Best reccomended Motherboard?

mtotho

24 posts in this topic

I checked HCL and found some good motherboards but i would like to know which motherboard is known as being the most compatible.. everything fully working. I already have a q6600 and an 8800gts which is very compatible

The cheapest one I have seen so far is the P35-DS3L. It seems to be the 'light' version of the DS3P/DS3R/DS4 boards. Identical except no FW, no Sata-Raid, and it has only 1 PCI-e 16x slot, and ALC888 audio chip instead of ALC889A of the other boards. It's just over $100 equivalent in my currency here.

If you want cheaper then you need to look at other (read older) chipsets than the P35 (which also supports the new 45nm chips).

i might have to go with the p35-ds3r, it is only 30 bucks more and they dont have the ds3l on newegg and thats the only site i trust really.

I recommend this motherboard if you can find one:

Asrock Conroe945G-DVI

its almost perfect except the EFI section.

Works perfecty with EFI V3 and 10.5.1

Audio - AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

Video - Though its ID is what OS X looks for, for some reason there seems to be IOPCIPrmaryMatch Error

GLAN - Works Natively

Sleep - Haven't tried it but some say that it works if you enable S setting sin BIOS

Supports SATAx4, IDEx1, DDRx4, PCIe, brings DVI out mini-card

These are the only things that are non-stock in my setup:

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, dsmos.kext, AppleSMBios.kext. Other then that everything else is stock, exception for the EFI bootloader, and I don't have "Minor Disk Errors"

is there any in the 0-100 dollar range? thanks

You might consider the GA-965P-DS3. Its a great board that is well supported here, and it is 90 dollars at Newegg.

...newegg and thats the only site i trust really.

Tigerdirect.com is not bad. I have found some good deals there, and they ship really quickly. I pretty much just use Newegg and Tigerdirect.

i scored an Abit AB9 QuadGT for free because i helped out someone with there computer, they ended needing a new mobo and gave me that one, and its fully working.... does anyone here know how good this board is with leopard? thanks

Chipsets

North Bridge Intel P965 Express

South Bridge Intel ICH8R

Sound

ac '97

Serial ATA

- Intel® Matrix Storage Tech(AHCI & RAID0/1/5/10)

- 2 x eSATA 3Gb/s through JMicron® JMB363 support 0,1JBOD RAID function

LAN

- On board PCI Gigabit LAN controller supports 10/100/1000M Ethernet

and apparently has realtek audio and lan chipset

there are ways to do it on 680i and 640i(50i idk) chipsets, but for the most part they are pretty crappy. But i figure since i scored this nice little intel chipset for free i may aswell check it out.

help me...

i have this

p5ld2 deluxe, but the sound on board was broken and useless

so, i buy new sound card

SOUND

creative soundblaster 5.1

how can i get the audio work???!!!

i've lost my vista and xp boot too....

owh God, poor me!!!!! ;)

plz help me!!!!!!

I use a P5k Deluxe with great results. Network works out of the box, sound works with a kext, wifi works with a driver. EFI works, good for overclocking as well.

Im with ya on this aswell, i thought it would have tons of issues but in the end it was easy. The only little snags i had was that i needed to use a USB enclosure adapter for the DVD drive as it wouldnt boot properly and the ADI sound card but with the correct driver selected from the Kalway build the sound card is perfect :unsure:

Not to mention i have my 2.33Ghz @ 3.2Ghz day in day out :)

I can only speak for two I tried.

Intel D975XBX2 is a decent one. Everything except for mic in on the sound works as expected. But, trying to install retail DVD can be a cumbersome work. Most successful installations are done with EFI_V5.1 and one of the patched Leopard. I returned mine and got the P35-DS4.

It is almost perfect and so close to a real Mac Pro. I am running a Retail DVD install with only AppleSMBIOS.kext replaced. No need for other inject kexts with the new gfx-string fix. All credit goes to people like Karaakeha1, Ls8, Netkas, who provided a wonderful working guide for the board.

I know it's only a matter of time until people work out the kinks for their board, but as of now, P35-DXX series has most of those kinks worked out.

I'm also looking at the P35-DS4. The only thing is i dont see a good install guide for it. I wanted to use the kalyway disc as I that seems like the easiest install path to take(I also don't have any other mac to use to help with the install). From the wiki pages it says this board uses the retail osX plus the EFI v8. I'm not sure what that translates into as far as install procedure, and I'm having a heck of a time finding out. So far the only thing that I know doesn't work with this board is shutdown, but is there confirmation on IDE drives? Thanks for the help ppl!Oh if anybody has an install guide for the gigabyte p35-ds4 please share :)

does anyone know if the ASUS P5K premium (black pearl edition) works???? (intel P35/ICH9R)

thanks,

a82ndrigger

Yes, I'm using that mobo right now. Currently dual booting with Vista 64-bit using EasyBCD. Audio-in and WI-FI still needs to be fixed though.