Dell Vostro 1500 Mega Thread

Hexidecimal

474 posts in this topic

Just wanted to give an update. I now have full resolution with my x3100 and QE / CI supported. I followed used the leopard graphics update and then replaced the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and installed the Natit.kext from AJ.Allen here --> http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=763465.

I know my internal mic is not working which I hope there is a fix out there or coming soon. Also is there a solution for 2 finger scrolling specifically for the the vostro 1500. The ones I have tried have been very finicky? Is there a solution the the media (play, next, prev, stop, ect) keys. I have the volume ones working. I tried the media keys in the Dell Package but had problems with the trackpad after I installed it. Not sure if that was just me.

I have not tried sleep, shutdown, or time machine yet but restart works fine.

Seems to be running really stable and smooth so far.

Thanks

Just wanted to give an update. I now have full resolution with my x3100 and QE / CI supported. I followed used the leopard graphics update and then replaced the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and installed the Natit.kext from AJ.Allen here --> http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=763465.

I know my internal mic is not working which I hope there is a fix out there or coming soon. Also is there a solution for 2 finger scrolling specifically for the the vostro 1500. The ones I have tried have been very finicky? Is there a solution the the media (play, next, prev, stop, ect) keys. I have the volume ones working. I tried the media keys in the Dell Package but had problems with the trackpad after I installed it. Not sure if that was just me.

I have not tried sleep, shutdown, or time machine yet but restart works fine.

Seems to be running really stable and smooth so far.

Thanks

This is exactly what happened to me when I installed with the DellPackage: the trackpad started acting funny.

The solution to the media keys (play, stop, etc.) is to install Butler and create special events for each button.

I'm glad your persistence paid off with the video.

This is exactly what happened to me when I installed with the DellPackage: the trackpad started acting funny.

The solution to the media keys (play, stop, etc.) is to install Butler and create special events for each button.

I'm glad your persistence paid off with the video.

Hey Descalzo -

Just wondering. I tried butler and seemed to not know how to use it. I added a event for next track but when I select hot key and hit the next track button it doesn't read anything?

Also do you have Sleep and Shutdown working? If I get sleep and shutdown working and find a solution for getting my internal mic working I should be pretty set up I think.

I got my Dell true mobile 1390 wireless card yesterday. Slapped it in and upon boot up I have wireless now. :P

Thanks

M. Carlson sent me a PM saying that sleep worked for him with something called "Superhai's EHCISleepEnabler," whatever that is.

With Butler, I had to try a few different kexts to make it so it would pick up events from the media keys. If I ever get my Vostro booted into OSX in the near future (school just started), I'll see if I can figure out which one I used. I basically tried all of them in the MacGirl thread until one of them worked.

Hi guys,

I'm aware that this is a quite specific issue, but has anyone, by any chance, got the card reader to work with their Vostro? And if yes how did you do that?

Constantin TOVISI

I've never heard of anyone ever getting any dell card readers to work.

Or indeed any other brand of laptop.

Ok so the Superhai's EHCISleepEnabler worked great for Sleep. The only things I need to get working are Shutdown and my Internal Mic and I will have a flawlessly running system. I guess I still need to get my front media keys working but I haven't messed with the kext from macgirls thread yet. Thanks for the help. If anyone has ideas for Shutdown and the Internal Mic I would be glad to hear them.

Thanks

Hi people, I'm a total newbie here; I just used this thread today to get OS X up and running (fifth time lucky!). I'm having some difficulty around the audio part though, and would appreciate some help.

I initially used NVinject to get my 8600m gts working, but now I'm totally unable to find the "appleHDA" patcher; it's site is currently down, and I can't find any mirrors for the life of me - is his site usually up and operational?

I'm wondering how everyone else with the 8600m gts cards are getting both video and audio working correctly if that site is down permenately - are they all using EFT strings as per k3nny's post (no. 96)? If so, will k3nny's .rar file for the 8600m gt work for the gts, or is there another out there?

Thanks

Hi people, I'm a total newbie here; I just used this thread today to get OS X up and running (fifth time lucky!). I'm having some difficulty around the audio part though, and would appreciate some help.

I initially used NVinject to get my 8600m gts working, but now I'm totally unable to find the "appleHDA" patcher; it's site is currently down, and I can't find any mirrors for the life of me - is his site usually up and operational?

I'm wondering how everyone else with the 8600m gts cards are getting both video and audio working correctly if that site is down permenately - are they all using EFT strings as per k3nny's post (no. 96)? If so, will k3nny's .rar file for the 8600m gt work for the gts, or is there another out there?

Thanks

I stopped using the EFI string, because I found that NVinject gave me better performance.

I would suggest using the DellPackage installer to get your sound working.

Hi MegaJames,

I had the same problem finding AppleHDA Patcher as you. Eventually I found a link at modomac.com. Here's a direct download: http://www.mediafire.com/?xpijo2m4pxm

FYI, I was able to get the audio working.

Hi to all.

Yesterday I install iATKOS 4i to my Dell Vostro 1500. Battery meter works, also wifi and sound works (thanks to all authors of manuals).

I read in many threads that bluetooth work "from box". But I my cause "bluetooth hardware is not found" :thumbsdown_anim:

Built-in SD card-reader doesn't work too.

May be I should install some kexts for chipset?

Model - Vostro 1500

CPU - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.0 GHz

LCD Panel - 15.4" inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display

Memory - 2x512 Mb

Video Card - 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600

Hard Drive - 160GB

Sound Card - High Definition Audio 2.0

Wireless Cards - Dell Wireless 139x

Bluetooth - Wireless Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)

Hi to all.

Yesterday I install iATKOS 4i to my Dell Vostro 1500. Battery meter works, also wifi and sound works (thanks to all authors of manuals).

I read in many threads that bluetooth work "from box". But I my cause "bluetooth hardware is not found" :thumbsup_anim:

Built-in SD card-reader doesn't work too.

May be I should install some kexts for chipset?

I have heard tales that if you are dual-booting with Vista, there's something you have to do differently to get the BT to work in OSX. Like booting into Vista, then rebooting into OSX or something. Search around, or someone else on here knows.

You will probably not get your Ricoh Card Reader to work. I haven't heard of anyone getting it to work.

I found this (by devilhood)

Bluetooth:

If your Bluetooth is not being recognized by Mac OS X, here's how to fix it.

The problem arises only for the people that have bought a laptop with Windows Vista pre-installed, or have downloaded and installed the Dell Wireless 350/355 Bluetooth Internal Module Vista drivers.

The Bluetooth Vista driver actually loads a piece of firmware upgrade from Cambridge Silicon Radio (the Bluetooth chip manufacturer) that enables the "Vista Profile Pack" i.e. a set of utilities developed for the Microsoft Bluetooth stack and API.

These utilities, among other things, are used to initialize the Bluetooth chip in a way that allows a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard to be enabled via the BIOS before the boot phase.

Without downgrading the Bluetooth firmware, you can still have it fully functional within Mac OS X if you boot into Vista first and then restart into the Mac.

Here is how to restore default operation of the CSR Bluetooth.

1) Boot into Vista and download from the Dell support site the latest BT 350 DRIVER for Windows XP and unzip it to a folder

2) Find a directory in that folder called "DFU" (usually located in 2KXP/DFU/)

3) Find the file called "DFU.exe", right click it and choose "Run as administrator"

4) Wait until the firmware downgrade has finished, then reboot into Vista and you will find that the bluetooth chip is now not recognized. Go to Device manager and manually re-install the Vista Bluetooth driver (don't use the setup.exe provided by the driver pack, simply install it using the "have disk" way and load the .inf file directly from the Vista driver directory).

5) Reboot into Mac OS X. Voilà

I know this is a dirty workaround (you'll lose the Vista advanced features of "Vista Profile Pack", but it is useful to have a working Bluetooth adapter in Mac OS X if you use this as your primary OS).

Thanks to Topogigi from the Ubuntu forums for the fix.

If you install Intel® INF Chipset drivers, the Bluetooth controller will disappear within Vista unless you re-install the Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Internal Module drivers afterwards.

But there is no DFU.exe in the package :)

What do you think about it?

I found this (by devilhood)

Bluetooth:

If your Bluetooth is not being recognized by Mac OS X, here's how to fix it.

The problem arises only for the people that have bought a laptop with Windows Vista pre-installed, or have downloaded and installed the Dell Wireless 350/355 Bluetooth Internal Module Vista drivers.

The Bluetooth Vista driver actually loads a piece of firmware upgrade from Cambridge Silicon Radio (the Bluetooth chip manufacturer) that enables the "Vista Profile Pack" i.e. a set of utilities developed for the Microsoft Bluetooth stack and API.

These utilities, among other things, are used to initialize the Bluetooth chip in a way that allows a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard to be enabled via the BIOS before the boot phase.

Without downgrading the Bluetooth firmware, you can still have it fully functional within Mac OS X if you boot into Vista first and then restart into the Mac.

Here is how to restore default operation of the CSR Bluetooth.

1) Boot into Vista and download from the Dell support site the latest BT 350 DRIVER for Windows XP and unzip it to a folder

2) Find a directory in that folder called "DFU" (usually located in 2KXP/DFU/)

3) Find the file called "DFU.exe", right click it and choose "Run as administrator"

4) Wait until the firmware downgrade has finished, then reboot into Vista and you will find that the bluetooth chip is now not recognized. Go to Device manager and manually re-install the Vista Bluetooth driver (don't use the setup.exe provided by the driver pack, simply install it using the "have disk" way and load the .inf file directly from the Vista driver directory).

5) Reboot into Mac OS X. Voilà

I know this is a dirty workaround (you'll lose the Vista advanced features of "Vista Profile Pack", but it is useful to have a working Bluetooth adapter in Mac OS X if you use this as your primary OS).

Thanks to Topogigi from the Ubuntu forums for the fix.

If you install Intel® INF Chipset drivers, the Bluetooth controller will disappear within Vista unless you re-install the Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Internal Module drivers afterwards.

But there is no DFU.exe in the package :)

What do you think about it?

I don't know...

I downloaded the file from your link and saw that, indeed, there was no dfu. So what I'd do now is either try different downloads or PM someone on this thread who is running Vista.

Sorry.

SOLVED

-----------------------------------------

How To activate (turn on) 355 Dell Bluetooth in Mac (Leopard 10.5.4) after Vista on Dell Vostro 1500

You need installed Windows. I did it in XP.

1. Boot in Windows.

2. Download Dell patch "bluetooth on" R159805.exe from the official site. This is downgrade patch from Vista to Vista or from Vista to XP.

3. Extract it to any folder and run Btw_on.exe. You can see blink of black console window about 1-2 sec.

4. Device will be active. You can see baloon notification about it. Then you can install latest driver for XP or reboot into Mac and continue working.

Based on solution of Topogigi (Ubintuforums) and devilhood's manual for Inspiron

-----------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Just installed OS X finally after 15 retries on my Dell Vostro 1500. I used the Leo4Allv3 distribution, which was the only one that did not bring up a kernel panic. Now that it is installed, i could get the audio and the wifi working. But the problem is that my DVD RW drive is not detected by OS X...

My system Specs are:

Dell Vostro 1500

2GB DDR2 RAM

Nvidia 8400M GS

Core2 1.4 GHz proc

Distribution used: Leo4Allv3

Can this be fixed without a reinstall? Because i've got this working after a lot of retries and i dont want a reinstall to mess it all up again...

Hey guys,

Just installed OS X finally after 15 retries on my Dell Vostro 1500. I used the Leo4Allv3 distribution, which was the only one that did not bring up a kernel panic. Now that it is installed, i could get the audio and the wifi working. But the problem is that my DVD RW drive is not detected by OS X...

My system Specs are:

Dell Vostro 1500

2GB DDR2 RAM

Nvidia 8400M GS

Core2 1.4 GHz proc

Distribution used: Leo4Allv3

Can this be fixed without a reinstall? Because i've got this working after a lot of retries and i dont want a reinstall to mess it all up again...

Dude, I have NO IDEA. From all I've read, the DVD drive is like the only thing guaranteed to work no matter what. If you don't get any answers here maybe you should search the forum or start a thread. Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to setup VMWare to run Kalyway 10.5.2 on their Vostro 1500?

Mine is acting very random. Sometimes when I install I can get all the way to a colorful screen with the rotating pinwheel but it hangs there... and sometimes it wont get that far. Any help?

Has anyone been able to setup VMWare to run Kalyway 10.5.2 on their Vostro 1500?

Mine is acting very random. Sometimes when I install I can get all the way to a colorful screen with the rotating pinwheel but it hangs there... and sometimes it wont get that far. Any help?

Someone made a VMWare image that has it pre-installed. You might want to look into that.

• 2 weeks later...

About virtual machines.

I installed VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop and compare it, using XP.

On some forums I read that Parallels slower but with more integration.

That's right, and now I'm using Parallels only.

Dell Vostro 1500, 10.5.4 Leo4all