Wireless Cards That Work

Jynx

38 posts in this topic

Hey guys, not sure if this is posted anywhere here or on the net (tried searching google)

Can we start a list of Wireless Cards both PCI/PCMCIA & USB that actually work within OSX86.

I haven given up on the MA111 v1 Prism2 adapter.

Looking into buying another USB wireless adapter, figure we could start a list of ones we know work.

Pheobe has one for $20.00 but I don't believe the chipset is suported, I forget the chipset manu now off hand though.

I think my g/f is picking up a Belkin 7050 as I see people have gotten it working using Raylink drivers, however I read no one can configure WEP since the network utility doesnt work. But I guess I can setup my wireless router to only allow certain MAC address's instead of using WEP for security.

I've got MSI CB54G2 [PCMCIA] and and Belkin f5d7050 [usb] - both rt2500 chip by ralink - and they don't like to work together in one computer - usualy belkin even don't want wake up - I tried on windows and the same story on OSX 10.4.3. I think the drivers aren't perfect - PCMCIA card work great but usb has some problems even when I uninstal PCMCIA card and driver for it - belkin [usb] still doesn't work - sometimes it's wake up especialy on mac os but on windows nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
Belkin F5D7000 PCI, F5D7010 PCMCIA, F5D7011PCMCIA all working for me.

Hi, I've read your post about you being able to get Belkin F5D7011 pcmcia card to work.

I am trying Belkin F5D7011 pcmcia card on 10.4.3 and followed all the steps posted on the forum.

Download 10.4.4 Extensions, find IO80211Family.kext ---> add <string>pci14e4,4318</string> to Info.plist. (in Windows it says 4318)

Copy it to /System/Library/Extensions and than chown and chmod and then kextcache.

I reboot and see nothing. Nothing happens. I don't even see the baseball diamond, nor get anything out of ioreg -l | grep 'pci14e4'

Am I missing something? could you reply me back your steps? I would greatly appreciate if you could. Thank you very much in advance,

-Kivanc

Go here http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...ulip\.kext

Download and install the Tulip.kext (instructions are in the post)

You need to go deep within the IO80211Family.kext file to the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext file. Edit its Info.plist file then go into terminal and find your way to the folder with the extension in it.

type sudo chown -R root:wheel IO80211Family.kext

sudo cp -rf ./IO80211Family.kext /System/Library/Extensions

Also go into the folder with the 10.4.4 extensions in terminal and type this

sudo chown -R root:wheel IONetworkingFamily.kext

sudo cp -rf ./IONetworkingFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions

Reboot and you should seee the AirPort Daimond next to your clock. If it is there go into terminal and type this:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

You want to edit these lines:

<key>BSD Name</key>

---> <string>en0</string> (Change the en0 to en1)

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

---> <integer>0</integer> (Change the 0 to 1)

In order to exit and save the file press ctrl-x.

Reboot again and it should work! This is the way I did it and it worked! Right now I posting from Safari with my Linksys WMP54GS!

BTW I read that some people had to delete certain files such as/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

/System/Library/Extensions.mkext. I hope I was of help.

You need to go deep within the IO80211Family.kext file to the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext file. Edit its Info.plist file then go into terminal and find your way to the folder with the extension in it.

Reboot and you should seee the AirPort Daimond next to your clock. If it is there go into terminal and type this:

<key>BSD Name</key>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<integer>6</integer>

Reboot again and it should work! This is the way I did it and it worked! Right now I posting from Safari with my Linksys WMP54GS!

BTW I read that some people had to delete certain files such as/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

The Atheros kext are now in the 80211 package in the new Intel 10.4.5 update. My built-in Atheros card now works in my Toshiba laptop with the new package without any manual editing of plist files.

Just get the standalone update:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...e1045combo.html

Then take the bits you want out of it w/out doing the actual install. Might need to use Pacifist though.

Would it be dangerous to directly install the update?

EDIT: Apparently the update is just for PowerPCs, so it's not installable anyways. If it's just for PPCs, would the kexts from it be any good on an Intel machine then?

<key>BSD Name</key>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<integer>6</integer>

Hi,

I was wondering why do we need Tulip drivers at all? My onboard ethernet (wired) works directly with the installation of 10.4.3. My only problem is with the wireless card (Belkin F5D7011). Do I still need to install tulip drivers?

Thanks a lot for the help!!

-Kivanc

Hi,

I was wondering why do we need Tulip drivers at all? My onboard ethernet (wired) works directly with the installation of 10.4.3. My only problem is with the wireless card (Belkin F5D7011). Do I still need to install tulip drivers?

Thanks a lot for the help!!

-Kivanc

I find that it is better to install them becuase every time that I didn't I got a message in the System profiler.

It involved the IO802Family.kext's dependencies being incomplete.

Dependency Errors: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

After I installed the tulip drivers I never got the message again.

I don't quite know how it helped, but it has every time that I've installed OSX86.

I find that it is better to install them becuase every time that I didn't I got a message in the System profiler.

It involved the IO802Family.kext's dependencies being incomplete.

Dependency Errors: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

After I installed the tulip drivers I never got the message again.

I don't quite know how it helped, but it has every time that I've installed OSX86.

Thanks FullMetal! I will give it a shot tonight- and I hope I will send my next message from my wireless connection :)

• 1 month later...

on my HP laptop, i have the HP W500 atheros built in wifi card & right after it installed...it worked fine. After a reboot it no longer worked. When i edit the networkinterface.plist as shown above (from en0 to en1) then the "airport diamond" next to the clock no longer shows up. So I need to keep it at en0

any smart people have some thoughts on this?

I know this sounds stupid, but boot with battery power instead of AC adapter. You can plug in the AC after OSX starts booting. Some ACPI assignments are different under battery versus AC power and the change in configuration may activate the NIC. This was just an observation with a built in wired NIC which normally would not turn on being suddenly activated if the laptop POST was done on battery power.

• 1 month later...

<key>BSD Name</key>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<integer>6</integer>

Would you have any more detailed directions for this? I am a little lost by this line:

what exactly am I editing in the Info.plist file?

Would you have any more detailed directions for this? I am a little lost by this line:

what exactly am I editing in the Info.plist file?

My Pc insists that IO80211Family.kext cannot be found... I have searched my powermac G5 and all my developer connection dvd's but I cant find it either...

Could you please rephrase your explanation with more steps? Or help me with my problem?

Thanks!

<edit>

Ok, I found the kext files. But now mac osx refuses to boot :dev:

I get as far as the square window right after the full white window with the gray apple logo and that turning thingy. My nic is a athethingy and it's stuffed inside an IBM R51.

Can I save my osx install, or is another reïnstall calling for me?

Oh yes, I used the kext files from the 10.4.5 intel update, and I am currently using 10.4.1 whilst waiting for 10.4.5 to download...

Cheers!

</edit>

<edit2>

I have done everything from scratch... reïnstalled osx (10.4.1) and then downloaded IO80211Family.kext edited the plist in the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext file (added <string>pci168c,1014</string>). Then I did the console line thingy but nothing shows up :(. I do not understand, everything I do seems to be right afaik.

Anyways, my specs (full)

R51 ibm laptop

wireless mini-pci thingy (subsystem ID 8331:17AB <string>pci168c,1014</string>)

if I try the ioreg thingy in the console thingy it returns:

dries-potties-computer:~ Tobey$ ioreg -l

| | | +-o ethernet@2 <class IOPCIDevice, registered, matched, active, $

| | | {

| | | "AAPL,slot-name" = <"Mini-PCI Slot 1">

| | | "IODeviceMemory" = (({"address"=18446744072637972480,"lengt$

| | | "device-id" = <14100000>

| | | "IOChildIndex" = 5

| | | "name" = "ethernet"

| | | "IOName" = "ethernet"

| | | "vendor-id" = <8c160000>

| | | "revision-id" = <01000000>

| | | "subsystem-vendor-id" = <ab170000>

| | | "IOInterruptControllers" = ("8259-pic")

| | | "Power Management private data" = "{ this object = c167b900$

| | | "Power Management protected data" = "{ theNumberOfPowerStat$

| | | "class-code" = <00000200>

| | | "compatible" = <"pci17ab,8331","pci168c,1014","pciclass,020$

| | | "subsystem-id" = <31830000>

| | | "assigned-addresses" = <1010020200000000000021c000000000000$

| | | "reg" = <00100200>

| | | "IOInterruptSpecifiers" = (<0b00000007000000>)

| | | }

Is that only because I put it into that plist?

I have been trying to get this wireless stuff to work for over a day now, I've tried different methods and reinstalled osx a total of 10 times after a crash. I'm sick of it :( can anyone help me?

I hope you can!

Cheers

</edit2>

I'm wireless! See my sig for the config. I've got everything working on my Hackintosh except for QE/CI on my nVidia Ti4600 - and I guess Macvidia will have those shortly. Very cool stuff. I did a fresh install of MyZar's 10.4.5 over the weekend on my Dual Xeon thinking I'd be seeing kernel panic's galore. Much to my surprise this all went pretty smoothly. My little wireless network is pretty flaky though. As I write, the signal strength is all over the board - my router is only about 15 feet away :blink: Oh, well. Life on the bleeding edge I guess...

If your using a laptop

BEfore you run out and buy a PCMCIA card ensure that your Mac OS X is detecting and loading the driver for your Cardbus device.

The reasons are obvious :( don't make the mistake I did. btw.

if you have a Texas Instrument PCIxx21 Cardbus controller. Then you're in a pickle

• 8 months later...

Could someone with a laptop with 2 nics, a built-in nic and a wifi nic post their entire NetworkInterfaces.plist file?

My wifi nic is being detected as a regular nic, and i dont have an entry for the second one, just a firewire card.

which im not sure if it should be in there either. just trying to do some troubleshooting.

thanks for the help.