Dell Vostro 1500 Mega Thread

Hexidecimal

474 posts in this topic

Could you post your DSDT.aml file, please... pretty please!?

Sorry I've been a bit busy, plus I got distracted trying to get my HSDPA card working instead... would work if it wasn't the stupid HP rebranded one... oh well. Anyway, I've gotta fix the ethernet in my DSDT.aml then I'll upload it (at the moment I'm still using an EFI string for that so time machine will work).

EDIT: Ah actually, mayaswell upload what I've got, it does most of what it needs to (8600m gt graphics working maybe 8400m gs but I'm not sure, clamshell sleep working, no need for hdaenabler or an efi string for audio, appleintelcpupowermanagement and possibly others I'm forgetting), I'll hopefully update it at some point though.... think it's got an extra string for the audio that it doesn't need lol... when I get around to it anyway.

Put it in /Volumes/EFI/Extra if you've installed chameleon to EFI.

DSDT.aml.zip

I can't understand what you are doing... :(

I don't know an alternative to targura's appleHda patcher or voodoohda to enable sound neither Nvinject for 8600 with output so i have been fiddling around with it but no success yet.

thanks

I'm modifying the DSDT.aml for the Vostro 1500.

i.e. since OSX has native support for the 8600m GT, it just needs to be presented in the right way so OSX will recognise it and load the drivers, and the way it is presented can be changed with the DSDT.aml.

For the sound though, as well as the DSDT.aml modifications I'm currently using a modified AppleHDA.kext (no hdaenabler.kext or anything though) as I haven't yet found a better solution.

Yup, if you're using Chameleon 2.0 (not sure if earlier versions have the features it needs) installed normally you can put it into /Extra and it should load it. You don't need any injectors for it (move nvinject out of /s/l/e or something to test it), but the current one needs an EFI string for the ethernet to make time machine work, easy enough to make with efistudio.

It's not really finished though, it's got a couple of lines of code it doesn't need, and I want to add some more... it's been completely stable for me as it is though. But I'll update it and try to get the legacy applehda kexts working so updates are more painless (I think that would leave IOUSBFamily.kext as the only thing that needs to be done manually, unless there's a solution for that or sleep can be fixed with something other that VoodooUSBEHCI.kext)... maybe tomorrow.

i feel like a really newbie here :)

What I know is that chameleon is such a boot loader.

When installing iAtkos 5 i choose pc efi but my bootloader says something like darwin and chameleon 1.0.11.

What i see on chameleon blog is that there's a package that installs v2 so i am going to try it. Hope it won't break my windows partition since i am using it at the office :P

I've never actually used the chameleon installer, so I can't be sure about that since I'm not sure where it installs everything. Chameleon 2.0 automatically detects the windows partition on my machine and boots it though, so even if it installs to the MBR it shouldn't be a problem... but maybe doing a search and having a bit of a read would be best.

Sorry I've been a bit busy, plus I got distracted trying to get my HSDPA card working instead... would work if it wasn't the stupid HP rebranded one... oh well. Anyway, I've gotta fix the ethernet in my DSDT.aml then I'll upload it (at the moment I'm still using an EFI string for that so time machine will work).

EDIT: Ah actually, mayaswell upload what I've got, it does most of what it needs to (8600m gt graphics working maybe 8400m gs but I'm not sure, clamshell sleep working, no need for hdaenabler or an efi string for audio, appleintelcpupowermanagement and possibly others I'm forgetting), I'll hopefully update it at some point though.... think it's got an extra string for the audio that it doesn't need lol... when I get around to it anyway.

Put it in /Volumes/EFI/Extra if you've installed chameleon to EFI.

Wow! Thanks so much for posting this. Can't wait to get a chance to try it out!

And... HSDPA card??? Really... oh oh oh I'm getting excited. I've got one of those too and it works great under XP. It's so nice having 3G Internet available any time all without plugging in some stupid USB thingy.

Mine is a Dell part, I believe it's a "Dell Wireless 5520 Cingular Mobile Broadband (3G/HSDPA) Minicard" according to the Dell utility.

Getting that to work would be the Holy Grail of Hacktinosh!

I haven't had any luck with the HSDPA yet. My card is a Sierra Wireless MC8775, which appears to be suppported by the apple drivers, but my card has been rebranded by HP as an HP hs2300.

Changing the device ids in the drivers Info.plist doesn't seem to work, it gets me a WWAN logo, but when I click it it says 'the card was not detected'. The fixes I'm thinking of from here are trying to change the device id's with an EFI string or DSDT, or work out how to write to the cards EEPROM in linux (which would mean I could use the newer Sierra drivers in windows too).

Trying to find more information about it I think I found someone with the same card as you and the same problem as me, the hardware is supported, but with a different device id.

I've fixed up my DSDT a bit:

Corrected one of the HDEF (audio) strings

Added Time Machine Fix for ethernet

Fixed a problem I was having on 10.5.7 (maybe before and I hadn't noticed too) - not all of the USB ports were working

I might try to get the battery and speedstepping stuff all working with the DSDT, but some of that is CPU specific.

Still haven't had any luck with the HSDPA, gfxutil (for generating efi strings) doesn't seem to support USB (the card is mini pcie but it uses USB) and my attempt at fixing it in the DSDT made no difference.

DSDT.zip

I used these instructions to install the DSDT.aml file:

sudo -s

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 (**THIS ASSUMES INTERNAL DISK IS USED IF NOT PUT IN RIGHT IDENTIFIER) /Volumes/EFI

cp DSDT.aml /Volumes/EFI

Is that the right way to do it? Do you need to be using munky's method to use the DSDT.aml file (i.e. install it to the EFI partition)?

You don't need to have chameleon installed to the EFI partition, but if it is installed to the EFI partition it should go in /Volumes/EFI/Extra

If it's not installed to the EFI partition I believe it loads from /Extra

I can't get the DSDT.aml to have any effect on my installations. I've got two different hard drives that I'm experimenting with. One is installed with the munky EFI partition method and Chameleon 2.x RC. I placed the DSDT.aml file in the Extra folder on the EFI partition. No apparent effect.

The other drive has a vanilla install from a Boot-132, Retail DVD and the 1.x text version of Chameleon. I've tried the DSDT.aml file in /Extra and in /Extra/Extensions. Can't tell any difference.

I wonder if any of these things might cause it:

- permissions / ownership not set correcty

- my BIOS is version A05

My bios is A06, that could make a difference.

And the permissions on mine can be matched with

chmod 755 DSDT.aml

chown root:wheel DSDT.aml

I don't think it should really make any noticeable difference, but for a quick test you should be able to remove any EFI strings or injectors and video will work with QE/CI.

I have just installed Chameleon 2.0 rc bootloader and my vostro fails to wake up after sleep. Does anyone has similar issues? Everything was ok with older chameleon.

EDIT: deleted /Sys../Libr../extensions.mkext and /Extra/extensions.mkext, set pmset -a hibernatemode 3 then back to pmset -a hibernatemode 3 and everything seems to work fine as far. If any issues occur, I'll update the post

EDIT: yeah, chameleon 2.0 sometimes messes up waking process. I went back to chameleon v1.0.11 and everything is ok with sleep

No mouse and/or keyboard for install...

I am trying this on my Vostro 1500. I downloaded the generic.iso burned it and booted it. Then I stuck in Leopard 10.5.6 and it seemed to boot fine. Now I get to an installer screen with the mouse arrow stuck in the upper left corner (the touchpad does nothing) and the first option "Use English for the main language" is highlighted. I tried pressing enter and nothing. How do I proceed with this install? All the guides I read don't seem to have anything for this.

Actually, I stuck with the external keyboard and mouse and went straight for installing FCP (Final Cut Pro). I got the same error message I got from before (0MB VRAM when expecting 64MB). Does this voodoo thing fix this? This is what I really care about (FCP). Once I get that to work, then I will go through the effort of trying to fix all the other stuff (keyboard, mouse, shutdown, ability to do real updates).

I actually tried running Leopard from vmWare "before" and could not find a way to get past this VRAM error.

Prior to that I tried this iATKOS_4i.

BTW, where can I get voodoops2? I tried searching this forum for voodoops2 and got no hits (not even this thread???)

Actually, I stuck with the external keyboard and mouse and went straight for installing FCP (Final Cut Pro). I got the same error message I got from before (0MB VRAM when expecting 64MB). Does this voodoo thing fix this? This is what I really care about (FCP). Once I get that to work, then I will go through the effort of trying to fix all the other stuff (keyboard, mouse, shutdown, ability to do real updates).

I actually tried running Leopard from vmWare "before" and could not find a way to get past this VRAM error.

Prior to that I tried this iATKOS_4i.

BTW, where can I get voodoops2? I tried searching this forum for voodoops2 and got no hits (not even this thread???)

Have you installed the NVInject or something like that yet?

vegaman, i used your dsdt file and graphics are fine, also sleep works.

What doesn't: sound, shutdown/reboot, vga-out.

I just added voodoobattery that worked fine but nothing more.

the base installation was iAtkos 5: smbiosresolver, bcm440x...

I've been busy with exams, hopefully I'll have some more time to get it working better soon.

The sound still needs a patched AppleHDA.kext, it just doesn't need AppleHDAEnabler.kext or an EFI string or anything. I can't find any fix for shutdown/reboot and I must have used the wrong string for the VGA out, I'll see if I can find the right one when I've got the time.