Hexidecimal

474 posts in this topic

My Configuration

Model - Vostro 1500

CPU - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 7500

LCD Panel - 15.4" inch Wide Screen WXGA+ LCD Display

Memory - 4GB

Video Card - 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600M GT

Hard Drive - 250GB( 1xHFS+ OSX part + 1xHFS+ Time Machine Backup + 1xNTFS Windows 7 + 1xNTFS Files)

Sound Card - Sigmatel 9205

Wireless Cards - Dell Wireless 1390

Bluetooth - Wireless Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)

What works:

Vanilla Kernel, All cores work.

SMBIOS Resolver correctly displays all my system info. also macbook pro bios.

QE/CI works with NVDarwin (8600M GT 128 MB), NO VGA OUT

VGA-out works GR8 (extended and mirrored with full QE/CI support on both screens) when installing with no video kexts then installing KEXT provided for dell XPS 1530 "NVinject.kext_8600M_GT_VGA_out_M1530.zip" <-- Google it it's somewhere here in the forum.

Sound and Mic work with patched AppleHDA.kext. and HDAENABLER check this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...345&st=280#

Webcam works OOB.

Ethernet works with BCM4xxx kext. (selected during install)

Wireless works OOB.

Media Card works with proper kext check this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...345&st=280#

USB works with USBMount Fix (and some times without it , i recommend installing ipc without it then check if its working or not)

Battery Information and Meter work with latest PowerManagementBundle. (currently testing Voodoo powermanagment they say it helps in getting shutdown work)

Time sync (RTC) works with CPUMdisabler (Can't remember exact name, but it's under "Alternate Disablers, last item)

Sleep works like charm with VoodooUSBEHCI.kext follow the instructions to install and clamshell from dell post installer v1.4 be sure to disable USB power up from the bios.

dual Scrolling is working but i dont know how to use it , useing Voodoops2 latest kexts but always remember to delete other ps2 kexts or u'll get your kb hanging with one key pressed

What doesn't work:

Reboot/Restart (Works until you install any injector, then reboot/restart cease to function properly)

EFI Strings ..sUCKS

the only thing left is to get my lappy in a MACBOOK pro chassis

So whats left?

I mean, you solved vga out problem but whats wrong with EFI and what if it is not 100% ok?

as far as i read in this forum, EFI strings are mainly for desktop PCs not for laptops as they dont perform well with ePCI ports ... but all this technical info doesnt matter for me ... the only thing that matters is that i have FULL QE/CI working on all Screens ..now i can do a presentation using keynote which is superior if compared to MS poweroint.

my laptop also sleeps i just close the screen and it goes sleeping and whenever i open it again it reloads in a matter of seconds .... previously my laptop was like a heater(usual 8600m gt heat problem) now the fan rests every here and there.

I have installed sound and video drivers but now sleep restart shutdown don't work anymore :unsure:

now i am fiddling with bradcom 440x eth cause iAtkos v2i didn't installed it.

For those who need help with sound and video, like me (extracted somewhere in this forums:

- audio:

Go to system/library/extensions and delete AppleHDA.kext.zip

Now, Drag the SigmaTel_9205.txt onto the AppleHDAPatcherv1.20.zip.

Once the process is completed press quit.

Now run Kext_Helper_b7.zip,once the program is open drag the supplied AppleHDA.kext.zip.

Then enter your password in the password field and press enter.Once completed.

shutdown the computer and you should have audio!

- video

install the attached NVinject.kext_8600M_GT_VGA_out_M1530.zip

- how to install a kext:

Copy the MyKEXT.kext to /System/Library/Extensions.

Open Terminal and write "sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/MyKEXT.kext" without the quotes

Enter your admin password

Write "sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/MyKEXT.kext"

Write "sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache" this might not exists

Write "sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext" this might not exists

Reboot

hope it helps

I think I have basically everything working that is going to work ;)

My Apple Airport Extreme mini pci-e card arrived yesterday. It's one of the ones based on the Broadcom 4321. Took out the unsupported Intel one, put in the Apple branded BCM94321, turned on the machine, booted into OS X and voila!!

So very happy.

If someone would get restart/shutdown working with nVidia drivers, I would be in heaven. As it is, this laptop has gotten a new lease on life for sure.

It's VERY easy to change. Just under a panel on the bottom. Hardest part is putting the antenna connectors back on the new card just cause they are so small. heh.

I am in Australia, I got mine on eBay for less than $35AUD delivered.

That was a lot of work... finally got an install I'm happy with.

Retail install (my disc is 10.5.1 I think?) updated with 10.5.6 combo updater (I'm kind of scared to upgrade to 10.5.7 in case something breaks... I'll make a backup and try at some point).

I've got Chameleon 2.0 installed to the EFI partition. I've put these extensions in the EFI extensions folder (I'll check if I've missed any) VoodooUSBEHCI (and the IOUSBFamily with the change needed for this), VoodooHDA (with IOAudioFamily and OSvKernDSPLib), VoodooBattery, VoodooPower, dsmos... I think that's it (I installed VoodooPS2 normally and haven't bothered moving it yet). And in extra I've got a DSDT.aml (had to make it myself, the patchers seemed to put things in the wrong place, it's a bit messy though because it was rushed, but seems to work), com.apple.boot.plist and smbios.plist.

The DSDT gets the 8600m GT working and the clamshell sleep on lid-close thing, and means I can use AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. I ended up making the DSDT because every other thing I tried ended up with no QE/CI. I haven't tested VGA and TV out yet, but I suspect that at least VGA out is working.

Only real problem is that shutdown and restart don't work with the graphics working, no one seems to have found a fix.

I also have to work out what to do about wifi, I've got a 3945abg, and I'm upgrading to a 4965agn... maybe I should get another card and run them both (I use Vista too, and want the 4965agn for that).

I also have to work out what to do about wifi, I've got a 3945abg, and I'm upgrading to a 4965agn... maybe I should get another card and run them both (I use Vista too, and want the 4965agn for that).

there's no driver yet for 3945/4965

I was meaning that I'm replacing my 3945 with a 4965 for the draft n, but it would still leave me with no wifi in OS X. So I've ordered a Dell 1490 card to put in beside the 4965 for OS X, and hopefully the 4965 will get support sometime in the future so I can have draft n in OS X as well as windows... and not have to have 2 wifi cards.

Hi guys. I think the only way I can do before I got a complete shutdown is to use sleep and then press the shutdown button for 4secs. In this way, you can avoid cutting off the power while hardrive is running...

HUUUGE thanks to superhai, my vostro finally sleeps. VoodooUSBEHCI.kext sleepfix is epic win.

I'm doing some more fiddling with the DSDT.aml I've made, trying to get it to handle the HDAEnabler stuff too, I'm using AppleHDA now since VoodooHDA seems to be buggy. Then I just have to make plist only kexts that can be loaded from the EFI partition. Which would mean there's nothing left in s/l/e that would get overwritten by an update - which will pretty much be a perfect install in my book (just that annoying shutdown problem with the nvidia drivers...).

Hopefully I'll share it once I'm done, and maybe make a little guide on getting a vanilla/chameleon in EFI partition install going on a Vostro 1500 (8600m GT at least, it may work with the 8400m too though, not sure)... as long as I don't get distracted before I finish anyway.

could you post the distribution you are using (iatkos, kaliway...) and the setup (customization on install)?

I am having problems with iatkos 5 because the keyboard and touchpad doesn't work. I just make it with usb keyb/mouse :(

znx

I'm not using any distribution, just a retail disc (you need to have an osx install already to install it from, unless you used boot-132).

You could try the VoodooPS2 kext, that might get your mouse and touchpad working.

really? nice!

did you have to reinstall anything afterwards like sound or ps2?

Hey Guyz, Sorry for being out of touch.

Yes, I had to install .kexts for Wifi and Sound. Rest all was fine. I am now using 10.5.7 stock xnu kernel, though voodoo-xnu also works fine.

If you see my first post in this thread, you will notice that I use a kext for the broadcom wifi.

Let me know if anybody need a step wise step guide. (post here and drop me a pm)

Hey all suffering from the reboot/shutdown,

I do not know whether this is just with me, or this is what you all call the problem.

My reboot/shutdown kinda works (hold on!). On shutdown, it shutsdown first, the display etc all goes off normal but the HD and other things still shows power. But then after one minute or perhaps only 30 secs, it powers off. And then reboots (if reboot instead of shutdown).

So is this the problem or I somehow got it working?

And yeah, sleep works normal with Voodoo.

I haven't actually tried leaving it for long after I've told it to shut down. That sounds like something that used to happen with my my 965 based desktop though, maybe related. I never bothered to fix that though.

but with retail disc i should need a registration number or some original key... ;)

No need, OSX doesn't have cd keys or registration numbers... I'm not actually sure what's supposed to stop people from installing it on multiple machines - seemingly nothing.

I'm still fiddling, trying to make a new kext for audio at the moment, it'll be a legacy one if I get it working properly - doesn't replace AppleHDA.kext. I want to try to get autoswitching for heaphones/speakers and int/mic in, I'm not sure if it allows the mic switching though, but it should do.

More to learn than I expected lol... my 'kext' seems to get audio working, sound works on the speakers, automatically switches to headphones, but no sound on the headphones. Auto mic switching seems to be working though.

Yes, I had to install .kexts for Wifi and Sound. Rest all was fine. I am now using 10.5.7 stock xnu kernel, though voodoo-xnu also works fine.

And yeah, sleep works normal with Voodoo.

Could you please post more detailed information?

distribution, kext on install process, manual kexts before and after update

thanks!!