[Guide + Links] Simple Complete BadAxe2, GUID, efi_v8

Team Scream

72 posts in this topic

Looks like a nice guide and a natural progression from Weaksauces work.

I have a question however, I've been running Weaksauces guide sicne day one.

Which means I'm at 10.5.1 and efi 5.2

I'm curious if there is any way to upgrade to evi v8, GUID and keep all my existing setup and files and programs..

Or would I basically need to reinstall on a new partition?

Thanks

Hello Everyone,

Can anybody recommend a decent (good but not too expensive) sata hard drive for use with a BadAxe2 Hack Pro setup?

Please let me know.

Cheers!

Maconvert, it really shouldn't matter as far as the install, just what you want in a drive. Low power, quiet and average speed? Western Digital GP (green). Speed but limited storage? Raptor. Combination of all of the above? Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 series. I like www.storagereview.com for hard drive reviews, and www.silentpcreview.com for sound vs performance evaluation. Personally, I like silent machines. But I don't think the choice will affect the install process itself. Thankfully, that's one less variable to worry about.

Great guide, but it's gotten easier now

10.5.3 running perfectly here. Chose the Bad Axe 2 with the Quad q6600 because of this great guide. But it's a little out of date and it's not as difficult to get going anymore. Here's how I did it:

1. Install Kalyway 10.5.2, use lastnetkassmbios, vanilla kernel.

2. This next thing threw me for a while. System would boot with DVD in drive, but not when it was removed. Didn't get Darwin prompt at all. I discovered I have to run fdisk to make the install bootable. Do this from terminal after the new install is booted with the DVD still in the drive. Use "Step 5" from the guide.

3. Do the audio fix in the guide.

3. Install Kalyway 10.5.3, vanilla kernel.

4. Get NVinstaller v.52.pkg and install

5. Everything will be working. However, when I looked at the boot process using -v at the Darwin prompt, I saw that the PCGenUSBEHCI.kext was causing an error. Since I was able to use all USB items I tried (drives, M-Audio Transit audio interface, iLok key, etc.) I decided this was probably superfluous with 10.5.3 and I deleted it, trashed the kext cache, and there are now no errors on boot. The PCGenUSBEHCI.kext is found in /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns; use sudo rm in terminal to delete it. This is probably not necessary, but I don't like to see any errors on boot.

Everything works (motherboard audio is only stereo out, and I didn't try input or digital out, but I'd use the Transit USB for any serious recording anyway). USB audio is fine with a Skype USB handset too. Networking, Firewire, every app I own runs as expected, including Photoshop Elements, Pro Tools M-Powered, Office 2004, etc. (I don't have Final Cut). System profiler shows proper number of cores (4) and speed; it says there's no built-in audio, but that's the only error. Xbench score around 155. I'm going to start using this as a production machine.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for condensing the other extremely long thread into this extremely concise one.

I have installed over 3 times but can't get it to work with guid + efi_v80.

The only thing that does not match the reponse vs input is:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1

fdisk answers:

could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory

Enter 'help' for information

fdisk: 1>

the above underlined words dont come up rest after that does...

hope that gives you a clue...

I have managed to install via the kalyway 10.5.1 using mbr and vanilla kernel. But i want the guid and efi_v80 if possible.

thanks for your time reading this

I have exactly the same problem. I also don't get the underlined text after that command. After reboot I get a B0 error.

I've played around in Terminal and this what I've found. In the OP's instructions to make the partiton active we use the command "f Y" with y being rdiskXsY or the Leopard Partition.

In my case Y=2. However if I use the p command in fdisk (as mentioned in Rammjet's guide) to display the partiton table the only partition that has anything there is partiton 1. I changed the active partiton to 1 and after reboot I get a blinking cusor instead of the B0 error at startup.

Shouldn't the Leopard partiton info "Y" from the diskutil list match up with the partition 1 shown with the "p" command?

Great guide, but it's gotten easier now

10.5.3 running perfectly here. Chose the Bad Axe 2 with the Quad q6600 because of this great guide. But it's a little out of date and it's not as difficult to get going anymore. Here's how I did it:

1. Install Kalyway 10.5.2, use lastnetkassmbios, vanilla kernel.

2. This next thing threw me for a while. System would boot with DVD in drive, but not when it was removed. Didn't get Darwin prompt at all. I discovered I have to run fdisk to make the install bootable. Do this from terminal after the new install is booted with the DVD still in the drive. Use "Step 5" from the guide.

3. Do the audio fix in the guide.

3. Install Kalyway 10.5.3, vanilla kernel.

4. Get NVinstaller v.52.pkg and install

5. Everything will be working. However, when I looked at the boot process using -v at the Darwin prompt, I saw that the PCGenUSBEHCI.kext was causing an error. Since I was able to use all USB items I tried (drives, M-Audio Transit audio interface, iLok key, etc.) I decided this was probably superfluous with 10.5.3 and I deleted it, trashed the kext cache, and there are now no errors on boot. The PCGenUSBEHCI.kext is found in /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns; use sudo rm in terminal to delete it. This is probably not necessary, but I don't like to see any errors on boot.

Everything works (motherboard audio is only stereo out, and I didn't try input or digital out, but I'd use the Transit USB for any serious recording anyway). USB audio is fine with a Skype USB handset too. Networking, Firewire, every app I own runs as expected, including Photoshop Elements, Pro Tools M-Powered, Office 2004, etc. (I don't have Final Cut). System profiler shows proper number of cores (4) and speed; it says there's no built-in audio, but that's the only error. Xbench score around 155. I'm going to start using this as a production machine.

Hello,

I have a couple of questions:

1) What kind of video card are you using?

2) Where did you get "lastnetkassmbios"?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Hello,

I have a couple of questions:

1) What kind of video card are you using?

2) Where did you get "lastnetkassmbios"?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

"last_netkas_smbios" is under the customization options on the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD (when you're installing Leopard using Kaly, that is), I believe under the Patches section. I'd advise installing Macdotnub's SMBIOS-27 after you've installed Leopard with that netkas smbios included; I've had good success with it on my BA2:

http://my.macdotnub.info/content/view/22/26/

Just use Kexthelper to install it:

http://www.cheetha.net/Kext_Helper/Software.html

I haven't been able to get this to work after 3 attempts; whenever I reboot I am met with the blinking cursor and nothing else. I've followed the guide to a T and tried both unmounting the entire disk and then only the partition prior to the EFI install, neither seems to work.

Please advise!

I haven't been able to get this to work after 3 attempts; whenever I reboot I am met with the blinking cursor and nothing else. I've followed the guide to a T and tried both unmounting the entire disk and then only the partition prior to the EFI install, neither seems to work.

Please advise!

Have you tried using the bootefi shell script mentioned earlier in thread? Thats pretty much how I ended up getting around my problem.

Please advise!

Ok somehow I got it to work; I went into the bios, disk management, changed the SATA mode from IDE to AHCI, rebooted then it worked but the drives were showing up as external. I went back into the bios, changed it back to IDE, and now everything works fine :gathering:

Have you tried using the bootefi shell script mentioned earlier in thread? Thats pretty much how I ended up getting around my problem.

I'm glad you got it working through the BIOS, but I'm in the same boat as Garm. Whenever I've come across a blinking cursor after installation, it's been because the PC EFI was installed wrong. After reinstalling PC EFI, the system boots up fine.

Is anyone experiencing issues regarding information showed in system profiler (about this mac) after 10.5.4 update ? I have CPU C2D E6600 - 2,4ghz although sys. profiler is showing 4ghz instead. I'm using vanilla smbios.kext since sleep is fully working with it.

BadAxe2 GUID efi_v8 Super Simple Guide.

Here you go, this guide is intended to be the most simple straight forward way to get Leopard installed on a GUID partition using efi_v8 and then seamlessly upgrade to Leopard 10.5.2 with the graphics update.

First I need to give props to everyone who helped me get this far in such a short period of time:

Weaksauce12, theotherone, gotoh, Taruga, iGuru (macdot.nub), netkas, Devin, and many others.

What you need:

(1) Kalyway 10.5.1 Install DVD

(2) Taruga's AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16 and

the STAC9274D_83847621.txt file.

(3) The pc_efi_v80 file

(4) nvInject 0.2.1 (for nVidia Cards).

(5) XcodeTools (you need the plist editor to edit your video card total VRAM).

(6) Apple 10.5.2 standalone update

(7) Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 (standalone)

(8) A USB thumb drive formatted FAT32 (named "bootloader")

Also BEFORE YOU START take a look at the following links which are pictures of how MY bios is set up, My computer is moderately overclocked, so look past that part but the rest of the settings are where you should start also PRIOR to setting up your Hackintosh BadAxe2, I am using Bios version 2813.

Keep in mind that I am water cooled so my fan speed controllers are OFF in bios, if you are on AIR, leave these ON.

Bios 1

Bios 2

Bios 3

Bios 4

Bios 5

Bios 6

Bios 7

Bios 8

Bios 9

Bios 10

Bios 11

Bios 12

Here are some Links:

STAC9274D_83847621: Click Here (copy everything to a textedit file and save it to desktop, name it "STAC9274D_83847621.txt").

Taruga's Patcher v1.16: Click Here (save this to the same folder as the .txt file on your desktop)

APPLE 10.5.2 Standalone Update: Click Here

Graphics Update Standalone: Click Here

Xcode Tools: Click Here

pc_efi_v80: Click Here

nvInject: Click Here

Gather all these things together and get ready to rock.

This guide assumes you have a separate drive to install Leopard to and that you may or may not already have XP or Vista installed on another drive and that the computer is working fine under windows.

Step 1:

Copy the unzipped pc_efi_v80 file to the root of the USB drive name the USB drive "bootloader" (you can do this in Windows)

Step 2:

Place the Kalyway DVD in your DVD drive, reboot and hit the F10 key immediately when you see the Intel splash screen.

When the boot selector screen appears, choose the DVD drive where your Kalyway DVD is and hit enter.

The machine will boot to the DVD and it may take several minutes to do so.

Once you are at the install screen, choose your language and hit the next (blue arrow) button.

Once a menu screen appears at the top of the monitor window, select Utilities and scroll down and select "Disk Utility". Disk Utility launches.

Select the drive you want to install Leopard on, click on the partition button and select "1 Partition" as your option (keep it at one partition for now until you master this technique, then later if you want to get fancy you can redo it all with more partitions).

Name your partition "Leopard" (for now, you an always change it later).

Click on the "Options" button and make sure that the "GUID Partition Scheme" radio button is checked.

Click Apply and this will format the drive as GUID.

Close Disk Utility when it is finished.

Step 3:

Launch Terminal from the Utilities Menu.

Enter This:

diskutil list

(hit enter).

you will see something like this:

/dev/disk0
						#:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
						0:				FDisk_partition_scheme			  *149.1 Gi   disk0
						1:			   Windows_NTFS Windows XP			 49.0 Gi	disk0s1
						2:													  100.0 Gi   disk0s3
					 /dev/disk1
						#:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
						0:			   GUID_partition_scheme				*465.5 Gi   disk1
													  EFI						200.1 Mi	disk1s1
						1:					Apple_HFS Leopard			   465.3 Gi	 disk1s2

As you can see from this example:

"disk1" is the actual (Leopard) hard drive

"disk1s1" is the EFI partition (on the Leopard hard drive)

"disk1s2" is YOUR LEOPARD PARTITION (on the Leopard hard drive)

Just accept this as fact, no need to go into it deeper here, however depending on how many drives you have in your system, the numbers may be slightly different, for example, your Leopard drive may be disk3, disk4 or disk5, it does NOT matter just pay attention to what disk YOUR Leopard partition is on, its that simple.

Step 4:

Place the USB drive named "bootloader" in your USB slot.

Go back to Terminal

Enter This:

diskutil unmount disk1s2

(substitute the 1 and 2 for YOUR LEOPARD PARTITION numbers) and hit enter.

Terminal will respond with Disk1s2 (or whatever you chose) unmounted

Now we are going to change the directory to the USB drive so in Terminal type this:

cd /Volumes/bootloader/pc_efi_v80

(hit enter)

Enter This:

./startupfiletool /dev/disk1s2 ./boot_v7_guid_only

(substitute the 1 and 2 for YOUR LEOPARD PARTITION numbers) (hit enter)

Enter This:

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/disk1s2 bs=512 count=1

(substitute the 1 and 2 (of "disk1s2" only not "boot1h") for YOUR LEOPARD PARTITION numbers) (hit enter)

Enter This:

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk1 bs=400 count=1

(substitute the 1 (of "disk1") for YOUR ACTUAL HARD DISK NUMBER, NOT THE PARTITION NUMBER !!!!!!)

(at this point the drive will remount and you can continue with the 2nd half of the EFI install)

Enter This:

diskutil unmount disk1s2

(substitute the 1 and 2 for YOUR LEOPARD PARTITION numbers) and hit enter.

Terminal will respond with Disk1s2 (or whatever you chose) unmounted

Enter This:

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1s2./boot_v8

Enter This:

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2 bs=512 count=1

Enter This:

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk1 bs=400 count=1

(substitute the 1 (of "disk1") for YOUR ACTUAL HARD DISK NUMBER, NOT THE PARTITION NUMBER !!!!!!) (hit enter)

Step 5:

Now we need to make that partition BOOTABLE. Still in Terminal follow these steps:

Enter This:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1

(it reads like this: fdisk(space)-e(space)/dev/rdisk1 (substitute the 1 for YOUR ACTUAL HARD DISK NUMBER, NOT THE PARTITION NUMBER !!!!!!) (hit enter)

fdisk answers:

Enter This: update (hit enter)

fdisk answers:

Machine code updated.

fdisk:*1>

Enter This: f Y

(Y = the 'Y' in your rdiskXsY remember this is the "Leopard" Partition we are trying to make bootable) (hit enter)

fdisk answers:

Partition 2 (or whatever partition is YOUR new Leopard partition) marked active.

Enter This: w (hit enter)

fdisk answers:

Device could not be accessed exclusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n]

Enter This: y

fdisk answers:

Writing MBR at offset 0.

Enter This: q (hit enter)

Once this process is complete, type exit and hit enter (repeat until Terminal replies with "Process Completed").

We are done in Terminal for now, so quit and go to the Kalyway installer segment.

Step 6:

Now here is where you will select which drive to install Leopard to so go through those motions but make sure to select "Customize" once you get to the Installer portion after selecting the Leopard drive.

You will ONLY Make 2 selections here:

(1) Vanilla Kernel (and) Vanilla Kernel with AHCI Fix (make sure both are checked).

(2) nvInject for Desktop (this is assuming you are using an nVidia graphics card).

NOTHING ELSE SHOULD BE CHECKED.......PERIOD!!!!!

IMPORTANT MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that you de-select the GUID bootloader which is usually checked by default .

We already installed the bootloader in the previous steps so if you forget to de-select this or you select the MBR bootloader you will screw all the work we just did and have to start over, your machine will not boot.

Once you have selected the 2 items and made sure bootloaders are NOT selected, continue on to the installation process.

The installer usually takes about 10-15 minutes, when it is done restart the computer and press the F10 key just after the Intel splash screen comes up and select your Leopard drive and hit enter.

The machine will boot to that drive and within a minute you will be selecting your keyboard layout, filling in all the name and phone number screens and sitting at the desktop shortly after that.

Step 6:

Now you will want to do the 10.5.2 update,

The following instructions are taken directly from Devins guide and parts are taken from a post by "theotherone" so special thanks go to Devin and theotherone for this killer method which works for me every single time FLAWLESSLY.

So here we go,

Mount the 10.5.2 image to your desktop but don't launch the installer just yet.

Open Terminal from the Applications/Utilities folder.

Enter This :

sudo -s

(hit enter)

enter your password (hit enter).

Enter This:

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

(hit enter)

Now leave Terminal open and running in the background while you launch the 10.5.2 update package, go ahead and run the installer and MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN YOU DO NOT REBOOT when it is finished, we are not done in Terminal yet.

Once the installer is complete leave the Installer Window open, it will show the "restart" button but you can leave it open and work in the Terminal for these next few steps.

Ok so now we are back in Terminal.

Hold down the "Ctrl" (Control) key and hit the "C" key.

Enter This:

sudo nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

(hit enter)

Now, use your arrow keys to scroll down to this line: /System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext

Place the cursor over the "X" in "Dont Steal Mac OS X (using your arrow keys), and then use the backspace key to delete everything. You want to replace that line with dsmos.kext

so when you are done the line looks like this: /System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext

Do not change anything else, that is all you need to change for this step, you may have to use a combination of the backspace key and the delete key to remove everything before typing.

Now make sure the cursor is in a clear space below that line you just changed so that you don't accidentally change something else.

Hold down the "Ctrl" (Control) Key and hit the O key (not the zero key) (hit enter)

Hold down the "Ctrl" (Control) Key and hit the X key

Type Exit and hit enter and repeat until "Process Completed" is shown.

Close Terminal and reboot.

You will now reboot into a good working Mac OSX 10.5.2 system which is almost fully functional.

(YOU MAY press the F10 key immediately after the Intel splash screen appears and make sure that the boot drive is the Leopard drive if you decided NOT to follow my advice and unplug all other drives prior to using this guide)

Step 7

Now you need to install the nvInject 0.2.1 kext into your System/Library/Extensions folder

But before you do that you will want to edit the plist so that it correctly reflects the Total Vram for YOUR nVidia card.

To do that is really simple however because everyone will have a different card I will refer you to "gotoh's" most incredible site for nvInject

Click Here and at the bottom of this page are the instructions for editing the plist for nvInject.kext

gotoh has already outlined how to do this so I wont go into it here.

If you have not done this already Click Here go to Apple.com and register (free) and download Xcode 3.0.

Once you have downloaded Xcode 3.0 install it and open ApplePlist Editor.

gotoh recommends using ApplePlist Editor as opposed to PlistEdit Pro or Text Edit for many reasons......why re-invent the wheel? Follow his lead and just do it.

Bottom line, you need a properly configured kext for your video card to use all of the onboard memory, so get the tool, get the kext, edit the plist and install the kext.

Whichever way you decide to go, you DO NOT have to reboot BEFORE completing the next step below, mainly because Taruga's patcher repairs permissions after it is finished and it will also repair the permissions on the nvInject.kext you just modified (and installed) which will save you a reboot.

Step 8

Drag the STAC9274D_83847621.txt file (you copied and saved to a folder on your desktop before you started this proceedure) onto Taruga's AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16 (you downloaded and saved to the same folder) and let it do it's thing. Once it is complete, reboot the computer and you should now have a fully functioning 10.5.2 system with working audio, networking, video and all.

Step 9

Once you get back to the desktop and have determined that everything is working, you can launch the Leopard Graphics 1.0 update and let it do it's thing.

Reboot and you are FINISHED!

This process has worked perfectly for me now several times in a row as I tried to perfect a method, so far everything is fully functional, I did NOT have to replace ANY kexts other than the nvInject.kext for my video card, and use Taruga's patcher, I have 4 hard drives, 2 (ATA) DVD drives, and everything works perfectly.

The ONLY thing I have not tried are the additional SATA ports.

Since I don't have a need for them right now, I have not pursued the fix, however it is out there so if you want to go for it...then go for it.

I hope this helps some people that are looking for a quick easy guide for 10.5.2 , GUID and efi_v8 on the BadAxe2.

I love this system.

Mine works perfectly, scores mad high on GeekBench and runs ALL of the Pro Apps without any problems whatsoever.

Again special thanks to all the other x86 brethren out there who are moving and shaking this thing...it really is a fun and rewarding hobby.

Finally, you really need to support Apple and pay for YOUR copy of Leopard, it is totally unethical and illegal to use a downloaded copy of OSX.

Enough said there.

Enjoy.

Hello, I have the same motherboard here, was wondering did u managed to get the sleep function working

Thanks

Is anyone experiencing issues regarding information showed in system profiler (about this mac) after 10.5.4 update ? I have CPU C2D E6600 - 2,4ghz although sys. profiler is showing 4ghz instead. I'm using vanilla smbios.kext since sleep is fully working with it.

I'm using Netkas' smbios and sleep is working fine for me on 10.5.4 :hysterical: I think all the properties in the Hardware Overview in the system profiler are contained within smbios.kext. if you take a look at AppleSMBIOS with text edit there is stuff in there that looks like it relates to the info in the system profiler.

Unfortunately Textedit can't make sense out of about 95% of the file :hysterical:

I am a bit stuck on my install. I have used the guide with the 10.5.1 Kalyway DVD, done the install, got it to boot, and about 1 minute into the boot, the screen goes grey and it won't go any further. I am running the following:

Bad Axe 2 Bios 2831

Intel Xeon X3210 2.13 Quad Core

8Gb Ram

ATI Sapphire HD 2600XT

Any help anyone can give would be great. Been beating my head against it for a while now.

Forgot one thing that would be helpful - when booting into Safe mode (-x -v), it gets caught in a loop with "Package 0 didn't get an HPET" forever.

Thanks again for any help

I decided to torture myself by attempting a new installation on a 750gb drive.

I'm using the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD this time around, but I'm hoping this guide still works. So far I've had some problems.

My Hardware:

BadAxe2

Q6600

4GB memory

750GB Seagate SATA300

Is there supposed to be a space between /dev/rdisk1s2 and ./boot_v8 ?

Is step 4, line 7 correct the way it is?

or should it be

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1s2 ./boot_v8

when I type it like the guide, terminal responds with:

-bash-3.2# ./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s2./boot_v8

Usage: startupfiletool [-v] <raw device> <file>

-bash-3.2#

When I add a space, terminal responds with:

-bash-3.2# ./startupfiletool /dev/disk0s2 ./boot_v8

HFS+ filesystem detected

Looking for 1 words free

reading 4096,4096

reading 8192,4096

Marking word 168

writing back 8192,4096

allocated blocks 32 at start 38144

-bash-3.2#

On step 4, line 3, there's a space:

./startupfiletool /dev/disk1s2 ./boot_v7_guid_only

I've seen it copied and pasted a few times in other posts, but I haven't seen anyone else have a problem with it.. suggestions?

Adding the space, I got Leopard to install and boot up once, but now I'm getting B0 errors every time.

Thanks for condensing the other extremely long thread into this extremely concise one.

I have installed over 3 times but can't get it to work with guid + efi_v80.

The only thing that does not match the reponse vs input is:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1

fdisk answers:

the above underlined words dont come up rest after that does...

hope that gives you a clue...

I have managed to install via the kalyway 10.5.1 using mbr and vanilla kernel. But i want the guid and efi_v80 if possible.

thanks for your time reading this

Same problem over here. I'm using kalyway 10.5.2

I get that one line missing, but the rest of the install goes smoothly.

Then when I try to boot up, B0 error every time.

I got it to boot to the leopard desktop once, tried to restart, and now it gets the B0 error every time.

I tried booting off the DVD again and repeating step 5, but I've never seen

It does give me:

and

even though my drive/partition is disk0s2. Does this matter?

Thanks for the great guide!

I am still not clear after reading the whole thread whether sleep works after following all of the steps. That is, when I am done with the steps in the guide, and I am enjoying 10.5.2 Leo, will sleep work?

The next thing I am not sure about is: if I follow this guide, is there a step-by-step guide to update to 10.5.4? (And still have sleep work?)

Thanks!

Craigolio

Hey guys,

Sorry I have not been in this forum for quite a while,

Work and life are in full effect and my time in here has suffered as a result.

Anyway this is EXACTLY how it is supposed to look, the way it is written in my guide:

I dont have an answer for why you are getting the errors after you get it installed, other than your hardware config is definitely different since you are using an ATI card right?

There is a space BETWEEN "startupfiletool" and the "/dev" so I hope that clears it up for you.

I have had issues with certain hard drives where I had to actually do a low level format of the drive to be able to partition using EFI_v8, if you have tried and failed more than once, it is probably time to do a low level format and try again, that has worked for me when I could not get past the exact steps you mentioned.

Now here is a longer work around method which will also work.

Maybe you have seen this page maybe not but this is the page I used to scale my guide down.

I found that i did not need to do things twics like the guide suggests.

Try it and see if it helps you out.

EFI guide

• 3 weeks later...

BUMP, I did not follow this guide to install Kalyway 5.2, but have it all working.

Why am I bumping this? I need help with booting.

For now, the way I boot is by changing the drive booting order. Once I put it on my IDE drive, if I boot with no CD in the drive, I get an underscore at the top left of the screen and it stays as is forever. The system does not boot. I put the CD, the system say to press a key to boot the CD, I DO NOT PRESS A THING! The countdown goes to 0 and mac OS boot PERFECTLY.

What can I do to fix this?

Thing to note, I installed Leopard on a seperate IDE drive, I have vista on SATA.

Also, would it be possible to use a software such as easyBCD to actually choose to boot leopard even if I have my vista HDD as the first to be booted?

I need some help. Been running super stable 10.5.1 Kalyway/BrazilMac install on my BadAxe2 for a while now, in triple boot config with W2K and Ubuntu w/Grub bootloader, MBR format OSX on its own drive, linux/w2k on one drive. I need to upgrade to 10.5.4. Can anyone point me to the simplest most effective method of upgrading? The forums have gotten way too confusing with all the options..

I need some help. Been running super stable 10.5.1 Kalyway/BrazilMac install on my BadAxe2 for a while now, in triple boot config with W2K and Ubuntu w/Grub bootloader, MBR format OSX on its own drive, linux/w2k on one drive. I need to upgrade to 10.5.4. Can anyone point me to the simplest most effective method of upgrading? The forums have gotten way too confusing with all the options..

If you are running vanilla system with EFI emulation in MBR I think you should be fine with regular software update without any tweaking. But you have to be sure about that, otherwise you can brick your system.

If you are running vanilla system with EFI emulation in MBR I think you should be fine with regular software update without any tweaking. But you have to be sure about that, otherwise you can brick your system.

I am, but I thought that the 10.5.2 update would brick it if I didn't follow a process. I'm looking for the correct process, but despite the searching haven't found one for my specific install. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots. I don't want to have to reinstall..

I am, but I thought that the 10.5.2 update would brick it if I didn't follow a process. I'm looking for the correct process, but despite the searching haven't found one for my specific install. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spots. I don't want to have to reinstall..

Go to Netkas's web page... you can find tutorial in some older posts. However, updating from 10.5.3. to 10.5.4. is without any issues - you can run it like on genuine mac.