Dell Vostro 1500 Mega Thread

Hexidecimal

474 posts in this topic

I'm pretty new to this OSX86 scene (not too new) but I'd like to give some help to the people who can't install iATKOS v4.0i (and maybe also v2.0i) properly. This is what I did:

- Use GParted to delete everything on my HDD. I also set up a new partition scheme (MBR) even though I already had it - just to feel "fresh".

- I then reset my BIOS settings (A06). After that I changed boot order->HDD-only, HDD Acoustic->Performance, SATA Operation->AHCI, USB Emulation->Disabled, Adapter Warnings->Disabled. I'm not sure if the other four are compulsory, but AHCI is to cure the "blinking cursor" problem.

- I installed from iATKOS DVD as usual with default settings + SMBIOS + Broadcom 440x driver (depends on your model).

- When installation was finished, I went into BIOS again and changed AHCI->ATA. This is to prevent the "stop sign" from showing up.

I'm having problems with my GeForce 8600m GT and Sigmatel 9205. The former didn't work with NVInstaller 0.52 (latest) for some reason. The latter refuses to work even with HDAPatcher and proper txt file. I used to have it working under v1.0i by applying the patch, restart, repair permission and applying the patch IMMEDIATELY after repairing. I'm not sure if this order is correct though. I'm going to try the DellPackage which has many drivers related to Dell laptops and see if it works. Even if graphics work, the reboot/shutdown problem probably will occur (small sacrifice?) without installing 9.2.0 netkas kernel which is old now and may not work properly (actually I have never tried it). Any help that addresses any of my problems would be greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty new to this OSX86 scene (not too new) but I'd like to give some help to the people who can't install iATKOS v4.0i (and maybe also v2.0i) properly. This is what I did:

- Use GParted to delete everything on my HDD. I also set up a new partition scheme (MBR) even though I already had it - just to feel "fresh".

- I then reset my BIOS settings (A06). After that I changed boot order->HDD-only, HDD Acoustic->Performance, SATA Operation->AHCI, USB Emulation->Disabled, Adapter Warnings->Disabled. I'm not sure if the other four are compulsory, but AHCI is to cure the "blinking cursor" problem.

- I installed from iATKOS DVD as usual with default settings + SMBIOS + Broadcom 440x driver (depends on your model).

- When installation was finished, I went into BIOS again and changed AHCI->ATA. This is to prevent the "stop sign" from showing up.

I'm having problems with my GeForce 8600m GT and Sigmatel 9205. The former didn't work with NVInstaller 0.52 (latest) for some reason. The latter refuses to work even with HDAPatcher and proper txt file. I used to have it working under v1.0i by applying the patch, restart, repair permission and applying the patch IMMEDIATELY after repairing. I'm not sure if this order is correct though. I'm going to try the DellPackage which has many drivers related to Dell laptops and see if it works. Even if graphics work, the reboot/shutdown problem probably will occur (small sacrifice?) without installing 9.2.0 netkas kernel which is old now and may not work properly (actually I have never tried it). Any help that addresses any of my problems would be greatly appreciated.

The DellPackage works for both Sigmatel Audio and 8600m GT. In fact, I just tried using an EFI string for video, and the DellPackage one gives me better performance. Thought this info might be interesting. I used the EFI string provided by the EFIStudio people. If anyone has a better string, let me know.

Thanks for the info. I had to install the package twice for it to work. Is there currently anyway to fix the restart/shutdown problem? I don't use sleep so I don't really care if sleep doesn't work. If this problem is fixed then my install is pretty perfect.

@ Descalzo : Just out of curiosity, why are you still using 10.5.2? It's stated in your signature.

Thanks for the info. I had to install the package twice for it to work. Is there currently anyway to fix the restart/shutdown problem? I don't use sleep so I don't really care if sleep doesn't work. If this problem is fixed then my install is pretty perfect.

@ Descalzo : Just out of curiosity, why are you still using 10.5.2? It's stated in your signature.

AKAIK, there's no fix for sleep without sacrificing graphics.

Thanks. I updated my sig.

@Descalzo - I have a dell vostro, but I have the GMA x3100 intel graphics and the intel 4965 wireless. Which wireless do you have? I thought about getting a NVidia graphics and another wireless card to replace these so I can get this going better? Would there be any problems with that or any suggetions?

Thanks

Also where do I get the DellPackage?

Umm, sorry. I forgot to add : your Leopard partition must not have spaces or special characters. Try "HD".

Btw, if you already have a Intel GMA X3100 then you cannot upgrade to a nVidia GPU. Only those with nVidia GeForce 8400M GS can upgrade to a GeForce 8600M GT; no other graphics upgrades are available.

Ok no big deal on the graphics. I will work around that. I was using MacOSX for the partition name? Is that a problem? I am going to get the dell 1390 mini-pci though. I saw somewhere else that you should have flash cache disabled. I will try again when I get home tonight.

Thanks

Ok no big deal on the graphics. I will work around that. I was using MacOSX for the partition name? Is that a problem? I am going to get the dell 1390 mini-pci though. I saw somewhere else that you should have flash cache disabled. I will try again when I get home tonight.

Thanks

I don't know exactly what to tell you on the crashing during install.

As for partition name, if there are no spaces, you should be fine. MacOSX should be fine.

The Dell 1390 card will be awesome. I have heard tales of people getting limited usability from Intel cards, but not usually successfully, and always limited, as I said.

I don't know anything about flash cache. Please keep us updated on this.

Ok I have what appears to be a fairly stable install now except for one problem. I can not get the laptop display to work at all when I install the intel GMA x3100 kext. It works with no accelleration on 1024 x 768. but if I install the kext none of the sleep tricks or anything seems to be working. At that point all I can do is use a external monitor until I delete the kext then I am back to 1024 x 768.

Any thoughts. I must have done the sleep tricks wrong.

Thanks

I used the intel GMA files from the Kalyway 10.5.2 install dvd and am getting my native resolution now of 1680x1050, but quartz extreme is not enabled. Also my mouse is all messed up. I can click and use it but it is artifact.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Would the kernel have anything to do with some of my problems? What options did you select when you installed?

I tried the vanilla kernel, but I don't remember what else.

Edit:

I'm pretty sure I selected 9.2.2 kernel (stock).

Here is where I am at so far. I figured out that if I change my screen resolution from 1680 x 1050 to the one just below 1600 x 1000 my mouse goes back to normal. The only problem with this resolution 1600 x 1000 is it doesn't look as crisp as the 1680 x 1050 it looks a little bit fuzzy but is usable. Still no quartz extreme yet.

Hi guys,

I don't know it this is really the best place to post this message but I did everything else that I could think of with the issue I'm facing.

I'm running Mac OS X on my Dell Vostro for about two weeks now, and I'm really happy with it. Everything seems to be working fine, except the known issues like shut down, sleep, reboot and the power management.

Though the problem I have is to get Photoshop working on this laptop. I have installed pretty much everything in the CS3 software suite (Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Acrobat Proffessional) and everything is working just how I would expect it to do, exept Photoshop.

When I try to start Photoshop it says "The application Photoshop quit unexpectedly". Now, this is my firts computer running Mac OS, so I don't know everything about it yet. But I googled for this issue, and it seems that on "regullar" Macs this sometimes occures as well. It is documented even on the Adobe website here.

Now, i followed that page, and the other pages I found online, but none of the "solutions" seemed to work in my case, reason for wich I assume the problem is either the "hacked" Mac OS or the specific hardware configuration on my Vostro.

The probelem now is that I need Photoshop for my work, so I'll have to make a dual boot with XP till I'll find a solution for this issue, which I'k trying as much as possible to avoid.

My question now is, has anyone got Photoshop working on Mac OS running on a Vostro? Did you also face the same issue as me? If yes, how did you solve it?

Also, even if you're not running Photoshop, do you have any ideea about what could the reason for this situation be? Also, do you know what would the solution be in this case?

Thank you in advance for your time,

Constantin TOVISI

Hi guys,

I don't know it this is really the best place to post this message but I did everything else that I could think of with the issue I'm facing.

I'm running Mac OS X on my Dell Vostro for about two weeks now, and I'm really happy with it. Everything seems to be working fine, except the known issues like shut down, sleep, reboot and the power management.

Though the problem I have is to get Photoshop working on this laptop. I have installed pretty much everything in the CS3 software suite (Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Acrobat Proffessional) and everything is working just how I would expect it to do, exept Photoshop.

When I try to start Photoshop it says "The application Photoshop quit unexpectedly". Now, this is my firts computer running Mac OS, so I don't know everything about it yet. But I googled for this issue, and it seems that on "regullar" Macs this sometimes occures as well. It is documented even on the Adobe website here.

Now, i followed that page, and the other pages I found online, but none of the "solutions" seemed to work in my case, reason for wich I assume the problem is either the "hacked" Mac OS or the specific hardware configuration on my Vostro.

The probelem now is that I need Photoshop for my work, so I'll have to make a dual boot with XP till I'll find a solution for this issue, which I'k trying as much as possible to avoid.

My question now is, has anyone got Photoshop working on Mac OS running on a Vostro? Did you also face the same issue as me? If yes, how did you solve it?

Also, even if you're not running Photoshop, do you have any ideea about what could the reason for this situation be? Also, do you know what would the solution be in this case?

Thank you in advance for your time,

Constantin TOVISI

Most problems with specific applications on Hackintosh machines can be traced to the AppleSMBIOS.kext. Sometimes you have to try several different versions with your machine before you get things to work right. I had a problem on my Vostro for quite a while where DVD Player would play from DVDs, but would crash when trying to play a VIDEO_TS folder from a DVD I'd ripped to a hard drive.

Basically, Adobe apps and many of Apple's iApps have issues with Hackintoshes. The most compatible AppleSMBIOS.kext I've used is macdotnub's, which you can easily find by Googling. Also, you can try Superhai's SMBIOSResolver with your existing vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext, but I didn't have much luck with that.

Of course, also try searching here for Photoshop specifically, and that should give some more options.

Good luck!