Novell Desktop 10

scousi

15 posts in this topic

Yeah - try here instead:

http://www.linuxedge.org/?q=node/55

No doubt they look slick but that just ain't gonna cut it if they want to take on windows. They are going to have to be at least as compatible with windows as mac os is if not more. A windows user won't look twice if they can't play WMV's or edit word documents! They also have to follow apple's example and bundle great applications with the operating system. I don't mean pre-installing every linux browser or text editor under the sun - that doesn't achieve anything. I mean they need to have four or five killer apps that they can directly associate with the OS. That's where microsoft has missed a trick - there is very little you can do with windows out of the box, but with apple and hopefully novell you get a great set of applications to get you started.

They also have to get the right price (or even better get dell or hp to start offering it as a factory preinstall option - thats where the profits really lie)

Yeah - try here instead:

http://www.linuxedge.org/?q=node/55

No doubt they look slick but that just ain't gonna cut it if they want to take on windows. They are going to have to be at least as compatible with windows as mac os is if not more. A windows user won't look twice if they can't play WMV's or edit word documents! They also have to follow apple's example and bundle great applications with the operating system. I don't mean pre-installing every linux browser or text editor under the sun - that doesn't achieve anything. I mean they need to have four or five killer apps that they can directly associate with the OS. That's where microsoft has missed a trick - there is very little you can do with windows out of the box, but with apple and hopefully novell you get a great set of applications to get you started.

They also have to get the right price (or even better get dell or hp to start offering it as a factory preinstall option - thats where the profits really lie)

Miscrosoft isn't allowed to bundle. If they even tried to do what Apple does, they'd be in legal trouble again.

Microsoft can bundle anything they like so long as they offer a way to remove it if the user wishes - this was the problem with windows media player because it could not be removed easily. So long as it's easy to uninstall the software and microsoft doesn't take measures to prevent third parties from writing alternative applications that will run on windows then it shouldn't be a problem.

Wow, that is incredible. Kinda noob question: Is that NLD10 supposed to be part of a future Suse development or final release? Someone please set me straight... :(

Wow, that is incredible. Kinda noob question: Is that NLD10 supposed to be part of a future Suse development or final release? Someone please set me straight... :)

NLD is the "paid for" version of Novell's SUSE linux. Its like what mac os is to darwin.

NLD is the "paid for" version of Novell's SUSE linux. Its like what mac os is to darwin.

Er, sorta. NLD is the "paid for" enterprise edition. SLD is the "paid for" workstation/home desktop edition. OpenSuse would be the darwin of the group.

Beta 4 of OpenSuse is supposedly going to contain the code for Xgl and Compiz, leaving you to change a few config files and type in a few commands to get it running, right now its pretty tough to get it running without breaking something if you care for your linux install any.