Would you buy a MBP or a Hackintosh?

24 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Ok, with the new Apple update I was all set to go and get my Macbook pro when a mate suggested I go and get a Dell and just install OS X onto it and save some money.

This did seem to make some sense.

Is there a benefit to getting say a Dell XPS laptop and installing OSX onto it (with XP of course) as opposed to simply getting a Macbook Pro?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Get a Dell and you'll never see multi-touch. Ever. No, it's not just a software thing.

The scoreboard:

The MBP starts at 2.4GHz on the new Penryn chips, Dell XPS M1530 has 2.0GHz (and that was the faster one I could see) (MBP = 1, Dell = 0)

The Mac comes with fully supported OS X and won't require any hacks to run it for many years (Mac = 2, Dell = 0)

The Dell has a 15.4" screen @ 1280*800 res whereas the MBP has 1440*900 (Mac = 3, Dell = 0)

Add multitouch (Mac = 4) and Sex appeal (Mac = 5) and the Dell is lagging seriously behind.

Just get the Mac. You'll love yourself for it. I promise.

I'd go with the MacBook Pro, especially since Apple just updated their line. Plus Apple hardware + Apple software = zero problems (It's out of the box and ready to use). Sure you can get a cheaper Dell XPS notebook and set everything up with OS X working pretty well. This guy here chose a Dell over a MBP. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=84186

If you have needs like this guy, go with the Dell. Otherwise, if you want to run OS X, just get a MBP. Or if you want to spend a little time installing OS X on a non-Apple machine, go ahead, that's what this forum is here for.

Advantages of a Mac over a hackintosh:

• Thin, light design. Looks more attractive.
  • Excellent battery life.
  • Great power management. Sleep + wake are instant. Most hackintoshes can't even wake from sleep.
  • Full support for OS X, no hacking, updates not a problem, and of course legal...

Advantage of Hack:

• The only reason to get a Hackintosh is to save some money.

The MBP's have just been updated, so now is the best time to get one. Right now they have all the latest technology. They will stay the same price for a long time (Apple always does this), so they will just become gradually worse and worse value.

Over the last 15 years I have had a fair number of what at the time were among the best laptops on the market (Compaq, Digital, HP etc). None have impressed me as much as my wife's MacBook that we got about 6 months ago. Light, fast, rugged, shut the lid & it goes to sleep instantly, open the lid & it wakes up instantly. However it appears that no other latop even when loaded with OSX86 will work quite right. There is always something missing whether it's audio, Lan, WiFi, sleep/suspend etc. The next laptop I buy will be a Mac.

The situation is very different with desktop systems especially those you build yourself & can choose all the components. Here you can have OSX86 running flawlessly. It also appears that there is a gap in the Mac market that Apple is not satisfying. This is for a mini-tower with more expansion capability than an iMac but not a full on well hung Mac Pro workstation.

Well, it does depend on your needs. If you have decided that you want to use OS X on a regular basis, for everyday tasks, and maybe for whatever specialty apps it has (ie. Final Cut), then yeah, the MBP is the only sensible choice.

However, if you are firmly rooted in Windows for apps, games, whatever, and have a substantial investment in that software, and you plan to use OS X more for tinkering or boredom, for the cost it's hard to justify a MBP here. If you have a MBP-type budget for a laptop, you can get a PC laptop (not a Dell) for substantially less. My Sager 5793 lacks the AWESOME MULTI-TOUCH that I'd never use since I don't use the trackpad anyway, but has a faster gaming video card (8800M GTX 512MB), a fingerprint reader, and a memory card reader. It also cost about $700 less than a comparable MBP. In fact, when configured with the 8700M video card (still better than a MBP's 8600GT), the savings gets high enough where you could buy a Sager *and* a low-end MacBook for the price of the MBP.

Notebook -> go for Apple (but i really dislike that Apple doesn't provide a full featured Keyboard (with Numblock) on their Top 17" Modell)

Desktop -> not really sure (would go for Apple too, if they ever sell a decent Desktop (for some people the Mac Pro is still a little bit overpowerd) )

(Personal i would never buy a Sager a) gaming performance will never be as decent as a desktop b ) plastik c) not really mobile (too much power consume) )

Well, it does depend on your needs. If you have decided that you want to use OS X on a regular basis, for everyday tasks, and maybe for whatever specialty apps it has (ie. Final Cut), then yeah, the MBP is the only sensible choice.

However, if you are firmly rooted in Windows for apps, games, whatever, and have a substantial investment in that software, and you plan to use OS X more for tinkering or boredom, for the cost it's hard to justify a MBP here. If you have a MBP-type budget for a laptop, you can get a PC laptop (not a Dell) for substantially less. My Sager 5793 lacks the AWESOME MULTI-TOUCH that I'd never use since I don't use the trackpad anyway, but has a faster gaming video card (8800M GTX 512MB), a fingerprint reader, and a memory card reader. It also cost about $700 less than a comparable MBP. In fact, when configured with the 8700M video card (still better than a MBP's 8600GT), the savings gets high enough where you could buy a Sager *and* a low-end MacBook for the price of the MBP.

The thing is. I'm one of theose long-time windows users who wants a change. There's quite a few of us, believe me! All my serious apps would be done on OSX and the few PC game sI play would be done on the XP install. Games are mainly played on my 360 now.

Apps I use are photshop, 3D, photo retouching, office and such. I don`t want a desktop anymore because I don`t want a big hulking thing. i want a laptop I can simply plug into my main screen and move it around the house or take with me etc. So the MBP seems to be a good choice. Although, knowing my luck, when the next update comes in June it will probably be completely different and i'll think..damn, should I have waited? :rolleyes:

You can run Windows on the MBP, you can even dedicate its entire hdd to Windows if you're sick in the head enough. So that just doesnt cut it as an argument.

Get the MacBook Pro - you will not regret it. Also, if you do want to save a bit of cash, dont discount the MacBook - aside from smaller display and less powerful gfx hardware, it is still a very capable machine, and does actually have some advantages over the MBP:

- (easily) user-replaceable hdd

- slightly longer battery life

- slightly better wifi reception

Then again, I speak as someone who had a MacBook and then upgraded to a MacBook Pro, so draw your own conclusions :D (FYI I mainly upgraded for the screen space, for photo work).

Let's say also that an average 17" notebook costs about 700 euro's, while a MBP can be about 2000 euro's.

I'm also very hesitant on what to buy. I'd love to get a Mac (for all the reasons some of you listed) but hell ... they cost almost 3 times a Pavilion with same characteristics. Mmmmhhh ... Apple should reconsider their list price, IMO

Not to mention you have to add other 300 euro's to extend warranty from 1 to 3 years...

You can run Windows on the MBP, you can even dedicate its entire hdd to Windows if you're sick in the head enough. So that just doesnt cut it as an argument.

Sure it does. Like I said, a MBP costs *a lot* more than a PC laptop of the same power. Not only that, but Apple does not offer Windows pre-loaded. So since I see the word "ILLEGAL" being thrown around in reference to Hackintosh, I'll remind everyone that if buying a MBP, you *do* need to provide your own Windows. Legally. They aren't exactly giving it away.