New ToH/Netkas 9.2.0 Kernel

Sabr

87 posts in this topic

Quick question, i installed it and did a repair...

but after i installed it and rebooted it, didn't work..

is this normal?

I am at work and i can't try to reboot until i get home again since my gf just left after turning it off and on for me!

Copy over the mach_kernel file you downloaded to the Desktop. Then run these commands from Terminal (Applications/Utilities):

sudo -s
[enter password]
cp /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.vanilla
cp -r ~/Desktop/mach_kernel /mach_kernel

Close terminal and reboot

Hello,

I've done exactly what you said and it didn't work

Has the filename to be mach_kernel.vanilla or should I let it as mach_kernel ?

I copied this in, replacing the old mach_kernel (I'm running Kalyway 10.5.1 btw), repaired permissions and checked with uname -a and kernel had changed from 9.1.0 to 9.2.0

The only difference it made is that the fan went off (as well as screen turning off as usual), but the power led and the power button light stayed on until the power button was pressed

Is there anything else I should do? Is there a need to update to 10.5.2 (combo + kernel) first? Is it still a matter of deleting NVinstaller and trying to use gfx string for 8400m GS instead?

@Pion - you said " hehe i got shutdown to work finally with this Acpiplatfourm.kext Attached File Shutdown_FIX.zip ( 263.79K )

and using this new Netkas 9.2.0 kernel"

Could you explain a little please?

Also I have ToHkernel and mach_kernel in the root of my drive (also a file called vanilla) Why is that? I didn't install vanilla btw because it kept rebooting

Thanks for any help

Marco

Also I have ToHkernel and mach_kernel in the root of my drive (also a file called vanilla) Why is that? I didn't install vanilla btw because it kept rebooting
Kalyway 10.5.1 iso automatically adds both the 9.1.0 ToH sleep kernel and 9.1.0 Vanilla kernel to '/' every time. The options on the disk just ask which one you want to use as default (mach_kernel). At any time, you can go into your darwin bootloader and type the kernel name and use that temporarily... although they're a little out of date with 10.5.2 and I'd wouldn't recommend it unless you cannot boot.

Also I just read on mac.nub's site about AppleSMBIOS-27 "This file provides the required information to the Mac to allow use of Vanilla kernels, for OS features to function correctly etc."

Previously, I couldn't use vanilla because of constant rebooting - if I install AppleSMBIOS-27 can I then start using vanilla? (first F8 -vanilla, then if successful edit com.apple.Boot.plist to make it permanent?

Thanks

Hello,

I've done exactly what you said and it didn't work

Has the filename to be mach_kernel.vanilla or should I let it as mach_kernel ?

No, the mach_kernel.vanilla is only for backup purposes. That should have worked to install the kernel.

When was it updated? I installed my new kernel 3 days ago and everything works but sleep.. any idea?
It was updated almost one week ago, you can see when netkas posted in the thread indicating it. What he should have said was he updated his post, meaning now there are two versions up on IRC. The first enabling speedstep to throttle the CPU but breaks sleep. The other, appropriately labeled "sleep," should allow it but disables speedstep. I'm on a desktop and a poweruser, so I want my Q6600 running at full speed.Well I already answered one of your questions, immarco. The 9.2.0 kernel is intended to be used on 10.5.2, so yes, I recommend upgrading if you're going to use it. You must install both kalyway 10.5.2 comboupdate AND kernel, then once again override it with netkas's kernel. Otherwise you may experience problems like long boot times (2-3 minutes). And if you can, try to get rid of NVinstaller. I thank Scott Dangel for making it easy, but it does affect the system in some ways. For example, even with the sleep kernel, my system cannot sleep if I'm using NVInject, but with the gfx string its fine. Shutdown works no matter what thanks to this kernel, but your laptop has a different motherboard so your milege may vary.

Yuusharo of course I didn't aim any comment at you - I've already thanked you for answering one of my questions and I thank you again for further info :thumbsup_anim:

It sometimes seems that a certain snobbery operates here - "bloody noobs" sort of thing. I realise people being lazy and asking questions already answered somewhere must get irritating, but everyone was a noob once. I've actually read acres of stuff since first coming here, but still need little pointers every now and then to help complete the jigsaw - there's an awful lot of pieces :D

Thanks again

on an Asrock 945G-DVI / C2D 6300 / GeForce 7600 GT PCIE rig (MBR/EFI8 with all vanilla except from dsmos.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext - the last macdotnub '27' one - and IONetworkinfFamily.kext - in order for TimeMachie to work), I just tried this new kernel (the sleep speedstepless one), which gave me better XBench / GeekBench scores ... BUT also gives me a kernel panic everytime I try to start VMWare Fusion : for now I'm back to Kalyway 10.5.2 hacked kernel (a little bit faster than the vanilla kernel) and trying to solve this issue.

does anybody know a mean to get it working ?