[HOW TO] INSTALL ON GIGABYTE/ASUS/COMPATIBLE BOARDS

mtotho

999 posts in this topic

Hi

Thanks for this tutorial . In your "perfect Hackintosh" video in youtube I noticed that you have perfectly installed vamware . My problem is that I can not install vmware tools , every time it stucks @ mouse driver installation failure . As a result after restart guest i got only xp desktop a new hardware found window NO KEYBOARD NO MOUSE .

My computer's configuration :

p5w dh deluxe

4gb ddr2

sata 1 (osx10.5.2 ) two partition

sata 2 (winxp professional vmware detects as boot camp partition) two partition

IDE dvd writer

7600GT

I request you to help me to rectify my problem

Thanks

Shiladitya

Anyone try the new Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD installer with the Gigabyte and Asus boards?

good question. would be nice to have a new tutorial for this new version from kalyway :(

anyone up for it? i don't feel expert enough for this kind of thing.

I followed this thread but with the exception of the SMbios kext file found here. I used the one from the CS3 fix thread and that seemed to work with my setup a lot better.

Lan worked OTB, sound works with optical after kext in this thread, my 8800gts 512mb showed up after using the nvinject found here.

Excellent guide!

Has anyone encountered a problem with reading USB flash disks on a P5W? If I boot my machine (10.5.2 from the latest Kalyway install, default kernel) with a flash drive connected, I have no issues. If I boot without a flash drive connected, it won't mount them, nor will they show in disk utility (they DO show up in the system profiler though...)

Has anyone seen this? I've done my best to check for other posts in advance (hence the first-post... Ive been reading this thread for a long time)

Has anyone encountered a problem with reading USB flash disks on a P5W? If I boot my machine (10.5.2 from the latest Kalyway install, default kernel) with a flash drive connected, I have no issues. If I boot without a flash drive connected, it won't mount them, nor will they show in disk utility (they DO show up in the system profiler though...)

Has anyone seen this? I've done my best to check for other posts in advance (hence the first-post... Ive been reading this thread for a long time)

Darn, I wish I could remember where I read about this problem. I'm pretty sure it was on this thread, just earlier. I could be remembering totally wrong, but I think the poster said something about updating his iTunes to the latest version and it fixing it (though I could be totally wrong because WTF would fixing iTunes have to do with recognizing flash drives?).

sorry i have not been on for a week, been very busy. Mac user, thanks for answering peoples question (and with more knowledge than my answers would probably be). I will update the thread with any new updates to the mac world, to help me out, if anyone has anything to add to the guide, please post in a reply.

Hi, your signature is too big for this form and unnecessary details are there , that ruins the good reading experience B)

Darn, I wish I could remember where I read about this problem. I'm pretty sure it was on this thread, just earlier. I could be remembering totally wrong, but I think the poster said something about updating his iTunes to the latest version and it fixing it (though I could be totally wrong because WTF would fixing iTunes have to do with recognizing flash drives?).

I've noticed that after a bad shutdown-- either a crash (very rare) or a restart that involves manually holding down the power button-- there is an occasional message in the verbose (-v) boot that talks about being unable to load USB drivers. In those cases, flash drives and my Time Machine drive won't load. I've fixed this by only shutting down my computer and not ever restarting it, or in some cases, ejecting the disk before a restart.

Also, I used to encounter rare problems with the onboard USB on my DS3L, only with my large 300GB external USB drive. Sometimes the drives just didn't show up. Eventually, I noticed that the Time Machine partition on the drive would show up in disk utility but would fail to mount. I had to re-format it because it had corrupted sectors due to a bad shutdown in the middle of a Time Machine backup. Works like a charm now.

I have a 4-port USB 2.0 PCI card that always works-- maybe you could try that if you keep having problems. It was under $15.

Hope this random sporadic information helps somehow :)

Anyone try the new Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD installer with the Gigabyte and Asus boards?

I installed new 10.5.2 DVD on Asus P5W DH Deluxe. My setup is E6600, 4x1GB of ram, GeForce 7900GS, IDE Pioneer DVD and 2x320GB Seagate + 1x500GB Seagate HDD (SATA).

Install went without any problems (I used netkas + Vanilla kernel). Everything seems fine for now, although I haven't used onboard sound yet, since I have external soundcard. LAN works OTB. 4GB of ram is used / recognized, correct CPU frequency (OC) i reported, both cores are recognized and computer is recognized as MacPro3,1.

HDDs are configured as IDE, not AHCI, and I used MBR formating scheme (I already had JaS 10.4.8 installed, so I just erased that volume and installed over it).

I installed using PS/2 keyboard and bluetooth mouse. USB is working ok for now (my Wacom tablet and soundcard are both USB).

I didn't try to use sleep (I really don't need that option, but I'll probably test it one of these days just to see). Shutdown works normally.

I'm dual booting with Win XP via CHAIN0 (didn't have to change anything, since I used it for dual booting JaS installation).

My xbench score is 165.

I don't know - everything seems fine for now. System is snappy, LAN is working etc. I still haven't installed many apps, so I'm not sure if I'll encounter any problems there, but for now everything looks good.

All in all - this install went faster than Win XP install, and practically just as easy. I only had to choose correct drivers in "customize" part of installation, that's all.

SUCCESS:D:D:D!!!! one good/bad thing depending on how you look at it though.

when using 10.5.1 i got "Error_Generic_Message" during installation. used 10.5.2 on my EP35-DS3R and it worked. but i have to press F12, choose to boot from HD and choose my HD to boot into leopard. which in a way i kinda love it since its like my little secret :D anwyays i jsut wanted to say i love you all!!! :D and i hope everybody has as much success. will post back when i get more kexts running

*edit* ok i got sound and video working. my G7 mouse sucks w/o the drivers, so i gota look for that. however when ever i go into system preferences > desktop/screensaver it says could not load. any ideas?

Does anyone know what the main difference between netkas's sleep kernel and the vanilla kernel is. I am on vanilla now and everything on my system works great and is fast except for shutdown and restart (i don't care about sleep). I tried netkas's sleep kernel and restart and shutdown work but what else am I changing when using netkas's kernel. Does anyone know a way to edit the vanilla kernel for just restart and shutdown to work?

I've noticed that after a bad shutdown-- either a crash (very rare) or a restart that involves manually holding down the power button-- there is an occasional message in the verbose (-v) boot that talks about being unable to load USB drivers. In those cases, flash drives and my Time Machine drive won't load. I've fixed this by only shutting down my computer and not ever restarting it, or in some cases, ejecting the disk before a restart.

Also, I used to encounter rare problems with the onboard USB on my DS3L, only with my large 300GB external USB drive. Sometimes the drives just didn't show up. Eventually, I noticed that the Time Machine partition on the drive would show up in disk utility but would fail to mount. I had to re-format it because it had corrupted sectors due to a bad shutdown in the middle of a Time Machine backup. Works like a charm now.

I have a 4-port USB 2.0 PCI card that always works-- maybe you could try that if you keep having problems. It was under $15.

Hope this random sporadic information helps somehow :)

Thanks for the suggestion- I happen to have a USB2 card lying around, and I even had the sense to save the drivers disk (I picked it up for a G4 awhile back). I'll try that out tonight.

dci693: You are probably thinking of this thread that mentions iTunes and USB issues, it was because of an iPhone. So, you're not insane.

ok. im going to go out and but this hardware tomorrow. i just want to confirm that audio in and out work with this setup?

If you are talking about the Gigabyte DS3L then yes, the mic port works and yes the audio out works. I have not tested the line in port.

Just wanted to let everyone know about kalyway 10.5.2.

I'm on the Gigabyte DS3L, q6600, 4gigs of ram, Nvidia 8800GT.

EVERYTHING works OUT OF THE BOX with this board. No mods necessary. When you go to customize the install, just select the appropriate kext for your video card and you're good to go.

So to recap all of the following works out of the box:

- LAN

- AHCI w/ all 4 ports

- Sleep, you must wake by pressing the power button

- Shutdown

- Audio, Shows up as "HD Audio Output". AppleHDA patcher adds a few outputs if you need headphones or something.

- Video, depending on your video card.

Also, for anyone who happens to use Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, the AppleSMBIOS patch that mtotho provided causes problems with this program (it will install but won't start). Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and Dreamweaver work fine with this kext. So do not install this kext if you want to use Premiere Pro.

Hi All,

It's been a while, since I have been here and discussion seems to be focusing a lot more on ahci and ich9, so hope most people are enjoying their macintosh by now. :P

anyway, since I did not have time to play a lot with my mac, so I realized that I did not take care of the maxmem trick correctly and I am still getting kernel panics.

Can somebody kindly help me. here is where I have put this bit of information, is it in the correct place?

key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-legacy</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>maxmem=3072</string>

If it is not in the correct area, please tell me where to put it in the above few lines of code and

will also appreciate if you can tell me how to properly save the file, since the usual method explained above does not really work and the code text editor does not properly saves and closes as it should be.

thanks..

Just wanted to let everyone know about kalyway 10.5.2.

I'm on the Gigabyte DS3L, q6600, 4gigs of ram, Nvidia 8800GT.

EVERYTHING works OUT OF THE BOX with this board. No mods necessary. When you go to customize the install, just select the appropriate kext for your video card and you're good to go.

So to recap all of the following works out of the box:

- LAN

- AHCI w/ all 4 ports

- Sleep, you must wake by pressing the power button

- Shutdown

- Audio, Shows up as "HD Audio Output". AppleHDA patcher adds a few outputs if you need headphones or something.

- Video, depending on your video card.

Also, for anyone who happens to use Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, the AppleSMBIOS patch that mtotho provided causes problems with this program (it will install but won't start). Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and Dreamweaver work fine with this kext. So do not install this kext if you want to use Premiere Pro.

Hey drawrof,

Quick question for you. You say you have sleep working using Kalyway10.5.2. I'm assuming you mean the new distro that was just released. Which kernal did you install? Did you use the sleep kernal or one of the others?

We're using the same mobo here but sleep doesn't work for us. It just shuts the computer down. We're currently using vanilla kernal but we used Kalyway 10.5.1. plus the combo update to get to 10.5.2.

Thanks,

Bif

Hi, i have a problem when trying to install leopard (Kalyway 1.5.1), My PC has a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4, an AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-core processor, 4 GB of ram, and a GeForce mx420 64MB Video Card. SATA ASUS DVD Drive, a PATA Western Digital 100GB HD(Vista) and a PATA Western Digital 60GB HD(XP).

Every time i insert the installation disk, it starts loading all the files (still in DOS) but then it restarts suddenly. When I tried the 1.4.8 install, it stays at "Still waiting for root device." I have tried the -v vanilla flags, but it doesnt work either.

Most Troubleshooting guides help u once you are installing OS X, but i cant even get to that part.

ive been trying to get this to work out for 2 weeks already, if you can help me out i would REALLY APPRECIATE this,

Thanks.

sorry about my english, im Colombian.

Hey drawrof,

Quick question for you. You say you have sleep working using Kalyway10.5.2. I'm assuming you mean the new distro that was just released. Which kernal did you install? Did you use the sleep kernal or one of the others?

We're using the same mobo here but sleep doesn't work for us. It just shuts the computer down. We're currently using vanilla kernal but we used Kalyway 10.5.1. plus the combo update to get to 10.5.2.

Thanks,

Bif

yea, it's the new distro he just released a week or so ago. included with the release is something like 6 or 7 kernels and i'm just using the default one that's set at install which i believe is the shutdown kernel. i haven't tested any of the other kernels (including vanilla).

i highly recommend this release because it's a very comprehensive one; lots of stuff available to include at install. but i didn't actually need to add any kexts or anything other than what kalyway has checked as default.

sleep works fine. just tested it. but it doesn't wake from the mouse or keyboard. you have to press the power button to wake it up.

i had the same issues you are having with sleep with the combo update; don't quote me, but i remember reading that kalyway's combo update preserves the 10.5.1 kernel and this may be why.

Hey Mates, I am about to install 10.5.2 latest version dvd, does it resolve the kernel panic issue, that happens, if someone has more than 3gb of ram installed? Running: 10.5.1 + update. P5KC, 4gb ram. Sata HD and Sata DVDRW.nvidia 8400gs.

@DanielSCC, I am not sure if you have read this thread, http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;hl=hardwarebut it will be helpful if you can read it and find out if all of your hardware is supported. if you read that someone has used same hardware as you and was able to install this system on their hardware, then you will also be able to find some answers to your questions.. In the beginning I also much trouble. Also please fully read mtotho's guide, in the beginning he does clearly shows how you can change the bios entries. Firstly you need to make some changes to the bios in order to install the system, so please do more reading on this forum. Good luck.

yea, it's the new distro he just released a week or so ago. included with the release is something like 6 or 7 kernels and i'm just using the default one that's set at install which i believe is the shutdown kernel. i haven't tested any of the other kernels (including vanilla).

i highly recommend this release because it's a very comprehensive one; lots of stuff available to include at install. but i didn't actually need to add any kexts or anything other than what kalyway has checked as default.

sleep works fine. just tested it. but it doesn't wake from the mouse or keyboard. you have to press the power button to wake it up.

i had the same issues you are having with sleep with the combo update; don't quote me, but i remember reading that kalyway's combo update preserves the 10.5.1 kernel and this may be why.

Hi drawrof

Thanks for your post regarding the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L. ;)

Was wondering if you would share specific details regarding your hardware config:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

CPU: Intel 775pin Q6600 (Core 2 Quad 2.40Ghz) (Is this right ?)

Ram: 4gigs (What brand & in what config)

Video Card: Nvidia 8800GT (256mb or 512mb ? Board-Manufacturer?)

Hard Drive(s): (Manufacturer? Size? Sata or IDE? More than one?)

DVD : (Manufacturer? Sata or IDE?)

Mouse & Keyboard : (PS/2?)

Floppy Disk : (Yes or No ?)

Was also hoping you could share the changes you made to your bios settings.

Many many thanks in anticipation.

Cheers :D

Hi drawrof

Thanks for your post regarding the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L. :)

Was wondering if you would share specific details regarding your hardware config:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

CPU: Intel 775pin Q6600 (Core 2 Quad 2.40Ghz) (Is this right ?)

Ram: 4gigs (What brand & in what config)

Video Card: Nvidia 8800GT (256mb or 512mb ? Board-Manufacturer?)

Hard Drive(s): (Manufacturer? Size? Sata or IDE? More than one?)

DVD : (Manufacturer? Sata or IDE?)

Mouse & Keyboard : (PS/2?)

Floppy Disk : (Yes or No ?)

Was also hoping you could share the changes you made to your bios settings.

Many many thanks in anticipation.

Cheers :D

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L. AHCI is enabled. SMART Fan Control is off as advised in this guide. I believe everything else is default BIOS options.

CPU: Correct. I haven't overclocked or anything (yet). G0 stepping BTW.

Ram: 2x2Gb Patriot PC2-6400 800Mhz

Video Card: Factory Overclocked 8800GT 512Mb, Manufactured by BFG Tech

Hard Drive: GUID formatted 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA, 100 Gig Partition for Leopard, 365 Gig for Documents. I also have an old SATA Maxtor something or another (it came with my old Dell, so i really have no idea.) It's 80Gigs and I'm currently using it for XP.

DVD: Pioneer DVR-212D SATA. I haven't really tested this yet as far as burning goes, but it reads everything fine.

Mouse & Keyboard: $30 Dynex Keyboard and Mouse. Both USB. Both work fine. The Keyboard has a range of buttons on the site - the right is things like stop, play, louder volume etc. which all work with iTunes except for the Stop button (since iTunes has no Stop Button). Nothing on the left side works (mostly generic application launchers) except for one which does the same thing as pressing Alt+Tab and another which, as far as I can tell, types this single character inside the quotes: " ´ ". Ha.

No Floppy

There has been one small issue. PnP USB. It doesn't work when I boot with only my mouse and keyboard plugged in. But it does when I have my mouse, keyboard, USB Midi Controller, Printer, and Webcam all plugged in when I boot. Strange. But not a big issue. I have to test this, but I think as long as you boot with a USB key or something plugged in at boot it works.

Sleep doesn't work with the vanilla kernel. But it does with the stock mach_kernel. Strange though, because when i boot with the "sleepkernel" flag, sleep doesn't work. "mach_kernel" does. You'd think it'd be the other way around.

Glad to help out. It's quite exciting that this board works so well!