Which Version of OSX is best?

Shad0w 0f D0UBT

21 posts in this topic

I have the iAtkos 1.0i installed now, but i was wondering which is the best method to install, meaning no problems in the long run. Currently after i restart or shut down Leopard I can't boot back into it, it just tells me to hold the restart button, and restart, and even after doing that it doesn't work. Any ideas?

ok, ill try that as soon as i have my laptop back up and running.i am just reinstalling iatkos on there, i decided to patch the older image with the ir2 just to see if that does anything, but im pretty sure you're right, i've heard of these kernel panic things, and never bothered to look into them

It depends on which motherboard you are running. If you can install EFI-V8, the method Leopard would be the Retail DVD. It's as close to a real mac as it gets. I am running a Retail Leopard on my P35-DS4, all original kext except for appleSMBIOS.kext and desmos.kext.

I have the iAtkos 1.0i installed now, but i was wondering which is the best method to install, meaning no problems in the long run.

Buy a Mac.

Honestly, nobody here has a crystal ball and can absolutely 100% guarantee a method that will perfectly allow every single future update to work forever and ever.

The closer your hardware is to a real Intel Mac, the less problems you *should* have, though that's certainly subject to change.

Your best choice is to keep going at it, take your time, use google alot, and fiddle with the bios. Make no more then 1 change at a time and take breaks as you get frustrated. Eventually you figure out all your issues and everything becomes ALOT easier the 2nd and 3rd time.

Also until your 100% I VERY MUCH recommend always booting with -v

so i did boot with -v. and at the very bottom it tells me:Version:9b18Kernel Version: darwin kernel version 9.1.0: wednesday oct 31 17:46:22 PDT 2007; root:xnu-1228.0.2~1/release_I386let me know if there is anything else you need to know.I am running an inspiron 1720 with a :C2D T72008600m GT2GB DDR2 667160GB SATA HD (AHCI)Dell Wireless 1390 (works right away )Dell Bluetooth 355 (works right away)only things i need working are sound and video, but im not too worried about those right now. It also seems it is frozen after i run it -v.ok, so now i can't even boot into windows i just get a blinking screen, i tried running all the bootrec.exe commands, and marking the vista partition as active. so any clues now. i am just about fed up with dealing with this, and may eventually just buy a mac. if you guys have no solution to getting into windows, do you all know of any programs where i will be able to recover the data on my hd. i obviously cant boot into windows so i'd have to boot some sort of software from the cd.

so i did boot with -v. and at the very bottom it tells me:Version:9b18Kernel Version: darwin kernel version 9.1.0: wednesday oct 31 17:46:22 PDT 2007; root:xnu-1228.0.2~1/release_I386let me know if there is anything else you need to know.I am running an inspiron 1720 with a :C2D T72008600m GT2GB DDR2 667160GB SATA HD (AHCI)Dell Wireless 1390 (works right away )Dell Bluetooth 355 (works right away)only things i need working are sound and video, but im not too worried about those right now. It also seems it is frozen after i run it -v.ok, so now i can't even boot into windows i just get a blinking screen, i tried running all the bootrec.exe commands, and marking the vista partition as active. so any clues now. i am just about fed up with dealing with this, and may eventually just buy a mac. if you guys have no solution to getting into windows, do you all know of any programs where i will be able to recover the data on my hd. i obviously cant boot into windows so i'd have to boot some sort of software from the cd.

Don't panic. You should be able to boot back into vista. You may have overwritten your vista boot mgr. Pop in your vista disk and do a repair.

• 4 weeks later...

unfortunately i've been gone for a while and just got home, i actually tried to get my vista back up and running through many different ways, but none of them worked. i reformatted, and got vista back on, but since im the idiot i am im gonna give it another go, and if i get the error screen i willpost pics, :angel:

sorry to revive an old thread, but do any of you have any clue on how to resolve this kernel panic issue. i've tried installing 2 different versions and i get the same thing. after restarting the first time, it happens in the process of shutting down, and then i get the please restart and evry time i boot up i get it too

Your best choice is to keep going at it, take your time, use google alot, and fiddle with the bios. Make no more then 1 change at a time and take breaks as you get frustrated. Eventually you figure out all your issues and everything becomes ALOT easier the 2nd and 3rd time.

Also until your 100% I VERY MUCH recommend always booting with -v

I agree with Hyper X Take your time and like Hyper X said only make 1 change per reinstall! I could have a macbook instead and everything working 100 % and easy. But I'm glad I didn't, I have learned so much through trial and error. Not to mention the OSX86 community as a hole. To tell you I must have over 100 reinstalls in the last year and about 10 since the 5.2 update.

Good luck, What does it say when you boot with -v?

Eventually when I have the time I am going to try and post an Easy Install method using some of the more recent programs out there that not very many How To's are using or at least not enough and I keep reading old ones :unsure:.

At any rate I was only able to kalyway to install on my setup then I had to use ACPI JaS 10.4.8 kexts. I just got done talking with both JaS and Kalyway in IRC and there is indication that Kalyway is going to start including the JaS 10.4.8 ACPI kexts with the install disc as an option which will help a lot of us laptop users out.

Another thing I should mention is that you should use NVinstaller if you haven't for your card. It works for mine, then check out the Asus Laptop Owner thread and read the bit posted by someone who got the VGA out working if you need dual monitors. Also kext helper is very useful and saves time.

Also I would suggest that you partition your drive or use two hard drives and use SuperDuper! to clone OSX once you have it in a working state so that if you screw something up you can boot into the other and fix it or just clone back over.

For now I have to stick with 10.5.1 because 10.5.2 causes too many conflicts with kext files and kernel panics on the pm965. I have posted and email information about the pm965 chipset but I have no indication if much work has been or will be done any time soon but I imagine it is or will be coming. If the ACPI issue is resolved then many of the kext issues will hopefully go away and both cores I hope will work if the kernel can be patched.

wow, so i finally have a triple boot of xp, vista , and kalway setup. so far i just have my video card fully functioning. unfortunately after installing the drivers/kexts for my 8600m gt i am not able to shut down or restart properly. it just turns my monitor off and my computer is still running. i have to hold my power button down, and afaik i think this causes slower boot up times. any info on restarting and shutting down properly for now would be nice.

thanks a lot guys. i have really learned a lot from this community.