AAPL falling down due to recession fear

Ai Haibara

14 posts in this topic

After CFO of Apple, Inc. Peter Oppenheimer announced the financial results of last quarter, the AAPL title has started falling down.

Even if Q1 2008 was the greatest financial quarter of Apple history, the conservative previsions for Q2 2008 were under the expectations and this has made analysts fear the recession ghost, which is actually taking down the entire US market.

Due to this, AAPL initially went down of about 5$ and then, in the afterhours, shareholders started selling shares as fast as they could.

At the moment, AAPL is losing about 18% from its last close, which was set at 155,64$ yesterday.

http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/b?s=AAPL

aaplcv5.png

Sherry Haibara

Don't blame it on the recession fears, the problem is the Q2 08 forecast as you noted. The DOW actually did good today, gaining 298 points. While I do think there will indeed be a recession, the congressional budget office says otherwise.

The reason for Apple's poor stock performance is explained here: Apple Sliced as Forecast Flops.

Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer suggested the current quarter won't be nearly as robust. Gross margin is expected to drop from 34.7% to 32% or so, hurt by higher stock options cost and the seasonal drop-off in sales.
Apple's major promotion at its annual product expo last week was the MacBook Air, a thin $1,800 laptop that can fit into a manila envelope but perhaps not into most family budgets, these days. The Mac Air certainly didn't stir Apple's fans the way the iPod and iPhone have in the past, and failed to stem the 33% year-to-date slide in the company's shares.

Leopard is out, and the surge in Mac sales and the holidays are over. Apple is not going to be making as much money this year, it's that simple. That's why the stock price has dropped. Things like the iPhone and Leopard actually helped Apple's stocks. The Air hasn't, it appeals to a niche market, and while it may sucessful it's not going to be anything special in terms of profit.

if the freakin media would stop doomsaying "it's a recession, it's a recession, blah blah blah" i bet the stock market wouldn't fluctuate anywhere near what it is

it's all these freakin panic attack bastards that are screwing everything up. "slow growth" is NOT A RECESSION

The more I think about it and look at the numbers, the more I think there isn't a REAL recession here. There's only fears of a recession, which could indeed cause a recession if the media doesn't stop milking that fear and profiting from the hype. The only true problem is the mortgage crisis, and that's no one's problem but the low class people who bought into the adjustable rate scams.

The only true problem is the mortgage crisis, and that's no one's problem but the low class people who bought into the adjustable rate scams.

Let's not forget all the higher income people throughout the world who invested in bonds and funds into which these defaulted mortgages were sliced and diced and thrown into. That's what the global repercussions of the sub-prime mortgage crisis are about. I can't get over the fact that all the merchants who sold and made commissions on these "sales" and the investment managers that parsed these questionable investments into relatively secure ones are getting off scot-free while the companies they worked for and the investors who supported them have taken such massive losses.

I don't know about legalities and economics, but common sense tells me these guys are the true thieves.

Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer suggested the current quarter won't be nearly as robust. Gross margin is expected to drop from 34.7% to 32% or so, hurt by higher stock options cost and the seasonal drop-off in sales.

Is that such a bad thing?

It's not like they just said "Guys, we won't earn ANYTHING for months"! They just said they'll maybe earn something less than what they earned last quarter.

Is this a good reason to take down a title of the 16%? I think it's not, but I'm not an economist. What do they think, I wonder...

Sherry Haibara

Let's not forget all the higher income people throughout the world who invested in bonds and funds into which these defaulted mortgages were sliced and diced and thrown into. That's what the global repercussions of the sub-prime mortgage crisis are about. I can't get over the fact that all the merchants who sold and made commissions on these "sales" and the investment managers that parsed these questionable investments into relatively secure ones are getting off scot-free while the companies they worked for and the investors who supported them have taken such massive losses.

I don't know about legalities and economics, but common sense tells me these guys are the true thieves.

There's lots of people at fault in that, but the biggest fault by far was with the people who took the loans. These crooks wouldn't have sold the loans if they didn't have sheep to feed the loans to. It's like the SAT: all answers are correct, you have to choose the most correct answer.