[HOW TO] INSTALL ON GIGABYTE/ASUS/COMPATIBLE BOARDS

mtotho

999 posts in this topic

If anyone missed it: you no longer need hacked kexts for full AHCI support with ds3l as of 10.5.4. I just spent a lot of time trying to fix my machine after installing the kexts from the first post. I replaced all those drivers back to the originals, turned on AHCI, and it booted right up... 3 sata drives, 2 in RAID. Only problem so far is the removable drive icons.

Hopefully I can pop in my other 2GB of ram and that will be fixed as well.

If anyone missed it: you no longer need hacked kexts for full AHCI support with ds3l as of 10.5.4. I just spent a lot of time trying to fix my machine after installing the kexts from the first post. I replaced all those drivers back to the originals, turned on AHCI, and it booted right up... 3 sata drives, 2 in RAID. Only problem so far is the removable drive icons.

You can try the Info.plist in the attached file it gives you the proper naming of the chipset as well in System Profiler. Also if by fulling working you mean all four ports showing up that happened with the update to 10.5.3 on my machine.

Hopefully I can pop in my other 2GB of ram and that will be fixed as well.

If by this you mean kernel panics with 4gb of ram then you can either disable the Jmicrom port or set it to AHCI mode and they should disappear.

AHCIFix.zip

Is there a any way to fix the orange removable drive icons without swapping out the kexts?

You replace the Info.plist in the two .kext with the ones from the file I posted you do not need to swap out either this or you can simply copy the internal icon to an external one inside of the .kext and this does it as well either way you do it external drives still show up as they should.

sudo -s

<password> enter

mv  /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns.back

cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/Internal.icns /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext

reboot

You replace the Info.plist in the two .kext with the ones from the file I posted you do not need to swap out either this or you can simply copy the internal icon to an external one inside of the .kext and this does it as well either way you do it external drives still show up as they should.

sudo -s

<password> enter

mv  /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns.back

cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/Internal.icns /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/External.icns

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext

reboot

Thank you very much. Is there any truth to this, from the first post: "The Orange drives are not only uglier, they can give problems with speed and permissions."

I'm concerned that even with the correct icons, the drives might behave and perform differently if the OS thinks they are external drives.

Thank you very much. Is there any truth to this, from the first post: "The Orange drives are not only uglier, they can give problems with speed and permissions."

I'm concerned that even with the correct icons, the drives might behave and perform differently if the OS thinks they are external drives.

I did not have any problems with speed and permission when I used the copy icon method it was exactly the same when I changed it to copying the Info.plist which tells the OS that the controller on the board is actually internal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone ;)

I only registered to say thanx to entire community because thanx to all of you I managed to install Leopard 10.5.2 (Kalyway) on my PC.

My hardware is:

DFI LAN PARTY DK P35-T2RS mobo

Inel C2D E8200 2,66GHz CPU

2x1GB Mushkin DDR2 800MHz RAM

ECS GF8800 GT gfx card

My LAN (onboard) worked out of the box, for audio I had to install patch which I found on this forum and for graphics I used NVinject. I am also using 2 old ATA drives (DVD-R and DVD reader, both Pioneer, they were both recognized by Leopard and they are working flawlessly).

All software I installed is working OK except Adobe CS3 Master Suite which sometimes does not work (crashes on Activation screen).

Thanx again and keep up the good work!

:thumbsup_anim:

Hello everybody. I have not been active in the scene for a while, nor will i be.. but i would like to report that 10.5.3 update works fine.. along with 10.5.4, (not software update)

You may run into video issues (no more qe/ci) but you need to take it up with the graphics section as i can no longer offer support.. i did however manage to get an EFI graphics string workign for my 8800gts 640mb.. i would reccomend an efi graphics string if you can figure out how to use one.

@dci, o hey watsup, youve been around since i first joined the scene, i remember u on the first ds3l threads, haha.

@dci, o hey watsup, youve been around since i first joined the scene, i remember u on the first ds3l threads, haha.
I haven't been around that long, but long enough. :(

I still prowl the boards because I need to redo my DS3L (I still get the occasional kernel panic), and I still have yet to unbox my p5w dh!

• 2 weeks later...

I have read through about 50% of this thread and havent seen my issue yet...so if it is already addressed, could someone point me in the right direction?

Anyway, the install goes fine and I get the the white apple boot screen, it seems to be doing good, and then the screen goes black...my monitor does not lose any signal, the LCD just displays a black screen and nothing ever happens from there.

I am thinking that my mistake may be selecting video drivers in the Kalyway customize option right before I click install. Here is my setup...

Intel Core 2 Quad

Asus P5E3 Delux

3 SATA Hard Drives

1 SATA DVD ROM

8 GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512

One of my hard drives was empty, so I am trying to get it to work. I was able to get it to work on a friends machine using the following specs.

Core 2 Duo

Asus P5K/EPU

1 SATA HD

1 SATA DVD ROM

4 GB RAM

In the customize options, all that I selected was the vanilla kernal and the Nvidia graphics drivers. Thanks in advance for the help.

I have read through about 50% of this thread and havent seen my issue yet...so if it is already addressed, could someone point me in the right direction?

Anyway, the install goes fine and I get the the white apple boot screen, it seems to be doing good, and then the screen goes black...my monitor does not lose any signal, the LCD just displays a black screen and nothing ever happens from there.

I am thinking that my mistake may be selecting video drivers in the Kalyway customize option right before I click install.

In the customize options, all that I selected was the vanilla kernal and the Nvidia graphics drivers. Thanks in advance for the help.

Don't select any video options in the kalyway install. Just let it come up with generic video, then try to install vid drivers using NVInject.

I've heard that 512mb cards are unfortunately the most problematic for whatever reason. Have other people had success using the same card as you?

Ok, thanks! I will give it a try!

One more thing...in the guide, it says

-*If you have a "Core 2" or compatible processor, choose the Option for both Vanilla and the Fix. If you have a pentium, do not select this option

-Choose MBR_EFI emulation rather than GUID (last option)

I see the Vanilla Kernal, but I don't see any "Fix". Perhaps I downloaded a newer version of Kalyway or is there a Fix option somewhere in the customize options?

Ok, thanks! I will give it a try!

One more thing...in the guide, it says

I see the Vanilla Kernal, but I don't see any "Fix". Perhaps I downloaded a newer version of Kalyway or is there a Fix option somewhere in the customize options?

You must be installing from Kalyway 10.5.2. In the older version (10.5.1) you needed to select the fix along with vanilla. If you have the 10.5.2 disk, don't worry about it.

It's almost always best to install with a minimum of drivers, then try to get your devices working.

Hey, firstly thanks for the great guide. It helped me decide what to buy and how to get my computer working.

But, after I got everything working (or so I thought) I decided to install WoW. It just went to black screen so i rebooted and tried to run it again. Same problem. So i restarted and tried safe mode. (idk why but I thought it couldnt hurt..) but after booting into that safe mode once and tryng to no avail, i attempted to boot back regularly but couldnt. Now, all i can do is boot into safe mode, if i dont I get that multilingual restart screen.

Specs

ep35-ds3l

q6600 @2.4

8800 gts (g92) 512mb

6gb mushkin ddr2 800

Edit: in the midst of all that i changed the boot order from dvd drive frist and hdd second to hdd first and dvd drive second. I guess that was the problem because when i switched it back to dvd first it went perfectly.

CiZiN

Hey, firstly thanks for the great guide. It helped me decide what to buy and how to get my computer working.

But, after I got everything working (or so I thought) I decided to install WoW. It just went to black screen so i rebooted and tried to run it again. Same problem. So i restarted and tried safe mode. (idk why but I thought it couldnt hurt..) but after booting into that safe mode once and tryng to no avail, i attempted to boot back regularly but couldnt. Now, all i can do is boot into safe mode, if i dont I get that multilingual restart screen.

Specs

ep35-ds3l

q6600 @2.4

8800 gts (g92) 512mb

6gb mushkin ddr2 800

Edit: in the midst of all that i changed the boot order from dvd drive frist and hdd second to hdd first and dvd drive second. I guess that was the problem because when i switched it back to dvd first it went perfectly.

CiZiN

do you have qe/ci enabled on your video card?

Quick question...I am at work, so I have not had a chance to retry my install...but I was wondering if anyone has tried an eSATA HD. I have one at home and was wondering if it was going to be a headache to get working?
Of course, the proof will come when you try, but there's no reason to expect that it would be a problem. Having an eSATA drive is kind of like connecting a SATA drive externally via a long cable to the SATA headers on your motherboard. There's no SATA-to-USB conversion stuff happening, that's why it's much faster than a USB 2.0 drive.

Quick question...I am at work, so I have not had a chance to retry my install...but I was wondering if anyone has tried an eSATA HD. I have one at home and was wondering if it was going to be a headache to get working?

on some motherboards with a built in esata, they use different controller usually for the esata port, you just have to make sure that controller works. if it doesnt, you can simply buy one of those internal sata to i/o esata devices. that would surely work as long as your normal sata works.