Modified BIOS to get all cores working

Kabyl

1,884 posts in this topic

Kabyl,

First off, I would like to thank you for all the hard work on unraveling this deeply-seated problem with so many laptops.

I also have a ASUS-M50SA (as did someone a page or two back) and I decided to take a crack at it myself.

I've got a little farther than I thought I would.

I have:

Gotten ahold of AMI (that's what this machine uses) BIOS tools.

Extracted the DSDT

Fixed the DSDT

Recompiled the DSDT into a DSDT.aml

I've been able to piece this together with google and old Linux sites from the days when Linux commonly meant extracting and recompiling DSDT.

But I am a little lost when I reimplant it into the rom file for flashing. (how to get it back into a flashable bios form). I have a toolkit of AMI bios tools apparently up to date enough, but I haven't found which commands reimport the DSDT file.

Can you maybe just let the community know what tools you're using to do this (if they're available) even just names would give us something to google.

I have tried CBROM32, MODBIN, etc. but I cannot figure out where or how to insert the repaired DSDT (i.e. the DSDT.aml file Intel's ASL compiler made)...

I have mostly been getting size warnings.

Thanks for any help, tips, etc. I'm quite willing to Do-It-Myself, but I feel like I'm snagged on the last couple of steps.

Thanks. Efforts like yours make OS X x86 possible for the rest of us.

If you are using the AMI tool to extract the 1b-SingleLink...., then this will work for you. If not, then you have to wait for me to get a package together with the tools. I also recommend using Winhex, it will make your life easier.

You are basically reinserting your compiled dsdt file back into the 1B file you extracted, without causing any changes to the file size. And since we are removing something, the new file should be smaller in size. You inject the file back into the original and then fill the remaining spaces with 0x00 (hex=00). (Q for Kabyl: Can we decrease the size of the dsdt section instead of filling it with 0x00?) If this does not work, then you might have to wait for the guide.

-DTsu

Do not use the G1Sn BIOS kabyl or whoever created - I lost 3000 marks running a standard benchmark test w/ 3DMark06 - Yes, Kalyway installed perfectly after the patch, but when I went back to Vista and ran my gaming tests... YES -3K 3D marks!!!

i have an asus p5ld2-x/1333 motherboard , intel c2d e4500 2.2ghz and ati hd2600 xt iceq turbo

i want to use leopard but i need a modified BIOS for working all cores and i hope you can help me

bios file is here:http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5LD2-X_1333/LD2X0206.zip

thanks

Hello, Kabyl.

I've got MSI PR200 YA Edition with this configuration:

Processor & Cache Intel® Core® 2 Duo Processors (T5260)

Chipsets Intel® GM965 Express Chipset

System Memory 2GB (DDR2 667)

LCD Display 12" WXGA ACV(Amazing Crystal Vision) Display

Graphics & Video Module UMA - Intel X3100

Audio SoundBlaster compatible

HDD 160GB (5400RPM)

Optical Drive DVD Super Multi/ Combo

Webcam 1.3M

Card Reader 4-in-1 Card Reader, SD/MMC/MS/MSpro

Communication Port Built-in Gigabit Ethernet LAN and Modem Module

Built-in 802.11n WLAN Card / Bluetooth Supported

I/O Port Graphics Card Output (15-pin, D-Sub) X 1

USB2.0 Port X 3

Mic-in Port X 1

Line-in Port x 1

Headphone Output X 1

Modem Port X 1

LAN Port X 1

PCI Express Card X 1

HDMI-out X 1

Can you please help me modifying the BIOS of my laptop. I am from Romania, and my english is very bad. But, if you can, please help me. Link to my BIOS is HERE.

Thank you very much !

you're not good with numbers, eh?

and no, you guessed wrong.

Doing search for username/login, the last post (not considering this one) was from 14 days ago, if this is wrong then blame the search engine, not me.

Gradius

I am using an Asrock ConRoe1333 DVI/H R2.0 with a Celeron 420 (1.6 GHz single core).

In ioreg, it shows up as CPU1-CPU4 (why?).

| +-o P001@1  <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>
| | +-o AppleACPICPU  <class AppleACPICPU, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>
| |   +-o AppleACPICPUInterruptController  <class AppleACPICPUInterruptController, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 6>
| |   +-o ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin  <class ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>
| +-o CPU1@1  <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>
| | +-o AppleACPICPU  <class AppleACPICPU, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 5>
| +-o P002@2  <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>
| | +-o AppleACPICPU  <class AppleACPICPU, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 5>
| +-o CPU2@2  <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>
| | +-o AppleACPICPU  <class AppleACPICPU, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 5>
| +-o P003@3  <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>
| +-o CPU3@3  <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>
| +-o P004@4  <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>
| +-o CPU4@4  <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>
| +-o io-apic@fec00000  <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 6>

I have to use an old version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext, otherwise the CPUs show up as "busy" in ioreg and the boot is extremely(!) slow with messages such as

kextd[10] IOKitWaitQuiet() timed out waiting to write kernel symbols
kextd[10] writing kernel link data to /var/run/mach.sym
configd[14] InterfaceNamer: timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce
configd[14] InterfaceNamer: Busy services :
configd[14] InterfaceNamer: To Be Filled By O.E.M. [1]
configd[14] InterfaceNamer: To Be Filled By O.E.M./AppleACPIPlatformExpert [3]
configd[14] InterfaceNamer: To Be Filled By O.E.M./AppleACPIPlatformExpert/P002@2 [1]
configd[14] InterfaceNamer: To Be Filled By O.E.M./AppleACPIPlatformExpert/P003@3 [1]
configd[14] InterfaceNamer: To Be Filled By O.E.M./AppleACPIPlatformExpert/P004@4 [1]

Would using your file ConRoe1333-DVIH(R2.0)(2.10) allow me to use the latest AppleACPIPlatform.kext without these errors?

And how risky is using a modified BIOS? (Has anyone successfully flashed the ConRoe1333-DVIH(R2.0)(2.10)?)

question for DTSu/Kabyl/someone more masterful at these low level issues than I am:

I am still struggling with being able to boot the ASUS M50SA I have with or without CPUS=1.

I have now been able to extract/replace Single Architecture Link Bios successfully for this board. I insert the DSDT compiled without the "CPU Alias" lines, flash successfully...and nothing.

It's very strange. The Leo4Allv3 disc I use can run OK, GUI works well enough, but only with CPUS=1. Once installed, nothing seems to work.

This trick isn't it for this board or isn't the only needed step maybe.

Weird, no?

Especially since this M50SA is (I believe) the same mainboard as the NVIDIA-video card version, the M50SV, which is fixed by this.

Any guesses what other things could cause the issue for an ASUS? I am stumped, just trying things like the new Chameleon bootloader, different kernels, but it feels like I'm getting colder, not warmer.

Cannot even boot WITH the CPUS=1 limiter.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

aez2007

Can someone please help and do the Lenovo Y510 IdeaPad. Attached is the bios.

06CN29WW.ROM.zip

thanks

GMA X3100

Intel 965 Chipset

Intel Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66 Ghz

Currently will only boot into osx using ACPI kexts from Tiger and CPUS=1.

I am leaving the country soon so if anyone would be gracious enough to modify this for me quickly as soon as possible.. i would be eternally grateful. Thanks again. Will also paypal 5 $ =D :)

BIOS

Could you post one for the Asus F8Sn? I get stuck in a reboot loop without using the cpus=1 flag or the -x -f -s flag. Since a modified BIOS worked for the F3 series, I'm hoping that it'll work for my F8Sn.

Intel Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66Ghz (Santa Rosa)

Intel PM965 Crestline Chipset

NVidia Geforce 9500 GS 512MB

Link to BIOS: F8Sn BIOS

Hey Kabyl,

I don't need the modded bios after all. Antaholics helped me with my issue. It was in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist I had to remove the cpus = 1 flag. All is well! Now both cores are functional.

Can you make a modified BIOS for a Toshiba M60 to get internal disk detected by macosx installation ?

the bios is there

http://support1.toshiba-tro.de/tedd-files2...70807140716.zip

It is a Phoenix Bios 1.6 version

There is no ACPI option and it seems to block Kalyway installation : ACPI panic unrecognized device

Thanks a lot for your help

regards

Satellite A200 (PSAEC)

BIOS:-

XP: http://support.toshiba-tro.de/tools/eula/c...la.asp?ID=59999

Vista: http://support.toshiba-tro.de/tools/eula/c...la.asp?ID=59994

Intel® Core™2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz, Intel i945PM rev. 03, GeForce 7300 Go 256 MB (01d7).

I can boot only with 1 core if i'm using Vanilla kernel. If I boot it with 2 cores the system automtic reboot it self.