AppleIntelPIIXATA kext fully working for all ICHx Mobo (All Sata Channels working)

-DuNe-

418 posts in this topic

Thanks !

I was able to install SL on my PC now...

But when trying to reboot on my newly installed SL, still the "Still waiting for root device"

I don't understand why it is working with the installer but not with my installed SL :/

Any idea ?

Thanks !

I was able to install SL on my PC now...

But when trying to reboot on my newly installed SL, still the "Still waiting for root device"

I don't understand why it is working with the installer but not with my installed SL :/

Any idea ?

did you correctly repair permissions ?

Hey Dune, thanks so much for the release. I think there are a few bugs though. I'm running on ICH8R with AHCI disabled on an e520 (Autodetect/ATA mode according to the BIOS) With this kext, I can only access the first 2 sata ports. The last 2 aren't recognized at all. Also, the device name appears blank in system profiler, so it's not properly injecting the names. Finally, and this is a problem in your kext in leopard too, but sometimes the kext loads, sometimes it doesn't. For example, it took 3 boots after installing this kext for it to get root device and boot...

I hope you can figure out the kinks in this, thanks for everything buddy =)

Hey Dune, thanks so much for the release. I think there are a few bugs though. I'm running on ICH8R with AHCI disabled on an e520 (Autodetect/ATA mode according to the BIOS) With this kext, I can only access the first 2 sata ports. The last 2 aren't recognized at all. Also, the device name appears blank in system profiler, so it's not properly injecting the names. Finally, and this is a problem in your kext in leopard too, but sometimes the kext loads, sometimes it doesn't. For example, it took 3 boots after installing this kext for it to get root device and boot...

I hope you can figure out the kinks in this, thanks for everything buddy =)

Never see such bugs on all my config(ICH7R, ICH9R, ICH8 and ICH8R ) here and the last two ports are correctly seen on all of them. Are you sure to install the Kext correctly ???

Never see such bugs on all my config(ICH7R, ICH9R, ICH8 and ICH8R ) here and the last two ports are correctly seen on all of them. Are you sure to install the Kext correctly ???

I dropped it in E/E on PC-EFI v10.5. When I drop SuperVIAATA.kext in the same folder (E/E), it works perfectly. I'm using that for now. i wish I could give you more detail but I'm honestly lost on this problem. =\ Your kexts always worked fine in leopard and i installed it the same way. (Besides the sometimes not loading on boot, but i could live with that) Heres a link to the kext that works for me now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr46GjLFoHk

I dropped it in E/E on PC-EFI v10.5. When I drop SuperVIAATA.kext in the same folder (E/E), it works perfectly. I'm using that for now. i wish I could give you more detail but I'm honestly lost on this problem. =\ Your kexts always worked fine in leopard and i installed it the same way. (Besides the sometimes not loading on boot, but i could live with that) Heres a link to the kext that works for me now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr46GjLFoHk

sorry my bad, just discovers that some ich8 id are missing, i post a revision now

Thanks for the hard work =)

we were waiting this kext for a long time.

But I have a question, when I put it in extra/extensions folder, it doesn't load...what are the depencies?

what other kexts do I have to put in extra folder?

NEW VERSION AVAILABLE

Hi Everybody !

Just a few words to announce the release of the long waited Snow Leopard 64 bits AppleIntelPIIXATA !

You Can find it on the first post as usual :)

Again, i am sorry to have taken so long time to release it.

Anyway, Enjoy ;-)

DuNe

Edit: Added a universal 32 & 64bits version

Than you very much.

Dune, after adding the missing ICH8 ID's, my other sata ports were detected perfectly! Thank you for fixing that. My only problem is when dropped in E/E, it only gets root device when I boot with the "ignore caches." If I boot in verbose or regular mode, I get the still waiting for root device error. Anybody else have this problem and/or have any advice?

Hi, I have a GIGABYTE 965P-S3 motherboard with AHCI enabled which works for my SATA HDD, while my Pioneer DVR-112D is on IDE so Snow Leopard doesn't detect it. On my previous Leopard installation I used JMicronATA.kext and it worked, however that doesn't work on Snow Leopard.

I also tried your IOATAFamily.kext and AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from netkas but both failed at what AppleVIAATA.kext (modified for Snow Leopard) succeeded - detecting my DVD Drive.

To sum it up, my Pioneer is now working with AppleVIAATA.kext but after reading how buggy it is I was just wondering if there is a better solution to my problem.

Thanks.

please, can someone answer to my question :unsure:

how to make it load from extra folder? it doesn't load from it.

Simply put it in /Extra/Extensions OR make Extensions.mkext of all the the kext in /Extra/Extensions (including the new AppleIntelPIIXATA) and put it in /Extra.

Simply put it in /Extra/Extensions OR make Extensions.mkext of all the the kext in /Extra/Extensions (including the new AppleIntelPIIXATA) and put it in /Extra.

Hum, that's not enough. you have to be sure that permissions are set correctly. When you add an extension in E/E i advise you to use Kext Utility that does all the job for you : repairing permissions and build the Extensions.mkext.

Use of it is easy , you have just to drop your Extras/Extension folder on its Icon and it does the job. Anyway, if you simply launch Kext Utility it repair permissions and build Extensions.mkext for E/E and S/L/E.

Furthermore, if you prefer to use E/E folder it is not necessary to put into it the entire IOATAFamily.kext.Just extract the AppleINtelPIIXATA from it and put it on your E/E folder.

I hope this little explanations will help all of you.

yours faithfully :(

DuNe

Hum, that's not enough. you have to be sure that permissions are set correctly. When you add an extension in E/E i advise you to use Kext Utility that does all the job for you : repairing permissions and build the Extensions.mkext.

Use of it is easy , you have just to drop your Extras/Extension folder on its Icon and it does the job. Anyway, if you simply launch Kext Utility it repair permissions and build Extensions.mkext for E/E and S/L/E.

Furthermore, if you prefer to use E/E folder it is not necessary to put into it the entire IOATAFamily.kext.Just extract the AppleINtelPIIXATA from it and put it on your E/E folder.

I hope this little explanations will help all of you.

yours faithfully :thumbsup_anim:

DuNe

Thanks buddy, got it working nicely =). You might consider injecting device names, as all mine appear blank. Simply cosmetic but maybe someone has a real use for it =P

Thanks buddy, got it working nicely =). You might consider injecting device names, as all mine appear blank. Simply cosmetic but maybe someone has a real use for it =P

hum, that's something bizarre. The system take the device name from the plist and strangely here does not.

Thanks!

I get no controller name in SP too.

Can you please post the source code or the changes you made to apple's original to make it work with all ports?

The missing name in SP does not come from the source changes. Those ones are just for the second controller detection. The detection of differents ICHx come from the plist files. So i think that the missing name come from elsewhere. Anyway you can have a look at the Dense wiki, he posts a long time ago my diff to the original Apple code, I put some explanations in the source codes so some of you will understand where are the problem with the original code and what i changed:

http://www.mlvision.com.au/mediawiki/index...telPIIXATA.kext

All right, now it loads ok from extra folder,and it works... But only with -f flag.

the boot process hangs after a time, if I don't boot with it...

What can be the reason?

By the way, I boot in 64bit mode, never tried 32bit.I'll try to look if I've got the same issue in 32bit mode.