AppleIntelPIIXATA kext fully working for all ICHx Mobo (All Sata Channels working)

-DuNe-

418 posts in this topic

I'm attempting to use the IOATAFamily driver found in this thread on a Boot-132 disk for my MPC T3100 laptop. I'm using a Leopard 10.5.0 install DVD. Before extracting the kext and placing it in my Extra/Extensions folder on the Boot-132 disk, I'd get the "Still waiting on root device" error. With this installed, I'm now getting this error:

23IOATABlockStorageDevice is not compatible with its superclass, 20IOBlockStorageDevice superclass changed?

Failed to load extension com.Apple.iokit.IOATABlockStorage.

Couldn't alloc class "AppleATADisk Driver"

Then I get a two-line message saying it "got boot device" with this identifier: “disk0s3,” though I stated “-rd=disk0s0" in my f8 boot options. After sitting for a few moments the DVD drive starts reading, then the system reboots.

I'm also using the following kext files on the Boot-132 disk: AppleAC97Audio, AppleACPIPlatform, ApplePS2COntroller, ATIRadeon 9700, and IOPCMCIAFamily.

The T3100 has a SATA controller, based on the Intel 82801FMB (ICH7...?). The BIOS settings are limited, showing only that the hard drive is the first IDE device and the DVD-ROM is the second. I've checked the info.plist file inside the IOATAFamily driver, and the chip's device number (0x26538086) is supported.

I'm obviously missing something here...could someone point me in the right direction?

I have to report partial succes with this driver on my Intel DP43TF motherboard (Intel P43 chipset with ICH10). The sata controller is working perfectly, all drivers (4) are detected with 4Gb of ram. However I have an issue regarding USB. I am not sure if this is the right thread or kext that is causing this, but the usb controller is part of the ICH10 chip, so I assume that it is.

USB devices do not work if they are connected to the front or back ports of my motherboard. If one would connect them to a USB hub and then connect devices to that hub the devices work properly. A device connected to the back port with multiple devices in it (Wacom Intuos 3 tablet, which has a seperate mouse and keyboard HID) is working whilst this device has an build-in USB hub.

What can cause this non-functioning/malfunctioning and how can I fix it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My current system kext IOATAFamily.kext is loaded, whilst the version of that kext is 2.0.0. The current version of the modified IOATAFamily.kext is 1.7.3f1. Checked with 'kextload -f' the returning argument was:

loaded version 2.0.0 of module com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily differs from requested version 1.7.3f1

Will updating the version info take care of the update or do I need to do something else?

Very badly need help , I have IntelDG33FB Motherboard, Kalyway 10.5.6   IDE / ATA isn't working. My Samsung SH-S202J CD DVDW (IDE) is not getting detected. I used the same drive to boot up and Install Kalyway 10.5.2 but after Install and also after updating to 10.5.6 it still isn't detecting the DVD drive. I've used the latest IOATAFamily.kext file from here this very post but no use. any kind of help would be very much appreciated.  :(

Thank You

Very badly need help , I have IntelDG33FB Motherboard, Kalyway 10.5.6   IDE / ATA isn't working. My Samsung SH-S202J CD DVDW (IDE) is not getting detected. I used the same drive to boot up and Install Kalyway 10.5.2 but after Install and also after updating to 10.5.6 it still isn't detecting the DVD drive. I've used the latest IOATAFamily.kext file from here this very post but no use. any kind of help would be very much appreciated.  :)

Thank You

On my system (10.5.6 retail) the kext does not load, whilst the versioning is lower than the 'apple version'. You can find out if the system can load the kext by using the terminal and using 'kextload -t IOATAFamily.kext'. If it returns 'kext apears to be loadable' then there is something else wrong with your system.

On my system (10.5.6 retail) the kext does not load, whilst the versioning is lower than the 'apple version'. You can find out if the system can load the kext by using the terminal and using 'kextload -t IOATAFamily.kext'. If it returns 'kext apears to be loadable' then there is something else wrong with your system.

The driver was present in the Installation disk  :censored2: Now works fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all,

Here you can find the newest AppleIntelPIIXATA kext driver for Intel ICHx chipsets.(ICH0 to 8 and 9)

All your sata ports should now work correctly. No more need of the old AppleVIAATA kext.

This has been tested and is know to work on the Asus P5K, P5K-E and Asus P5K Premium.

It should work with all mobos ICH based : 965 DS3, P5B, P5K-SE, P5K-VM, P5K pro etc etc.

Drive(s) are UDMA enabled, and fully working without i/o errors and this even with more than 3GB.

AppleVIAATA should be removed or at least IChx ID inside of it to avoid conflicts.(In case your AppleViaAta handle other hardware than IChx: Marvell IDE for exemple)

This fix works as well in IDE Enhanced Mode or in IDE Compatible Mode.

Give me feedback for any issues.

The two ICH9 sata controllers in action :

ichxataca1.jpg

Here the link of the IOATAFamily kext with the new AppleIntelPIIXATA embedded in its plugin folder:

06.02.2009:

Just a little update for 10.5.6 users, AppleIntelPIIXATA is still the same but IOATAFamily kext change so i did this little modification for you:

Leopard 10.5.6 : Here

28.02.2008:

NEW VERSION V1.1 and also TIGER VERSION (updated the Plist and changed the controller code detection in a cleaner way):

Leopard 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 : Here

Tiger 10.4.1x : Here

Installation :

If you use Kalyway distro , you can use kexthelper (you will find it in Application folder).

To remove AppleViaAta kext no need to open a terminal :

browse to your Extensions folder with the Finder, find the AppleViaAta kext and delete it.

After that , browse to your Library folder and delete the Extensions.mkext file

Reboot.

when back to your desktop open the diskutil app and do a repair permission.

if you use others distro , you can download kexthelper and use the same method than for the Kalyway.

If you do not want to use kexthelper do this:

Browse with the finder to your Extensions folder. Backup the IOATAFAmily.kext where you want.

Delete the one in the Extensions Folder. Drop in the Extensions folder the new one with the fix.

Delete AppleViaAta.kext if you want.

Open a terminal and type:

sudo -s (the system will ask you your password)

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

close the terminal and reboot.

when back do a repair permission with disk util.

Thanks DuNe

its a Great Work from you it works out of the Box with

Asus P5k-VM 8 Gb Ram ;O) 1 TB HD Ati Radeon Xt 2600 HD

Volpe_

• 3 weeks later...

hi it seems that my IOATAFamily.kext couldnt load after the 10.5.7 update. I`ve tried to change the version in the info.plist and version.plist to 2.0.1 but i get errors in verbose mode.

Anyone here manage to change the IOATAFamily.kext for 10.5.7 update?

hi it seems that my IOATAFamily.kext couldnt load after the 10.5.7 update. I`ve tried to change the version in the info.plist and version.plist to 2.0.1 but i get errors in verbose mode.

Anyone here manage to change the IOATAFamily.kext for 10.5.7 update?

I've sent a message to DuNe. I thought version boost will help.

I've sent a message to DuNe. I thought version boost will help.

I had the same probs after installing 10.5.7 - i deleted all old kexts and reinstalled it - touch extensions and deleted mkext... tada - every channel worked fine as before! (Asus p5K mobo).

But i still have probs with sound (Alc 883) - if someone can help!?

I got a weird problem after 10.5.7 update.

My IOATAFamily.kext doesnt seem to load. Seems that AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext is not loading either with 10.5.7.

I reinstalled IOATAFamily.kext from 10.5.6 in the first post, into S/L/E and Extra folder on EFI partition. This works but i get intermittent detection of my hard disk. Sometimes AppleIntelPIIXATA load sometimes doesnt. Sometimes i get into osx and sometimes i dont, it just hangs at verbose mode, getting boot UUID but sometimes it works.

Btw im using abit ip35-e board Sata in IDE mode.

Weird problem im having here. Anybody experience the same problem?

finally i've decided to upgrade from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 and it just worked. IOATAfamily for 10.5.6 was in /Extra on EFI partition. there was really no need to fix anything just Apple logo -> Software Update... then the computer rebooted twice and voila! Just like real Mac

finally i've decided to upgrade from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 and it just worked. IOATAfamily for 10.5.6 was in /Extra on EFI partition. there was really no need to fix anything just Apple logo -> Software Update... then the computer rebooted twice and voila! Just like real Mac

Hi, glad it work for u, but for me IOATAFamily doesnt load. Sometimes it does sometime it doesnt. What is your version of IOATAFamily.kext in System/Library/Extensions?

Hi, glad it work for u, but for me IOATAFamily doesnt load. Sometimes it does sometime it doesnt. What is your version of IOATAFamily.kext in System/Library/Extensions?

i forgot to mention that i'm using Extensions.mkext in /Extra. the one in /S*/L*/E* is 2.0.1 but the one in /Extra 2.0.0

got respone from DuNe

10.5.7 is out so can you please update your IOATAfamily.kext for it. thank you

I will do that, don't worry. Actually , i am very busy at my job so i will try to do that for this week end ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am noob in Retail Leo install, currently using Leo 10.5.4 retail install disc.

my motherboard is Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4.

I am installing retail via Boot 132 method and My BIOS setup is like this:

- Limit CPUID - Disabled

- No Execute Memory Prot - Enabled

- CPU Enhanced Halt - Enabled

- CPU EIST Func - Enabled

- Virtualization Tech - Enabled

- ACPI Suspend Type - S3

- PME Event Wake up - Enabled

- Power on By Ring - Disabled

- HPET Support - Enabled

- HPET Mode - 64 bit

- SATA RAID/AHCI Mode - Disabled

- SATA Port Native Mode - Disabled

- Onboard SATA/IDE Device - Enabled

- Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode - Disabled

Unfortunately, in this board I donot have option for Legacy IDE, only AHCI which i don't want to change as I have more than 2 SATA HDDs and

it seems that SATA Port Native Mode - Disabled means Legacy IDE.

when I used this 10.5.7 IOATAFamily.kext and boot from boot 132 CD i cannot see my SATA HDD, only IDE DVD is detected in Diskutil.

Strangely though when i boot via kalyway i can see my HDD without any problem with same BIOS settings.

system Ram is 2 GB which i guess is not a problem anymore. but can anyone help me what i need to do in order to be able to see my HDD during install?

btw my SATA is ICH9-R when i see via Kalyway install. its strange when i used all the kexts provided in the kalyway disc same result came :(

may be its because i am using 10.5.4 retail and kalyway is 10.5.2.

please also specify all the kexts needed along with IOATAFamily.kext for my ease as may be this problem would require some other kexts.

Thanks for your help in advance :)

edited on : 28-may-2009

Hi,

Can the owner of this code please add 0x25a28086 in the ATA/IDE as magic string ? I had to add this string to make my motherboard work otherwise it was using GenericATA which is so slow. Here is the info of my motherboard.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherb...75/P4SCT+II.cfm

Supermirco P4SCT+II

Chipset

• Intel® 875P chipset

• MCH + 6300ESB + FWH

Thanks

Hari

I installed the newest IOATAFamily.kext, and deleted AppleVIAATA.

But my ide DVD driver doesn't work.

And then, i seem the AppleIntelPIIXATA coundn't load.

How can i do, Please help!

My motherboard is ASUS P5Q-E.

OSX 10.5.7.