Reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated...

Swad

93 posts in this topic

dont come at me with all the negativity like im a troll. ive been keeping up with this since intel was announced and ive been dreaming of it since osx was announced. im just trying to get you guys to wake up. it just seems that everyone here has such a false sense of assurance that this is all gona go down perfect, thats its already written in stone that osx is coming to pc flawlessly and that we have no need to protect it. let me tell you you need to protect this at all costs; so just use what happened as a learning experience and start over with a new mind set.

apple: if youre watching, i would PURCHASE os x for pc hardware and so would all of us if you made it possible. :)

Wow, so I was out of town this weekend - without much internet access - so needless to say, things were pretty crazy!

Our staff did a great job taking care of things while I was away (I didn't get the Apple letter until the next day, after things had already been taken down). For those interested, we have consulted lawyers in the past, which is the reason why the only things we had to remove were a few links. :dev: Based on what we've learned, we'll put in place a procedure for dealing with events such as this in the future.

Thanks, everyone, for sticking with us through this experience. If it weren't for you, we wouldn't be here. :D

you know wat amuses me, is how sites like this start out, and as soon as they get popular, they go all wussy. does anyone remember how we where going to all chip in for a developer kit so we could get teh software, so we could all run osx on our beige boxes? oh wait, isnt that what this site is about? running osx on our beige boxes? no apple doesnt like that, oh of course we arent pirates, no this site is about, um, the legitimate discussion of runing osx on non apple hardware, no we dont actually do it ourselves, no we just talk about it. gawd. so lame. grow some balls. flame me, oh mighty self rightous ones, correct my spelling, my grammar, whatever, but you know im just telling it like it is. this site was created with a specific purpose, and then went totally soft as soon as people started noticing it. this is a site about hacking osx and running it on your beige box. if its not about that then what the hell is it supposed to be about?!?!?!

this is a site about hacking osx and running it on your beige box. if its not about that then what the hell is it supposed to be about?!?!?!
Hey gutter.. where have you been the last eight month? You must have been posting under another name, no? BTW, never let them call you trash, you are better than that :D

I have always thought that this site is more about learning how OS86 works for Windows and Linux users as well as Apple PPC users rather than trying to hack OSX. 99.9% of us don't hack anything anyway.

This site serve it's function by introducing the Mac OSX to a lot of PC users who would otherwise have no idea how the Mac side of the PC computing works.

Feel free to call us 'wussy' whatever that phrase is intended to mean...

But I'd love to see you pull a bunch of lawyers out, and a huge pile of cash, and then find an ISP who won't just close you down on any possible DMCA threat.

dont come at me with all the negativity like im a troll. ive been keeping up with this since intel was announced and ive been dreaming of it since osx was announced. im just trying to get you guys to wake up. it just seems that everyone here has such a false sense of assurance that this is all gona go down perfect, thats its already written in stone that osx is coming to pc flawlessly and that we have no need to protect it. let me tell you you need to protect this at all costs; so just use what happened as a learning experience and start over with a new mind set.

apple: if youre watching, i would PURCHASE os x for pc hardware and so would all of us if you made it possible. :(

Hear Hear!!!

Apple just sell the OS.

heres the steps.

#1 make a HCL stick to it. IE these processors work and these chipsets work and these graphics cards etc...

#2 50 - 75 % of the work is already done use... Ma..... google for it and look at his code there ya go

#3 fix the rest and sell the OS within 2 years you have a huge market share!!!

#4 DON'T ALLOW ANY 3RD PARTY TO MAKE YOUR HARDWARE NO HP,DELL,IBM Mac's you want a mac then build it yourself or buy a pc with NO OS and go buy OSX but refer to step #1 therefore the hardware sells are all yours!

seriously if this went on #1 we would all have no excuse #2 Games and everything else would start paying way more in royalties..

you know wat amuses me, is how sites like this start out, and as soon as they get popular, they go all wussy. does anyone remember how we where going to all chip in for a developer kit so we could get teh software, so we could all run osx on our beige boxes? oh wait, isnt that what this site is about? running osx on our beige boxes? no apple doesnt like that, oh of course we arent pirates, no this site is about, um, the legitimate discussion of runing osx on non apple hardware, no we dont actually do it ourselves, no we just talk about it. gawd. so lame. grow some balls. flame me, oh mighty self rightous ones, correct my spelling, my grammar, whatever, but you know im just telling it like it is. this site was created with a specific purpose, and then went totally soft as soon as people started noticing it. this is a site about hacking osx and running it on your beige box. if its not about that then what the hell is it supposed to be about?!?!?!

OK so lets assume we didn't go "all wussy", we leave the links in place and ignore our webhost, the dmca notifications, and the lawyers.

Then apple goes after our webhost.

Our webhost can't be bothered with the hassel and pulls the site.

Then where would you talk about hacking os x, win2osx? oh no thats gone too...yeah very clever guttertrash!

Well, guttertrash, here's the problem.

If you were around from the beginning (which I think you were) you'd know that in the IRC channel we decided that everyone needed a place to post what they were learning about the leaked things. We started the wiki which got some press for the TPM discovery.

The spirit of all of that was to have a place to discuss what we were learning about OSx86 in general. Since not much had been leaked, all there was to discuss was hacking.

But when I started this site, I wanted to make sure it wasn't just an underground site, but that it became the place to discuss and learn about OS X on the Intel platform. Now that there is a true Mac version as well as a PC hack, there is obviously a lot more to discuss and we've grown with that.

It's not that we've become wussy - it's that we've adjusted and made changes over time like we always knew we would.

Actually, it all seems to be moot now. Here I was, all set to finish my 10.4.3 to 10.4.4 upgrade when a quick trip to a certain Site That Shall Not Be Named revealed an interesting set of cyrillic lettering and the most feared of website words.

Документ не найден

Document not found

Should have printed out the instructions yesterday.

Is the news of "HIS" demise greatly exaggerated?

Is the news of "HIS" demise greatly exaggerated?

there's another thread on that subject - he is unlikely to have gone for good.

I think the board has not gone 'wussy'. It has followed the precise policy which has allowed it to stay up and running even after the DMCA sh*t last week. That is good and I applaud the staff for keeping it that way. What a pity there are so many negative people who have to detract from a good thing.

i retract my previous statement, you are not wussy :) I was having a really bad day and decided to post some flame bait. thanks for responding in such an honest and reasonable way. :D

:) Thank you - and thanks for having the courage to post that, it's much appreciated.

We all have bad days :)

-s-

I'd like to recomfort Mr Jobs : he will continue to make a lot of money , no worry about that .

I programmed for Windows for years , and one day , I decided to buy a Mac , dual PowerPC G5 . It was a nice machine and Apple got quite a lot of money from me . I bought it one year before Apple announced they would go for Intel .That means that the life expextancy of my present Mac is quite reduced as Companies won't produce anymore software for the "old" Mac . I find that quite unfair from Apple to let people buy 2500 $ machines when they know perfectly that one year later it's going to be de facto obsolete .. but business is business .

Well, for sure , MAC OS is better , far better than .....

On the other hand I still need Windows for some applications .

That's the reason why I'm dreaming now of the perfect machine . You understood me : dual boot .

I d like to say to Apple that I am ready to spend 200 $ for an Intel compatible OS . I am not ready yet to buy a computer from them , according to what happened last year .

If they don't want to sell stand alone OS installation disks, well, I 'll try to do install it by myself .

In a way, I'm just trying to get back a part of the money I consider was "stolen" from me a year ago .

I wonder how many friends Apple will have lost as a result of their recent clampdown?

Many people on this forum and the related ones had professed a desire to buy an Intel Apple and there have been very positive polls on the subject. We've had many people say they would buy the OS discs just to support Apple, even though they are illegally running OSX on non-Apple hardware. There are lots of posts talking excitedly about the new Intel Macs, both from people who have them and people who have ordered them. That's all good and we like to see such support for Apple on this site.

That's not the whole story however. There have been darker threads and messages flying around the web. It seems that more than a few former Apple enthusiasts have shown a strong backlash against Apple for taking what they see as draconian action against what must, in all honesty, be a small minority of enthusiasts. Other places on the internet have had some truly nasty stuff, even going so far as to suggest that virus writers should start to target OSX to give Apple a bloody nose. That's reprehensible behaviour which I'm sure no-one here supports, but in my experience any strong-arm action by a big corporation results in more negatives than it does them good.

I know at least one person who has cancelled their order for a MacBook after what happened to the site last week, and is planning on building an illegal clone instead. This is a person who has probably never installed a piece of dodgy software in his life. I can't help wondering how many people will follow suit?

Well i won't be cancelling my order - i don't have a problem with Apple using all possible means to protect it's IP - i would consider it odd for a company such as Apple not to, as control of their copyrights is the basis of their and indeed any software companies business viability. The Apple lawyer was apparently very nice about it, and it's nothing personal - just business.