Dell Vostro 1500 Mega Thread

Hexidecimal

474 posts in this topic

Hey all vostro 1510 users...this is an awesome laptop..near perfect to a genuine Macbook. I had Toshiba Sat M300 (Fusion plus series) but its GPU wasnt working so bought this one. Below is the stats of my near perfect Hackbook:

i hv 10.5.6 installed...updated from iAtkos 10.5.4 ( Used stock things no problem)

(None of the following had any noticeable effect of the performance):

Working:

Bootloader - Chameleon 2.0.x beta with graphics...awesome!!!

CI/QE - OOB

Audio except internal mic (external works)

Wifi - detected as Airport (just used IO80211Family.kext)

Bluetooth

Keyboard/touchpad - has to used Nub after updating to 5.6; touch pad is detected as mouse only. tried touchpad drivers bt disappear after restart

USB - all working fine (1 TB ex-hddisk also working smooth)

WebCam

FireWire - detected at speed upto 400Mbps

External Display - Yes (bt not in the Mirror Display settings)

SuperDrive - Works for DVD +- writing

Battery - Working with powermanagement10.5.3 - but sucks it up real fast (1: 45 hrs)

Card reader - IOPCMCIAFamily.kext by chunnan. screen shot attached

Ethernet Realtek 8111C- only worked at 10baseT/UTP (without any driver) very slow on network transfers. Used R1000_1.8.1.kext from psystar...works awesome in automatic mode..note: R1000_1.04 won't work.

Not - working/Issues:

Restart/shutdown takes a lot of time (around 1 min) after the screen goes blank

sleep - NW

Internal mic

Multitouch touchpad - ppl this is possible but not sure how to do it. There are some guides here on insanelymac.

Lemme know if anybody can help with any of the "issues" or needs help with any. I can upload things to mediafire, if required.

Just a cliche suggestion:

In keyboard preferences, you can swap your control and command key. This will make your ctrl as command and things will work like windows.

Lets make a near perfect Hackbook!!!

post-57801-1239520928_thumb.png

What i did:

DVD:iPC 10.5.6 PPF5 + V1.1 PPF

DVD installer boots up with kernel panic, if i press F8 and typed vanilla, then i got dvd to boot up and i got it installed.

I marked only main and PS2mouse & PS2keyboard fix.

Install ends successfully, after restart i got boot0: error( have tried different install configurations but still same error)

I booted up iAtkos 4i DVD and installed Darwin Bootloader and after restart my 10.5.6 install boots up nicely.

Then i added OSX86Tools and installed sound and IOSDHCIBlockDevice kext and NVDarwin video.

But i can't to get touchpad tapping to work?

Model - Vostro 1500

CPU - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 7250

LCD Panel - 15.4" inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display

Memory - 2GB

Video Card - 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600GT

Hard Drive - 160GB( 2x NTFS + 1 OSX part)

Sound Card - 9205

Wireless Cards - Intel 4065agn

Bluetooth - Wireless Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)

First lets start with my configuration

Model - Vostro 1500

CPU - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo t7500

LCD Panel - 15.4" inch Wide Screen WXGA+ LCD Display

Memory - 4GB

Video Card - 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600GT

Hard Drive - 250GB( 1x NTFS +1x FAT32 + 1 OSX part)

Sound Card - 9205

Wireless Cards - the dell broadcom based card 3900 (i dont remember exactly but it works gr8)

Bluetooth - Wireless Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)

Second please let me thank everyone in here as this is my first post in any mac related forum EVER, thank you all for introducing MACOS to DELL USERS and i hope that everyone uses it, MSWIN vista or XP really sucks if compared to mac os its really so stable and so easy.

i read mostly every related topic i googled for a whole week then i went throught the installition steps listed above it was a piece of cake, leopard starts with taking a photo of you and that made me really smile (i know its childish but it made my day)

i installed iWORKs, Utorrent, Flox, crossover, anyx (actually i do not need windows anymore)

i do still have few problems after 3 days of usage

1. my laptop battery drains SUPER fast it stays only for less than one hour although on windows it stays 2 hours 15 minutes

2. my modem is undetected i believe its a conexant modem built in

3. MY MAJOR problem is my laptop keyboard layout (clover+Q) equals (ALT+Q) why not (CTRL+Q) there should be some other keys options and ...etc.. i dont know where they are on the Keyboard. also the HOME, END, PGUP and PGDOWN ..............is there a way to remap the keyboard layout.

4. if there is a ways to run the scrooling option in the touchpad that would be a WOW thing...

so can anyone help with this ?

3. MY MAJOR problem is my laptop keyboard layout (clover+Q) equals (ALT+Q) why not (CTRL+Q) there should be some other keys options and ...etc.. i dont know where they are on the Keyboard. also the HOME, END, PGUP and PGDOWN ..............is there a way to remap the keyboard layout.

System prefs -> Keyboard&Mouse-> Keyboard ->Modifier Keys. There you can bind cmd, alt etc keys :)

i installed iWORKs,...
Welcome to the Mac world!

One of the nice things about the Mac OS is that you really don't need to be too concerned about viruses and other nasty things. There are a few Trojan Horses out there and downloaded copies of iWork are well known to potentially have Trojans.

You didn't say how you got iWork and I'm not trying to be preachy. Just wanted to make you and others aware of that risk.

i had few other installation the past few days,

p.s iatkos_5i ..too bad if compared to iPC 10.5.6

for my nvidia Geforce 8600 GT 256 Ram .. [explination required]

i triend installing iPC with no video kexts then i edited the efi strings using EFI editor QE/CI Worked fine with no Kexts but still my machine doesn't shutdown or restart even the VGA out is not working...as when detecting displays the lapop screen turns black. thus i really do not understand the benifts of these EFI strings and why is it better than nvdarwin kexts!!!!!

keyboard mapping [do anyone have a solution]

i still do have the problem of mapping my keyboard keys noy only CRTL and ALT keys ... many keys are nonfunctional and here is a list

p.s vostro's kb is 102-keyboard not normal PC-101

"\" the backslash key beside the left SHIFT key

"pgup, pgdn, home, end" works only in special input boxes not all boxes

for the power consumption [do anyone have a solution]

there is no kind of power management I've tried everything my machine is always Fully powered and consumes the battery in 1:10 hrs Maximum under windows it used to be 2:30 minutes.

at the END

For those guys who made MACOS available to PC users... YOU ARE ANGELS,

For all Vostro 1500 owners... use MACOS instead of Windows .... and when you are done with your VOSTRO buy a MACBOOK Next time... it is worth every single pound

I just installed iatkos v4i and I can't seem to boot w/out the install disc. Any way around this. Took me forever just to get it going and now I can't seem to boot w/out the disc.

Dell Vostro 1500

1.4ghz

2gb 667mhz

x3100

I just installed iatkos v4i and I can't seem to boot w/out the install disc. Any way around this. Took me forever just to get it going and now I can't seem to boot w/out the disc.

Dell Vostro 1500

1.4ghz

2gb 667mhz

x3100

What options did you select when you installed?

Also, I'm curious as to what you named your OSX partition.

Im kinda noobish so dont flame me too much...

I have a Vostro 2510

Specs

GFX: 256MB GeForce 8400M GS

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T5670 (1.8 GHz)

RAM: 3GB of DDR2

HDD: 250GB drive @ 7200RPM

DVD: 8x +/- Double layer

Wi-Fi:Dell 1395 802.11G Wireless Mini Card

though not a 1500, it's close enough and i will give more specs if needed

plz tell me wich drivers are needed

thx in advance if u help me :)

Hey I have also have a vostro 1500

**********Spec************

Intel® Core ™2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz

3.00 GB RAM

Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated Controller

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Nvidea GeForce 8600M GT - Works

touchpad and keyboard - works

Sigatel Tel High Definition Audio CODEC - Doesnt work

USB Ports - Works

Webcam - Works

CD / DVD drive - works

Shutdown/Sleep - doesnt work

Close lid and sleep - works

I could do with a little help here, lol

Currently everything I want working works except the sound and the Wireless. I would really appreciate a little help getting it working. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have only installed the driver files that came with the disk and im not sure about this whole kext thing.

Thanks all.

Ps. Not sure if this will help but im using the darwin disk. Im a bit of a newb so im not sure what this means lol.

Hey I have also have a vostro 1500

**********Spec************

3.00 GB RAM

Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated Controller

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Nvidea GeForce 8600M GT - Works

touchpad and keyboard - works

Sigatel Tel High Definition Audio CODEC - Doesnt work

USB Ports - Works

Webcam - Works

CD / DVD drive - works

Shutdown/Sleep - doesnt work

Close lid and sleep - works

I could do with a little help here, lol

Currently everything I want working works except the sound and the Wireless. I would really appreciate a little help getting it working. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have only installed the driver files that came with the disk and im not sure about this whole kext thing.

Thanks all.

Ps. Not sure if this will help but im using the darwin disk. Im a bit of a newb so im not sure what this means lol.

Well, much like me, you are not likely to get wireless working anytime soon. That Intel 3945ABG card hasn't got a working driver yet. People are working on it, I think... but it's not there yet.

My plan is to get on eBay and just get myself a Dell Trumobile 1390 card to replace it with.

As for sound, I had heaps of trouble with that as well... to be completely honest, I tried sooo many things to get it to work, I can't remember which one was the one that made it happen :) Sorry I am no help.

I mostly used combinations of the info in the original post of this thread and the Del Post Installer. Some combination of those actually made it happen for me.

I now have my vostro 1500 almost perfect except for wireless (as I said, I am just going to replace the card) and of course restart/shutdown. Sleep is fine though and that's really more important for me.

I have one last bug with regard to VMware Fusion and networking, but other than that, it's a sterling little Hackbook Pro. :D

If only if only. I think my mate found a website where a guy is making a driver for it so i might check that out. Il check the site for the sound though if anyone has a good guide suggestion then i would be very appreciative

If only if only. I think my mate found a website where a guy is making a driver for it so i might check that out. Il check the site for the sound though if anyone has a good guide suggestion then i would be very appreciative

OK!

So when upgrading to 10.5.6 tonight (I installed iAtkos 5i) I lost my sound.

This forced me to figure out what I did, heh.

I used the Dell Post Installer (search these forums) and installed JUST:

sound -> sigmatel 9205

;)

All back and happening now... listening to iTunes and loving it.

I am gonna grab a dw1390 wifi card off eBay. Not waiting around for drivers.

Enjoy!

oh my god lol. Its a miracle. all the over the top schemes. and coding in the terminal and you come along and in 1 download and like 5 clicks and a restart the sound is workin. Brilliant

Now internet is the only thing left to fix

thanks for your help

oh my god lol. Its a miracle. all the over the top schemes. and coding in the terminal and you come along and in 1 download and like 5 clicks and a restart the sound is workin. Brilliant

Now internet is the only thing left to fix

thanks for your help

hah! my pleasure.

I am totally up o date with software update and everything works except that stoopid intel wireless and the shutdown/restart.

Also, it seems my network deterioration problem is unrelated to VMWare...

Gonna have to order that dw1390 :D

I'm at the same stage as u r then. Got my new hard drive today so I have more room now. Thanks again. It also got my wired internet working. I'm hoping a driver gets released soon for wifi soon

I'm at the same stage as u r then. Got my new hard drive today so I have more room now. Thanks again. It also got my wired internet working. I'm hoping a driver gets released soon for wifi soon

Have you tried the current driver?

I am going to back my system up so I have a safely working version to go back to and give it a whirl ;)

tried installing the intel driver and networkselector from the iPC 10.5.6 final DVD.

not only did it not join any networks, but it made my whole system a lot less stable.

suffice it to say i reinstalled afterwards :huh:

i have bid on a broadcom 4311 based card to replace the intel. just easier.

the only other thing i could try till that comes is to rip the atheros based card out of my eee pc, lol.

Regarding my Vostro 1500, IPC 10.5.6 installation

am trying to get my External Display working, as i have an NVIDIA 8600m GT

NVCAP String extracted and it was

"04000000 00000100 02000000 00000007 00000000 "

"BAAAAAAAAQACAAAAAAAABwAAAAA="

===>i installed NVinjectGO 0.2 ===> and changed the NVCAP string

result: Extended mode is working, Mirror Mode shows my lappy display Black, NO QE/CI

===>i installed NVinject 0.2.1 ===> and changed the NVCAP string

result: Extended mode is working, Mirror Mode shows my lappy display Black, NO QE/CI

===>i installed NVDARWIN ===> and changed the NVCAP string

result: External Screen DID NOT WORK :star_smile: but QE/CI works Perfect, my lappy Display Shines like an Apple Angel

did anyone try this before ? or got any hint for me ?

Hi,

I have tried iAtkos 5 but there's always a message like 'you have to power off your computer' and i cannot bypass it. So I've loaded iAtkos v2i and it worked fine:

1.- Burn GParted Live CD

2.- erase everything you had (I did because i wanted to :)) and create 3 partitions: first ntfs, second hfs+ and third fat32 (data)

3.- install windows XP using the first partition

4.- install iAtkos into the second (hfs+). It might need to erase it first using disk utility.

My HW:

- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz

- 4Gb DDR2 667Mhz

- Intel® 965PM Express chipset

- 180Gb SATA

- NVidia 8600M GT 256Mb

- Sigmatel 9205 (under development, almost functional)

- 15,4" 1440x900 DualView

- Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated

- Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (still beta)

- Dell Wireless 355 Module Bluetooth 2.0

- HL-DT-ST DVD +-RW

- MemCard Ricoh

- 9 Cell Lithium Ion Batt

The OS looks fine but i didnt play so much so no kext is loaded now.

OOTB:

- Darwin dual boot. Default is leopard and it added the adata partition as bootable...

- Video: 1024x768. I have some kexts but if someone has a quick guide i really appreciatte :D

- No sound. I dont know if it will work.

- no eth. Im not sure but i think it is supported. Do i need something else??

- no wifi. I know the driver isnt ready yet.

- BlueTooth seems to work but i am not pretty sure.

- Card reader. no tests yet.

- Sleep mode doesn't work.

I have read lots of threads and a couple of blogs but i am not quite sure how far is now my installation from a real mac. I mean running with *official* updates and run commercial software such as office or photoshop.

As you can see, if you are the lucky with a wifi supported hw leopard will run pretty straightforward.

;)

Hi,

I have tried iAtkos 5 but there's always a message like 'you have to power off your computer' and i cannot bypass it. So I've loaded iAtkos v2i and it worked fine:

1.- Burn GParted Live CD

2.- erase everything you had (I did because i wanted to :)) and create 3 partitions: first ntfs, second hfs+ and third fat32 (data)

3.- install windows XP using the first partition

4.- install iAtkos into the second (hfs+). It might need to erase it first using disk utility.

My HW:

- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz

- 4Gb DDR2 667Mhz

- Intel® 965PM Express chipset

- 180Gb SATA

- NVidia 8600M GT 256Mb

- Sigmatel 9205 (under development, almost functional)

- 15,4" 1440x900 DualView

- Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated

- Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (still beta)

- Dell Wireless 355 Module Bluetooth 2.0

- HL-DT-ST DVD +-RW

- MemCard Ricoh

- 9 Cell Lithium Ion Batt

READ the WIKI you'll find the most stable information available, btw if you do not care to have a dual display. try iPC 10.5.6 and while installing choose the hardware specified in my last post in this thread.

i REALLY want my pc to use an external monitor!! :)

so whats the difference between iAtkos and iPC?

actually i do not know, as am a newbie in here. but what i know that it works like charm, as following the guide posted in this thread will help u install it in less than 12 minutes.