have not tried putting the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext in the IODATAFamily.kext kext as AppleGenericPCATA.kext. Perhaps this is my problem? Or do I need to put the Generic driver in both the IODATAFamily.kext and the /Extensions folder? I'm getting an error with the ATI driver in the IODATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns as AppleOnboard that says something to the effect of "driver not compatible with superclass" and "driver has no kernel dependency"... I've read and read all over the boards, but I'm at a loss as to what I need to do.

Thanks in advance guys.

from what I remember, the deadmoo image is 10.4.1. If you downloaded that modified kext from this forum, it is probably 10.4.3. This would explain the error you're having. 10.4.1 is pretty old, you'd be better off trying 10.4.3 or later.

• 2 weeks later...

this patch works also on ATI IXP 400 ATA Controler (many thanks).

- open /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Content/Plugins

- rename AppleGenericPCATA.kext and AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext with .kext_disable

- copy AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext in plugins folder

- check the permission of this file (i.e. chown ...)

- remove Extensions.kextcache

- rebuild the kextcache

- optionaly remove the .mkext (i did it but don't know how to rebuild it :()

reboot

That's it!

Z

something strange in this patch... if you edit the plist you can see that:

<string>0x02121166 0x02131166 0x02171166 43761002</string>

43761002 in place of 0x43761002!!!! anyway it works :)

the Dual channel ATA are unsupported so you need to put an IDE disk on primary or secondary IDE...

Hi Scousi, just to let you know that the IDE Disk is really boosted by the patch but now the Internal DVD-RW IDE Drive doesn't recognize any CD or DVD inserted :)

kernel[0]: SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x08, ASCQ = 0x03

kernel[0]: disk1s3: I/O error.

any idea?

Thanks.

Z

Found this on google... I already tried all my install DVD and the official iMac-Intel 10.4.4 DVD Installer without succcess.

<< " SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x11, ASCQ = 0x05"

would seem to be:

11/05 WRO B L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR

This would seem to indicate that an error was detected on the DVD but that it couldn't be corrected for. (I'm guessing that "EC" stands for "error correction") I.e. it seems maybe there is merely some problem with that DVD.

Do you have problems only with that DVD or with all DVDs? >>

Found this on google... I already tried all my install DVD and the official iMac-Intel 10.4.4 DVD Installer without succcess.

<< " SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = 0x11, ASCQ = 0x05"

would seem to be:

11/05 WRO B L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR

This would seem to indicate that an error was detected on the DVD but that it couldn't be corrected for. (I'm guessing that "EC" stands for "error correction") I.e. it seems maybe there is merely some problem with that DVD.

Do you have problems only with that DVD or with all DVDs? >>

I'm using a DVD writer no problem with this driver. I wasn't aware that the DUAL channel didn't work. I have a laptop so I can't really swap things around to try.

One thing more Scousi, in your driver the device ID has been written without the 0x, if you check the archive you will see 43761002 and not 0x43761002???

does i need to change it or not?

Thanks.

ps. the source can be compile here: darwinsource.opendarwin.org/10.4.5.x86/ ? or where? thanks

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

first of all, thank's for making this ATI IXP PATA driver

i've got intel d101ggc motherboard using ATI X200 chipset.

after strugling for awhile, i now have 10.4.5 system running on PATA primary master hdd.

my question is is anyone using this driver able to get CDROM recognized on PATA Secondary Slave ?

PS: sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

thanks in advance for any advice

ronnyd

I'd like some info on this too. I'm running a mobo with SB400 ATA and this driver really made this thing usable, but my DVD drive on IDE2 (or the other ATA channel) shows up, but I get I/O errors anytime I try to transfer from a disc. I have two HDs on the first channel in master/slave setup and that works just fine.

I am also using a DV5000 series laptop, the ML-32 version, with the Xpress 200m chipset. I used the guide from http://www.osx86.theplaceforitall.com/howto/ and the Deadmoo image referred to in the guide. The image works fine, mounts in OSX on a G4 laptop. What I've done thus far is add the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext to the /System/Library/Extensions folder, both as AppleOnboardPCATA.kext and AppleGenericPCATA.kext. I also have tried replacing the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext within the IODATAFamily.kext kext. I have not tried putting the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext in the IODATAFamily.kext kext as AppleGenericPCATA.kext. Perhaps this is my problem? Or do I need to put the Generic driver in both the IODATAFamily.kext and the /Extensions folder? I'm getting an error with the ATI driver in the IODATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns as AppleOnboard that says something to the effect of "driver not compatible with superclass" and "driver has no kernel dependency"... I've read and read all over the boards, but I'm at a loss as to what I need to do.

Thanks in advance guys.

I HAVE exactly the same problem on 10.4.5 with the marklar-tiger.iso

is this kext universal, or made for 10.4.3? > 10.4.4? ??

if i would like to compile it myself -> where can i get the source from (darwin??)

please provide some more info :( -> i got stuck now with a vmware install on a physical partition

which is not able to boot natively

EDIT: to edit and compile the source yourself -> you can find it here ..

zappa made a more complete driver i think -> http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=13413

would be cool if you could share the source zappa!

Thanks a lot for the update kext! works like a charm, no more waiting for root device with my D101GGC mobo, however it killed my Realtek ethernet which I wouldnt think should happen.

If it were not for that it would be perfect! System loads MUCH faster now, maybe i can break a 70 in xbench now ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

when i do so , delete the AppleGenericPCATA.kext and copy the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext into Folder and delete kextcache....then the OSX boot 1x and the next boot come "Still waiting on root device". Why?

greats mhc

• 4 weeks later...

hey,

could some one please clarify to me the exact command to to rename becaues it tells me that the directory dosn't exist.

"mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGenericPCATA.kext mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGenericPCATA.kext_disabled

the place i have "AppleGenericPCATA.kext" is in System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

so im not sure how to rename it and then copy the new kext into Pluins folder

Thanks

-Tabha

Personally, I've noticed that the Turion 64 processor runs slow on OSX despite this fix. Try using OSX version 10.4.4, I found it to be relatively better compared to a 10.4.5 or .6 install but still not as responsive as on my Inspiron 5100

hi,

when i do so , delete the AppleGenericPCATA.kext and copy the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext into Folder and delete kextcache....then the OSX boot 1x and the next boot come "Still waiting on root device". Why?

greats mhc

I got the same problem....

How to solve this? ;)

• 1 month later...
hey,

could some one please clarify to me the exact command to to rename becaues it tells me that the directory dosn't exist.

"mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGenericPCATA.kext mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGenericPCATA.kext_disabled

the place i have "AppleGenericPCATA.kext" is in System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

so im not sure how to rename it and then copy the new kext into Pluins folder

Thanks

-Tabha

that command has typo in it. at this moment, i assume that u know how to log in to root user. Ahh, what the heck, i will write it here anyway, it's simple and short.

first, if u havent set ur root password you can do so by typing

"sudo passwd root"

then it will ask you for ur current password.. follow the instructions..

then, after setting the root password, u can login to root by typing

"su" << su means super user

then type the root password u just set just now (or previously set password)

the command prompt should show root at the end (saying u are in root mode)

then type this command "mv /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGenericPCATA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGenericPCATA.kext_disabled"

there was two "mv" in the typo command, it should be only 1, at the beginning of the command

• 2 weeks later...
By popular demand here is the kext for the SB400 ATA controller of the ATI x200. This is for ATA devide id 0x43761002

in xp is it possible to check the id of the controller? i'm trying to find it in the hardware section of the system panel....