[Guide + Links] Simple Complete BadAxe2, GUID, efi_v8

Team Scream

72 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...

ok...can somebody explain me why this DOESN'T WORK? :) i reinstall it already 10 times...

look at the photos...

t273910_PC220079.jpgt273909_PC220078.jpgt273908_PC220077.jpg

t273907_PC220076.jpgt273906_PC220074.jpgt273905_PC220073.jpg

t273904_PC220072.jpg

p.s. i tried

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1s2./boot_v8

and

<span class="postcolor"></span><span class="postcolor">./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1s2./boot_v8</span>

(which is wrong i think?) - anyway - b0 error

always b0 error. :(

• 4 months later...

10.5.7 Everything works (Stereo Audio I/O, Marvell ports) on my BadAxe2. Here are some hard-earned secrets:

• Marvell SATA: You need to download this file: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=23352. That contains a modified plist from Guedes Jr on a weaksauce thread. Weaksauce says he abandoned his project and refers over to this teamscream thread. But here you won't find the what you need to get Marvell ports working, which I found only after diligent digging.
  • Audio: Assuming you've got it going by downloading this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=37097, after upgrading to 10.5.7 you have to restore AppleHDA.kext from the one you had working. The updater replaces the contents of the plug-ins directory inside this extension. This fooled me at first because the mod date on the extension itself was not changed by the update, even though its contents had been altered. I used "show package contents" on a hunch and found the issue this way.

10.5.7 Everything works (Stereo Audio I/O, Marvell ports) on my BadAxe2. Here are some hard-earned secrets:

Thanks egray! I've been waiting for someone to sort it out first. Much appreciated.

Did you use the combo update, or update via Software Update?

Wow! THANKS egray!

I finally got the Marvel controller working! Now I can enjoy my 5 SATA drives connected at the same time! ALL of them are working! Cheers!

Mic doesn't seem to work though. I have Audio out working fine, with Taruga's AppleHDAPatcher 1.16 applied, but when I replace with the file in the link you provided ALL audio stops working. After re-applying AppleHDAPatcher Audio-OUT works again, but no Mic.

I have 10.5.2 installed. How did you get to 10.5.7? Was it installing progressive updates, or you just jumped from 10.5.2 to 10.5.7?

Wow! THANKS egray!

I finally got the Marvel controller working! Now I can enjoy my 5 SATA drives connected at the same time! ALL of them are working! Cheers!

Mic doesn't seem to work though. I have Audio out working fine, with Taruga's AppleHDAPatcher 1.16 applied, but when I replace with the file in the link you provided ALL audio stops working. After re-applying AppleHDAPatcher Audio-OUT works again, but no Mic.

I have 10.5.2 installed. How did you get to 10.5.7? Was it installing progressive updates, or you just jumped from 10.5.2 to 10.5.7?

Nano07,

You must remove ALCinject for the audio to work with the files egray provided.

Read about it here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=130380

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I started with Kalyway 10.5.2, and have moved through every update with advice from this site and others - netkas.org, primarily. The biggest change was going up to 10.5.6, which was some extra work with dsdt patch and a move to Chameleon; see http://netkas.org/?p=78. Going to 10.5.7 I used the delta update, but downloaded it rather than using software update. I think that if you are on 10.5.2 you could use the combo updater and Netkas' guide to go to 10.5.6, then the delta update to 10.5.7.

I started with Kalyway 10.5.2, and have moved through every update with advice from this site and others - netkas.org, primarily. The biggest change was going up to 10.5.6, which was some extra work with dsdt patch and a move to Chameleon; see http://netkas.org/?p=78. Going to 10.5.7 I used the delta update, but downloaded it rather than using software update. I think that if you are on 10.5.2 you could use the combo updater and Netkas' guide to go to 10.5.6, then the delta update to 10.5.7.

Hello,

My installed Leopard 10.5.6 on my Bad Axe 2 Hack Pro using this tutorial:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=165676

My system is working perfectly and I have all of the latest updates (10.5.7).

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Guys I would love to try this guide, unfortunately Intel no longer has this bios on there site

BX97520J.86A.2813.2008.0114.2256

Anyone that has the Intel BadAxe2 and has that Bios Revision, could be so kind to provide me with a

link to download it I would be gratetful :)

Thanks, for this guild it looks very promising , if I can get the Bios update used on this setup :D

EDIT::::

Never mind after hours of searching for it online, I finally found it :D, now to flash the board and give this

install a test ride :)

Guys I would love to try this guide, unfortunately Intel no longer has this bios on there site

BX97520J.86A.2813.2008.0114.2256

Anyone that has the Intel BadAxe2 and has that Bios Revision, could be so kind to provide me with a

link to download it I would be gratetful :unsure:

Thanks, for this guild it looks very promising , if I can get the Bios update used on this setup :)

EDIT::::

Never mind after hours of searching for it online, I finally found it :) , now to flash the board and give this

install a test ride :)

Hi all, for those who haven't looked at the BadAxe2 for awhile, Chameleon 2 works perfectly with this motherboard. In fact, it is nearly 100% vanilla, using the retail OSX DVD. The only kexts needed in S/L/E are 2 files to give audio i/o (yes, even the mic works). I've tested this on 3 different systems, both with a Chameleon USB stick and with Chameleon installed directly onto the EFI partition.

Although I've got newer systems that work well, I still think the BadAxe2 is a dynamite board and very, very compatible with OSX. AlainTox714's STA9274D.v7 kexts finally added the last piece of the puzzle.

Hey Everyone,

I am so sorry I have all but abandoned this thread, in fact, I have not really played with hackintosh for quite a while.

I am seriously thinking about getting back into it with the new core i7 stuff now, but after getting my systems up and running, I literally just forgot about them.

All of the systems in my signature are still currently running fine, I have not tried to update them at all in any fashion whatsoever so where they were when I last posted is where they stand now.

I am so out of the loop, I have no idea what chameleon even is!

This marks the first day I have wanted/needed to dip my toes back into the hackintosh world in nearly a year.

By the way BJMoose , you sir are a trailblazer, your threads were part and parcel in my builds/trials and attempts.

Thanks!

Hey Everyone,

I am so sorry I have all but abandoned this thread, in fact, I have not really played with hackintosh for quite a while.

I am seriously thinking about getting back into it with the new core i7 stuff now, but after getting my systems up and running, I literally just forgot about them.

All of the systems in my signature are still currently running fine, I have not tried to update them at all in any fashion whatsoever so where they were when I last posted is where they stand now.

I am so out of the loop, I have no idea what chameleon even is!

This marks the first day I have wanted/needed to dip my toes back into the hackintosh world in nearly a year.

By the way BJMoose , you sir are a trailblazer, your threads were part and parcel in my builds/trials and attempts.

Thanks!

Hi Team Scream, thanks for the kind words. I too have been out of the loop for quite awhile, but I got bored and started reading again. There've been so much that has developed since I was involved. I started reading and have once again become a devotee of OSx86 and especially Chameleon. It works great with the BadAxe2 and with 8gb ram and the QX6700 quad, it still at least as powerful as the original 4 core Mac Intels, and I think they're more flexible.

The only thing that has to be 'non-vanilla' is the audio kext. All else can be included in Chameleon (at least with nVidia gfx cards). I still have 3 of these systems and I tried using both a 10.5.0 and a 10.5.6 retail disk and did all updates directly through OSX. Everything works, included the latest CS4 and FCP2.

I'm looking into a new i7 system in the near future.

:)

Hi Team Scream, thanks for the kind words. I too have been out of the loop for quite awhile, but I got bored and started reading again. There've been so much that has developed since I was involved. I started reading and have once again become a devotee of OSx86 and especially Chameleon. It works great with the BadAxe2 and with 8gb ram and the QX6700 quad, it still at least as powerful as the original 4 core Mac Intels, and I think they're more flexible.

As I mentioned, I will try to put together a detailed tutorial of what works best (IMHO) for a nearly 100% vanilla BA2 system. The only thing that has to be 'non-vanilla' is the audio kext. All else can be included in Chameleon. I still have 3 of these systems and I tried using both a 10.5.0 and a 10.5.6 retail disk and did all updates directly through OSX. Everything works, included the latest CS4 and FCP2.

I'm looking into a new i7 system in the near future.

Hi BJMoose,

I've been out of the loop for a while too. I'm still running 10.5.2 in ma main system. I'd like to go to 10.5.7 but I don't really want to do a complicated installation typing code and all that.

I've tried a couple of weekends ago to install Iatkos 7 with chameleon in a separate HDD in my BadAxe2 and it worked great. I only had a couple of issues that I haven't had time to check. I'm not sure if I'll be abe to use the extra ports for the SATA Marvel controller (i saw there are drivers in the install but I only tried to install this twice and couldn't get it to work) - maybe just need to select the right combination of drivers in the install for it to work.

The other weird thing is the NTFS support. After installing ITAKOS 7 I cannot access my external HDD anymore... When I try to acces right after booting, it says it's in use and have no access. Weird. I tried with another empty portable HDD and had the same msg. If I re-format using the new installed system it works fine. I'm guessing it might be a conflict of MacFuse versions or something like that.

So besides this two hiccups that I'm sure are easily fixable, the rest is great! no codes for anything :)

Anyone gave it a try with BadAxe2?

I have the retail Leo disks so if you post a TUT on how to install this with Chameleon I'm keen to give it a try! :) Thanks BJMoose!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Marvell SATA: You need to download this file: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=23352. That contains a modified plist from Guedes Jr on a weaksauce thread. Weaksauce says he abandoned his project and refers over to this teamscream thread. But here you won't find the what you need to get Marvell ports working, which I found only after diligent digging.

When I installed the modded AppleAHCIPort.kext I finally saw the disk connected to the marvell controller in finder, but the system crashed randomly. I noticed later that I was using the disks in IDE mode, is it possible to switch back and forth between IDE and AHCI on the same OS X installation? Which is the recommended mode on the bad axe performance wise?

ok, so the Marvell controller can be set separately from the Intel one, that's good. I suppose this is done in the Marvell "bios" then.

You people that are running 10.5.7 on the bad axe 2, did you need a dsdt patch?

ok, so the Marvell controller can be set separately from the Intel one, that's good. I suppose this is done in the Marvell "bios" then.

You people that are running 10.5.7 on the bad axe 2, did you need a dsdt patch?

mmm, I have an experimental drive where I installed Iatkos 7 (10.5.7) and didn't need to put dsdt patch, just the Sound Driver . I was able to update to 10.5.8 with automatic update :( , and all seems to work great! Except for the Marvell of course. I could never manage to get it running :-(

With Guedes kext and ACHI in the BIOS I can get to see the secondary SATA listed in System Preferences but nothing connected to those SATA connectors work.

Oh, by the way, I always changed the SATA settings in 'DRIVES' in the main BIOS and I think it changes to ACHI or IDE for both controllers not just the Marvell one. If there is another place where you can setup the Marvell one then that must be why I could never got it working.

I am using 10.5.8 now, however I got a kernel panic during the upgrade (running a retail 10.5.3 install). I needed to use the Disabler provided by netkas and used the new dsmos file as well, then it went fine. Rebooted twice, then I removed the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and the Disabler.kext, and used my undervolting VoodooPower.kext instead.

Although, I have to add that when the screen shows the blue background during boot I get a somewhat strange picture, the monitor reports unsupported signal, and then it works as normal. I am using an 8800gt in dual display with a string in the com.apple.Boot.plist and Chameleon 2 RC1, maybe it takes some time to inject the string (didn't have this problem in 10.5.3)?

I have not tested the marvell in ACHI yet, have to free up a disk to partition, hope it works :) I assume it is safe to switch between IDE and ACHI on a working system then.

Disabler.kext.zip

dsmos.kext.zip

The Marvell controller works in ACHI with the modded kext, however when enabling "Put the hard disks to sleep when possible", the disk connected to the Marvell controller does not power up after disk sleep. Anyway, ordinary sleep works so I think I will use this setup. SMART status works as well with SMARTReporter.

HI,

Try set u Marvell im ACHI mode, i use one HD and one DVD in this ports anda no have any crashes....

ande if u use /EFI or /EXTRA u can put kext in this folder...

Hey Guedes,

I made a fresh install in a test drive and I put the kext you posted, and I only manage to get it working the first time. Then it stops loading (even forcing it with -f).

Now, when I go to sys profiler it says "There was an error while scanning for Serial-ATA devices."

Only think I can think of now is maybe we have a different BIOS revision. What's yours? and If you have it could you please post it so I can try with that one?